Tire thread

Tire thread

What tires are you currently using?
What have been the best tires you've run?
What were the worst tires you've had the pleasure of using.

Currently using General Altimax RT43.
Best tire i've used so far.
Was using garbage primewells for the longest time. decided to spend a bit more and get a somewhat decent tire.

Toyo 600+4
295/50R15

Fronts are 235s but I don't remember the brand.

I don't have anything to compare them to, but they seem pretty good.

I'm going to change all tires in my Focus, what should i get?:

- Good grip
- Low rolling resistance
- Low noise
- Long life

Name brand high performance all season or summer.
Michelin pilot sport a/s
BFGoodrich Gforce comp-2 a/s
Bridgestone potenza re970as
Continental extremecontact dws
Etc

225/40ZR-18 Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum XL

Best: Probably these.
Worst: I had all weather runflats on my car before, which were loud and shitty.

2002 Volvo S60 NA
Summer: Nokian Entyre 2.0 205/55/R16
Winter: Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 205/55/R16

2005 Volvo S60R
Summer: Nokian zLine 235/45/R17
Winter: General Altimax Arctic 235/45/17

I do not like the Generals, but they were basically new and came with the wheels. They are still basically new, but I think I'll buy some Hakks this winter for it.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

Pretty good tires for being all seasons. Handled cold temps just fine this winter. Snow performance was pretty shit but I expected that.

Legit question, what's the widest tire I can fit on a 9" wheel? 235/60 r15 right now and I'm looking to get a 275 width. Do I need a 10.5" wheel to be safe? I'm going drag racing so not worried about sidewall just tire width and compound.

Michelin Super Sports on my MR2
Nokian all seasons on my 190E

My favorite tires were Yokohama S Drives. Similar performance to the Michelins, very good in rain, and slightly cheaper.

Least favorite have to be the old tires on my 190E when I bought it, some cheap Chinese shits that were loud even at 25mph

>What tires are you currently using?
Sumitomo HTR AS P02

>Best Tires you've run?
Continental ProContacts
>Worst tires you've had the displeasure of using?
Some off chunk brand called Goodride, avoid like the plague

never got new tires before, how much do you guys pay? what is decent anyway, I see those $80 tires which end up being like $400 for a set plus installation and all that shit. Can I get away with $60 tires? I also live in florida and it never gets below 50 F, i've noticed summer tires tend to be more expensive

they'd be for a daily driver with the occasional long distance trip

tires are the absolute dead last thing you should cheap out on. I spent ~$450 on my all seasons and $550 on performance tires after rebate. tirerack.com is a great tool to see your options and price them out, if theres a discount tire near you they will match tirerack prices so you don't have to pay out the ass for shipping.

Currently have my summers on; Cooper Discoverer AT3 in 225/75/16
They're alright, nothing special. Probably upgrading to some 31x10.5x15's later this summer

Best; my Nokian Hakkapelitta 8 SUVs in 245/70/16

Worst; Minerva S210 in 195/65/15. Easily the most terrible winter tires in existance

I have 11.5" tires on an 8" wheel. Tire shop said I could have kept the 7" wheel, but I bought new wheels already.

Get tires on Amazon, shipping is free unlike the rack, and the prices are damn near wholesale.

noted, thanks m8

are all summer tires performance tires? on amazon the categories are winter, all season, touring, and performance

Yes, all summer or three season tires are performance tires

Do I need new wheels for winter tires if I don't want to have to go to a shop to put them on? I was thinking of trying to find some steelies for winter

Pretty much yeah

Figures, how much do steelies typically run?

Pretty damn cheap, check a junk yard

>junk yard
It astounds me how often such simple solutions just escape me

no road hazard if bought through Amazon.

I go through discount tire direct. $38 for road hazard and $2 per valve stem which are pretty good stems they send you.

Currently riding on hankook noble ventus s2 tires, I really like them

Great handling, traction and comfortable ride

Michelin Pilot Super Sports or ?

are raptors gud

I got the new Firestone Indy 500's (just Potenza RE003 rebranded for NA). Feedback is weak, but everything else is fantastic.

