/ovg/ - fh2 > fh3 edition

Welcome to Auto Vidya General, the place to talk about racing games

Previous Thread: Our Wiki will answer every question you could possibly have. All frequently asked questions can easily be found on the main page itself:
>get-good.net

Swing by our Mumble server and introduce yourself!
>Mumble IP: mumble.get-good.net
>Port: 64738

Join the /ovg/ group on Steam!
>steamcommunity.com/groups/ovgonsteam

Equipment Guide
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uLKMbKwweUZ3QvFeNs8UeycZbDyo0McxGj7T6uTaTNo/edit#gid=0

We're racing on the weekends. Check out our Google doc for more info!
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3KWTJsrlS9X2EZUNXY8KbHfsHD-t3_EU_A1n6wBBQc

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8GM9d_azM6A
youtube.com/watch?v=See2gwMeGfA
youtube.com/watch?v=p7zdzs-bs4Y
youtube.com/watch?v=6R_en9CJqbk
youtube.com/watch?v=f04zlqGOhoM
youtube.com/watch?v=-KuENMxrpXk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for winning pass

i keep making fucking tubbys. this crazy salesman keeps me up nights and since i can't jack off any more since the operation i just keep fucking making tubbys. everyone at work thinks that i'm some sort of faggot becuase i bring in tubbys every day. they're all fat twenty-five year old cant-even-leave-the-house neets and if they knew that tubby-making was my masturbatory substitute they probably wouldn't even look at them. probably also if they knew i pissed in the tubbycakes.

What's the best Road America for AC? And rF2?

Mosageir

>turn 10 will never bring back the Spirit R

why live

Here's hoping FM7 has the FB back so I can be styling

>tfw a racing game with easily customizable low-res liveries and lowpoly cars will never be a thing in the modern era
fug come on indie devs you don't need anything more than gt2 levels of detail

>he doesn't play rFactor

there was drift stage and it was awful from the first shot of gameplay
>muh neon-80's
>muh sideways drifting
it's like the fag that made it has seen only 2 racing games in his life

It's even worse to actually drive.

a lot of indie devs go into genres they don't actually give a shit about because 'it seems like a good idea' and because of it the games turn out like trash
people don't understand that originality doesn't matter that much, presentation is everything

Let's all take a moment to appreciate the tracks that fell foul of the whopping 30% cut of the /ovgt3/ season 4 schedule.

Next up would have been Barbato Mount.
youtube.com/watch?v=8GM9d_azM6A

#NotMyRound12

Round 13 would have taken place on the Norisring, a track in the fun city of Nuremberg.

#NotMyRound12

Round 14 on Tony Rust, track in the middle of buttfuck nowhere, Namibia

youtube.com/watch?v=See2gwMeGfA

#NotMyRound12

Next up on round 15, Palanga, a track known for literally being bits of highway with chicanes in true old Need for Speed style. Could have been run by night for those cheap TXR feels.

But won't ever be run.

youtube.com/watch?v=p7zdzs-bs4Y

And finally, Nordschleife 2.4 hours which would have been a fitting comfy end to the rFactor era. Definitely would have been nice to run with time progression, aiming for the race to end at dusk in a poetic way; like the dusk before mass coreshaders.mas deletions.

umad

But I guess the time has come earlier. So goodbye rFactor.

A series is only temporary, memories of impromptu space programs and good racing are forever.

i like this

t. exclusive rfactor racer

#NotMyRound12

SUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPEEEERRRAAAAA

Well once it's on GH I'll work on the integration of my basic UI.

I'll probably go the way of inserting a proper webservice interface on your core code (touching as little as possible of the core, building around) and interfacing this service with the interface.

Once this little UI works I'll look into making it more "graphical". Maybe animations or themes. Music is already half integrated.

#NotMyRound12

#NotMyRound12 protest against the oppressive shadow government

When the Bryce Canyon race starts we all load up Barbato Mount and hotlap.

And yes, I did nuke my OVGT3 install. Marko, have a free spot in the super srs point rankings.

See you in Grand Valley bois

Fuck you. If you don't race Bryce Canyon this weekend, just leave forever.
I have begged to include Bryce Canyon since the very first series and now my dream of a huge grid on the best fictional circuit ever made for rFactor is about to be trashed by Larguu and "oh nobody cares let's cut the series down and run the final race in the middle of easter when a handful of our regulars are forced to exist in real life". I am an angry motherfucker right now. I was looking forward to this and now it's been completely screwed up by administrative incompetence.

A brief history of /ovg/ and Bryce Canyon
>first season GT3 -- gets taken off the schedule because SJ got removed from administration. It was a track I asked him to add.
>BR Stock car -- Stupid no fucks given bonus round that no one even completed
>GT3S2 -- Valrys complains that it's too long and/or hard, not even considered
>Never raced with BTCC or Legends or AE86 despite the entire track being a gigantic prepared touge
>the usual excuse given is that it is too difficult and there are places to get stuck even though we routinely run tracks with wall geometry bugs, kerbs that send cars flying, sandpits where if you get stuck the cars don't have the grip to get out, giant holes that prevent you from resetting, berms that launch cars into opposing traffic, not to mention the usual compliment of psychotic drivers.

