E90

Are they any good for a first time buyer? I see many going for less than 10k.

Cost of ownership? Reliability?

Other urls found in this thread:

oppositelock.kinja.com/public-service-announcement-do-not-buy-an-e39-540i-1685761777
youtube.com/watch?v=d23khvbkJG4
ww.yourmechanic.com/article/the-most-and-least-expensive-cars-to-maintain-by-maddy-martin
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Cost of ownership will be high if you intend to keep it reliable.

No I would not suggest it as a first time buyer, unless said buy is able to do basic maintenance on his own.

>beemer

just neck yourself mang.

What literal garbage. I had no idea they were so cheap now. Get a e36

There are no oil dipsticks
Go on lad, buy it
>maintenance on his own.
>when half the car has to be unbolted to check if the battery is connected propperly

Clean E39 540i's still go for around 10grand.

That's how bad it is.

>first time buyer

not unless daddy's paying for it or you're an enginerd who will diy everything

I have taken my e46 to 220k DIY-ing everything. The engine, dashboard, and gas tank are the only parts that have not been removed from the car at least once (I'm not kidding)

Only e39s worth getting are the 528i's iron motor.

lel
a million times better and more reliable than your domestic trash

Eliot really tanked the market didn't he

Seriously they didnt have all the stupid problems the newer ones had. Seats twisting, vanos seals, etc

Literally the first article if you search google:
oppositelock.kinja.com/public-service-announcement-do-not-buy-an-e39-540i-1685761777

Honestly the high maintenance costs is a good thing in a way.
It keeps the poorfag shitbox owners away from our German godmachines (even the lack of a dipstick scares them off lmao), thus making them more unattainable and exclusive.

>oppositelock.kinja.com/public-service-announcement-do-not-buy-an-e39-540i-1685761777
>4. It's a great value – until it breaks and costs a ton to fix

Literally what BMW Owners tell others and he fucking only realized it AFTER he bought it

From just that you can surmise he's just a poor fag who can wrench, and the rest of the article is whining.

Poorfags buy 10 yo bimmers and call them god machines and larp around as supreme gentlemen for doing so

Subscribe to Justin Buice on youtube. He has a ton of videos detailing all the common problems they have. I've run most of the issues he's listed, so I'd say it's all pretty accurate.

youtube.com/watch?v=d23khvbkJG4

Cost of ownership: Higher than the average shitbox, but not as bad as the internet pretends.
Reliability: Slightly worse than the average shitbox. Learn to change your own oil, spark plugs, brake pads, and you will save enough to afford the shit you can't do yourself.

pic is mine

what bogs me is that he owns a 740i e38 - exactly the same engine/transmission as the 540i. Don't see him complaining about the e38 for some reason

underrated

the 335i in manual can take like 600hp on stock internals

THAT N54 ENGINE. Make sure you know what you're getting into

Youre retarded

No youre retarded

>better than my Benz.

K

N54 is shit and you're only gonna get a shitty example for 10k.

nah i bought a 335i and it was a well maintained example. You have beaters and gems like with any other car, poorfaggot

No modern cars over $35k have analog dipsticks. For years now. BMW wasn't even the first to do it.

No. The only people who should be buying used cheap BMWs are enthusiasts who actually know what they are doing or people with money to blow.

I can't think of a more worse car to buy as a know nothing than a modern used BMW / Audi / Mercedes

used Range Rovers

This. Avoid Range Rover like the plague. If you want something like it, get a Lexus LX or a Land Cruiser.

Yeah true. If you are looking into buying a 335i you better have deep pockets or a penchant for working on cars.

dme failures and cracked ps pulley on early 07-08 models
They have yet to release a durable, long lasting injector. We are on revision 12 now, and those crap out too.
Vanos solenoids... But theyre cheap
The 6 speed autobox is "sealed for life" and swapping the fluid is a pain. You cant flush it either
The 6spd stock clutch is shit and slips on hot stock turbo tunes
The flywheel is shit and is a root of misfires at higher power levels
The high pressure injection pump has been solved... In those cars which the updated pump has been fitted to, ymmv.
The intake valves need to be decoked every 30-60k, unless you have auxiliary port injection AND an oil catch can.
the stock turbos are undersized and journal bearing. Nuff said
The water pump and thermostat have to be changed every 60k like a religion.

