Car To Live In

Hey Veeky Forums. I've been thinking about living in a car for a few months, since I don't have credit or a job, but I really want to move out of my parent's house. Let's say I have a budget of $5000, what are some good trucks/vans/SUVs that would be comfortable to sleep in, while also being somewhat reliable?
I looked at the sticky, but I'm pretty sure that it's a bit outdated, not to mention, it doesn't mention the whole "sleeping in your car" thing. Please help Veeky Forums.

Vans. Or minivans or mini minivans. Or wagons.
Kthxbye

Stay at home. Get a job. Move out when you're financially stable

i lived in my malibu for a year and this is how i slept.

>best invetion ever?
flat folding rear seat.

If you have a place to shower and change (a friends place) then get a car mang. They can be stealthy as fuck and if it has flat folding seats you can sleep somewhat comfortably with your legs in the trunk.

Look for a conversion van. They can be had for dirt cheap and they are all owned by 90 year old people that only use them to drive to Florida once a year. Any cargo van/truck/suv @ $5k is going to be absolute shit.

GL m8.

>Under $5000

truck with camper. you can get a old Chevy 3/4 ton for under $3k and a camper for $500-$1500, go nuts

i paid $500 for my camper, 1973 camper that had the outside redone with fiberglass from a old Uhaul truck and extra insulation put in. all i ended up putting into it was a generator and heater, i lived in the mountains in it for a bit for fun and it was inconspicuous staying at Walmarts on the way

Old station wagons are a good place to start looking. A late 90's model Volvo 850 will be around 3k in the used US market. They are everywhere, pretty reliable and easy to find parts for.

The most difficult part of your challenge would be to find safe places to sleep. The cops will hassle you if they find you, not to mention the possibility of being robbed/assaulted in the wrong areas.

The good thing about a station wagon vs. a van would be the stealth factor, as mentioned above. A station wagon (if the exterior is in decent shape) will not scream "rape mobile" or "someone lives in this thing" and you will be able to fit in to a better area. I would recommend staying around places you know first.

Like , I would consider also staying at Walmart overnight. And since I'm in Canada, it's pretty safe here. Any other benefits of a wagon over a van?

get a subaru outback or something, theyre within your budget for the most part and pretty reliable from what ive heard.

>Need to take a truck license since the car license isn't allowed to drive 18-wheeler and similar trucks
That's not very cheap.

This. Living out of a car has ironically become more of a bourgeois luxury than a practical means to an end. Especially with that budget...you're going to be dealing with all kinds of unexpected maintenance.

With that said, an astro van or some kind of diesel ambulance/mini-school bus might be an OK bet.

>inconspicuous staying at Walmarts on the way
My local wal-marts no longer allow camping or loitering on their lots due to the homeless problem (crime). Allowing homeless to park their cars means car prowling goes way up in the walmart lot. There's no way to separate the homeless from travelers using the lot as a rest stop because of anti-racial activism. So walmart simply got rid of all loitering.

The bad apples ruined a good thing for everyone.

he can buy an old plain cargo van and make a wooden bed in the bed.

What else do you need?

Flat front school or city bus. If you are handy, you can make it a more permanent home. At the very least it'll lock up and give you a place to sleep.

Minivan
Remove all the rear seats

Volvo wagon

They got tired of the homeless shitting on the asphalt, too.

living in your car is loads more difficult than you give it credit for.

tom thumb / walmart are constantly on watch so the best place to sleep in your car at night would be 24hour fitness, food service, and probably apartment parking that is near a highway

Ive also seen cars attempt to park between houses or in an empty space and its so obivous

>24hour fitness, food service, and probably apartment parking
That must depend a lot on the area of the country and its crime rate.

Due to the very high crime rate from homeless, the places you mentioned are more unfriendly than walmart or kroger lots. The stores come out and give you a warning to leave. At the LA Fitness and service places, they call for a tow truck. The officer prevents you from leaving as you get a citation and must wait for the tow to appear so you can pay off the tow fee even if they don't tow you to impound. If kind, it is illegal parking, and if not they tow you to impound and you have to go thru the official release process during business hours. At apartments, they request from the police to press full criminal trespassing charges. The homeless crime problem is quite tough and apartment managers absolutely refuse to have any homeless living at the apartment complex.

How will you get laid? If you pay $500 a month for a room with other people, you'd be better off.

But I've heard bad things about living with roommates

>But I've heard bad things about living with roommates
When living in a car, You have bigger problems with muggers, vandals, towing, and other homeless trying to muscle in on you. Many homeless cannot keep possessions because others take it away from them.

the goal is to sleep there and leave without any problems. your only loitering if you get caught and after that you shouldnt live in your car. alot of people go home bc of this and dont want to go through the prison system

Only one correct choice

>your only loitering if you get caught and after that you shouldnt live in your car.
Once charged for loitering in my area, there is a probationary period of 60 days. But businesses typically demand tresspassing charges which have a probationary period of 6 months in my county. Some states allow it to be as long as one year, but it's 6 months here.

If caught violating probation, you get fines and go to jail. It's almost automatic they get the administrative subpoena to search the car on a probation violation since all lots have had car prowling. They will ask but you can legitimately deny them search access to your laptop and phone. However, if they find any stolen merchandise or drugs in the car, they have probable cause to search your computing gear for contact information or records. If you are staying with a friend, he will curse you because they will search his domicile too. You don't have to tell them you spend nights at someone's place because they track the location of your cellphone.

>sleep tight baby baba

That's the only way to sleep in the car in my suburb city (assuming you don't suffocate due to lack of air. That's because any unknown car or car with fogged windows will be checked to see if someone is sleeping inside. If you simply fold the rear seats down and put your feet into the trunk, you will be seen. But if you totally hide inside the trunk and have some black fabric hanging down the opening, you will not be spotted.

Any old truck with a camper. Keep in mind, it probably won't run well.

If you are serious, I'd get a gym membership with a good shower and sink set up. Or a YMCA account if you have one of those near you.

unironically, look for a shitty minivan, every minivan that's not a chrysler product or toyota sienna drops value. look for a 90s ford winstar, honda odyssey, mazda mpv, chevy ventures
buy a inflatable mattress at walmart. get a cigarette lighter to standard outlet converter get a small microwave. get a bucket and take hundreds of shopping bags for a toilet.

just get a wagon, any wagon. As long as you can sleep in the back, it should be good. Drape over the windows at night and use a sleeping bag. Honestly, you shouldnt be living in your car in your situation, just sleeping.

You're retardando if you want to live in your car for an extended period of time if you dont have the cash. Get a job.

you can run a dehumidifier

twingo

>you can run a dehumidifier
That wears out the battery sooner due to deeper cycling. And you have to find a way to recharge the battery every day if you use a dehumidifier.

at minimum a 1.5 meter long hatchback will do
or you could get a Honda insight

>Extended period of time
I said a few months

>If you don't have the cash
Who said I don't have cash. Take a reading class.