Why doesn't America make a lightweight sports car?

>sub-3000 pounds
>turbo-4 or V6
>RWD
>sub-30K

You could steal a lot of sales from people interested in buying BRZ/GT86/Miata/Fiata's, just by advertising a good deal more power and torque. The new Mustang and Camaro both have decent chassis and handling, but are designed with being a V8 muscle car in mind and are pretty huge as a result. I'm sure they could make something smaller with little problem.

The Camaro V6 1LE is pretty close. Great sounding and racey V6 with 335HP, outstanding handling, just too much size and not enough window.

Other urls found in this thread:

kba.de/SharedDocs/Pressemitteilungen/DE/2016/pm_14_16_nr1_seg_03_16_pdf.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=2
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Mitsubishi should come back with Eclipse to compete with FRZ

They are coming back with the Eclipse. Good luck competing in a fucking crossover though lmao

Because amerifats don't know what lightweight it or how it works

Because these days it's hard to put a V6 in a sub-3000 lb car, and American 4 bangers aren't exactly sports car material.

They were supposed to make a SRT4 Dart.

Then they realized its more profitable to sell SUVs to women.

Just deal with the extra 200lbs and get a Vette... They're popular for a reason. Or make one of these if you want 2500lbs and almost 400 at the wheels.

Why would I want a faggy little ""sports car"" when I could get pedigree American muscle for the same price?

Americans don't know what sportscars are

The current Viper and Corvette are significantly lighter than most of their competitors while spending less on expensive materials like carbon fiber.

>Viper ~3300lbs
>Corvette ~3400lbs
>GT-R ~3800lbs
>NSX ~3900lbs

Lower down in the price range, both the Camaro and Mustang are lighter than the equivalent F-Type.

Exactly what I said

>Muh torque dip
>Muh lightweight
>Muh low power
>Muh fun to drive
Stop posting this meme car.
>>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>nd American 4 bangers aren't exactly sports car material.
fords 4 cylinder eco boost is great as is GM's l850.

A small light sports car would pull to many sales from the mustang and camaro. They would end up loosing more money offering both then offering none at all.

not really fair to compare to AWD family sedan and a hybrid

base carrera is around 3000 lbs

The Foxbody Mustang is nearly a full foot shorter and narrower than the current gen. Something that size with the 2.7L Ecoboost would be pretty fucking fun.

>fords 4 cylinder eco boost is great as is GM's l850.

>AWD family sedan

It's a track ready GT car with back"""seats""" that could only fit a legless midget.

>hybrid

So is an LMP1. It's a supercar, and it isn't a very economical one since the Corvette can achieve higher MPG's while being faster.

Looked it up
>JUST
I'm real upseat about this. Mitsubishi isn't making any sports anything anymore! Their sport oriented cars pretty much always hit the mark, why are they pushing so hard against their track-lyfe car history?

>So is an LMP1. It's a supercar
you fucking idiot a Carrera GT is a 3000 lb supercar and a 918 is a 3600 lb supercar. Guess where the extra weight comes from?

The Mustang could easily be there already if Ford would just let the Cologne engineers loose. It worked in the Focus, Fiesta and ecoboost engines in general.

The eclipse wasn't american?

Crossovers sell. That's all Mitsubishi cares about

>heheh, i'm a real man kiddo, i don't need your swag cars, i have real AMERICAN muscle, and a real AMERICAN fedora i only own so i can have a hat to take off during the pledge of allegiance
>*respectfully removes fedora*
>oh say can you see, by the bright city lights, oh so hungry we are, ye grand golden arches

Your fuckin right bitch. Take your fagmobile back to europe. Don't want to see that in MY country

Only if you can beat me in a race through twenty consecutive roundabouts

I fucking TOLD you the early C1 style Corvette should've stayed. even alongside the larger corvettes targeting "GT" class.

I'll just drive over them with mah truuck

WWWOOOOOOOOO

They have center pillars instead of center islands, because it beautifies the neighborhood.

Nu male cuckboys: 1
Alpha bros: 0

But mitsubishi crossovers are barely selling over the competition's. They got a little market worth with the outlander so they dropped everything that wasn't like that. What dumb fuck is running mitsu fucking crist

Think my bullbar can handle em

It can't, they're made out of recycled trucks and all american masonry.

My bullbar is made outta recycled masonry and all american truck, so I win

I want to say safety regs and insurance premiums really fuck with what little profit margin the car you're describing

The 20th roundabout has donald trump standing in the center, with his feet embedded in concrete.

You can win the race and run over trump, or you can drive around him or lose. Your move, burgerman.

I'll hit Trump and we'll get Pence instead. Win-win

Pence is in car with me. He thinks muscle is for gays. Wouldn't straight men like boob cars instead? Pence, Pence is a genius.

You goin on a date with him then? Sounds like your the gay

Please don't make us look bad by being retarded on purpose
We went almost full Caterham. Try 1800 lbs.

>literal old lady car

No, we're straight. The only thing not straight here is the road. Do you doubt Pence's heterosexuality?

No, but since you're driving a fagmobile I sure as hell doubt yours. You probably kidnapped him

Mike "The electric fence" Pence?
Mike "Turning fruits into vegetables" Pence?
Mike "Thomas Edison has the best medicine" Pence?
Mike "7.62 for LGBTQ" Pence?
Mike "Like the cock, prepare for a shock" Pence?
Mike "Ass full of juice, face full of Zeus" Pence?
Mike "309 electoral volts" Pence?
Mike "Use sodomites as Christmas lights" Pence?
Mike "Third rail for the failed male" Pence?

>drives a muscle car because he wants to be inside a man

if my daily commute would be about driving 400km on perfectly straight line, i'd aim for something heavy and comfortable as well. burgers are right about that.

Not all burgers (and leafs) live in Texas. Curvy roads exist aplenty in North America. Also, the fact that the Mustang is the best selling sports car in Germany right now proves that Euros will buy American cars too.

WTF they're also super cheap and well maintained on my craigslist. Fugggg now I want to get one

Ugh I want an 818 so bad

Vette Kart

We did. No one bought it.

Source on that pal.
I can understand Germans buying fun cars like the 86, but not trash like a Mustang

t.libtard

I'm not but Mustangs are the best selling sports coupe in the world, and have been for awhile.

They were selling over 10K/yr in the US, better than the Miata, despite the usual GM build quality. But then 2008 hit.

kba.de/SharedDocs/Pressemitteilungen/DE/2016/pm_14_16_nr1_seg_03_16_pdf.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=2

It's a year out of date, but it was the best selling sports car for 5 or 6 months in Germany.

>this car is nice and light but doesn't have enough power
>all the competition with more power at the same price point is heavier
>cars that are as light but more powerful cost twice as much

Gee I wonder why. Protip: It's not because all auto manufacturers are dumb and you are smart.

>ford four cylinder eco boost is great