/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

When your dwarves dig into hell while a forgotten beast destroys your shit edition

Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Beta version available):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SIUEHsyt54I
youtube.com/watch?v=IMRK5vFsuV0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for frogman

Second for anime!

Third for the kobold ERP scene.

nth for rimposting

ADD DIGGING AND MASON SHIT IN ADVENTURE MODE YOU DUMB FROG

Just use advfort until he does you... you...

Does anyone have the old dfclock guy before the 0.40 release?

Okay. So Five Guys or In N Out?

I have around 15 troglodytes and elk birds in cages, what should i do?

Eat the elk birds and fuck the trogs.

t. user from the future trying to ensure his conception

tame the birbs for egg production, train and sell the trogs

It seems to have worked.

Make the birds and trogs fuck or fight to the death for your amusement, become horrified when you see what you've done, flood the fort with magma and walk away.

Why the fuck did it place all the fucking volcanoes to the left side?

But troglodytes are barely sentient, genociding them never gets old.

now that's a blast from the past

If you didn't adjust your world's volcanism and increase max regions then that may have been the only high volcanism biome available to place them. Try changing the volcanism variance to be really high.

be nice to the trogs, they are bros.

Oh shit yeah.
Advanced world gen for the first time without the wiki and drinking don't seem to go together too well.

>sentient
>capable of sensing
>sapient
>capable of understanding
You have a point though, but making them fuck elk birds would be awful.

*eats your dimple cups*

*eats you out*

*licks your skin*

How to get good in adventure mode? I want to be able to kick people's heads off or the like. How can I achieve this dream?

By going to version 0.23.
You can't do that anymore.

You need to become swole

The best way is to start with high attributes and grind skills to legendary until you reach the attribute cap, for strength specially.

If that's not enough you need to alter your attributes with dfhack

rule #1 in adv mode: savescum all the time.

unlike fort mode, adv mode won't reward you with a bigger challenge when you fuck up. instead, the game ends abruptly.

That's a shame.
How do I do that?

What the fuck did I do now?
The world looks like someone took a miasmic shit on it.

>You can't do that anymore.
you can thanks to the joint damage system. joint damage can result in bodyparts flying, although pulping is much more common.

Well, the good news is: is wrong.

Bad news is, it's difficult without modding.

>see this
>wonder if they caught the "skin is constantly drooling precum" debacle a few days ago

You need to become swole as I told you

>skin is constantly drooling precum
WHAT
WHAT
WHAT
Yeah, but how?

I wish the days of zombie wolves' heads exploding after you throw and embed a fucking snail in them were back.
That's what made the dorf fort unique back in the day. Gratuitous fucking violence.

Well, you need really high stats, best way would be to start as a demigod and put all your points into combat skills, especially strength.

Then you need to train your skills to reach the attribute cap, this can take a long time, the best skills to train, are fighting skills (wrestling, fighting, weapon skills), especially wrestling

If you reach max attributes and you still can't punch people's head off, then you have to use dfhack to modify your attributes.

Well shit.

Black bear boss battle outta fuckin' nowhere.

There it is: Dude, I recently had a massive battle against a 4000+ elf army laying siege to a town in which I embedded enough thrown corpses into elf skulls that I started to think I should have some sort of listed skill displayed. Dozens of "the spinning soandso's corpse strikes the elf swordsman in the head! the soandso's corpse has lodged firmly in the wound! elf swordsman has been shot and killed" type announcements.

Here's a few of them from before I just stopped noticing.

Well that's weird and unusual.

And kinda gross.

I recently had an adventurer who killed dozens of nightbeasts, fought off goblin bandits and had traveled across most of the world doing so who ended up dying anonymously in a muddy pool after being thrown in there by a giant grizzly bear. I was on my way back to report all my deeds too so she didn't even end up famous.

It gets worse the more you think about it too.
>modded in precum
>specifies drooling
>skin drooling anything
>added the tags to have it as a material
>added the tags to accidentally make her skin do this

Where is the really big one

Your heavily modded game and superadventurers aren't exactly a benchmark for discussion of normal gameplay. Not that there's anything wrong with it, of course, but you're barely playing the same game as "how do I punch a head off"user, and your gameplay experience doesn't translate well into advice for people playing anywhere in the neighborhood of vanilla.

>tfw you strike dolomite
youtube.com/watch?v=SIUEHsyt54I

Why are goblins so damn strong? A hero level adventurer is no match for them. I just want to save the day.

Quite, hence:
>Bad news is, it's difficult without modding.

Without modding, make a bulky/large human striker/kicker, grind it up, become a vampire, max everything out, don't be afraid to punch down.

Alright lads hand over those broken therapist your holding onto, your holding back a progressive and app free DF future

Well, died to a black bear outta nowhere.
Time to play as a QT owl gril.

You gotta strategize.
Sneak up on them and take out their rangers or something.
Bring party members too to help you out.

It's probably more a question of gear and skill (both yours and your @'s) than any inherent superiority goblins have. They do have better natural attributes in some fields than other races, but dwarves and elves at least have a decent balance of superior attributes as well.

Is that a threat bro?

muh digga

I found one of my companions who survived the goblin attack. He's missing a hand and an ear but he seems pretty optimistic, all things considered.

Heck, I just stumbled upon a shrine at random when I travelled outside of fast travel (in order to save in-game time and reach my destination before sunset).

I've found them in fast travel, but not in local map travel.

That pic is ancient. Neither of the last 2 major updates are on it.

