/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Lazy cunts edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Beta version available):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/qjmq9T3c
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tileset_repository
strawpoll.me/12475256
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for UPDATE WHENN

second for senshi best husbando

I wish to wrap myself in his freshly washed and dried fluffy beard.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Soldier on, soldier!

I am using the legacy one, but it doesn't want to show up for new thread posting, it only works here in the reply box.

>truth
Senshi should be first always.

Such a great dwarf.

>captcha: SENS STREET
So close, captcha, try again.

Hmmm, using this script in play kinda makes you feel like Azazel from Fallen.

pastebin.com/qjmq9T3c

>ti~i~iime
>is on my side
>yes it is
>hey there Hobbes
>havin' fun yet?

Anyone play the newest version of Masterwork? I always crash when I try to generate a new world.

>Anyone play the newest version of Masterwork?
no

>I always crash when I try to generate a new world.
ok

Masterwork is bloaty and fucked kinda. You're gonna crash a lot no matter what you do. Just turn off features until its working again.

>Bloat
I found it funny how they made it way to easy to get everything everywhere, want flux stone? Just taking fucking crabs that lay them!
Way too fucked up.

You say that as if the game is hard at all as it is. What you described sounds fine to me, honestly. Who the hell wants to skip over a cool embark because you'll be gimped out of steel?

There are any number of ways to do that without even approaching the general vicinity of masterwork and all the crap it comes with.

No one forces you to embark where there's flux. Iron works just fine on its own.

Yeah, like installing the individual mod that does that. Masterwork is shit because it slaps a truckload of mishmashing mods together while hogging all the glory, basically. Not because the mods themselves suck or make the game worse.

>mastershit

>Why yes, m'lady, I do play Mastershit

who art thou quoting?

Buckethead bax, probably

Båx*

Jesus fuck why such hate for MW? I just asked if anyone played it because I was having trouble.

>mastershit

word from the wise: don't

>mfw I'm the average Mastershit user

Here's the tileset I mentioned several threads ago. As promised, it was not worth waiting for. It's simply curses_640x300 adjusted to make it square with no other changes at all. I'm not sure if it's just that I'm not used to a square tileset or if the blank space is throwing me off or what, but it just looks kind of weird to me, which is disappointing. Oh well.

Because none of us have a clue what is wrong in such a big grab bag of clusterfucks as that one, and have no interest in learning enough about it to be able to diagnose a problem or suggest a solution besides "play something besides masterwork" really.

There are people who think masterwork //is// dwarf fortress, and there are people who think meph did shit besides go around asking modders if he can use their shit.

Ok then, was just curious.
Oh that actually makes a lot of since. I was just looking for a new DF experience, I wouldn't mind trying some crafting mods for adventure mod or something. Any suggestions? Or is Vanilla the best route?

>Any suggestions?
Just go through the post listing and linking the mods on the bayforum and grab what gets your attention.

For adventuring mods that are kept up to date and should be fun, adventurecraft is kinda carrying the torch from wanderer's friend and similar such mods that add more crafting/weapon/tool/etc reactions for adventurers. Plus it doesn't add in a shit ton of random crap so it's easy to diagnose!

>Any suggestions?

Adventurecraft and All Races Playable are good.

there are indeed many versions of square curses with different levels of modification, you can find them here
I use this one myself
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tileset_repository

Dont listen to these kids. Half of them only browse dfg in order to view dankmemes without actually playing DF.

Masterwork is a bold mod and with that comes a lot of bugs but thats not why people hate it. They literally hate it because Meph (the masterwork dev) started a patreon and uses the money to travel the world experiencing things that they never will.

Some say this violates some ethical code and that the money should go directly into the mod but the way I see it he has been doing the work and continues to do so so where the money goes is irrelevant.

In summary: Fuck off elves.

Sweet I'll try out Adventurecraft and All Races Playable. I have DFhack, LAA, Dwarftherapist, and soundsense, did I miss anything? Just out of curiousity does anyone play with soundsense? I kind of like having interactions make sound but its quality it can be a bit lacking.

It sounds like a pretty typical mod argument to me then. Assuming you've played it, have you tried out Hermit mode in 1.23 yet?

>nobody could ever object to anyone else's actions except out of envy
God, I hate this way of thinking.

The reason people object to Meph's money shenanigans is because he's getting paid for something that is about 99.9% other people's work.

I'd give you a 5/10, except that I'm afraid you're serious.

