/indie/ - Indie and Obscure Games General

Why the fuck am I making the OP edition.

Last thread, we wuz ded n' shiet >What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy, Cookie Clicker, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZlikSWgQ3rY
youtube.com/watch?v=q3JuZvrNMKk
youtube.com/watch?v=cWXwbonGH3Q
youtube.com/watch?v=y3GSuWx2nPM
youtube.com/watch?v=x-HWjIzoTNo
twitter.com/SyaxAttack/status/838808991903932416
suitgames.com/gamelist/
youtube.com/watch?v=QSaA8PnPM44
youtube.com/watch?v=nDkJAEivhK4&index=20
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>get 100% map complettion and the 3 bugs I missed in momodora 4
>/indie/ died
I almost wish the priestess would not always die or get cursed in a horrible fate in Momodora games but it is certainly part of the series charme.

This general is deader than my grandparents. What went wrong?

besides me and my /lite/ brothers still keeping our thread on life support for some reason

Tell /lite/ to either play a real roguelike or join in here.

These 3 achievements I am missing are potentially 3 playthroughs or a lot of dying so I just won't bother with them now.

>tfw /indie/ struggle to survive

CUT MY THREAD INTO PIECES, THIS IS MY LAST OP.

/indie/ has always had a hard life.

>What went wrong?

It comes and goes.

I don't know what ch'yall talking about. the Soundtrack to SV is great

how is ROM

>break into a car
>to pull a lever and open the trunk
>to steal the toolbox and get a spanner
>to lower the hoop for a kid playing basketball
>to get him to finally score and stop playing
>and convinces his grandpa to go to the zoo
>in order to break into their empty house and steal grandpa's shotgun

Adventure games, I love them.

How big part of SV is monster slaying and fucking around in underground? Optimally, I'd like to avoid those (almost) entirely. Is that even possible?

It's fun and cute and has great music and has a charmingly upbeat cyberpunk narrative

what does /indie/ think about the dreamcast/ouya kickstarted game Elysian Shadows?

youtube.com/watch?v=ZlikSWgQ3rY
youtube.com/watch?v=q3JuZvrNMKk

it's pretty segregated. I think technically you can avoid it entirely by buying ore from a dude in town? But there's some stuff locked in the desert dungeon, and it's the only reliable source for a lot of museum artifacts. You can definitely play a lot of sdv without going mining, but I dunno if I'd say you can complete it.

>tfw indie games struggle to survive as the indie scene dies and A and AA studios rise

youtube.com/watch?v=cWXwbonGH3Q
Has Chucklefish released any kusoge after Stardew Valley? I think for them things are looking up for good.

I thought kusoge meant bad game?

all ge are kusoge
especially the ones you like

Is there any noticeable difference between the bullet calibers found in UnderRail? Do some of them deal more damage than the others or it's just about the specialized ammo you can craft for each of them.
>Using 12.6mm bullets for my sniper rifle because i have a lot of them.
>Managed to craft a Spearhead while in Deep Caverns.
>7.62mm only.
>No way to use nor sell all the other ammo.
I feel like i kept praying to the wrong god all this time.

Sounds much better than I expected. I'm totally okay with going underground every once in a while, I just don't want play another game that's revolve around this. Even if it also has tons of great features that'd balance the experience. Thanks for the info!

There are a couple good tracks.

There are a lot of really grating tracks...

Big painful joke.

I kinda wish the indie scene dies, that is to say, the shovelware everyone's-a-indie-dev thing.

Passionate indies are alright, don't come to school tomorrow.

>Stardew Valley music

I have always wondered if I could succesfully create a "point and click adventure game" general but I think that would die faster than a fotm gen

This is now /pcag/.
Tell me about your favorite point and click adventures.

Huh I just realized I've played like 7 P&C games and I've never beat any of them.

1) Play normally for a bit
2) Fuck I can't figure out anything and I've been stuck for 1+ hour, time for spoilers!
3) Huh I can't find wtf this guide is talking about...
4) Put the game down for a bit and forget to come back

Every time

King Quest 6 will always be my favorite.

Still I think I played more lucasarts games than sierra ones. I really loved Sam & Max, Full Throttle and the Dig, used to talk about them with my friends back in school.

I feel I have no patience for P&C games anymore. I remember I would spend hours stuck in KQ6 and I wouldn't give a fuck when I was a kid, but nowadays my time is so precious I feel I can't waste it like that ;_;

I can't remember most of the PACs I've played in my life, even though I like the genre a lot.

If The Walking Dead season 1 counts, then that I guess. Other than that Dropsy is really good, and I recall liking Gemini Rue alright. There's also the typical choice of Beneath a Steel Sky.

Moe can also be indie.

youtube.com/watch?v=y3GSuWx2nPM

Bigger bullets deal more damage and cost more AP to shoot.