Riken Raptors?
Yes, I had them and they're great three seasons, they're shit in snow, I think treadlife was about 30k miles, and IIRC they're a subsidiary of Michelin

Uniroyal Tiger Paw good?

Getting new ones all around. Is it ok to get a slightly bigger tire than what came stock? Have stock wheels. I bought the car used and it has actually been riding on slightly bigger than stock so I am going with that size again because it is a good deal cheaper. Actually has bigger in the back smaller in the front all mismatching tires so feel like I should replace them all.

No, that's the just ok tire that only ever gets put on a car when they want to sell it. You can do better.

Michelin pilot super sports summer.
Best tire I have ever run hands down.

Well I fucked up then o well. From the place I went it was the tiger paws or cooper starfire rsc 2.0. the tiger paws were only ending up being $30 more.

Hawaii is shit for buying anything these were pretty much the only tires I could get put on anywhere before Friday. One of my tires went flat Sunday. I obviously need a new one on there. Figured since its a used car it is about time I get all 4 replaced since they are all missmatched and shitty. I might have been able to get some BF goodrich tires for the same price from a different place. Much farther away though and driving on my donut spare. Not sure what model they were.

RE71R

Kumho Ecsta Supra 225/50ZR16's because that's what the previous owner installed, and I'm not anywhere close to wearing them out yet. They're pretty noisy, and the ride quality isn't great, but they grip well so I'll deal with them.

Hankook Optimo H724
235/60R16

Cheap and with a good warranty, cost me only $48.71 each.

>Picking Uniroyal over Cooper tires

Wew.

>road hazard warranties
Fuck King Lowell. It's almost as if you like being charged money for no fucking reason. Were you joking?

Summer
285/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs. Unreal in the mud but they howl pretty good on the highway.
Winter
Currently 265/70/17 KO2s. They're okay, going to sell them and replace them with some Blizzak DMV2s this winter.

Road Hazard a best. We replace quite a few tires at my shop under road hazard.

The more expensive the tire, the better of a deal road hazard is. I see it time and time again at my tire shop, people shell out a bunch of money for tires, don't buy road hazard, and come back within a couple months because they got a nail and it wasn't repairable, so they had to shell out for a whole new tire out of pocket again.

Road hazard is $40 for a set of 4 at my shop. Even if you only get one tire warrantied, you basically got it half off or more, and you still have the warranty on the other 3 tires. (or all 4 if it happened within the first year) It's especially valuable here since I'm in Austin and we have a shitton of construction going on all the time so nails are almost inevitable for everyone. My mom's already gotten two tires for free since last March, which at $86/tire, saved her $132.

Would anyone here say this is safe? Puncture repair on the sidewall, and its just that cheap sticky rope shit

Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport

Pirelli P6 All Season

2007 Volvo S60R

Summer: Falken Azenis RT615K+. Same old tread design, new compound. Need to track to find out where the limits are, but I'm enjoying them a great deal just fucking about on various fun roads. The main improvements seem to be with wet traction.

Winter tires were Michelmeme Pilot Alpin PA3. Decent tire for "spirited" driving in freezing weather, okay in fresh snow and light ice, but sucked for thick ice and the fucked up hardpack we get. Should've gone with Nokian Hakka Rs or Blizzaks.

Dunno about the worst, but recently had Conti ExtremeContact DWS that were not good. Squishy sidewalls, mediocre traction in good conditions, and completely fucking useless in the winter.

why must you be king of the faggots?

have you ever driven on Florida roads?
every set i have ever purchased, EVERY FUCKING SET, i get at least 1 nail in the shoulder.
the RHW pays for itself on the first use you massive fag.

Only thread that seems appropriate to ask but can you change a wheel bearing by yourself. Mine's creaking and shit from my back driver side wheel. My car is RWD so I'll try to get it fixed this weekend or something. My axle seal is also leaking, too.

If you have to ask, no.

Maybe you should move.

>What tires are you currently using?
Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position
>What have been the best tires you've run?
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
>What were the worst tires you've had the pleasure of using.
Falken Zeix