Generators and other useful resources
pastebin.com/aeg28Ktm
[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
yanfly.moe/
[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List
Collection of old RPGM games
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz0L3Pxrc8tqfnB1dFhTZHZwSV91cW1KMW9wcUM2WHhwSFFFMUVJX0pEYVExMndNLWtXbGs&usp=sharing

The /rpgmg/ podcast:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A

/rpgmg/ Chain/Collaboration Game!
Currently working:
Bubbles !u696zUYxpM
Version 13B: mediafire.com/download/89tsrb5ka31g36h/rpgmgcollab_v13B.zip

Latest SteelZeroes Demo!
mediafire.com/?7j353lkhfpnnx27

Tomb of Friends demo pep.itch.io/tomb-of-friends-demo

The Long Road demo:
gamejolt.com/games/thelongroad/236740

/rpgmg/ Discord:
discord.gg/pQShn

Other urls found in this thread:

morewords.com/ends-with/ist/
enty.jp/en/usui634?active_tab=posts#2
youtube.com/watch?v=2y6aVz0Acx0
youtube.com/watch?v=TcSRgfpP9ko
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Does anyone know if Kaduki still does sprites? I want to support him on Enty but I'm only seeing portraits.

Not a bingo but guilty of a few

>game is still in idea phase
YES I AM SAFE

Post progress, lads

What are "Thou must" dialogue choices?

Any ideas for a name for my character class with "ist" in the name? such as perfectionist, imaginist.

The class should fit this persona: determined, creative, uppity and adamant. I'm basing my classes in archetypes, so fitting this should be cool.

Bingo!

"Help, my cat is stuck in the tree! Will you get her down?"
>yes
>absolutely
>okay fine I guess

When the dialogue tree only has yes responses.
Like the classes are perfectionist and such or just needs that ist at the end?

spiritualist. cultist, hypnotist
Also: morewords.com/ends-with/ist/

>last launched
>2/11/2017

Woah, you are in the future?

Sadly I'm just an americlap.

The point of this is to keep the player engaged. Not to give them control of the conversation or story.

Made me laugh, thanks guys.

Work on your game

but I am

I am!

Good boys

How do you manage youtr time, user?

Being a hikkineeto who plays vidya and watches animu all day it is hard to find time to work on the game.

Just do stuff other than play video and watch anime. Don't cut these things out completely, that's not fair to yourself. Instead, set aside a small amount of time every day to work on your game. Every week increase that block of time by an hour until you're up to 4-6 hours a day.

That way you only have to have the will power to stop your game/anime for an hour at first, then slowly work your way up.

Arise from your slumber

I have been busy, but I'm back to working on the prologue.

I-it isn't like I'm just bumping you or anything...

Bumping for an answer.

Bumping again

Also, I mean this guy
enty.jp/en/usui634?active_tab=posts#2

These are nice. How does that site work exactly? Is it like a subscription?

From what I can understand, it's basically Doujin Patreon. The $3/month tier lets you see all of his work including .psd files. Even if it doesn't have sprites I'm still considering subscribing since his VX resources were great.

Are bears carrion eaters?

that's a lot of content for a 100yen

What is your strangest item?
It can be due to a weird effect or a weird name/description

Never!

A mirror. It only does one thing.
It tells you how beautiful you are.

"Forbs, roots, tubers, grasses, berries and other vegetation, and insects comprise most of the bear's diet. But grizzlies are very adaptable, finding and subsisting on a variety of foods if necessary. The grizzly diet can include small rodents, fish, carrion, and even garbage and human food if it is easily available."

Deer are opportunistic cannibals. Especially in the winter. Which could be the inspiration behind the Wendigo myth.

>Having non-white characters

Yeah fucking right.

This doesn't bother me for political correctness 'muh diversity' reasons, it just bugs me from an actual aesthetic diversity standpoint when every human in a vast fictional world has the same skin color.

Same reason I hate when games set in fantasy worlds with tons of non-human races somehow end up with all-human (or human analogous) playable casts 90% of the time.

An entire cast of ambiguously eurasian young adults who all happen to be immaculately beautiful just isn't visually or thematically interesting.

Other than the shaky-head on the top animation, are these walk cycles ok?

On the side-walk sprites, it looks like their legs are rotating in a circle. The shading isn't consistently applied to the further-away leg

What would I do to fix that?
Make the shading darker in the thighs?

but I mean....look at them
they're all so...hot!
idk about you but my other girl friends and I have been loving The Amazing Adventure of Hot Boys

The leg that is further away fromthe screen should be the one that is shaded. Not the leg that happens to be moving backward

I thought that was what I was doing. What makes it look like I am not?

I dunno. I like hot characters better when there's other types of characters to contrast.

