Bad purchases you've made

ITT: I want to hear your embarrassing car purchases that you now regret.

I don't have a greentext story or anything, I'm just dealing with a 2013 Jeep Wrangler that I bought a year ago. I rushed into it, barely knew anything about Jeeps, and let myself get coerced by the dealer.

With no credit I got an 18% APR for 72 months. This fucking shit bare bones stock unmodded gray heep wrangler JK is costing me $600 a month. I've had it for 14 months, have paid well over $10,000 on it so far, and the principal has dropped about $3000. And I'm still upside down by about $2,000 on a best case scenario clean trade-in deal.

I let myself get fucked. I'm getting rid of it in the next few weeks or so, even if I have to just eat the loss on the negative equity. I might be able to get someone who wants a Jeep to take over payments though, we'll see. Getting a way cheaper shitbox, it's what I should have gotten in the first place.

At least I have a credit score now and learned to drive a stick.

>I'll take it to the beach!
>I can take the top off!
>It's a convertible!
>I'll check out Jeep meetups!
>I can go offroading in it!
>I can mod it!
>I'll refinance with my dad in a few months anyway, I just need a new car now!
>hurry up and sign the papers before someone else buys it!

>did none of these things
>now have a natural resentment of Jeeps
>still have to do the Jeep wave

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A-AdILSqldc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bought a 500$ explorer

put in 1500$ in parts, waterpump, transfer case, new axle shafts, wheel bearings, etc

engine decides to take a shit all over the interstate 3 months later

Damn, I was almost you. I've been driving my 01 grand Cherokee for 3 years, and while down in louisiana, noticed everybody is driving a wrangler. There were even clubs and shit for them. I got myself gassed up to get one as my next car but thankfully I was able to take a step back and realize I didn't actually want one

I didn't want a Jeep either, I just wanted something to drive and got impatient.

I could have gotten a better deal on brand new one, cheaper, with better interest, in a better color and in better, less scratched up condition if I'd been able to wait a few months, but I didn't. Come to think if it this wasn't even the best Jeep I saw, my dad was just getting tired of going with me to dealerships and talked me into just getting this one.

Rethink jeeps, folks. If you want one, wait 6 months and see if you still want one.

Ouch. I got 4.5% as a first time buyer through a credit union with no credit history. That was almost 2 years ago, have a 750 now

Recently walked away from a dealer paying way more for an 06 jeep liberty than I should have. Slowly starting to regret it, but ive been wrenching in it like crazy, even when it's been unecessary, learning all about how cars work. Can't say it was a terrible purchase. Super clean, not a ton of miles, but not a little amount either. Just paid more than I would've liked. Paying around 10 grand, shouldve been 6. Dealers fees are fucked.

I had no idea first time buyer was a thing. If I'd known that I would have gotten something brand new. Not barely used. I simply didn't know it was a thing at the time. I'm so fucking mad every time I think about it.

Also, been nice to have to drive in the canyon, snow, and so on. Gets me where I want without worry so I can spend my time /out/. That was the main reason I bought it.

Posting a greentext

I was just like that, but with a late 80s YJ. Thought id do all this cool shit with it and never did. Ended up 1,000 in the hole when I sold it and got a much better car

Man, you should know better. Isn't the rule of thumb pay at least 4 grand on a used so it doesn't shit on you immediately?

body was clean and i just wanted a 4x4 rig for dirt cheap
hell there was no warning the engine was about to piss oil , no knocking or low oil pressure etc, ended up with a nice crack in the block

Well fuck that explorer with a broom stick.

Bought a 2wd truck

>but highschool math teacher-san, when are we ever going to use math?

Well I still bought used. Just got a 2009 ranger 2.3 manual for $8000. Only had 67000 miles

I bought a dart

...then another one

Forgive me Veeky Forums, I have learned

What's actually wrong with the Jeep and not your shitty financial situation?

>literal credit card levels of interest on a car purchase
holy shit why did you let this happen

07 pt cruiser
Yeah

Your right, everyone should have a 200 dollar shitheap that breaks down every week

or you can be smart and save dem shekels so you can pay cash mone

>gay furfag
Opinion discarded

Nothing, I never said there's anything wrong with Jeeps. It's just easy to think you want one and then realize when it's too late that you didn't really want one. And they're about 30% more expensive than most other bare bones lowest-trim vehicles you could get from the same year.

I have no idea. No one in my life stopped me.

No he's right, the choice isn't between a $200 shitheap and a $23,000 Jeep. I should have gotten a sturdy, used commuter in good condition that I could have put a lot more down on and paid off in 36 months. Or even better, save like crazy and pay cash for. That's what I'm getting next.

The funny thing is that new cars have lower interest rates

I got a V6 mustang.

At least it's 3.09% APR on $15,000 over four years (put $6k down).
I could pay it off early but I've been doing well in the market (~20% a year), so what's the point.

if you're interest rate on a car purchase is above 4% you should kys right now

>2.3
Why even own a truck at that point?