For future reference, do the benefits of the psi beetle carapace in a vest outweigh the cons of an armor penalty? I know it reduces the AP costs of psi skills, but doesn't armor penalty negate how much AP you get in the first place?

FUCK THIS GAME AND IT'S RNG BULLSHIT

youtube.com/watch?v=x-HWjIzoTNo

Pretty much. I'll try again with Party Hard some other time.

Why not post about games you love instead?

Simon the Sorccerer 1&2 was my first after Myst and I played that so much I knew the walkthrough by heart.
Current favourite point&click adventure would be Primordia but there are lots and tons of awesome point&clicks released in the new era.

>I feel I have no patience for P&C games anymore.
Play modern ones. They greatly improved on the no sense puzzles and have way better flow of everything and even inbuild hint systems.

I think saying we were dying made a couple of the others decide to post more often, the bastards
I think I'll just stay here, since I'm one of the guys who's usually on Don't Die Duty

Man I keep losing track where the MC is in this video.

For the first minute or so I couldn't even tell WTF was going on...

Modern adventure games are from the devil
I played Fran Bow and it made me lust for mentally unstable cunnies

The art is really not sexual though.

Also: bugging me how nonchalant people are just a little while after seeing a murder...

i played fran bow and it gave me feels
mostly probably because mr midnight looks like one of my cats, down to the eye color
and the ending was really disappointing and felt like there was a whole extra chapter that was planned and then just scrapped in favor of pulling a shitty "none of the cryptic bullshit's going to be explained it's all """interpretive""" :^)))))" at the last moment

lmao reminds me of being a traitor in Space Station 13

certain things seem like they could be fleshed out a bit better though

>"none of the cryptic bullshit's going to be explained it's all
It got explained throughout the game though? You read the book, right? The ending was just way too happily living ever after.

been a while since i played it, but as far as i recall the book just introduced even more cryptic shit that never becomes relevant

The optional to read book lays down all the lore of the world and how most of it works. There are some pages ripped out but you clearly get the picture of the realities. There are 9 realities and you visit/see 1-5 iirc. The pills make Fran not see a different reality but an overlap of several realities.

Yeah the game is a bit hard to see at times. That combined with the layouts of certain levels and the bullshit RNG makes Party Hard kind of tricky. I've only beaten it once and that was when it first came out. There's been tons of updates since then and now there's a sequel and a spinoff in the works.

The AI is not the strong suit of Party Hard. If anything it's kind of retarded at times, which sometimes helps.

They did add more content via two DLC packs and there is the Steam Workshop, but now they're working on Party Hard 2 and Party Hard Tycoon. That second one is where you set up the parties and make sure they're a success and that the Party Hard Killer doesn't kill your clientele.

Glad to see you guys responding. Kind of motivates me to try the Rooftop party a third time and see if I can manage it this time around. Thanks for that, I appreciate it.

>that conversation
oh boy

Yeah good stuff.

So what was all that about gender swapped sovel knight characters in the last thread?

>lady bug
>is clearly a caterpillar

>mentally unstable cunnies

interdasting
Maybe I outta give this game a try sometime. It's one of those points and clicks, right?

Yes it is also a kickstarter game.
The puzzles are on the easy side of the genre imo.

Oh baby I want to nibble on her potions.

HELP

This art style offends me.

It really just looks and sounds famicon without the flicker and lag.

It also has goddamn mixed pixel sizes (line widths). It's one of the worse offenses seriously-trying indie devs tend to do.

Machinarium was cool

Thanks. Didn't really pay much attention to the AP cost; i thought it was only about the weapon.

Bigger calibers deal more damage but cost more AP.

Generally it's all about finding the sweet spot where the AP cost is optimal.

Spearheads are definetly the best overall sniper rifles, due to the fact that with rapid reloader mod they only cost 24 AP to shoot (meaning you get two shots per turn, plus you can take some drugs/hypo with 2 AP if you wear the doctors pouch) while still dealing more than enough crit damage to one shot everything save for the final boss.

Hmm. GOG is having its Spring Sale, and Underrail is not part of it. There was an RPG sale just a week ago that had basically everything, from AoD to Shadowrun to Spiderweb and IE games and Witchers, but that one didn't have Underrail either. Interesting.

Game is a steal as is though. Used to $8 before (and shortly after if I remember correctly) release.

For sure, but it hasn't been on sale since the end of December on the two big platforms, although it was on sale for a few day on Humble Bundle during mid-January. Still, the game has been out for more than a year, and the lowest discount it ever had yet is 55%, and it's completely skipping several big sales, and some other ones it should logically be part of.

This looks strangely healthy, almost too much.

bump

man I love these Energy boosts

But that game ripped off OFF!

