/agdg/ - amateur game development general

forget jams that will happen 3537 days from now, demo day is tomorrow, get your demo ready

> Upcoming Demo Day 13 (ONE tomorrow)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-13

> Play Comfy Jam!
itch.io/jam/agdg-comfy-jam

> Play Demo Day 12!
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> Previous Thread
> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/KUSDs9vt

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/8DFkkce3

> Engines
Construct 2: scirra.com/construct2
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
LÖVE: love2d.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com
mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

> .webm recording
OBS - obsproject.com/
Webm for retards - gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/surfaces/the application surface.html
docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/windows and views/views/view_surface_id.html
youtube.com/watch?v=1c0sjga_aPo#t=342
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Tomorrow? I thought it was next Wednesday?

>tfw zero (You)s

first

pretend it's tomorrow so you work harder

I see what you mean. I would model with that in mind. Big polygons with single colors. No small details.

Nigger, I can see the name. I asked you what the project was, not what its name was..

Is low poly better with low res pixel textures or higher res clean flat textures?

Low res pixel textures

GM Moron here,

Anyone know why the second script would be copying the same screen as the first script?

Does application_surface not update view coordinates until the end of events or something?

Are you excited for loli jam /agdg/?

>.webm recording
Needs moar shadowplay

does this image give you an erection? I don't understand

fuck off with your not-agdg-jam

its just cute

Basically what you said. Redrawing the application surface only happens once per frame, during the Draw events.

Full description here

docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/surfaces/the application surface.html

Expanding on this, if you're essentially trying to copy different viewports to surfaces, you might have more luck with view_surface_id? I don't use this function, but I think it may accomplish what you're wanting

docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/windows and views/views/view_surface_id.html

Oh my fuck I didn't realize there was a larger application_surface reference than the global variable.

Alright, well shit, guess I'll have to work around this.

is this from yandere sim? does yanderedev really not know what bitflags are? Or even enums?

are the any unityfags doing pixel art textures?
Is there any way to make the textures retain their hard edges (point filter on the texture) rather than blurring when it's blown up, but also still have antialias applied to the edges so it's not a rough pixel edge?

>casually mention to my friend that I'd like to take part in a local game jam a year from now, and I'll work on getting small games done by that time
>"But user, you forget that you're not a Dev, you haven't released a game since I know you, you told me you'll try to make small games already"

Fucking hell. He haven't created a single game related thing. I'm fully aware how dropping projects and blowing the scope up are my flaws, but he acts like I should drop gamedev altogether. He can't understand I like making games even if I don't finish them. I despise mentioning gamedev to him, he's always smug and points out how much of a failure I am.

So.. any tips of working within a small scope? How to make small games quickly? How to guarantee I'll stay in it to the finish and not jump ship ?

yes to all

Some people try to deflect by pointing out that it's decompiled code which might excuse the use of 'this.' but decompiling doesn't magically create chained ifelse statements and strcmps

Here's an even better deflection: He has a game and you're hatejerking over his code.

No, he does not. He's even said himself he doesn't know how to code. All of that is from javascript which is then compiled to C# and then run in-engine. Also, it's just a giant Update() function. Which even Mike Z told him not to do but he does it anyway because he's a dumb fuck.

I'm trying to create a zelda/megaman style screenscrolling effect when you enter a new room/reach the edge of the screen, etc.

I'm actually just messing with surfaces for the first time so this is new to me.

Don't have a ton of experience with pixel art in Unity, but the best solution to that would probably be to use larger art assets and apply the effect you want to the texture itself, rather than trying to do it from within Unity.

If you really want to do it in-engine, then maybe it would be achievable with mipmaps? That's a wild guess on my part

>"Don't criticize people, y-you insecure nodev!"

Man, the bait got no (you)s for a while, I thought we were safe.

Now the thread is done.

I have a game too and my code is neat as fuck
I have nothing to prove to you and have every right to shittalk someone who is taking advantage of anime fetish fags

good fucking job making another post about it you piece of human garbage

CYBERPUNK JAM WHEN

On second thought, maybe there's a shader you could use to use one of those smoothing algorithms emulators sometimes use -- 2xsai, etc. I think those might give you the effect you want, which seems to be a smoothing of hard pixel edges, without adding the blurring caused by bilinear filtering.

DEMO JAM WHEN
it's where you make a game about demo

That's my guess too, and it's what I'm doing at the moment

It's just really weird having antialiased polygon edges while the mesh textures have zero aliasing, and turning off aliasing altogether doesn't seem like the right thing to do

perhaps this might be worth looking into, shaders are the one main area of gamedev I've never touched before though

That's neat. Who are you again? Nobody?
Oh.

>"y-you insecure nodev!"

It doesn't matter who I am. Fame is not important.

There's not nearly enough progress in here, so here's some from the ass end of last thread.

Next time you design a massive battle ship, try not to have a fighter shaped hallway behind easily destructible engines.

>when you finally think of a way to fix that glitch
Is there a better feel?

Cumming inside the woman you love.

Yeah that's what I figured from reading your code. Surfaces are super handy, but also super volatile. Make sure that you have code to be sure that surfaces exist before you try to use them. You can do this per-use or one blanket code at the beginning of each step that checks to be sure all of the surfaces exist. If a player alt-tabs or switches to/from fullscreen (or if the GPU hates you in particular) the surfaces will get cleared from the video memory and have to be re-created, otherwise the game with crash.

view_surface_id basically assigns a view to a surface, so that view draws to the surface you specified, rather than the application surface, and since you can draw to surfaces from outside the Draw Event, this might help you out.

