B/o/ats Are Aut/o/

B/o/ats are Veeky Forums related.

Does anyone on Veeky Forums into boating?

I want to into b/o/ating but I don't make enough money to warrant a 10k+ boat and I'm wary of their maintenance and fuel usage.

I'd like to budget like 2-4k at most for a boat and ideally one that wont cost $100 in gas for one outing. Anyone familiar?

Other urls found in this thread:

goldenstateglassics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2
sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/6086568268.html
orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/6020161671.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/6076632770.html
monterey.craigslist.org/boa/6064328978.html
loz.craigslist.org/boa/6082545075.html
youtu.be/SJz-VY5ECso?t=142
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are rowboats the Miata of boating?
>slow af
>cheap
>muh feels

>boats
More maintenance
More fuel
Cost more than cars with half the advanced electrical/safety shit - yet still have more issues.

I really want to like boating, but I have friends that are into it that have simple shit and dont beat on them and they still are broken every other trip out.

Supra is the canoe

>muh inline 6

Y/o/u d/o/n't need to put slashes around every "o" y/o/u type

Why even buy a boat if you aren't gonna go fishing? I probably spend $50 per year on fuel. Electric trolling motor does 90% of the work. Only use the main engine to move to a new spot

i have a 10' aluminum boat that i can fit in the back of my mini truck, and can carry to and from the beach myself

boat is rated for 5hp but it goes like snot with a 9.9 on it, boat cost $300 and motor $300

I live on an island so its nice to be able to go across the channel after the stores close without paying fucking ferry fare

only really safe in relatively calm water, but who wants to go boating in a storm anyways?

>he's never been tubing or wake boarding in Texas with hot bitches on his boat
LOL

Get a sailboat. Only need gas for getting it in and out of port.

Tubing is shit boring

I have a boat, pic related, and I love it.

but - ask yourself the following:

>Do you have truly expendable income?
That's a big part of boating. Even with a lot of cars except buying new you can usually get a good chunk of your money back out of them. Boats are even easier to put more money into you'll never get back.

>Storage/Downtime
If you're like me (I'm in central midwest) and only get 3-4 truly consistent good months of boating - and if you work a full time job or have school - and depending on weather ---- a boat can be hard to get good use out of for some people.
For me, I work 8-5 Monday thru Friday. Weekends off. For weekdays it isnt feasible for me to get home around 5:30-6, hook up the boat, drive down and put it in the water, get the truck/trailer parked. It's 7-7:30 by the time I'm on the river ready to mess around. Gives me 1-2 hours at most to enjoy it and load up and still get home in time to shower/clean/unload boat/etc.
So its a very weekend thing. I often am busy on weekends with other shit and what if the weekend is shit weather - there goes a big chunk of boating time.
This means you also have to have good storage space/means for the boat as it will sit a lot. I luckily can leave it in my garage most times as it's big and I have a big driveway. I cover it in my driveway thru winter.
>Maintenance
No doubt they're more maintenance especially in bigger boats. You have water often getting around your interior - it's much more exposed than a car and requires more regular cleaning.
It's also really not fun when you break down out on the water with no way back or have to spend 3 hours at 2-4mph back to dock on a trolling motor if you have one.
Costs are much higher for labor on boats usually and it's easier to have catastrophic failures if not maintained/winterized properly.
>Fuel
This is a true one - they suck gas at least in most bigger boats. Even 4cyl motors that get good fuel mileage in a car - pushing water is a huge difference.

Ohhh gtfo. Fuckin sour puss.

>get a tube
>throw three people on it
>fight each other to see who can stay on longest
>grab a beer and hang out on the boat

You are either a fat as fat fuck or you have assburgers.

>In Texas
>8 good months of boating
I feel bad for the rest of you folks not in the south.

I'm not an alcoholic thanks though

he said grab a beer, nigger.

>genes are so shitty he can't enjoy alcohol in moderation
LOL, fat fuck.

>Fuel(cont)
However if you are okay with something like a jon boat, a little jon 14-16' jon boat with a 6-15hp often can run around all day on $10-20 and then some. They wont be breaking any speed records or be the most comfortable thing on the water however they're generally reliable, and more forgiving to a new boater if you smack a log or something. Great for the casual fishing trips too.

My buddy's 9.9hp johnson 16' jon boat we'll take on the mississippi river even on a strong current day and will run 15mph cruising on plane upstream. It's great for just beating around without much worry.

Otherwise for any other decent sized boat - mine's a 19' Sylvan 190 with the Chebby 350 5.7 Mercruiser and I pretty much treat it as when it gets low on - i refill it. I don't think about the fuel consumption although it's actually still not much more than a 4cyl or v6 in the same boat since its a lot more about the fact i have enough torque it isnt stressing as much pushing my boat around in water.
All in all - they're different to work on - but they're still motors with just some different marine parts on them. If you can work on them yourself they're great.