(((Larguu))), restore the GT3 schedule to what it was before and let's finish it instead of this bullshit cop-out that no one wanted, asked for, or would have approved of if they had known half the fucking field was going to spend the weekend with the sky magician instead. Put Barbato Mount back on the server and don't fuck with shit like this. You had a bunch of people who had real life commitments which is the reason for the low attendance.

If not, I will run it. We'll have a short series with the points carried over and the same schedule.

#notmyround12

word

I will vote for you for president if you also get Tsunami Twister added

gud plan

LET'S GET ROOOIIIIGHT INTO THE NEWSSSS

Agreed.

>aspirations is now registered twice in GT3
by the time ovgtp starts he will drive 12 cars

And win 7 of those

>tfw not enough skill to beat aspirations or james or figure out bob's track builder

existence is suffering

>Ford announces Aspirations is going to drive all 60 of their cars at Le Mans

KEK

Anyone else scared it's gonna be garbage?

I absolutely LOVED Dirt Rally and had lot's of fun with it but I feel like with Dirt 4 we're going back to the casual shit that previous Dirt games were. And that's even despite the fact that they are going to retain "hardcore" handlings of cars.

I feel like DR was so great because it was hardcore and you didn't really have a choice and couldn't make things easier. Either you got gud or you could just stop playing the game. D4 doesn't look like that.

And there won't be real tracks. I loved the realism of the tracks in DR.

they can't figure out how to make the cars interact with dirt or snow berms realistically so they're just making the tracks wider.

weren't the tracks besides the wales one fantasy ones?

All were real.

You mean in D4? Dirt Rally was actually them experimenting with all this and making the tracks tight as fuck, which apparently caused problems with Dirt 3's handling which is why they had to remake the entire handling physics.

Why is porche such a cunt when it comes to licensing their cars?

Not Porsche. It's EA. They made sure it was an exclusive license.

will it ever expire?

It has hasn't it? That's why you've got all the Porsche packs for AC.

I pretty desperately want some 911s in D4. They're always my favourite car to see come by when I'm stuck on some rainy corner in the dirt.

stop going on reddit

oh, that's cool then.

the EA license has expired. They are being handed out like it's nothing. Even Milestone has a Porsche licese now.

What the fuck does that have to do with reddit?

When has it expired? Why the fuck does Forza Horizon still not have Porsches?

I hope the ken block shit isnt coming back

Because the porsche dlc will be released in june

gymkhana is returning

>When has it expired?
When Forza 6 got the DLC i think, or it was when AC got Porsche. not sure.

Wait a minute why didn't they add the Porsches in the beginning then?

And what the fuck is up with Volkswagen now? They decided to now give licenses?

>All were real.
They were only partially real

unless you can find a full 10-km comparison, because I've only seen 2 minutes of Sweetlamb

it's not the handling, it's collision
When you are oversteering and nudge a rear wheel into the berm built up at the edge of the track, in real life the car is heavy and the wheels are spinning so the dirt is cut through like butter and the car is not destabilized. But in Dirt Rally, the berm at the edge is basically a solid wall, so the back end lifts, the tire gets caught over the edge, the undercarriage runs into the berm and the car gets launched into the air or thrown into the trees like it's on a Hot Wheels track instead of a dirt road.

Then the overbearing off-track reset kicks in (unless you happened to do this at one of the preset places that just immediately ends your race the instant you drive into it) and you go from flying sideways through the trees to being placed stationary back on the track after taking almost no damage aside from the tires the berm popped when you drove into it. It's highly destructive to immersion and somewhat dilutes the idea of rally, I would prefer the game realistically model vehicle damage and the interaction of the car with the loose surface, neither of which Dirt Rally really does and I have no faith in Codemasters to make a racing game that does more than feel and look good.

BeamNG, despite lacking the timing components of rally, makes a far better rally simulator simply because the cars' interaction with the ground and objects is more realistic. When you crash, you break and bend suspension, you puncture fuel tanks and radiators, cook your brakes, set shit on fire, you can run the engine until its oil overheats, the bearings spin and the whole thing siezes in a massive cloud of smoke.
In Dirt Rally you can nail a tree at head-on at 120 mph and still finish the stage. In BNG the engine would be in your lap and the steering wheel where your face is supposed to be.

I remember seeing someone find all those tracks on google maps as well as some side-by-side comparisons of the tracks being driven. Besides I'm pretty sure you can just google the tracks and they should show up, but only as the long variants.

Microsoft doesn't give a fuck they would have gotten a sub license anyway.

>why no vw
No one knows why they excluded them. Probably because of dieselgate tho.

Yeah well I agree on the vehicle damage, they actually seem to have toned it down a lot from Dirt 3 for example.

>No one knows why they excluded them. Probably because of dieselgate tho.
Actually it wasn't MS who excluded them. VW didn't want to give the license. There was even a formal apology from Playground Games to the players for not including VWs.