Ive owned mine for 6 months. Ive had it tuned the entire time.

My dme failed (400)
One strut mount (50)
Two inner tie rods (60)
Vanos solenoid (110)
Boost solenoid (110)
vacuum lines (10)

doing water pump and thermostat next (450)
and thats driving the actual piss out of it, daily redlining, etc.

I dont think thats overly exorbitant for a car that gets raced twice a month and beat on daily

yeah fuck that

You can say "religiously" instead of like a religion

Both can be used; one is more ubiquitously understood, however.
The simile makes sense.

Yeah I suppose, just triggered my literary autism

What about other rovers? I really want a Rover 75

>>>
> Anonymous 04/11/17(Tue)23:08:22 No.17001221▶
> #
>You can say "religiously" instead of like a religion
So he could write an article that gets clicks....

It is literally the same method of scrambling to write bullshit articles with dubious facts that propels both the climate science and medical journal fields. Everyone has to write something "new" and noticeable when you have an interconnected world. You get trash results just so someone can publish a "new" opinion.

Performance is top notch

Reliability lel

Only buy if you know it's history and it's not modded alol to hell. A couple of owners around here ended up spending a few thousand just to get these to pass emissions after buying.

Don't expect ownership costs to be cheap.m double your budget of what you expect.

Outside of that, it's basically a german Supra IMO.

If you can stand his super annoying dead inside face, then sure

What the fuck are you on about mate? I meant to type religiously and not "like a religion" it was a mistake but you just brought it up to level 10

Most BMW's from the E46 series have the battery in the trunk, you dont have to loosen a single bolt to swap it. Pretty neat anti theft system if you ask me lol.

>electronic dipstick so i can check my oil level without even popping the hood

>car is diy friendly

I read that the 328i is fairly reliable as far as BMW goes. Doesnt get as much stress on the engine as it has a lot less HP than the 335i.

Considering picking one up myself, plenty of well maintained models on the market in my area for 8-10k.

From what I read, only buy 08 and after. Also water pumps are a big issue around 100k so look out for recent replacements.

My first car is a E90, owned it for 2 years now. only problem i've had with it was rusted half-shafts. Had to replace both and the ABS sensors. Cost me about 1k. It has over 200.000 km on it.

Did you get it done at a dealer?

They're fun as hell.

n54 is amazing you literal faggot.

>runs 13 pounds on stock internals no problems.

It's shit like the water pump and other crap that fails on that platform.

How much have you dropped on it in maintenance and how long have you had yours?

N54 will ruin you financially.

It's not worth it compared to the N52.
N52 is easy to maintain with less expensive parts and less that will go wrong.

If you're even considering an N54, you may as well just get an M3.

Lol. I've had it for one year and dropped like $1,000 but it has more than 100,000 miles so I knew what I was getting into and also it's nothing major just like common stuff like brakes,spark plugs,ignitors,hoses and tires.

>tfw bought a 2004 e60
>only $5900 so I thought it was a good deal
>seemed like normal wear and tear for 130k miles
>warning lights come up 3 days after purchase
>just picked it up from the shop today
> $2000 in repairs
>10 minutes later
>SES light comes back on and car still shakes over 70mph
This car is going to be a literal money pit, isn't it?

take what it cost you with your previous car and make it five times bigger. BMW is not a luxury brand for nothing. Sure, you paid less for it since it's used... A new m3 cost what, 100k? (Idk the price don't argue) It's 4 times the price of a consumer car. In my book expect the maintenance cost to be 4 times higher.

That is pretty good, I was memeing about the ones with the battery under the rear seat or something just as retarded, might be an older bimmer or a mercedes
>trusting electronics
>inb4 (you) scotty.jpg

>cheal aftermarket headlights
>fuckhuge panel gaps
dun goofed

I've been debating on getting a 2003 325i with 110k miles on it. Priced at 4900. After reading through this thread im doubting it. At the same time i know Veeky Forums users are fuckin downers about everything.