You just have to ask yourself if you really are okay with the downsides of boat ownership. It's easy to get rose tinted goggles after going out with buddies because you aren't the one dealing with all the upkeep/storage/etc.

My advice would be to get a nice little $1500-2500 16' jon boat with something like a 9.9. good starter boat that wont break your bank.

I'd like it but at the same time I don't know. I enjoy the cold months as they force me to be productive on other things than just my bike and boat. It's the only time i make much headway on my car, house, and garage projects.

If you just want an old cruiser get a mid 60s to early 70s fiberglass boat. Here's a good forum to check out
goldenstateglassics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

These boats are rugged and cheap. Outboard is always easier to deal with than inboard. Something like this is the top end, a Chris Craft with a V8 I/O -
sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/6086568268.html

There are Dorsetts, Glaspars, and many others that don't command quite what a Chris Craft does-
orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/6020161671.html

I've seen nice 16' Dorsetts sell for under $2k, lots of people are in a position where they need to sell a cheap boat since they have been spending $300 a month to store and maintain something that's worth less than 6 months of those payments and they hardly use it. You of course will also end up in that position, but that's just part of the fun of boating. Here's some project type boats if you like to wrench a bit

sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/6076632770.html
monterey.craigslist.org/boa/6064328978.html

what's a good amount to pay for a boat like yours?
I really want a boat like your bowrider. I want to be able to go out with a few friends and just cruise/float/stop at beaches. Im also in midwest sorta (kansas city area) so got similar weather

>what I really want is a mahogany boat with a T top
>Kansas
Say no more
loz.craigslist.org/boa/6082545075.html

i have a 18 foot innie/outie with a 4.3 v6. I go through about 10 gallons when i go out. Not all that bad really.

I enjoy my kayak more than the boat though, boats are a kind of pain in the ass and I live on the water with a dock, so it isn't like I have to go to marina, i just walk down to my dock. But after 10 years, a boat is kind of pain in the ass after the first few years.

The innie/outie was cheaper than an outboard in terms of power, looking back i would get a true outboard. Of course you need to figure out where you will be boating and pick the right boat for that. A boat for a lake is going to be different than one for a bay.

my dad likes powerboats
he has had 3
when we going like 80 mph i just sit there expecting to die.
they always suck in mud in shallow water and get fucked.

If you wanna get out on the water and do some fishing or what not just get an aluminium dingy and put an engine way too big for it's rating on it.

Big boats are mostly overrated, if you don't have kids or a guaranteed regular audience to entertain with waterskiing and what not then I would say don't bother, you're not gonna use it much.

If you're looking for an aquatic adrenaline rush I would suggest maybe a stand up jetski or a New Zealand Style Jet Dinghy. (Sit down jet skis lose their novelty in very short order).

youtu.be/SJz-VY5ECso?t=142

IMO the funnest way to be out on the water is in a kayak though, white water or otherwise.

My dad's picking up a 2006 jenneau sun odyssey 43ds next month, I'm slightly hyped even though he's on the other side of the country. Can't wait to get out for some ultra comfy sailing.

Get a simple aluminum boat with an outboard with tiller steering. Probably the lowest maintenance power boat you can get, though if you want to anything more than fish you're SOL.

>Does anyone on Veeky Forums into boating?

I'm a merchant sailor if that counts

once again though smaller boats are funner in sailing, getting to actually hang off, ducking under the mast, feeling like you're breaking the sound barrier going 15 knots.

until some fuckwad in a cabin cruiser makes a huge wake

i worked at west marine and got drunk on a lot of sailboats thats the extent of mine and 90% of other boat owners experience.

I have a centurion, debate me.

For a decent one I'd look for a well maintained late 80's-90's 18-22'. Expect to pay around 2500-3500 for a decent one.

I bought mine in November for $2000 so I got a damn good deal but mine had a lot of interior cleaning needed and I still need to re-wire the gauges. But mine is a $4500-7000 boat in good to mint condition.

>wanting to be around people

boats aren't for me

I have a little 14' jon boat I built in my welding class in high school. I have a 9.9hp evinrude on it.
It can be a little sketchy on rough days on the river but for the most part it's great. Just try to be mindful of wakes from bigger boats.

Boats like mine in decent shape run like $1000-1500 at max. Super affordable. I have a little 7 gallon tank and i can cruise all weekend and more on it. I mostly just use it to go out an fish/float/stop at sand bars.

Nice thing is a boat like mine is about anything can pull it. I pull mine with my 4cyl 5speed ranger.

Do boats come with a 6-speed Getrag? If not, I'm out.