/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Making video games and posting progress edition.

> Upcoming Demo Day 13 (ONE WEEK)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-13

> Play Comfy Jam!
itch.io/jam/agdg-comfy-jam

> Play Demo Day 12!
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> Previous Thread
> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/KUSDs9vt

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/8DFkkce3

> Engines
Construct 2: scirra.com/construct2
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
LÖVE: love2d.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com
mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=65FR_tPZQk8&t=1695s
discord.gg/xzqN9
soundcloud.com/subintegra/absolutly
youtu.be/cco-pCb0klU
soundcloud.com/iwilldevouryourkittens/the-sea-lord
youtube.com/watch?v=wHqbKFGyCdQ
chaoticblue.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Second for Sean!

Sean Murray has literally fallen off the face of this planet
Is he ok?

youtube.com/watch?v=65FR_tPZQk8&t=1695s

I'm doing a The Dark inspired FPS
Everything is essentially billboarded. just some trig right now doing the whole thing. Don't have dev experience. engine is game maker, but I'm building an engine of sorts inside it. A exercise in weirdness..

1. Hopefully not
2. Who gives a shit?
3. Of course he's fine you fucking idiot, he's made enough money that he'll never have to communicate with the morons he conned ever again.

Look out terraria and starbound here comes the next great 2D block game. Just look at my thrilling footage.

Progress

This is a touchscreen capture

What do you guys think about my idea:
We bundle up and make a game together, it could be just a few programmers and the rest makes art and whatnot and it could be in a simple engine like unity.
The idea would be to make it a pretty big game, like 60gb, and then release it as a torrent called GTA VI when the new gta comes out (or some other game).
It doesn't need to be complex, it could be just a collection of a bunch of shitty oc made by the community. As to why do it, no reason really, just to take a piss.

>a simple engine like unity
Unity is a bloated mess no thanks

who gives? It's a joke project. In any case, it can be any engine, as long it's simple enough for people to add things to it.

Unity collab project with loads of bullshit in it sounds fun

that game is just awful, why would you want to make anything like it?

but that 20MB baseline will get us .03% of the way there!

You know, I really appreciate what you're doing from a programming and gamedev standpoint, it's impressive and really cool.

But Jesus Christ, it doesn't matter how old, I don't think there is a game in the history of games with sound design as painful as this. It's like an audible version of the chinese water drop torture. I truly want to fucking kill myself after watching 5 minutes of this video.

But great fucking work for the rest, it's pretty cool.

That's the spirit.

what do you suggest? I'm thinking Unity because it's easy to do things in it.

If we get enough people I'll make a discord.

Am I understanding state machines in C# right?

Basically I need an enum for each FSM, an interface for each FSM, and a class to handle each state in the FSM. Is that correct?

If it's a no pressure thing, I'd be up for it.

I can't stop thinking about it because it seems to be using a system I had in mind for some time now, which is really nothing special anyway. But I need to have some visual creative output or I will die and i've chosen a damn long school path and for some reason that all means I desire to make a low-fi atmospheric first person action game and watching all the game dev has made me want to take a true wack at it.

cozy pic

That does sound pretty fun! But I'd hope that we could get someone to convert 3DSMax/Maya/Blender files to the desired Unity asset files to make it easy for artists to spam the programmers with assets.

.FBX imports cleanly and easily, animations included.

2d friends
how do you make your art/animations? how do you get it into your game? Do you use skeletal animation, or a texture packer?

im joking
unity is fine

>tfw I can't draw all but I can make 3d models in Blender

It doesn't even make cents

Oh, but it does.

Sounds like a lot of work for a joke, but also great idea. The trouble is actually using 60 gigs of shitty assets.

16k textures?
5 million tris meshes?

I would help if it was in Godot. Check your freedoms

>169861853
I realized why I had the physics friction turned off. When I started the project, before I had the pins in, I was launching the ball with a force between 10~30 and friction greater than .001 would stop the ball before it reached the end of the lane. So I set the lane to 0 and left it.

Of course, now that I have the pins in with proper mass, I launch the ball in a range of about 3000~8000.

I still need to do a lot of cleanup, but it already looks better, so thanks for the suggestion!

how long before I crash and give up?

I'm making my own lightweight engine in JavaScript right now and I'm up to doing input management. It's it a good idea to have event listeners that are associated with an array of callback functions? If I want an object to respond to an action I push it to the array.

NO.
NO.
NO!

No problem! It does look good.

blood and sweat

Mainly I make sprite sheets but for weapons/armor/etc. I am animating bones inside unity. Making levels using tiled map editor but its sort of a pain to run 3 programs to make a level so I want to convert it to the new builtin system when its ready.

Good point. Meme filled walking simulator would probably be the easiest route.

Post your thicc character models

Hopefully never, bro.