E34 is like that, and it's a piece of cake... Once you know where it is lol.
Back seat simply pops up to reveal it. There's a positive terminal in the engine bay for jump starting purposes anyway.

yeah mate those gaps look awful. The front bumper must have been off at least once

The BMW dealer wanted 1600 for the job. I toke it to a random garage they did it for 1000.

I have one, just bought it 3 weeks ago.

I get horrible looks, im 18 so understandable but people treat like a cunt because ive a better car, so if you dont mind that go ahead.

2010 320d in white, black rims and blacked out windows.

Lovely car, get manual, havent had to repair it yes obviously but ive heard its quite expensive, indi auto shops will do it for very cheap but not as reliable there prone to fuck it up

>cheap aftermarket headlights
>implying
The headlights are anything but cheap. Imo they're a million times better than the foggy yellow original headlights. The xenons definitely make the car look not 2004. And it's the photo that makes the gaps look big. There's a rubber seal between the lights and the bumper.

ww.yourmechanic.com/article/the-most-and-least-expensive-cars-to-maintain-by-maddy-martin

LOOL

Is this also your thread!?

Ricey as fuck. You an arab by chance?

HahahahabababababBbBbbbababbsbabababahahahahsghshdhdhshsjsjjfkfkrmfnjxjdjdnzndbsb! HA!!

Who buys a 5 series for 5900, seriously. You deserve everything that'll happen to the car

i can see the orange peel on that paint from here. Fuck man

>anecdotal evidence
Why do retards actually think this means anything? You obviously don't even know there's two different engines and one's incredibly reliable, but you bought some 10k piece of shit, it went wrong and now that means all of them are bad

I mean, an actual owner of a car giving us his honest, unbiased experiences with it? You're shitting on him for that? When this entire board is littered with nothing but autistic, bus-riding basement dwellers just regurgitating whatever dribble they've read online that makes them feel better about their own car purchases or lack thereof? Get a clue.

You either have to have access to cheap parts or cheap labour.

preferably both.

so true man

>says all 335is are unreliable because he's retarded and thinks his personal experience is representative
>gets called on shitposting
>N-NO YOU'RE A BUSRIDER

>If you are looking into buying a 335i you better have deep pockets or a penchant for working on cars.
Or just don't buy the cheapest, sketchiest 335i you can find. As a whole the N55 models (the engine and the car itself) are reliable, and not even just by BMW standards, but since you had a bad experience they must be all bad.

Why buy post 08?

That is fucking horrible for a 10 year old car. You've only had it for 6 fucking months, and shit is breaking left and right. Water pump and timing belt every 60k? Fuck that shit, you are literally getting raped

ebin, simply ebin

fucking everything going wrong is not a maymay. rear window regulators are my latest headache.

Wow. You literally paid a grand for a 300$ worth of parts

just buy a toyobaru and supercharge it OPEE, it will literally shit all over everything for the price and it's reliable and won\t destroy you at the pump.

I purchased an e46 2002 325i w/ sport package (in good condition) for $3k, recently. It has 125k miles and everything that needed work/maintenance has been done already. It was my first car purchase. Should I keep it?

No way mate. The previous owner had them installed

Nah, The half-shafts are 260 each, the abs sensors are 70 each. Rest is labor. Not bad i think, wasn't confident to do it myself at the time. I have a little more experience working on cars now.

That's supreme gentleman to you.

>just replaced the control arms
>vehicle still vibrates
What do you guys think the problem is?

There is no timing belt and the water pump needs to be changed every 60k. The car has 117k on it. Whats the deal? Do you want a car wherein the water pump never needs to be changed?

One strut mount on a car with 117k isnt bad either, neither are tie rods because they were the originals or the vanos solenoids and boost solenoids. Get a clue, this isnt a fucking na 1.8 4 cylinder shitbox.

I didnt reply to you, friendo

I didnt buy a sketchy 335i, the turbos have been replaced and the car had 120 service records before i bought it