/dmt/ daily manual thread

Ask questions related to driving a manual here.

So I have been driving manual for about 3 months now. I feel as if I have got it down for the most part, don't need my handbrake for hillstarts anymore and have good reversing control

I'm still worried about fucking up my clutch

What is incorrect clutch use that leads to a burnt out clutch?

When I take off in first I find my revs are around 2-3k. is that too much that will fuck my shit up?

I also find in slower tighter areas that I use my clutch a fair bit to control speed and stop stalling. eg car parks when everyone is trying to get out. or slow manuvures. how badly is it to use the clutch in crawling speeds? should I use it for a certain amount of time (like say 10seconds) before I push it back in all the way to give it a bit of a rest.

delet this thread

Do people here really think driving a manual is a real skill?

wtf i hate manual now

When the engine is spinning fast and the clutch is only partially engaged that's what burns it.

Feathering the clutch at low speeds does cause wear but you cant avoid it, it's normal usage. I find myself feathering second gear to move around parking lots (1.4L 4 banger EU shitbox though).

>When I take off in first I find my revs are around 2-3k

RIP clutch

Does that really fuck up the clutch?

No. It wears the clutch a bit but I'd consider that a pretty normal rev range for taking off. I usually take off at 2k. Any less and my shitbox engine starts to choke. If you have a diesel car you can get away with way lower rpm tho.

the clutch disk makes more friction when engaging the gear

and the cluch wears down faster over time

Damn, I feel like I fucked up with the car I bought because it's annoying for me to drive in the morning. I'm fairly young (25), but I had big surgery on both of my knees and they feel very stiff in the morning. My clutch grabs really early so it takes some finesse that my legs simply don't have the dexterity for in the morning. Any suggestions from older anons or people that have similar shit? Been driving stick for 6 years, only been a problem for the last year.

can I feather the throttle up while I'm changing gears as if I'm starting the car in 1st gear again? I find this makes my gear shifts (particularly 1st -> 2nd) much smoother especially since engine braking in 2nd gear is immediately apparent.

is this ok for the clutch?

Slipping it is slipping it which is bad (necessary to do so from starting from a stop but to address above posts, 1.5k revs and don't drop the clutch when the car starts moving)

To get into 1st at say, 3-5mph you'd smooth it out a fair bit by double clutching and making at least some attempt to rev match. Aside from this double clutching is a meme though

The more you drive stick, the smoother you get at it. You'll get to a point where its not something you even think about. Its just a matter of being in tune with the motor and your surroundings.

It's an essential in places that aren't Burgerland

It is a skill but only obsessed yuropoors whining about Americans think it's a difficult one that only they can learn

Who else /heeltoe/ backwards here?

Its the only way I could do it in my last car with how the pedals were spaced, brake with heel gas with toe.

It worked

>brake with heel gas with toe.

what the fuck does your leg look like

so when slipping between gears, which is worse? Throttle while releasing the clutch or being too slow with releasing the clutch (throttle or not)?

To shift into 2nd gear smooth, I either have to do it almost as slowly as 1st gear starting (and sometimes it's still not smooth) and I found that feathering the throttle helps a lot so I don't feel the engine brake immediately once the clutch is released completely.

i just wanna be as smooth as an automatic without killing the car. Fuck I'll just get a DCT car next time.

I tried. The normal way and that way because I couldn't do it normally. Either way I can't do it properly but the reverse way does seem to work better. Don't want to blame my car when I could just be lacking practice but could that be the problem?

How do you heel toe with this set up, especially if the throttle pedal is a bit farther in? Maybe it's also because I would never need to brake hard in normal traffic in the first place.

>been driving 7 years
>never driven an automatic
>borrow my Dad's new S4
>all going well
>without thinking I press what in my mind is the clutch to change gear at 70mph
>it is actually the brake
>turns out an S4 has really good brakes
>could have caused a massive crash
>neck hurt for ages
Thank fuck there was no one behind me

I do but only because it's much easier for me to have steady braking with my heel and blip the throttle with my toe. It's hard for me to have steady toe pressure on the brake when I'm moving my heel.

Lol I guess breathing and chewing are essential skills for Europeans too?

He is saying its so easy it's not a skill but I guess that was too complicated for you to understand.

I don't know why OP keeps making these threads but at least they serve as containment. Not all of us grew up where it was standard or had a dad to teach us.

Please stop driving

It's a thread with [mostly] civil discussion and people helping eachother which is VERY rare on Veeky Forums, I don't see the problem with people wanting to be better drivers, especially on a car enthusiast board anyway
Let's dial this back for a second; slipping the clutch refers to having the clutch in any state that isn't completely depressed or released (on that note don't rest your foot on it while driving); this burns the clutch and the only time you should ever be doing it is starting from a stop. If you want to move a small distance in traffic it's good to slip it halfway to start moving then press the clutch back in/go to neutral.

I misread your question and thought you wanted to go from 2nd to 1st. Anyway 1st to 2nd is a jerky shift, especially in more powerful cars but what you'd do is figure out what revs you'd be in in 2nd and let the revs fall to that with the clutch in before letting it out, it's like downshift rev matching but in reverse. Example: you're in 1st at 4k revs and 2nd gear would put you at 2.5k revs
>press clutch in
>put stick in 2nd
>wait for revs to hit 2.5k
>let clutch out
The closer to 2.5k you actually put the stick into gear, the smoother it'll be. Personally given 1st's short ratio I either rev it relatively high (4k~) or short shift (2k~) out of it

Don't get a DCT, manual is smooth as fuck once you learn it and it's rewarding, just keep with it, we all went through this frustration and embarassment. Also the DCT cars I've driven (340i, Lambo Superleggera, McLaren 12C) were jerky as all fuck; a manual driver can typically shift smoother than your average slushbox/DCT

That's actually very true. I just wouldn't make it a dedicated general with a name like daily manual thread. If the mods weren't retarded they could just add a section to the sticky.

Yeah /dmt/ is a bit dumb and triggers auto drivers but every fucking thread that isn't just shitty attempts at trolling/shitposting is a daily/general at this point.

I mean I've watched this board go to shit far more than any other board I frequent so it's nice having an actual discussion

Neck yourself

>tfw can't heel and toe in my 2014 mustang
Working on it.

When coming to a red light is it bad I don't go down through the gears.

I just get my foot off the gas and let it slow down naturally. maybe tap the brake a bit lightly to slow it down faster then once I get closer I clutch in and brake until I stop.

if it looks like it's about to move again I change to 2nd or 3rd. kick the revs up a bit then let the clutch up again

Thing is a sticky is the opinion and advice of one person and leaves out important things others could have covered, plus we don't need more "read the unhelpful sticky" shitposts so people can't ask questions if they're unsure of something
That's perfectly fine

No one has helped me with a suggestion for my knees tho :( it's really killing me in the morning, maybe I should do yoga or something idfk...or just wish my clutch didn't grab so early in the pedal release.

Doesn't mean everyone is always going to answer every question, especially since people will ignore the earlier posts, what's your question

I am not this bad but I got a Ralliart which has the DC-SST and for the first 2 weeks I could kick the dead pedal thinking clutch.
I'm still down the middle of this auto thing. I have manual control in this one at least, so I can shift early when just driving and then shift at redline when I am doing some gentle highway driving with other vehicles.