What the
Keep on rocking, baby.

How's River City Ransom Underground?

For you

twitter.com/SyaxAttack/status/838808991903932416
Give input which game you want to see remade for steam.

can i get a source on this?

I can't really tell from skimming, and I'm sure as heck not going to play them...

But I legitimately really enjoyed Destroy all Monster Girls and almost 100%ed it (I couldn't be assed to do the time attack mode, even though it was all I had to do left).

Yeah I did the same for Khimera and his other games look dated.

Three clicks to find what you're even talking about isn't very nice, user.

Here's the list, if anyone else wants to humor him.
suitgames.com/gamelist/

>try challenge mode twice before
>make it to second floor and give up because low health
>finally man up and decide to do it
>this happens
I'm going to cry

it's okay, user. It happened to me as well.
>yfw HIGH STRESS

Just keep grinding it. Challenge mod is rough. Also try bullet, he's probably better for it than pilot is. That's who I finished it with.
Challenge mode still needs a lot of rebalancing imo, currently, luck is a bit too much of a factor with how it's set up, especially on bosses.

I laughed at this meta joke and decided to share it.

I bought La Mulana a while ago and just got to playing it now.

This is pretty great, it can be frustrating sometimes but that's usually due to me being a shitter.

>Also try bullet, he's probably better for it than pilot is
Really? I can't do anything with the bullet, it took me more to get his past than the robot's. Pilot gives me the most consistent results. But if you say so I could try.

It wasn't stress, I went in with 3 hearts and took periodical damage, and ran out of blanks by the end. I didn't expect all attacks to be so much faster, I found don't blink to be the most infuriating modifier desu.

It might be a little bit difficult to get use to at first, maybe practice with him on some normal runs first if you're having trouble. Blasphemy is an amazing weapon though, the only caveat is that you have to maintain full hp until you can find something better. His passive that makes him immune to contact damage is also fucking amazing for it, because you basically will give 0 fucks about blobulin rancher. Being able to chop up debris with blasphemy safely while pot shots is active is also pretty handy.
> I found don't blink to be the most infuriating modifier
Really? I usually love it when that one shows up because you can stun enemies and kill them incredibly easily. Shockwave and Zone Control can be far worse imo.
>Get shockwave in a large open room with no cover
>HAHA, HAVE FUN BEING FORCED TO DODGE ROLL WHILE ENEMIES ARE SHOOTING AT YOU, THAT ALWAYS GOES WELL.
>mfw zone control AND shock wave with no cover in a room filled with tiny platforms and pits in oubliette

I didn't think of blasphemy that way, that does sound useful. Thanks for the tip

>Shockwave and Zone Control can be far worse imo.
Zone control was easy to deal with 90% of the time, only once did it become an issue when I had poison pursuit. Shockwave cost me a run with ammoconda, it's definetely annoying, but don't blink fucked me over like 10 times

>Get into a big room
>Don't blink
>Use first slow seconds to survey the room
>There's enemies on both sides of the room
>Move lower to try to get both of them
>A grenade throws itself at me from the left
>Flicker the mouse out of surprise
>Everyone else gangs up on me
I lose 1-2 full hearts almost every time.

last night of autumn

>Enemies on both sides of the room
Try backing up a little bit / moving into a corner and luring some. Remember that the light is a cone, so it widens the farther out it goes which is useful for catching most of / all of the enemies in the room with it. Big rooms in general are a lot more threatening in challenge mode because typically the condition can distract you from shit all the way out of view that will shoot from off screen, turning it into a test of reaction and map awareness.

TIME TO SMASH ROCKS ALL WINTER
And get your farm fucked up by a storm.

Weapon shops in RPGs are in general a weird concept when you think about them. Their inventory usually sucks unless you're the most obscure and isolated village (usually right next door to the evil part of the map), and who the hell knows how they stay in business when nobody else buys them and yet they have infinite inventory.

The mst absurde situation of this type of thing was in Phantasy Star 1. You had to crawl through a dungeon with multiple floors, deadends and traps just to find a bakery shop at the end that sells you a cake.
Like how does that baker have any business?

Bitch, I'm on to you.

It's a super old in joke. Basically someone mentioned how Off is inspired by manichaeism but someone else misunderstood them and thought they meant Machinarium was inspired by off.

Here, have a bump, courtesy of the also-dying /lite/.

>mfw multi-thread bumping

youtube.com/watch?v=QSaA8PnPM44

Night of the Rabbit

I still have the card game music stuck in my head together with the charming british "Opponent asks for a card!"
youtube.com/watch?v=nDkJAEivhK4&index=20

I always see bundles with Daedalic games, but I always hesitate to buy any of them. Should I start with the less known games or just go for Deponia series?

Depends if you want comedy or more mysterious and darker themes.