Mughal Architecture

Mughal art and architecture is basically Persian culture am I correct?

So .. India was Iranianised in a sense?

What architecture existed before Mughals

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persianization
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

"Persianized" is the correct term:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persianization

Mughal Empire was "Persianate":
https//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persianate_society

>Mughal art and architecture is basically Persian culture am I correct?
Mughal architecture basically developed out of adding Central Asian (ie Timurid) elements onto earlier Islamic Indian architecture like that of the Delhi Sultanate or Malwa, which itself was derived from eastern Iranian (Ghurid and Ghaznavid) architecture. So while it had Persianate origins Islamic Indian architecture had a fairly unique development and looked pretty different to that of Persia itself. Mughal painting was derived more directly from contemporary Safavid Persia, with strong European and Hindu influences.

>India was Iranianised in a sense?
The Muslim elite was, though they were mostly Turks with a smaller number of Persians, Arabs, Africans and Indian converts.

>What architecture existed before Mughals
The Delhi Sultanate after 1200 introduced Ghurid architecture which tended to be covered in geometric brick designs, and also introduced massive stone fortresses. After 1330 the Delhi Sultanate, which had conquered most of India, collapsed and left behind dozens of small successor sultanates that developed more regional styles, sometimes incorporating Hindu features. Likewise, Hindu architecture adopted some Islamic architecture and flourished in places like Vijayanagar and Mewar, and continued to flourish under Mughal rule. The Mughals combined and improved on many of these designs in north India, while the contemporary Deccani Sultanates built on the designs of the earlier Bahmani Sultanate.

Pic related, typical Delhi Sultanate architecture from c. 1220 AD; the Adhai Din ka Jhonpra Mosque in Ajmer

By far the most famous Delhi Sultanate architecture at the Qutb Complex, dating from the 13th and 14th centuries.

14th century architecture was more militaristic, reflecting the sudden expansion and collapse of the sultanate under the Tuqhlaq dynasty.

The 15th century Malwa Sultanate's architecture is a lot more Mughal-looking than earlier stuff and was probably one of the main influences on later architecture.

More Malwa

The Gujarat Sultanate also had a unique style.

As did Jaunpur.

And Bengal.

Hindu architecture continued to flourish too.

Jain stuff too.

wtf i love india now

The Jain stuff is top tier. This one's 13th century (the last was 15th).

>that tasteful delicate architecture
>that skill with that level of technology

wow I see many indigenous influences here

I-is that s-stone?

yes

It's white chocolate. Prince Siddharta was driven into the wilderness for trying to eat a Jain temple.