When you have all twinks like Final Fantasy XV or all huge-tiddied ninjas like Senra Kamurga it really dulls the novelty.

Well i mean you go somewhere like Mexico and you're gonna see Mexicans. Diversifying is good but it should make sense in the world setting. Sometimes you don't need to add a few white guys to your Indonesian adventure just to have diversity.

Your neutral sprite is at the end, instead of the middle, so it looks like her legs are rotating counter-clockwise.

Also, your 'walking forward' animatins don't have a foot going forward; just backward. It looks odd

Oh. That is it. That must be why it doesn't look nearly as bad in the Maker as it does in Photoshop

I was trying to make an in-between for what this video calls the contact and down poses at minute 55 because it seemed like the "opposite" of the character just standing up:
youtube.com/watch?v=2y6aVz0Acx0

Should I try to copy the "up" pose?

That's partly my beef.

Tons of RPGs have huge fantasy worlds but the whole party ends up being just attractive anime teens anyways, ignoring the fact that a way more mixed cast would be not only more interesting, but more thematically fitting as well.

I get that the main character and love interest at least need to be human so players can relate to them, but it is a missed opportunity when you've created an RPG world that already incorporates lizardmen or goblins or whatever other non-human races with apparent intelligence and they all get relegated to plot-unimportant NPCs.

Stuff like Final Fantasy XII and Star Ocean immediately come to mind as being games that show monsterfolk and alien races (that aren't just space elves) existing alongside humans, yet leave them mostly ignored even when it comes to villains.

Not really a dealbreaker or anything, I just really appreciate when an RPG has a visually diverse cast of characters.

Well you're using a side-view perspective instead of the traditional Three-Quarters view.

3 frame walk cycles, IMO, don't work well with larger sprite styles either.

Increasing the walking frames is easily accomplished with plug-in.

You should play Final Fantasy Legend (SaGa). You can play as the monsters you fight in random battles, and they even inhabit most towns

Funny you should say that, FFL/SaGa 2 was one of my favorite games growing up and I'm just in the middle of the DS remake right now.

It's got a snazzy artstyle.

>mfw the 'Mutant' race aren't body horror abominations like I imagined as a kid, but instead incredibly homosexual elves

Was that ever officially released in English, or is there a ROM lying around somewhere?

Never localized but there's a translation patch if you feel like piratin'.
It's pretty much a straight upgrade of the original and retains basically everything so I highly recommend it if FFL2 was your jam.

I don't feel like that's quite the spirit of it. The original "but thou must" allows the player to *refuse*, but then that line comes up and you're booted back to the choice. This example allows for varying flavours of yes, but it doesn't pretend that you have the option not to do it - it's more an attempt to let you angle an existing personality a bit rather than trying to let you make your own.

The rpgs with diverse cast are some of the worst games I've played. The characters have nothing in common. They have no synergy. The game lampshades any question of why they need to travel together in the first place.
>Mai Power of Friendship.
>You have defeated me in combat; I am your humble servant.
>You've save my life; I owe you a life debt.
>It is my duty to seek you out, oh chosen one.
>You can't expect this precocious [ Loli | Shota] to survive on their own with their [tech wizardy|magical ingenuity], can you?

"Let's go on an adventure!"
>No
"Why not? It'll be fun!"
>No
"Why not? It'll be fun!"
>No
"Why not? It'll be fun!"
>No
"Why not? It'll be fun!"
>Yes
"All right! Let's go!"

My favorite is the Suikoden angle:

>No
>"Come on, man!"
>No
>"We need to save them. Why else are we here?"
>No
>"I understand if you don't like them. But how can we go back to our families without trying to save theirs?"

And then it repeats. Basically, it gives you a few reasons instead of just one stock phrase.

There's also Custom Robo where Yes and No often give you a different line, but move the plot along regardless. My favorite is when you are asked 12 times if you want to save the world

youtube.com/watch?v=TcSRgfpP9ko

It was, until Edo and the huge diffculty spike. I'll look it up. Thanks

>tfw I always thought Mutants were Elves because of the silly romance novel-tier art in the FFL manual

Brown-skinned dragon Mcfamous who was slandered and imprisoned by the final boss. Likes training the human and bantering with mini-bosses.
Black-skinned angel with black clothes and white trim. Is the childhood friend who died near the start and came back to help out. Alternates between stick up the ass and broing it up with MC.
Masked white human who hides his identity because he's on an edgerevenge quest against the final boss. Mellows out when you get him drunk, which is how he meets the party. Keeps trying to ask angel if dead family is in heaven.
Yellow-skinned furry who is the standard MC otherwise
Red-skinned elven love interest

99% of RPGs are pretty flimsy plotwise so I don't think that's an inherent problem with having diverse characters. Even beloved franchises like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest almost exclusively have 'excuse' plots, so it's not going to make it any worse if you make some character designs interesting.

