Is it worth learning to drive manual?

Is it worth learning to drive manual?

you can drive more cars if you know how
it can help prevent deep vain thrombosis
also you can push start the car

but aside from that its hard to say
most of the good side is being able to change the speed and harshness of the shift as you like

If you are asking that question the answer is no

its easy as fuck. unless your a american, then its a impossible task for you

I didn't ask if it was easy I asked if it was worth it. No-one I know owns a manual so I'd probably have to buy some lessons from a driving instructor.

you can learn it without any instructor or anyone. you learn it as fast as the other stuff in a car. stuff like steering, braking, etc. its not hard. get a manual shitbox and just try it out

It helps if you know. Personally, I drive auto and my next car will be auto, but I learned to drive stick before hand

I learned in a day shit is obsolete

It will help you if further in your life you drive trucks and buses (who knows). Aside from the general traffic pretty much everything else is manual.

The novelty of it wears off real quick. Sure it's fun for like 1% of the drive but for the other 99 it offers no benefits. I dd a manual and it isn't much more fun than the autos

>America

No

>The rest of the world

Yes

Pretty much this, love hitting gears on my bike because I'm out to ride but I'm in truck or car I just want to get somewhere.

Lmao. I learned how to drive manual from watching tutorial YouTube videos. It's not rocket science

Have you ever driven one?

How does one get so passionate about something as irrelevant to one's daily life?

Do it. It's so much fun, better to know and not need than to need and not know. It took me an hour alone before getting decent at shifting from stop to go. Plus stick is cheaper to fix and buy

>more control over the car
>superior mechanical efficiency = more power and MPGs than autos (not accounting for user error/gear ratios/DCT)
>less complex, so lower repair costs if you don't drive like a retard
>one of the best anti-theft devices you can get if you live in America (assuming that the thief doesn't get butthurt that their tiny brain can't figure out how to manuel and just murders you instead)
I'd say that it is.

You can pick it up in an hour. Getting good will take more time, but of course it's just practice. Really depends if you see it as a skill that might come in handy later on, I can't say cause I don't know you that well

they are mentally ill. same with the people the plaster the whole rear of their car with stickers.

Yeah. I have a 02 mustang GT 5 speed. Sat in the drivers seat and watched a few videos on my phone. Then fired her up and commenced my learning experience.

>manuals are anti-theft in America

the one thing ill never understand about the car world and this board is why there is so much discussion over MT vs. AT. out of all the things you could discuss you assholes choose the same bullshit over and over.

That's what shitposting is.

Only on weed, any other way no

That was the only way i could learn it

>chirstcucks

They're getting worse every year.

>it can help prevent deep vain thrombosis
source?

this only really apply to very long road trips taken in automatic cars
like if you kept you left leg perfectly still for three hours

not if you want a comfy ride

im still having trouble staying smooth in 1st and 2nd gear. Like am I supposed to redline it in 1st gear instead of shifting at 2K-3K rpm to be smooth? It's either it's jerky but quick or smooth but risking getting rear-ended because the car slows down when I shift slowly to 2nd gear at low RPMs.

because evolution cannot co-exist with the bible and obviously that worries everyone instead of just keeping faith / science separate in the first place.

catholics dont count because they are literally the cucks of christianity

Do it on weed. Itll make sense

It's worth it.

I learned when I was 15.

I taught my wife in about 3 hours.

Stop mystifying it, it's a simple skill.

started driving manual a year ago and the only car i have had rough shifts from 1st to 2nd is my truck it has a rpm sweet spot of 3k for a silky smooth shift. just experiment a little.

it true, amerilards can't do it

Not really by choice, necessarily. The weird thing is that manuals are still the cheaper purchase option in Europe/Asia, but for some reason in North America the manual is either only a couple hundred cheaper or is actually more expensive.

I had to actively seek out a manual shitbox and probably paid a good chunk more for it than a comparable auto, just because it was the only one around.

yes, it's worth learning even if you don't. it's a useful skill to have.

This basically. 10 year olds learn to do it on farms. Retards have been doing it since cars were invented. It's not a special skill, you can learn to do it in less than an afternoon.

are you making sure you're taking your foot off the gas when upshifting?

I wonder the same thing about archeologists desperately trying to disprove the bible.

I also dd a manual and I have loads more fun than when I dailyed an auto.

OP here, if it makes you feel better it was an honest question. I'm not a regular on Veeky Forums so I dunno how often the topic comes up. I've decided not to, I thought it might be fun, but the replies make it sound more like a pain in the ass

wew

>Is it worth
What do you mean by "it", Peasant?

>driving a manual is something amerifats have to "learn"
can't make this shit up. you reckon I could sell "Manual Transmission For Dummies" books in the US and become rich?

i've seen 80 year old grannies driving manual cars effortlessly

It's really telling how many people are coming in here posting "It's so easy bruh!" when it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. How easy something is has absolutely nothing to do with whether it's worth doing in the first place. Is it worth learning manual transmission, yes or no, fuck off if all you're going to do is comment about how you're mentally retarded and you managed it.

>yes or no

no

Americlaps literally don't know how to drive manual, it's not a meme, ahahahahha

You hear and feel when you are supposed to shift dummy. But I guess you can't feel the vibrations of your car through all that fat that covers you

Then learn do drive a stick shift. I can shift fast and smooth, and have been driving stick for four months

Meh, give me an auto for DD'ing anytime, it's faster in the real world.

>it can help prevent deep vain thrombosis

If you're susceptible to this, driving a manual isn't going to make a difference, fatass.

if you want something to do with your hands then learn manual

if you don't give a shit then don't

If you're into cars and consider yourself an enthusiast driver, then sure. Also if you are in automotive service (mechanic, auto body, etc) then you're pretty much expected to know.

If you're a casual/normie, then learning manual is not that important. It's nice to know how to do it, but you don't benefit much from knowing. It's like learning how to change your oil even though the money you save isn't much or learning how to flip a balisong knife when there are better, safer locking mechanisms for pocket knives.

I've never touched a Manual in my life, but I genuinely don't get the meme autotragics spew how Manual is impossible.

Am I just full of myself when I say all I'd need was 5 minutes and an empty parking lot before I was fit for the road?
Do I just think this because I have an above average knowledge of how a transmission and engine work, and autotragics know nothing but D,R,P gas and brake?

I've always downshifted to slow down in my car, does that already put me miles ahead of your "average" driver?

I just can't grasp how Manual, especially with the prevalence in movies and TV, that the average person shouldn't be able to just see and feel everything for a few moments before driving

/thread

Not a single person in the thread has said learning manual is hard. Just that it's pointless.

Burger here
Did the exact same thing. Bought a manual Miata and watched like an hour's worth of basic manual tutorial videos before going to pick it up . Never drove manual before and I ended up driving it home which was maybe 20 minutes, stalling it only twice, second time because I put it in 3rd instead of 1st at a stop light. Whoops

It really isn't hard at all, just need some practice. you definitely don't need an instructor. The internet is your friend

test

Not unless if you want to be he one autist that learned how to play a harp.

No use for manuals anymore. Automatics are better now in every way.

Manualfag will say otherwise because they are too poor to buy a an automatic car with select shift transmission.

Benchracers, the post

>user, will you teach me to drive a manual?
>Fuck no you'll break my car

I learned it on a motorcycle but I don't see a reason to bother for a car.

>electric cars
>car sharing with electric cars
>autonomous cars
>car sharing with autonomous cars
>autonomous cheap "taxis"
lol no

>He doesn't love the feeling of moving through the gears

>not if you want a comfy ride
Stop projecting your shitty driving