Looks like there's quite a lot of people willing to join so I made a discord:

discord.gg/xzqN9

Any word on when we are supposed to be getting that built-in system? I didn't see it in 5.6

>Nice, no mixe-
>Oh....

soundcloud.com/subintegra/absolutly
bad sound will just be part of the deal
jk maybe I'll do decent music if it keeps going. but the midi port on my keyboard is fucked to shit

I gave the dropped blocks a bit of bounciness to make them more fun to look at. Is anyone else making their game mostly for themselves to play?

youtu.be/cco-pCb0klU

I don't remember who posted this but it's hands down some of the best game music I've heard
soundcloud.com/iwilldevouryourkittens/the-sea-lord

Alright the information on the equipment slots are all hooked up, now got to make the progression animations.
(Note since I'm dividing 315 by two one exp point gets lost in the ether, but I don't think anybody will ever care about that)

a year later and this shit still has nothing going on.

looks like it's in slow motion.

yes but I'm sure no one else will be playing

Post your abandoned enemy designs.

>Is anyone else making their game mostly for themselves to play?

Isn't that everyone? I'd straight kill myself if I honestly expected anyone else to give a shit about my game.

It does but I don't know why, I'm brand new to game making. Maybe I don't have my deceleration high enough. I'll figure it out, thank you.

It's ok, I don't expect anyone else to play my game either but that's mostly because they could just play terraria instead

I think it's fine to expect people to care even if you know inside that they don't have any reason to, it's just healthy even if it is a flawed way of thinking

I know I'm doing the best I can, no one wants the game finished more than me but it takes time to get everything feeling and working right and sometimes I don't have the time.

Tthere is a special forum on unity with an experimental build but I'm not sure when its actually going to hit.

In the editor you can see mixels/rixels for a few effects but in the actual game there are none because I render at a fixed resolution. I also use custom collision detection in order to ensure collisions are per pixel rather than anywhere between.

oh shit, remember when you're rolling in dosh

Sweet

Just 30 days to go until loli jam!

>in unity fucking around with this code for a character controller

>changing around gravity

>hm yea this feels better
> go back to change it
>realize nothing is affecting my jump height or gravity or anything

what the fuck

Hey, if it's not too much trouble, can you explain how you do pixel perfect in unity, or point me to a good resource?

I figured it out but the result is that now there's too much elasticity, will have to tweak it.

I will not forget the little people

>starting a new project before finish the-

top kek

Your controls seem odd as your demonstrate them. As if you can only move the mouse and control the character separately. Do you only have one hand/arm? Or perhaps you have difficulty manipulating the trackpad on a laptop in tandem with the keyboard?

looking good
Keep up the good work user and I hope you have a good day :)

The physics are pretty much fine now. Thank you for the criticism on their floatiness. They rotate in this webm but I might make them unable to do that, I'm not much of a fan of that.

No, the controls are generic 2d minecraft game controls, but I can see why you would think that. The reason I paused before moving in that webm is because the player couldn't fit into 1x1 gaps because they were like 2 px bigger than blocks, but that's fixed now.

Thank you.

Gotcha. The other thing is that your effects seem displeasing. Blocks don't really pop and instead just silently shrink down and slowly float towards the block beneath. You should maybe liven it up and have the itemized version either launch in a random direction (with low velocity so as to quickly be intercepted by gravity) or spawn in a random position within the tile.

I'd also remove the bounce effect and either have them come to rest or maybe have some sort of idling animation where they just spin in place or emit some smaller particles/glow.

As it is it is unsatisfying and a bit uncanny and discomforting. It seems so slow, which could be fine if you design it as such, but it does not pair well with the visual effects you have. If you can stomach it as is, more power to you, but I'd put it high on the priority list of things to polish when you get to that point.

Give me realistic schoolgirl weapons for beating up people, user. I'm running out of ideas.

I sort of did that (see the webm in the post you're replying to) but I'll tweak it more. Currently the angle they are given force from is randomized in a genearl upward direction, but I can tighten the cone even more. I could deactivate the physics when they come to rest and then change it to floating animation as well, that might help.

chopstocls

What games compete with your game /agdg/?

What is your strategy to get the niche buyers to recommend your game to their friends that have been disenchanted by indie games?

How will you make sure the players have fun for long enough that they feel your game is a steal for its price?

Yeah didn't catch the most recent .webm. Looks better. Still seems like a slow process in general. Is dig speed something that can be upgraded at the game goes on?

Could also maybe animate the blocks as they're breaking but that isn't really important right now either.

>Purse
>Algebra textbook
>Smartphone on selfie stick
>Hairspray
>Band instruments
>Folding chairs from the assembly room
>Rolled up yoga mat
>Cute animals on leashes used like flails

If you just try to make the best game you can, you sort of already solve the first two problems, don't you think?

The 3rd one can be solved by the side effect of just having a fun game. Alternatively you can add a lot of replayability which can come in many different forms depending on your game. Probably the most common is "New Game +"

HEY YOU!

which agdg demo day 13 demo are you looking forward to playing the most?

