>FAQ and What to Play

FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34

What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas

pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

>Roguelike News:

Oook.cz competition: Oangband shadow-fairy rouge:
angband.oook.cz/competition.php?showcompo=202

The latest official /rlg/ PCB combo of the week is: Demigod (anything) Duelist. You can use PCB-R.

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account

User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/floatRand/PoschengbandR
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

literally no one

literal cuck

Nice time to post you big winner

>find reasonably well-fitting ANBC suit on a dead firefighter
>wash it off, weld some kevlar over a couple of holes, equip it
>become functionally invincible to melee, acid, the environment, electricity, and cold
I just walked into town and tanked 3 shocker brutes to the face at : stamina and 47 pain, took too long to kill a screecher, and had to slowly whittle away at the ensuing zombie horde with my 3 melee and 3 unarmed while wading through acidic zombies. The closest thing to damage I took was a few rips and tears on my leg pouches. And you lot still think Survivor gear and Rivtech is unbalanced.

I still fear bullets and explosions tho.

I just figured out how to install and operate PDCurses. hope I have the mindset to actually stay on track long enough to finish a game

>hope I have the mindset to actually stay on track long enough to finish a game
yeah this is the hardest part

>Meneldor will never pick you up and show you the world

it hurts

My experience (as someone who has no idea what they're doing) was that after slogging through the display and saving stuff, I realized I had no idea how to do anything interesting in a way that wasn't total ass.

And so my @ walking simulator sits.

>Meneldor will never pick you up, snap your neck like a dry twig, shove you unceremoniously in his mouth like a giant vermin, partially digest you into a slurry of visceral nutrients, regurgitate you into to the shrieking mouths of his adopted eagle children, then have noisy gay birdsex with Gwaihir for the 15,000th time this age

I saw this and thought of you

wow, 5.0.5's spell autotarget is pretty convenient - now I can add more wizardly types to the ever-growing splat repertoire

you could already do the same just by having a macro start with *t though, no?

reminder

Good night /rlg/

be sure to attend the temple of your choice on Sunday

>tfw demigod irl

kek

Has CDDA improved its faction mechanics any? Can I join an enclave of survivors and join them in raids against rivals?

No, faction code is one of the things that were never really implemented.

oh, darn. RIP.

they added laundry and shaving though

Thinking about altering the ENERGY_NEED() for PCBR.
Perhaps making standard deviation 12 instead of 25.

Vehumet> Sif Muna
Nemelex> Gozag
Anything> Qazlal

>Vehumet over anything
you lost me

top speedrunner is a DE of vehumet

i'll collect your tears at the check-out

>speedrunning being relevant

Greetings from another general (and someone who lurks here some of the time too, but that's irrelevant).

On a scale of 1 to torches and pitchforks, how averse would you guys be to merging with your retarded step-brother, /lite/?
We're both slow, but /lite/ especially at the moment (to the point of dying). We can go to /indie/ instead if you don't want an aneurysm, we're asking here first simply because we know this general runs slower (e.g., page 10 while I'm posting this).

I'll fockin' wreck ur shit m8.

Torches and pitchforks

Go to /indie/

don't be like that, we can be fraaaaaaaands. :(

No, we can't, we're too different.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Reported.

So that's a Maybe. Got it.

No
We already have enough "x is a roguelike. it's not turn based, but it somehow is a roguelike".
We can be friends from afar, but we can only be enemies up close.

Hey does anyone know here if I play DC:SS over SSH on the official servers if I can still spectate other players, have stats on so forth? Does it still registers streaks?

We should just move to /indie/ my /lite/ brother
This place sucks and will soon probably die a slow and painful death anyway.

Ill rather die than mold with the /lite/ dwebs.

Yo /rgl/ I'm new to the genre how long does it usually take for a player to get into a game and win it or even get an acceptable winrate?

Depends on the game

Can you give me an example for one of the major roguelikes?

Fucking finally I got an acceptable staff as quest reward from Old Castle Quest.

Dealing with Qs in that place is a fucking nightmare.

damn lucky bastard

We've got 5 years of history, user.
Go to /indie/.

Well, let's take DCSS as an example

DCSS can be hard or easy, this depends on what class/race combo you pick and what kind of run are you trying to do.

For example, for your first run, let's say you do a three rune run with a MiBe, that shouldn't take too long to beat for the first time, it might take some time but not too long, then you try other easy classes like GrFi (which might be a bit too similar to MiBe) or SpEn, it shouldn't take too long to win a three rune run with those, and if you keep playing eventually you will be able to win consistently, but it's gonna take some time.

Now, if you decided to take another race/class combo, one that's harder, or try to do run with more runes other than three, or both, it's gonna be hard, and it's gonna take a long time to get a consistent winrate.

If we take something else, like nethack, it's similar, depends on what race/class combo you pick and if you decide to read all the spoilers or not. If you want to win you have to read them

enchant the geeeeaaar
and with geeeeeaaaar I mean the boots
they're corroded
your AC is horrdendous for a melee character even with kamikaze

I know, actually did that after taking screencap.
I also shuffled some equipment around, but I still have shitty rings/amulets etc.
Played on coffeebreak-mode, so I haven't had too good drops yet on those.

>Played on coffeebreak-mode
Oh, that explains how you got level 50 in 4 hours.

I'D RATHER DIE
Yes that's the only way to play. You can actually spectate webtiles from there

Thanks for the reply, exactly what I was looking for.

So I downloaded DCSS and already learned that a Vampire Fighter is a pretty hard class and loses even to a hobgoblin on level 1. Time to read the DCSS pasta i guess

Only way to play? You mean best way? Because to this I can agree

Oh man the mandatory spoiler reading in nethack is what is really keeping me from trying the game, even though it is a classic

Don't worry. You'll still die because you didn't read all the spoilers.