>love

cumming inside a woman you hate desu

>It doesn't matter who I am
Exactly right. Even if you did have a game and even if you showed it and said who you are nobody would know or care. Yanderedev's old code which is about to be rewritten by a professional team and forgotten forever anyway while he makes millions of dollars is the last thing you should be concerned with.

You also shouldn't be concerned with "anime fetish" fags being "taken advantage of". Unless you're some kind of faggot SJW.

>shaders are the one main area of gamedev I've never touched before though
Just go for it, you can do all kinds of cool shit with shaders.

Love it.

Likelihood of it happening is slim to none but make it so if you let the thrusters get to mid screen before you blow them up they fire off covering that entire section of the screen and insta killing you (of course I don't know how your lives/continues system works so doing this might actually catch the player in a ridiculous situation they cannot recover from. Just throwing that out there regardless).

wahey

I dread loli jam

Looks good, I think the level art should get another pass though, too many large areas of flat color

It leads to a black screen for me but I'll figure it out.
I just have to figure out the nuances.

Make sure the view you're setting it to is enabled and visible.

>taking advantage of anime fetish fags
how?

I love this, is it all done with physics or is some of it faked (such as the flip)?

That flip animation looks so unrealistic

its 100% physics.

Teabag sticks master.

its not an animation.

that's crazy, nice work user

big guys.

You already said that, it still looks bad, that's not how flipping works.

Looking unrealistic is different to looking bad
in case you haven't noticed, the game's not meant to be realistic. It's got a silly absurdist vibe

Is there a better way to link my doors in Unity than using a hardcoded dictionary to keep track of all the pairs?

Kek. I love the idea, but that'd be kind of a dick move. If I was going to do alternate routes, I'd have it so if you didn't destroy the thursters in time the ship would fly off and you'd have to fight more enemies in space before another chance or an alternate entrance.

It'll probably get one later. The art for the inside of the ship needs to be finished first though.

Whoever is piloting that ship must be immune to epileptic seizure

its a re-purposed combat roll. i'm just having fun. i can only do so much.

not >brazilian space program.

I read this post and my heart went doki doki

But then I read this one and I immediately felt a hate boner stronger than any love I could have for another human life.
Why is this so?

possibly generating the dictionary procedurally if you keep every door in the scene under one parent object (so they're all grouped in the same game object and you can easily iterate through them to generate the dictionary)

How is the physics of the movement done?

So the legs are connected at the knee via a hinge, and there's the weight of the body trying to bend them, but you have a force trying to straighten the legs.

How do you make the character walk? Just a series of forces / angular momentum applied to each joint?

youtube.com/watch?v=1c0sjga_aPo#t=342

its balancing with the joints and walking by contracting them. kind of like sumo tori

Can't you use the editor to give objects references to each other directly?

what are you going to do when you actually have to make good art for your game?

He could easily turn that into good art by just swapping the meshes out with different meshes though. If he needs the assets for it, it probably wouldn't cost him a whole bunch - the artist wouldn't even need to rig.

>slowly realizing that the scope of my game isn't feasible to OMA

i guess i'll start thinking up a lolijam game idea

You fake ass programmers are really embarrassing yourselves in /v/ with this one. Sperging out and nobody cares then when you try to explain what you would do better real programmers speak up and laugh at you because you have no idea what you're saying.

Just stop bringing it up.

pretty much this. its flexible enough that i can slap basically anything i want on it.

Chicken is animated, can be harvested for feathers, and drops eggs occasionally. Tired of farm animals.

yanderedev is a good programmer

Who are you quoting?

Progress bars animation, still got to add some extra feedback.

I want an unironic answer. Does the length of function names or variable names or class names have any affect on the game size or performance?

You already know the answer to that

post those character designs

I want to simulate real plane aerodynamics in a game world.

The plane can be completely customised, basically made of blocks kind of like minecraft, so having predetermined behaviour wouldn't work.

The only thing I can think of is to have the plane in a box of particles that it can fly through to simulate the air. The box moves with the plane, constantly being re positioned as the plane moves.

Could this be simpler / more efficient?

No.

It does not.
The variable int x will be given a location on the RAM with a hexadecimal value to locate it. Eg. CD6889
If you renamed this variable to personWithTheBigHatAndGlassesPositionInTheGameWorldx, it would still have the same hexadecimal value.

Use a naming convention that allows the code to be read easily. The game performance will not be effected.
Keep it as 1-3 words, 4 at a push.

>game size
technically yes (I think) but it's extremely miniscule

>performance
I don't think so

this seems wrong but I don't have the physics knowledge to be sure. seems to me that you should be able to approximate it well enough by calculating the general effect of air resistance/etc. on the wings rather than simulating all of the particles individually

The next lolijam should be something like this.

Technically: each char you type costs space to store so it does inflate game size. This only matters to you if you're worrying about the footprint of singular chars though which nearly nobody is.

The compiler does have to read each char before it attempts to locate the instruction/variable/etc you've labeled - but it does so with ridiculous speed. So, again, technically yes. Realistically nobody should care.

Making a run-and-wreck-havoc spider game in Unity. Can't really decide what kind of missions would go well with it, though.

OK, but where is the gameplay?

you are the the robot

no.

Fuck off anime avatars!

And here's a static screenshot since webm has shit quality.

loli guro is the worst guro

No.

Surely only uncompiled code would have a larger storage size?