I have a toy already, including the 3/4 ton 78 in the background. Needed a daily for long trips

Why? I got a good deal so an 8% rate doesn't bother me at all

Sure hope that interest paid over time isn't outweighing the ''good deal''.

It is, but that doesn't matter because I didn't have to pay as much upfront. So it's worth it in the long run

We're all gay furfags here on Veeky Forums.

>Custom/group buy Eibach springs for my Saab 9000
>well it's gonna be sporty so I gotta get them Bilstein B6s
>~700 bucks total
>front end now clunks like fuck when going over any kinds of bumps in a turn
I have no idea what the problem is but it's driving me fucking crazy.
Gonna have to install factory springs to see if the struts are really too short or what the fuck is the issue.

should feel embarassed that a gay furfag has a nicer car than the bus you ride m8

>18% APR for 72 months
Holy fuck you got hammered.

A nicer car? slow piece of shit...i can smoke the fuck out of this in my 1994 EG hatch with a couple of simple mods:

You can buy a Chevy cavalier for 1k dead reliable even at that price. This will help negate your losses the quickest.

You cant blame Jeeps because you got a super shitty deal, Come on man. And its not Jeep's fault you didnt go outside and use it to do stuff. You can only blame yourself man. And hey, Ive made dumb impulsive mistakes to. We all have. (I own an 04 WJ, already having problems after just a year. Paid 7k in cash for it so at least I own it outright. But thats my own dumbass fault. )

you forgot the mawds m8

but i bet my 07 civic SOHC with a few mawds will smoke it

I didn't blame the Jeep! Read it again.

And I did blame myself throughout that post.
>I rushed into it
>I left myself get fucked

I said I have resentment of Jeeps now but that's in the context of me just being bitter about this terrible deal and owning the vehicle I can't really afford.

Jeeps are fine.

>be me
>graduated high school literally 2 days ago
>dad tells me its time to get my first car and to start looking
>go test drive shitty 2000 dollar cobalt with weird noises all around, do not want
>test drive another 2k dollar avalon same day
>had rust on brake pads, its a no go
>almost give up for the day, then dad finds add on fb for decent looking 05 v6 auto accord
>interested.jpg
>test drive it, like it, buy it
>fast forward 6 months
>transmission starts slipping, on board nav system doesnt work, and drivers side door has a big dent from getting t bones by some old lady who wasnt paying attention
>end up trading it for r 3300 dollar mk4 golf tdi
>shouldve got a 3k civic

shouldve got a 3k civic

i aint gonna lie the chevy sonics headlights are nice as fuck

If it slips change fluid and dont flush it. Its easy on hondas.

You motherfucker I modded your car via the majesty of photo editing. You are pic related now

I feel you bro. I bought an acura with no credit and got fucked in the end. It was what my parents referred to as a "learning experience" but they didn't help me with it in the slightest so it even affected my family relations. Still have resentment

Very happy you're calling it a draw... best of luck with the car hunt

This looks like your car in Need for Speed: Underground 2 when you're just starting and can only afford 1 mod.

>tfw i want led halos now

>Very happy you're calling it a draw... best of luck with the car hunt

Thanks user. Yeah this Jeep is a tumor, it's time to get rid of it. Sorry about your situation

Your a homo sexuals

yes actually

>a gay tripfag
youtube.com/watch?v=A-AdILSqldc

I only bought one of them and I still felt disappointed.

I went and traded it for a Miata. No regrets.

Yeah for sure I apologize, Shitting on jeeps is an Veeky Forums meme so my brain just made me automatically think you were. My bad. I did re read it just forgot to say anything.

that generation of automatic v6 accords was known to have failing transmissions because the trans was manufactured by gm or something like that, unfortunately didnt find this out until too late, i just assumed "hmm honda, bulletproof and reliable as hell"
>inb4 autotragic i just needed transportation and didnt know how tto drive stick

I was coerced into buying a brand new Cruze as my first car, not even turbo or stick just base model na auto. Dad literally wouldn't cosign if I got the extra $1000 or whatever for the one trim up with the turbski Because he said I couldn't afford it even though it would have quite literally been an extra $15 a month or so. Drove it around for 2 years and dropped it as soon as I could for a Genesis coupe. Got 2.25% on it and even got them to pay the cruze off completely too even though it had chips all over the windshield and a big ass gash in the door with the paint all fucked (hit and run).

Heres one i regret not buying and am thankfull for not buying

>be me, 16 years old, first parttime job
>working at canadian tire
>dont have licencse
>dude has a R32, kinda beat up, needs alot of work
>r32 guy is a lazy shit, granted it CT so cant blame him
>shows up rarely
>never talk to him just only notice his existance
>one day, R32 guy asks if i want to buy his GTR, for $1000
>Decline like a bitch, cause no licencse, and no money
>never see GTR dude again, or GTR again
>mfw 4 year later how much of a mistake i made
>mfw i still think about it to this day

Bought a 2wd truck new on accident while shit hammered.

