Why did cars peak in the early 2000s

why did cars peak in the early 2000s

Like we had linear improvement from the 60s to around 2003 and now everything thats put on a car feels tacked on or an active detriment

Cars started getting good in the late 90s and are continuing to improve in most aspects. I love 70s and 80s shitbarges, but cars are much better now.

Do you mean;
>Heated seats
>Bluetooth
>Steering controls
>Rear-view camera
>Better quality leather seats for an extra $1k
>lcd's screens for the kids
>my cousin I can't understand my 20mpg
??????

They're worse in every aspect
There is 0 fucking reason to buy an econobox from 2007+

Okay. Explain how they're all worse. Think really hard before you post.

Feel worse to drive, worse MPG, frivolous shit that breaks and is hard/expensive to fix, but also the entire car ceases to function if it doesnt work.
A bunch of 1.0 technology all combining together to make cars a pain in the ass
Its like the 80s with vaccum lines fucking everywhere all over again and CRT touchscreens because TECHNOLOGY with nobody asking "wait SHOULD this be done?

>its an Veeky Forums is so contrarian they're pretending to like things they dislike just to argue with OP

suck me off desu

What op might be trying to say
>automatics on everything
>emissions
>lack of flexibility as far as ecu/traction/modification goes
>looking at trucks and sports cars if you want rwd
>rwd anything tends to be heavy

On paper cars are better no doubt.

Tractoon control

>on paper cars are better
hahaahha
have you actually looked under a modern car? and inspected the engine bay?
its a fucking mess, its horrible

i dunno man not all cars are like that.

hell this ecomaymay is far more convenient to work on compared to the cramped ass bay full of shit that is my 2.4l 1999 breeze

20mpg from a 1.5l turbo and the car drives like shit

Fuck you

uwot m8

for one its 1.8 with no tarbo

and even when i drive it hard i get 31mpg average.

and it is competent in the toegay since its small and light

>why did cars peak in the 1980s
FTFY

Fuck are you talking about
Yeah ok born in the wrong generation,
Fuck off

Cars are better now than they've ever been
Performance shows that. It's not up for debate. Deal with it

It literally does not matter if you are a try hard wannabe le supreme enthusiast crying about electronic assists and "complicated machinery"
Yoire just a muh feels faggot on the same level as a dumb fuck baby boomer cunt
Kys

You first, hypocrite

cars suck now dude
even sports cars have lost it
Fuck the new nsx

I think OP is referring to how suspension, chassis design etc kept advancing to the early 2000s, then a lot of manufacturers have just kept the same platform and added weight for crash safety. Some cads have made huge leaps and bounds like the Mustang, others like the WRX have stagnated.

Why are you pretending you dont share the same opinion?

Everything that isn't a sorry econobox with a 3 cyl is faster nowadays than ever before. I don't get you

>fuck the new nsx
Better than the old one in every single objective measurement
Costs what, 150k, and is faster than everything short of the viper And the million dollar hyper car trio...
The old one was overpriced as fuck and beat out by four door Mitsubishis and subarus

I mean, it's true that early 90's base model civics could get upwards of 50mpg due to lax safety regulations and lack of electronic or mechanical assists, but they were weak shells that offered little protection if you got in a wreck. So while it sucks we won't ever get a reliable yet fun 1500lb car again in this age, the trade off is worth it

>all cars feel worse to drive
Literally retarded. Didn't even read past this.

>Do you mean;
>>Heated seats
Nice, but something else to go wrong
>>Bluetooth
Same as ^
>>Steering controls
How fucking lazy are you?
>>Rear-view camera
Necessary because shitty visibility
>>Better quality leather seats for an extra $1k
Leather seats are subjective, I prefer cloth
>>lcd's screens for the kids
How much will that cost when a kid breaks one?
>>my cousin I can't understand my 20mpg
Kek
>??????

they peaked in the 90s

Ride a bus, there's nothing to go wrong that way

I'm from the 90s but you have to be retarded to deny that the W210 is worse than the W124, the 4th gen Trans Am is worse than the 3rd gen or the E36 is worse than the E30. Please go die in a hole.

some of you fags are going overboard with this shit. cars are fine nowadays and perform better.

The one area where I 100% agree though is that I fucking despise touch screens in dashboards. They are such shit. Maybe my mind will change one day but at the moment I can't picture myself ever buying a car with one in it unless I happen to achieve great wealth.

The only promise I see in it is that one day we will have cars fully diagnosing and expleaining their own repair needs on the screens. But even then we don't need a shitty iPad sticking out of the dash

rant over

>Heated seats
around since the 80s
>Bluetooth
available aftermarket
>Steering controls
around since the 80s
>Rear-view camera
enables retards who can't drive
>Better quality leather seats for an extra $1k
Nope, not better quality. The leather they use nowadays is trash, probably because of the chrome free processes.
>lcd's screens for the kids
looks like shit and is another thing to go wrong

>pic related
>bob gordon's rise and fall of american growth
>more speculative: EROEI, dysgenics + atmospheric (and indoor) CO2 + credentialism + phytoestrogens in the water supply hamstring engineering ability

this is especially salient when you consider the price of automotive performance normalized to average wealth, rather than whatever Radical and Koenigsegg are getting up to these days

>why did cars peak in the early 2000s

Safety and features trump performance. Buy an older car and make it as you like. If you refuse to become a mechanic or pay one, you don't deserve a performance vehicle.

You are free to modify or build what you like in the US within trivial restrictions.

>The only promise I see in it is that one day we will have cars fully diagnosing and expleaining their own repair needs on the screens.

Not if the makers have their way. Do thy homework and you'll be sad.

>trivial restrictions
lol
just like """"""""common sense gun control""""""""

Cars only started to get good in the very late 80's and then got bad in the mid 90's.
Then they started to get good again recently but crossovers are bringing the average down.

>Then they started to get good again
this, just look at Mercedes
95-2009 was malaise era, now it's in its renaissance

>worse mpg
Wrong. And everything else is 'I don't like it, so it's bad.'

They really need to go back to retractable or built in flush screens. As for the interface, once everyone gets on board with CarPlay and whatever android's is called, we'll get to have our phones displayed on the screen vs the clunky outdated shit manufacturers put on there.

it's true, a hybrid for today struggles to get the MPGs that a 80s econobox did

>The only promise I see in it is that one day we will have cars fully diagnosing and expleaining their own repair needs on the screens. But even then we don't need a shitty iPad sticking out of the dash
SAABs do that already just with a monochrome screen

Yeah, and motorcycles get 70-90 mpg. But they're dangerous as fuck and most people don't have a death wish. Old compacts are cramped and steer like shit.

small windows in your car won't help when your burger ass gets shot

>ID 2000
CHECKED

it's called GET newfag

What are you even talking about? Motorcycles will offer you zero protection in a crash, just as many old compacts will turn you into the crumple zone. There's a reason normal people don't want old shitters.