Yes, the player will have tools and be able to upgrade them. I don't know how yet, I'd rather not do the standard "iron -> diamond" thing all these games do but if I can't think of anything better that's what I'll stick with. I also plan on adding a "cracking block" animation at some point, yeah. I appreciate the prodding anyway, it's all stuff I need to think about.

Keep it up, user!

Sports equipment is always nice.

Baseball and cricket bats, hockey and lacrosse sticks, etc.

Scissors can easily be made into a variety of improvised weapons.

You could also put in a mannequin arm or leg, because why not?
>schoolgirl fatally beats down fellow student with CPR dummy

Janitorial supplies are likely to be available at school, so bleach to the face followed by a harsh mop-beating might be neat.

Moth Girl Shoot 'em Up
Ctesiphon
Tender Arm's dev new game
Maybe Vampire dev finishes the comfy campfire game

And many more.

All games.
I always enjoy the playthroughs people usually post.

-made a shitty wood floor
-improved??? girl's face
-made a dress
-emotions
-gameplay never

I agree that making a good game solves all of those problems. Its more about just thinking about these topics. For example if your making a dark souls or elder scrolls clone (besides being horribly out of scope for small teams let alone indie devs) if you WERE making a game where you are trying to compete, high quality 3D graphics isn't one of the points that I'd try and take them on.

>1 man scope, this can be a bonus because it means the art, gameplay, worldbuilding, story etc is all coming from the same place so it should be able to remain consistent in theme.
>You can take thematic risks that they can't
>You can take mechanical risks that they can't
>People are more willing to let shittier graphics just be a trade off point for your game, expectations aren't as high
>Lower price point

Like these things are pretty obvious but its worth reminding yourself what the player expects you to do as an indie dev and why they are even taking the risk in buying your game. If you direct development towards your strengths instead of trying to cover up weaknesses that the consumer is willing to gloss over anyways then you can end up with a better game.

+ Cute face
+ Nice hair
- Stubby arms
- Inexplicable torso

>What games compete with your game /agdg/?
None.
>What is your strategy to get the niche buyers to recommend your game to their friends that have been disenchanted by indie games?
You implying I would ever share my secret sauce?
>How will you make sure the players have fun for long enough that they feel your game is a steal for its price?
The key to customer satisfaction is to have genuine fans who like you and will be pleased with whatever they play. If they have issues they will bring them up but spare you the dagger they otherwise pull on devs they are indifferent to.

In other words because I have done my legwork with gathering enough followers who are hyped for the game I don't need to worry about providing a AAA experience or anything close to it.

I've done a raycasting thing once. Wanted something Heretic like. It was fun. Then I realized I can not art and dropped it. Not to mention I couldn't figure out floorcasting at the time.

It was fun to code, nevertheless.

I hope you'll hang on and finish the thing.

>he trades one master for another

The chains of a publisher and the chains of "dedicated fans" aren't much different in the end when you want creative freedom.

currently none of them desu.

Sorry that was supposed to be Your game looks nice btw it reminds me of Grimrock.

Not that user but
>The chains of a publisher and the chains of "dedicated fans" aren't much different in the end when you want creative freedom
All you need is a backbone. At the same time there's nothing wrong with keeping fans happy and giving them what they want even if it's not your initial creative "vision".

Thanks for saying that, but all credit regarding the assets goes to Theonian. I find his 2D stuff cool and thought I've used them for placeholders and for testing.

hopefully new monolith content if he does another demo.

>Tfw dying to my own turrets

If you wanna help me test my multiplayer space combat game on steam email me at [email protected]

Yandere Dev pls

Did you watch the latest GDC talk about fat shaming? It's really interesting and you could learn a thing or two.

youtube.com/watch?v=wHqbKFGyCdQ

Does GDC still have any real talks about programming or gameplay design or is it all feelings bullshit?

>or is it all feelings bullshit

That's just as important if not even more important in this day and age.

Fuck this stupid fag

Yeah, but they don't get as much attention.
The dude in the video linked above is fucking miserable btw holy balls. I'm a libtard communist abortion supporter, but jesus this kind of people is really sad to behold.

>tfw watching just so you can understand and destroy your enemy.

When I first heard the idea that games could be art, I was hyped. Explore our inner psyche, get the same kind of discomfort you get while reading Antigone or Crime and Punishment etc., face your inner demons while you also get something which helps you living and makes you look on the world in a different way.

But no. Fuck that. Fat shaming and other SJW bullcrap is where it is.

At times like this, I wish we would rather go back to the times where games were mindless entertainment and didn't act like a little kid who plays pretend as an artist before his parents, who know this is the biggest shit they have ever seen and the kid is on a long way to get to some level, but they still smile because they don't want to break him.

Just as prominent, sure
Just as important, fuck no

do you have scheduled playtest times? I like feedbackposting but it's like 3am here

chaoticblue.com/
Why did this guy get a GDC talk at all? He doesn't make games