Serves me right for being an alcoholic at the time. Now I want out of it, but I think im still upside-down

Yeah....early to mid 2000's Hondas go through transmissions like crazy

>buying a wrangler
>literally anything but a manuél AMC 4.0 YJ or TJ

all hondas or just accords, ive heard honda trans are pretty bulletproof except for this generation of the v6 accord's trans were manufactured by gm so they were ass

>Tell dad I'm shopping around for first car
>He has a 2008 Explorer that he's looking to get rid of
>"It has a salvage title but it was just flooding - I checked it myself and the only thing broken is the rear wiper motor."
>Trust him because he's my dad
>Have to replace the high-pressure power steering line when it busts three weeks later
>Four months in I discover that the dash gauge for temperature only operates in the bottom quarter when my thermostat fails closed and the water pump busts
>Two tires have slow leaks and have to be refilled every two or three weeks
>Daytime Running Light stay on even when the vehicle is off, had to disconnect them so that my battery didn't die every time I left it alone for a couple of days
>Various electrical gremlins in the ignition, at this point have replaced most of that wiring
>Front right axle boot twisted and bound up looking like shit, not leaking yet but expect it to soon

I made a mistake.

>No CJ's
Opinion discarded

They nickname them exploders for a reason user.

Never trust dads

>being this retarded

That's just sad dude. Their life is fucked because the husband couldn't stand up to his wife.

>Be poor fag
>Get into trouble for having 12 points on licence
>Good bye licence.

>Fast forward some years
>Get licence back
>Tired of ridding my bike to work
>Get on craigslist, can only search for cars in my local hick town
>Poor fag remember?
>Can't travel to get deals, have to settle on a 800 buck jeep grand cherokee that will come to me.
>Seems to run alright

>Besides shitty mpg and a battery drain that won't quit it seemed like a good purchase.
>4x4 decided to grenade itself one day.
>Remove front driveshaft and it works, drive it around 2wd.
>Now the rear end is making noise and I'm sure it's on it's way out.

Trying to sell it for 1000, I got more in it but the 1st question is "Does 4x4 work?" and being a non-nig I tell the truth and say it doesn't. Nigga no one wants a non 4x4 jeep.

Might drive it until it explodes. Then when it does hopefully I have enough saved up for a 3k civic.

>"But SMART Cars are so cuuuuute! And it's environmentally friendly"

>not considering that spewing metastasized genetic matter into existence has an irreversible impact on the environment

I hate these new age parents.

Auto trannys of the era die pretty easily because they need fluids changed often and they don't get changes. Manuals are fine. Have fun trying to find manual v6 accord though, they're like unicorn semen rare

I don't dislike CJs, but they're getting to where they're all old and terribly worn out and need a thorough restoration to be reliable enough to drive often. If the right one came along, I might consider it, but it's going to be more expensive than a comparable YJ or TJ.

>still have to do the jeep wave
lmao

Is a 2015 camaro with 44k mi. for 16 grand a bad purchase? It's (((certified preowned))) with 12months 12k warranty.

> find a miata for 1000$
> fully rebuilt engine and transmission
> rear facia needs replaced, paint was shit
> guy got it from his son and he couldn't fit, just wanted money
> apparently a 1000 essentially mint miata attracts a lot of people
> I slept in and missed my chance to get it.
I will regret it til the day i fuckin' die Veeky Forums,

that sucks bro. buying a clean cheap vehicle and dumping money into it usually works out for the best. i mean, it's still a $2000 explorer at the end, but usually you at least get your money back out of it thanks to the new moving parts.

4.0 or 5.0?

Drop links or ARB bushings

Ex demo 2015 VW scirocco R, not a bad car but
>it came in DSG, would have preferred manual
>use a bike to commute, then also on the weekend for fun so never really used it much
>sold it after 18 months

If i had a garage I'd get a project car, but live in an apartment, so I'll just ride for the meantime

Damn how disconnected from reality can you be

Already replaced, tightened, loosened, re-tightened all of those.
Even took a spin with the ARB completely disconnected to be completely sure, made the car roll like crazy but the clunk was still there.

I've owned two, both did exactly what I needed them to do. They only time I had a traction issue was during an ice storm.

Worst purchase was when my wife got a jeep grand Cherokee. What a piece of garbage. Even paying a rediculous 35k for it, the worst part was she traded in an xj for it.

You can send me the springs if you want. :).

What a fucking tragedy.

If you're serious, I do still have another set as I got 2.
I live in Switzerland though so shipping is gonna be a bitch.
If you're in the UK, saabits also has a few sets they're selling. These are probably the last ever Eibachs for the 9k with only 40 sets made so get them if you want something #rare

Trading an XJ for anything else is retarded. My '94 looks like a piece of shit and has over 200k miles, but it just refuses to fucking die.