They were based off real world locations, didn't follow the routes of the stages though, so sweet lamb irl and dirt rally differ as they split off on different roads.

Already forgot about that. So yeah it's VW being ret because of dieselgate

Which is weird because the D3 damage modelling was alright, even if you could absolutely beat the piss out of the vehicle and still finish.

and this from when DR was still prerelease, note these webms don't illustrate the berm launching but rather the other wildy exaggerated and unrealistic collision reactions caused by the cars being infinitely rigid and the ground being infinitely hard, neither of which is true IRL.

Yeah. A single tree could rid you of your wheels whereas I don't think I ever lost a wheel in DR.

Could be that they did it so that DR wasn't THAT hard to play. To encourage people to actually finish races even if they broke their cars.

And then there's the fact that between stages you actually have to fix your car and have to use the same car over the entire rally.

Unpopular opinion: real racing 3 is not actually terrible

I hope D4RT has an LFS-style autocross editor.

>To encourage people to actually finish races even if they broke their cars.
Sure, and my issue with that is that isn't how real rally works at all. When you crash, you are done, and that should be a major game element just like it's been in nearly every rally game for the last two decades. If you aim to make a game that celebrates the harsh reality of rally racing but you make it so easy any fucknut can bash an Impreza to the finish line, you have completely failed to deliver.

For every beautifully-carved 4-wheel skid by a WRC driver, about 30 Finns will wrap a Volvo around a tree. That's rally racing. If you can't simulate the latter, you might as well just make a fucking arcade racer so everybody will feel like Colin McRae with no effort.

Doesn't Dirt Rally have a increased damage mod like the F1 games do where it just increases the damage multiplier? How good is that? I don't have D:R so I can't test it

I agree user. I suppose they should've just made it optional to have hardcore damage.

whats the best game for comfy multiplayer touge runs?

DR was great, but I couldn't finish it.
>collision system was fucked
>damage system not realistic
>teleports you back to the track after so long (obnoxious button prompt for it as well)
>immediate time penalty if your tire is 1cm off the track

I had fun when I learned how to drive in it, but even then, the tracks were tight, which was great, but when you couldn't be sure how large the berm hitbox was going to be (plenty of times I would be really close and be fine, then a different track id end up hitting the berm even from similar distance from it), it would force the track to be even thinner, because you couldn't trust the berm at all.

Ass Corsa and Forza Horizon

also, funky gravity that makes cars almost always return on 4 wheels

What are some nice touges for AC?

I'll buy it only for the T H I C C 2017 WRCs

I don't even get why they would use time penalties, resets, AND game over sequences all at the same time. Like, there's bits of Monte Carlo where you can just end the race feet from the starting line by putting two wheels into the snow off the side of the track, and all you can do is go to the next stage while your car slowly slides down a snowy hill you could probably just reverse out of. Then other parts where you can flip over a guardrail and get stuck in a ravine, but the game doesn't reset you until you wait quite a while, and STILL gives you a time penalty.

like, why?

but those won't be in. Kylotonn and Big Ben has the rights to the current cars.

Rally Championship Xtreme is a better rally game than Dirt Rally.

They'd better do some ambiguously branded "Prototype Rally" mashup in stealth paint that's a 2017 car in disguise.

V-Rally for the PS1 was the best rally game. I spent my childhood playing that game and NFS High Stakes. God damn so much fun.

the first Colin McRae Rally game has the best Monte Carlo rally, it does a really good job showing the variety of conditions

oh cool they made a movie about SJ

trash

trash

holy fucking trash

if you want vintage rally games because gameplay > graphics, just play R2K
youtube.com/watch?v=6R_en9CJqbk

There is also racing lagoon. That rpg street racing game.

No idea, but I've seen only webms here and it looked fun.

Is this the 2017 WRC spec?

Holy shit this looks like hill-climb tier aero.

Yes, thick and angry cars

youtube.com/watch?v=f04zlqGOhoM

good features =/= good gameplay if the base physics are flat out retarded.

Face it, r2k is just like every other rally game, shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=-KuENMxrpXk

Why is everyone pushing the RX meme? It's the most garbage sport really. Rally around a closed circuit where everyone just crashes into one another.

Kek I wonder if the 1980s PPHC cars could enter.

Honestly though I don't think adding more aero to rally cars is gonna cut it. It's just not gonna work well on any surface that's not asphalt and includes jumps. Less jumps = less fun. There should be more power though.

>toyota is back

they were jumping further in sweden

>finally a chance to bring back the GT-Four brand
>"nah let's just grab the Yaris and make it WRC spec"

ONE FUCKING JOB, TOYOTA
YOU HAD ONE JOB

I'd murder to see them make a WRC GT86 and then start selling a homologation-like GT86-Four which would be basically a GT86 with AWD and turboed 260hp engine. Besides it's a fucking Subaru after all. Literally no reason as to why not give it AWD and a tarbo.

I swear I hate the modern WRC car look. Every car looks like an egg with aero.