Of course if you have what you think is a good, serious story that would be compromised if you shoehorned in a bunch of magic shotas or a brother who keep chickens in his afro, there's obviously no need for diversity for the sake of diversity.

But in non-grimdark high fantasy it can't hurt to pile on the wacky shit if you feel so inclined. Or to be Yoko Taro and mix your grimdark with wacky shit anyways.

How many layers of irony does your game have?
Or at the very least, do you have irony in it?

If you mean irony as in fourth-wall breaking jokes or 'ironic' RPG tropes then stuff like that really makes me cringe.

no. Like in my game, you're a supervisor in a tech company. One of the first things you do in the game is fire one of your employees but then quite soon after you also get fired. Possibly for firing that employee earlier.

Do they form a color-coded super sentai team?

Do increased frame plug-ins cause problems with other types of animations? For example, would that trick of rotating and using steps to create a "dance" sequence that some guy was trying to do two threads ago work with plug ins for 5 frame steps? I ask because I will need that sort of trick to make lewd scenes.

Also note that I am making that game mostly because I'd like to "have a game under my belt" in order to approach more competent artists to make future games, so I am ok with the frame rate looking a little bit off for the sake of cutting on production time, as long as it is good enough to attract some 200 or so blog followers once I release the game for free.

Fouth-wall breaking isn't Irony.
And you're thinking of hipsters doing things ironically as self expression. For them "it's bad, so it's good"
"This band is the worst. I'm wearing their t-shirt ironically"

It would be ironic if he did it to save his own job, and it had the reverse effect. The way you present it is important.

Oh, but of course, if you think the animation looks bad enough that it might get in the way of that objective? Please do tell me. I don't want to cut corners on production time that badly.

Have you made progress today?

A lot!
Did several abilities and ability animations and did some enemy art. The game is progressing!

That's great!
How fares your thread on the forum? Got some people interested?

The short bus loves it and wants me to come back everyday! How can the forums be any different?

Nah.

Good night bump

bump

You know I wanted to write something relevant to making progress but I only make about 5 minutes worth of progress a day so just have a bump

Got about 600 views thus far. Overall between everything I've had around 1000 impressions. Not terrible but I'm hoping for more. I have like six months of straight dev time to gradually build up interest. Eventually a beefed up version of the demo will be released. Going to be putting it in Greenlight hopefully before it shuts down.

Any advice on getting more of a word out there? The people who see it generally enjoy it, so I think I'm doing okay so far.

>page 10
OH NO YOU DONT

Almost...

live

You can make me live but you can't make me work on my game.

>living
lol what a scrub

I'm okay with this.

This is actually super aesthetic. Well done.

>all humans are white
Honestly I tend to default to white people when making a human design, and I feel like that's simply because I've grown up around mostly white people. So it makes me wonder if I'd default to black designs if I grew up in a black family
In any case my game isn't all-white

>it makes me wonder if I'd default to black designs if I grew up in a black family

Provided everything else about your life was the same and you still went into making games here, I think this would be the case.

I'll only say about the whole "humans are all white" thing is that I hate that when you want diversity in a game it's seen as "pandering" or "making the SJWs happy" as if not having straight white cis males is something that should be frowned upon desu

I only get bothered by it when the amount of minority characters is significantly higher than their real life presence for no given reason
The entire world is about 19% black. Unless your game adequately explains it, I'm gonna have questions if your game takes place on earth or has a very similar setting and has a 40% black population.
The inverse applies as well, if a setting gives me adequate reason to believe there wouldn't be terribly many white people I'll notice the whitewashing.

I wouldn't guarantee it. White often becomes the default for non-white people too, because they grow up consuming media featuring mostly white people.

blumpf

Bumpa

Bumpaga

How early is too early to make a demo?

i'd say you want around half an hour to an hour of solid gameplay and storytelling for a demo. too little gameplay and too much story in your demo will feel like it has no narrative substance, while the flipside will feel empty and pointless.

to give a solid answer varies game by game, but if you're doing traditional "story, dungeon, story, dungeon" style, I'd recommend waiting until a few dungeons in + story before you start considering a demo. this will give you time to get into a flow for the game, iron out awkward bits that tend to happen with new projects, and get presentation work started. plus if you (like many people) get sick of your project and drop it at some point (99% chance you will like everyone else) then you're not bound and committed to a project you don't want to continue with no demo floating around.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.
As much as I love Final Fantasy please DO NOT make your main villain an eccentric white guy who appears aloof but is merely playing along as they further their "plan"

>white guy
get the fuck out of here you racist. I know who you are

can i make my main villain an eccentric white guy who appears aloof but merely wants to blow up the fucking planet because he's absolutely nuts?

What if he isn't human?