What do they do?

just random scribbles i the wilderness

They usually house a titan or bronze colossus. And some sweet loot.

What, the shrine?

They're fun magical places with treasure and new friends!

Well that's certainly.....fun

I picked up some cois for my collection. There were a lot of coins there, so I only collected one of each type.

Now I have seven coins, from three different civilisations. I should find a special bag or pouch to put them in.

Five Guys for dining in-store, In-N-Out for takeout.

Not Dwarf.

I like looking at the different images on coins, it's one of the fun parts of the indianon jones posts.

Huh, this is strange.

So apparently, this coin was minted by a civ called "Mon Uzin", supposedly during a period of "no rule".

Satrangely enough, it has the symbol of a performer band on it.

Then, I looked it up in the legends, and guess what: Mon Uzin is actually the untranslated name of the performer band whose symbol was on the coin. The performer band actually minted the coin themselves.

That's fucking weird. It might require some more digging into.

Go volcano by the beach. Try and keep corpses away from the beaches/ caverns under the Ocean.

Please post seed and/or gen info.

Sounds like a bug to me.

Sounds pretty cool.

Nothing like doing a bit of digging into the lore of your world, huh?

that's some next level merch right there

Gondola?

Probably. The legends page of Mon Uzin only had the usual stuff about members entering and leaving. Nothing about site ownership or anything you'd expect from a civ.

Seeing that pic makes me nostalgic. Maybe I should do another "adventure log" story. I was planning on waiting until the artifacts, but since they probably won't be here until summer, I might as well do it right away.

Yea I was looking for that one.

Fuck the new release came out on my birthday

Felt good

They were great man, out of a e s t h e t i c a n o n, frownanon, comfyanon, and indianon jones, I enjoyed the adventure log stuff the most, they had that sort of approachable feel where you can show people who don't play and have them get a lot of it, but the little details like the actual town layouts and temples that just us superautists get.

The fuck is this? I've never seen this shit in the years I've spent playing DF

Wormy tendrils?

Consentacles

>consentacles
Well played.

That's actually exactly what I was going for.

I wanted to write a story that was as immersive as possible without resorting to roleplaying. I wanted to show all the complexity in the features that the game has, without spreading possible misinfo by making up things that doesn't actually happen.

The starting point was of course as generic as can be (since adventurers don't have backstorys, and I didn't want to roleplay one). From there, however, it developed as I encountered new actors (i.e. the first night troll, the dead child, my companion and his wife, etc), each with their own stories which were given a place in the log.

The most important thing was to play the game with the naive eyes of a first time player. After learning the game, we autistically learn to see the game mechanics, rather than the exciting events which actually take place in the world. Describing the naive impression of what appears to take place in the world, but with a firm understanding of the mechanics, was pretty central.

Like I said, though, I might pick it up again soon. I might have to practice my drawing a bit beforehand though, since I may have grown too used to drawing those silly frowning characters.

k haven't touched the game since late 2015/early 2016, I know there haven't been any major updates outside of 64 bit support (yay, hopefully fps death comes much slower to my forts), but can someone give me a quick rundown on the unreleased stuff he's worked on since then?

Yeah, those had a similar sort of appeal as honestanon did in that sense.

I've gotten better at seeing what is going on without even thinking about the mechanics since I started scripting though, since I started to internalize my knowledge of what is going on without needing to really think of it unless asked or trying to do a specific thing with scripts/raws.

>worldgen artifacts which can get lost/stolen by armies/thieves/monsters
>quests to recover them
>gossip
>spies
>recognition that certain items are chatworthy
>npc groups questing around
>them being able to come to your fort and start shit
>currently working on sending out your own squads to recover shit

>0.34 zombies
classic dawn of the dead zombies. would surround their victims, grab them all over, and slowly tear them to pieces. has a health bar

>0.40 zombies
insanely strong and fast rage zombies. a few were enough to take on a moderately trained militia. no health bar, can only be killed by removing both arms and the head

>0.42-3 zombies
angry mob who tries to shank their victims. health bar is back. easier than ever to kill

This sounds awesome and I can't believe I missed it, are there any links to it?

i still have all the entries in a notepad doc, and the pics in a separate folder, uploading them all on Veeky Forums would be a pain though, so I might think of some other way.

also, the thing ends rather abruptly.

What are you trying to say

go play .34 then

Hey, it's not like we have another patch to discuss coming for a while. If you find the time, I'd like to listen to your tale, frown-senpai.

>degenerateanon hasn't posted in two weeks

Good?

who is he? I've had a couple months of break

He was probably the guy who posted the precum drooling skin pic a couple of threads ago.
I hope I'm wrong and he died in an ironically-degeneracy-related masturbation accident.

A tripfag who used "I'm making a mod!" as an excuse to shitpost about fetishes and chan memes.

dude makin a fuckmod
meme-free version was worth looking forward to
>precum drooling skin
lol

So basically /dfg/ version of futafag from /rwg/ ??

I am with: and would be glad to have a chancce to save them properly.

I see. That'll have to be on sunday though. I'm just about to go to bed now, and have a crammed schedule tomorrow.

>Gnomoria
How's Gnomoria anyway? Last I heard the dev just up and left, deleting even his reddit account.

>Last I heard the dev just up and left, deleting even his reddit account.
#justnon-Toadythings

that's what a shortsighted development schedule inevitably leads to.

>daring to do anything but contribute something you made on demand for free for our amusement
youtube.com/watch?v=IMRK5vFsuV0