"Dying is fun!"

I don't see any problem with merging and it'd keep the thread lively.

too late, we already unpacked all of our doritos and shitty roguelites in /indie/ after we got ree'd out. don't worry though, I'll always be lurking here ;)

R
E
E
E

Huh. I guess they removed that.
Serves me right for playing .17

Item destruction?

Jellies eating items you've already seen, so they split and give you freexp.

Fuck you, /rlg/ will never die while I'm here

Yeah
>local console
Dumb retarded fake console bullshit
>local tiles
Implying mouse interface, it's big and dumb looking too. How am I supposed to play without Veeky Forums and steam/discord/IRC on screen without having to alt-tab around?
>webtiles
Laggy garbage with all the negatives of local tiles and without even the mouse interface gimmick to try to save it
Chat is cool THO
>telnet/SSH
I'm an elite hacker doing remote access to my secret server
The only real way to play

This is a bad downstair.
Not as bad as the 8 headed hydra one I took in lair once but still this is pretty horrible without fear.

But will it ever live?

I'm no Mummy/MuMo expert, but that doesn't seem too bad. The centaur is right next to you, so it won't shoot you. If the orc wizard doesn't have Slow, they'll mostly be a non-issue (except for Throw Flame).

The giant frog will be the most dangerous thing, pound for pound.

>The centaur is right next to you, so it won't shoot you

The orc had a trident of flaming, the wizard had puff of flame and the priest started smiting.
I used the frog as a meatshield while running away to save myself from the barrage of arrows but I had to resort to read-id'ing scrolls. After wasting a blink I got a fear, then went upstairs next to a double headed ogre I had parked there
I re-read blink without shame.
Died to hasted wizard and regular priest spamming magic dart and smite while I was trying to run away later on.
Still, losing a doubleclever mumo is a good thing.

About midway through Lair. TeFe.
I only have three means to kill anything:

fly, sticky flame, and dance around hoping I don't get whacked until the thing dies

retreat to choke point, conjure flame, and spam flame tongue until the thing dies

animate skeleton, inner flame, ta then retreat and hope it blows the thing up

Only other attack spells I have memorized are bolt of draining and magic dart. What does one do at this point? Sticky flame and dodge through the entire dungeon? Is it really the only way? It usually starts to become mana inefficient to kill things from this point.

god?

Kiku
for the early animate skeleton

telnet or ssh :^)

what's wrong with fireball
haven't played in a long time

A yak gored me to death after you posted this

Less double turn bullshit would be cool.

>The Ring 'Stormbringer' with garbage stats
That's kind of painful to see.

to be honest i went into nethack without reading spoilers

you don't really focus on winning, in my opinion learning from your mistakes and dying is much more fun than reading up on what exactly does what.

>Recall to level

>Pit full of Chtonians
>Rooms full of many coloured dragons
>Pit of elven shades
>Null the Living void as guardian

This level is so exciting.

What a noble sacrifice!

Is there a typical progression route in CDDA? Playing for the first time, I notice there are bunkers and labs and stuff, but I've been mostly running around in an RV going from small town to small town, accumulating a horde of random crap. The worst things I've seen so far are shocker brutes in basements, which I ran away from, a random tank drone which I also ran away from, and a single zombie necromancer (that kept reviving things in the middle of a minefield then a bear came and murdered most of his posse).
It's pretty fine so far, but I was wondering if there are specific areas that you go to past earlygame? Do I just try to hit up a big town at some point?

Go to labs when you can.
Try to find acetylene torch so that you can destroy lab doors.

I think I have one of those.
Better go find a lab, then.

Just watch out for turrets, security bots, brutes and the cold

Especially the cold

What's PCB-R? Where can I get it?

there's this neat thing called google, you may have heard of it

Why is this not in the pasta

github.com/floatRand/PoschengbandR

... has the pcb pasta been updated in the past year or two?

Is this DRL?

Anyway, now that I splatted my character to one of those new uniques from Ellipsis/Pseudo, time to push update.

Only change that really matters is that energy is less random ( see img. )
Basically using 12 as standard deviation instead of 25.

I understand that graph perfectly and I have no reason to ask for any clues about what's been drawn there

This comment, but unironically.

How energy works for Poschengband is that:
1. On action, energy-need is rolled. The amount of energy needed is determined via normal distribution ( the curves in image are probability densities of old sd vs. new sd. The new curve is the blue one ). Some actions have set energy-need ( ex. double attack of monks )
2. Creatures substract a value from energy-need determined by speed-to-energy-table. More speed, more energy is substracted.
3. When energy-need reaches 0 or less, creature gets a turn.

Basically it makes double/triple-turns less likely. That applies to players, too.
However, it is still random. Just bit more predictable.

What options should I change for PCB-R?

Make truly major changes from PCB on a yes/no options toggle (bonus xp, the new energy change) and I'd recommend your version over others

that would also have a secondary purpose of forcing you to make a precise description of what the new options actually do ingame

>Make truly major changes from PCB on a yes/no options toggle
some of the things don't really make sense as a toggleable option though, like jewelry randarts

I'm really a perfectionist, and sometimes I feel that my neurotic min maxing may hurt my experience. I will a blind playthrough like you said for DCSS and see if it is more fun.

Any advise for programming a roguelike in c++? Programmin noob.

I'M NOT READY

there's a roguelike dev community on reddit

should i execute this floppy arelgee?

OMG I JUST STARTED PLAYING THE DCSS TUTORIAL AND THIS GAME IS AWESOME

it's ok
very newbie friendly though, and it has a great tutorial