Payment contract legal?

I test drove a Nissan S13 and noticed some issue when accelerating, I think the clutch was slipping and would grab only after revving for a while. There was also smoke coming from under the hood around the radiator. Some mechanic started the car after we went inside to get the paperwork done BEFORE test driving. When I wanted to look under the hood the mechanic told me it's dangerous if the oil and coolant are hot. The car dealer started talking and I couldn't really think clearly and was put into the passenger seat.

This all made me kind of suspicious about the state of the car, I wanted to investigate this issue before buying it but the car dealer forced me to sign this payment contract beforehand or else he would sell it to someone else. I could pick up the car in 3 days they said.

After some research I discovered the cost of replacing the clutch and fixing the cooling issue would be around $1500 I called back to say I didn't want it anymore.

Now is the part at which the car dealer started shouting over the phone and said I'm wasting his time and costing him money he says the contract I signed says I will have to pay a fine of at least $8500 if not at least 10% of the price of the vehicle. But the used car price is $4100 so this contract doesn't make sense for this car

Is this even legal? How can I defend myself, really freaked out about this and don't know where to turn to. I can't afford a lawyer either so I'm basically getting set up with a car that's broken

Dumbass scumbag

Tell them to fuck off and you'll see them in court.
They'll just find another mug to fob the car off to.

have there been cases in which the plaintiff won?

If it isn't in the contract that you need to pay a $8500 fine, and there is nothing in local law, you're going to win.

From now, make sure you record ALL interactions with the dealer. Make sure you have them repeat what they said to you in writing.
Then you can pay $20 to take them to a small claims court. A judge will look over the case and as long as it isn't in the contract or isn't in the law, you'll win.

Best part is that if you win, you get your $20 back

It's on the contract but the backside which I didn't see. The front of the contract shows detailed information about the car, service before sale, the total price, tax etc.
I didn't even see the backside because it is printed in light gray letters. This is why I'm doubting this is a legal contract

>forced me to sign
He didn't force you to sign anything. He wasn't going to sell that car to someone else the thing is a wreck obviously and needs a new clutch or radiator

That's illegal. Printing the faint text onto white paper has solid precedence for illegal contracts. It's so they can hide facts from you if they print it really small or in really faint text

See a lawyer immediately

My local university offers free legal advice for students and the public and will recommend lawyers to you

I'd see if a local university will do that for you

You could call their bluff and see if they will try to enforce their contract via the courts.

Lawyer up buddy boy.

You can:
1) suck up and buy the car and then get fucked with endless repair bills. Youre a pussy if you do this

2) suck up and pay the "fine" for not buying the car. You are a stupid pussy if you do this

3) tell them to suck your cock and that you are contacting your lawyer and the BBB as well as making negative reviews about the situation. Either they fold or you get pushed back into choice 1 or 2.

>signed contract
>didnt read all of it

You are literally fucking retarded. Just think about it and chew it over. With any luck you will learn from this and stop being a spineless shit who gets "forced" into signed contracts from used car salesmen.

the first place you fucked up is letting the salesman pressure you into buying the car

you are the customer, they need to bend over backwards to make YOU happy. if they fail to do so just leave.

now for your current situation you need to talk to a lawyer, you shouldn't have to pay a fine since they wrote that part of the contract in light ink

>people with no experience buy vehicles without a friend/significant other/family member

Ya blew it

If your in Canada there is a 'cooling off' period where you can walk away from the seller with no penalty...I think it's 72hrs but not 100% sure...

MDK

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU SIGN SHIT WITHOUT READING IT

DID YOU READ YOUR CONTRACT BEFORE SIGNING IT????

NO BECAUSE IF YOU DID YOU WOULD KNOW WEATHER OR NOT THEY COULD PULL SHIT LIKE THIS

in any case write a really really scathing review on google maps, yelp, yellowpages, and file a complaint with the BBB that should save the next retard who comes along

Just claim they pointed a gun at your head and threatened to murder you if you called da bolis

>but the car dealer forced me to sign this payment contract beforehand or else he would sell it to someone else.
You can argue duress, but from your story I'm thinking you're not going to win. Unless he literally had a gun or some weapon pointed at you.
You can argue economic duress, but then again unless he knows that you're going to slip into poverty if you don't sign the contract right there and then, it's not gonna fly.
>Is this even legal?
Yes. The law doesn't protect people from going into contracts they didn't read/understand.
>How can I defend myself
Unlikely. Just try to settle. You might lose money, but you can try to not pay the entire $8500.
See
>The law doesn't protect people from going into contracts they didn't read/understand.
Unless that part was written in a smaller print than the rest of the contract, OP can't wiggle out of it.
>It's on the contract but the backside which I didn't see
Unless the $8500 part came AFTER the part where you signed, you just boned yourself.
>I didn't even see the backside because it is printed in light gray letters.
They do that so they could print it on one paper. If the $8500 penalty came before the part where you signed, and it's not in a significantly smaller print than the rest of the document, you're ded.
But this is the best. Tell them you'll settle, that you'll pay, but not $8500. They will take into account lawyers fees+filing fees+time. Try paying 3 or 4

the car costs $4k, why would he pay that much for nothing?

