/saab/

Saab is the superior car due to it's superior safety features, swedish engineering prowess and don't let me get started on the turbo.

Prove me wrong

I'm sitting in my bed and can't take a pic but I've got a '72 Saab 96. I can attest

I can't

Right up to the moment when GM ruined them.

As a saab 9-3 SS, 9-3 Viggen and 900S owner i agree

i dont even have a saab. I've never considewred myself worthy

So superior

A Saab is objectively the best choice for a public road driven sedan, hatch or wagon. Some are pretty good for mild track use as well.

But emotionally, there are better cars out there. My 9000, with a mild tune, is pretty quick, and with a very little amount of investment (exhaust, fpr) I can get 300hp in my 3100lb car. They are tunning gems, but apart from highway pulls it will never hang with an e39+ m5.

this is a load of shit

9-5s have the comfiest seats ever made.

Even then they refused to cheap out, which eventually led to their death.

I've been waiting for this thread for a long time.

I'm really keen on getting a 900/9-3 hatchback as my first car. What should I be looking out for (which years are best, decent prices, common defects to watch out for etc)? I'm in the UK and there seem to be a fair few up for sale but I want one that will last.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've had a 2003 9-3 since 2012 and i have fallen in love with the car. I want to keep it for as long as possible. I plan on dumping a big ammount of money into it in the future to change *everything*, bigger brakes, new clutch, change some interior plastics, polish the headlights, change all the tubing and hoses, etc. thats how much i like it.

The door actuators fail like crazy (changed 6 of them already), i get random electrical gremlins like the CIM failing or coolant temp sensor failing or various other issues that go away by themselves after a few days, the interior plastics are shit and i should really silicone them up, the audio system is abysmal and im not savvy enough to put in an aftermarket one, i dont have an AUX input and thats about it, everything else is great, i dont even have to top off the 0w30 oil between changes, i got 220k kms on it

Best part is i paid 3500 eur back in 2012 for it, its dirt cheap and reliable and loaded with features, would buy again

the 900 (assuming you mean 94to98) had a b204 engine. They had a crappy turbo, t25 (some even smaller in bongland). The t25 will only last 100k miles to 200kmiles. they usually go at about 125kmiles. The heads need to be retorqued on occasion. THe SID will lose pixels, reattaching the ribbon cable will fix this, a new ribbon cable is 25dollars. The DIC may fail at 100k to 200k if plugs arn't changed regularly. DIC is about 300 dollars.

For the 9-3, the 99 9-3 uses the same engine as the 900. from 2000 to 2002 they used the b205. You would only want the SE with the b205R. In the united states Saab/GM recommended longer oil change intervals which led to sludge buildup. I don't think its as big of an issue in bongland.
My 9-3 has 243,000 miles on it. DIC failed (300dollars). The SID ribbon cable needed to be replaced.

There were some issues with bulkhead cracks at the mounting position for the steering rack.

Yeah, I like the look of the 94-98 900s but they tend to be both more expensive and worse shape than the 9-3s I've seen online so I'll almost certainly go with the 9-3. What's the difference between the b205 and the b205R?

Thanks for the help.

There is, I. The u.k. as far as I k ow, the b205e, the b205l, and the b205r
The 205e is a low pressure turbo
The 205l has a bit more pressure with a Garret turbo
The 205r has a Mitsubishi turbo, which is very preferred, viggen intercooler and intake.

This is true.

I have a 2006 9-5 (pic not mine). Love it, and will drive it until it can no longer be fixed. Best looking 9-5 ever made. Massive cargo space.

Had some minor electronic issues out the gate, usually in the summer the ets light will pop on, but if you start it up again, it goes off. For some reason it doesn't like the hot weather.

Surprisingly fantastic in snow and ice. It can't do a steep hill with really really heavy and wet snow. Whatevs, it's not a truck. Ets has saved my ass a couple of times.

It's due for some repair work though; my vents are wheezing, and it sounding more like a truck than a car. Any idea what that could be?

Well, the 9-5 Aero's do. I have a 2003 and there are definitely moments where I've missed them when I'm in my WRX.

They conceded on some small things. There are a few GM parts in my '06.

Overall though, it's a Swedish built car. It's sad that they went, but I'm glad they went out with dignity, not sacrificing who they were, and putting along the global market as rebadged Opel's

Also, I think the quality of the interior was better under Scania. A lot of the knobs and trim on the GM ones are kind of flimsy. The leather isn't quite as tough either.

Same deal. My 9-5 had a coolant leak and a bad fuel sensor (or maybe it was the gauge cluster, it would read empty when i just gave it a full tank.) Aux port has failed, and the fake wood trim has to be popped back on if you're too rough with the door.

My girlfriend has a 9.3 turbo.

It's probably the biggest piece of shit on the earth, I've spent more time fixing it then I have all 3 of my cars put together.

I will never buy a saab based on the piece of shit she owns. Especially since it only has 102k miles on the fucking thing

you are completely right

tfw 3rd gear pull from 60-80

Just bought a 2000 9-5 wagon with 150k miles for $1800 today

Not bad.

I drive an auto 2010 9-3 2.0, I love it but if only I could find a low-mileage, manual example with a sunroof...

Fuck off,
Do you know how many Servo oil lines and Automatic lines i had to do for these shitboxes?

>FF
>longitudinal engine
>slanted
>backwards
>transaxle used as oil pan
>yet sperate lubrication

Okay saab

As unusal as the drivetrain was, the 900 was one of the best handling FWD available and outperformed many RWD euro sport sedans. There are a lot of good reasons for keeping the transmission oil and engine oil separate. The drivetrain layout also allows the clutch to be swapped very quickly.

bread on bed

now

Are the 2.0T engines okay? I've heard they drop valves which spooks me? Which engines should i gravitate to and which ones should i run away from? I'm looking at 2004+ saabs

I've had a 2005 9-2X Aero for a couple of weeks now. The entire interior except for the back seats was swapped with the 2005 WRX and it is fantastic. I absolutely love it, and hardly anyone gives me stupid looks like I would in a WRX.

Plz respond

2.0T 07-09 may want to avoid. You might want to look on saabcentral they will have more info. You are probably better of with a 9-5 2.3T

Am I alone in really disliking the 2002+ SAABs? They look so boring compared to what came before it.