If you haven't actually taken possession of the car you should be able to walk away. Btw the "other guy" that was going to buy it never existed, classic CON. Do you even have a copy of what you signed? Lol

OP, is this Velocity Cars in BC?

how are people this stupid?
>forced me to sign
>signing anything other than purchase agreement

You're fucked. Tell them to take the 8500 and shove it. Try to just pay the price of the car. Then atleast you didn't waste money on nothing

Contract. Doesn't matter whether the contract price accurately reflects the value of the object of the contract. Each party in a contract bears the risk that they're actually getting the short end of the stick.

>If you haven't actually taken possession of the car you should be able to walk away.
If the dealer is willing (and able) to comply with its obligation under the contract, it can compel OP to do his part.
Not getting shrekt in the dealership should be part of the sticky.

i think this is a bait.

show us this contract.

It's not legal until you ACCEPT DELIVERY. Ignore the calls and move on. And stop buying used cars from dealerships you moronic piece of shit. Also, stop signing shit.

Whatever garbage they made him sign would be thrown out immediately. A dealer can't force you to buy a car. You have to accept the keys first. They ESPECIALLY can't enforce "come back after a few days so we can do shit to it." Whatever he signed can literally be used as toilet paper. Those scum wouldn't waste the time or money in court. They MIGHT get a lawyer friend to send a scary letter to him. I would throw that away too. Fuck them.

Found the dealership jew.

Fuck off with your (((legal))) advice

Post the contract. What I will tell you is more or less what any lawyer who is not out to jew you (further) will tell you.

>It's not legal until you ACCEPT DELIVERY
Nope. OP promised to perform (give 8500 dollarydoos) upon performance by the dealership of delivery. If the dealership attempts in good faith to transfer the vehicle to OP, the dealership can force OP to pay.
Or we can like wait for OP to post a pic of the contract
>inb4 OP doesn't have a copy

Nope. Judge would throw it out. They asked for the car back to do things to it. Contract can go in the garbage.

Even if they hadn't judge will still throw that garbage at. At worst the CIVIL suit they would make him pay a couple hundred for their time. NO judge would accept double the value of the item being sold unless you can prove lost wages equal to that, which they wont. Contracts don't over ride the judge using common sense.

Not to mention a letter of intent isn't legally binding.

You're talking about OP getting relief in equity, but not at law.
>Even if they hadn't judge will still throw that garbage at. At worst the CIVIL suit they would make him pay a couple hundred for their time. NO judge would accept double the value of the item being sold unless you can prove lost wages equal to that, which they wont.
Gibberish. Lost wages? We're talking about damages now? OP just wants to know if he is bound by the agreement. From the looks of it, he probably is. Can't say 100% unless I see what's in the agreement.
Doesn't matter what a document is called by the parties. If all the essential elements of a contract are present, it's a contract.

OP probably doesn't care much about HOW the dealer is going to fuck him over. I think OP is concerned about how to NOT get fucked over by the dealer.
From OP's story, I'm thinking he has few options. So yeah, post that thing where you agreed to pay X amount of dollars for car, OP and let me look at it.

Its called signing under duress and it nullifies any contract

>Its called signing under duress and it nullifies any contract

>sign or you won't get this car because I'm going to sell it to someone else *twirls mustache*
>duress
Pick one
>sign this contract or you don't get this thing I'm selling
>not duress
>sign this contract or I'll smash your head with this bat right now
>duress
>sign this contract or you'll lose your job, home, and car
>duress (economic,) probably

First off, that's not even an s13, it's an s14, you don't even know what car you're buying, and you don't read contracts? Are you an idiot, illiterate, or both?

1. Tell them you aren't buying the car and to fuck off
2. Wait
3. Most likely they will try and find some other sucker to buy it since it's less of a hassle (especially since s14 kouki's are pretty collectable and some underage "tuner" will buy it within the next week, shitbox or not).
4. They might send some angry lawyer letters, but ignore those unless they actually say they are opening a case. Most of the time it is just a scare tactic.
5. Grow some balls and stop letting people make you their bitch.

>ignore those unless they actually say they are opening a case
Literally this until you get served