I haven't. I only use masterwork on occasion when I feel like exploring other playable races and new workshops/furnaces etc

>Bold
>Meph
>Patreon
It's just bloat, none of the features it adds works well. Sure the mods by themselves might be balanced but it's at most a 3/10 for a mod.

>Pic related
Any good mod with drow?

pretty decent b8

bound to piss some autist off

I'll give it a 7/10

>Nexus shouldnt collect advertising revenue because they didnt do 99.9% of the work

K

Just dupe one of the actual civilised entities (like the gobbos or the humans), change the name and change the creature to drows.

For the drow creature, just make a creature that copies all tokens from elves, but then changes the colours used for the skin and hair.

I'll bite.

Nexus actually hosts the content, which is more than can be said about Meph. He just leeches off the repository (which Toady pays for himself nowadays, IIRC).

Meph is actually so low that he takes donations for files that other people host for free for him.

That picture is funnier than it should be.

Also don't respond to the masterb̶a̶i̶t̶workfag, I do agree that it is shitty for him to make an income off of it, because he presents it like he's doing shit, and it's money that could go towards the toad.

Mostly I just don't like having questions or requests for help in /dfg/ which I can't even offer the slightest assistance with beyond a standoffish "do something else" response, but I'm not about to delve into that shitpile to figure out which part of whatever pre-digested mod might be responsible for whichever problem.

Is this what were doing tonight? Arguing the nuances of a mod launcher?

All im saying is the guy loved the game, did something to try to help other players, and found a way to make money doing so. I dont understand why he's being vilified.

If anything you should be mad at the people donating.

Nexus rents server space...They dont actually host anything

I'd let Libash spelunk in my cave any day~

I'm sorry. I'm just so tired of many of the MW users.

They always assume that the features in MW are actually vanilla users.

For example, (special raw-defined variants, I assume) werebeasts and demons have civs in MW, so many players who are used to them assume that that's the way those work in vanilla, as well.

One time a few weeks ago, someone mentioned that they had found a werebeast in human form in a lair (this behaviour among werebeasts is well known). Then some fucking MW user came in and said that it can't be a werebeast, because they only form civs, and don't live in lairs.

I know I'm rambling. I'm just so tired of people spreading misinfo because of this stupid """official""" modpack. It's just a matter of time before MW-fags tart rewriting the main wiki.

>They always assume that the features in MW are actually vanilla features.
fixed

Also, the post that inspired these sketches

Nicely done, I couldn't remember why that seemed familiar off the top of my head.

Yeah, the "well, I'm pretty sure the only people who do x are succubi, and werebeasts never do y" in response to shit like glowing eyes or lairs is pretty fucking annoying.

Oh hey that's me. Never thought my adventures would get arted. Thanks dude.

I'd been meaning to do them for months, but I just kept getting distracted by stuff.

Anyway, if you got anymore idea or something, or more antics the rhino dude got up to post them, it was a fun draw.

Woah there partner, the rhino is not for fug.

He is for wrasslin' moles!

Forgoing most defenses and just making the first layer of my fort a bunch of barracks+squads, the idea is that instead of bothering with long ass sieges and the attackers just walk straight into 40+ military dwarfs and get instantly rekt. Good idea or bad idea?

No problem. And I did learn a few other things during my adventures.

>You can recruit underground tribe people to follow you if they aren't hostile, and sleeping in their camp will protect you from most common dangers.

>Climbing skill is essential, of course. Especially for pits that extend from one layer to another.

>As of the current update, cavern monsters like blind cave ogres and trolls won't attack you unless you attack them. I think its a bug though

>Remember to bring an axe with you before you go down into the cave, as you can't find those small rocks you need to make one.

>If you have an axe, you can construct an underground log cabin.

>You can make a lot of money collecting undeground vermin such as purring maggots, as you can sell them to vendors in adventure mode, if they're in a cage.

>well, I'm pretty sure the only people who do x are succubi

>tfw play with succubus mod but don't use masterwork.

Feels good to be superior.

saved, I'll add them to the rest of the adventures of Libash, although it might take a while maybe a few months

>not using twbt

Its totally fine. I didn't even request any art in the first place so its not like you have an obligation or a schedule or whatever. Just do what you wanna do.

ok not gonna lie, I'm a vanilla masterrace fag who cannot stand tilesets and stuff, but that is super fucking pretty

Oh god muh dick. How do you get the z levels to all be visible like that? Also what graphics set?

twbt

Can one install/uninstall twbt without messing things up?

its a dfhack plugin, "Text will be Text" or tbwt, which has a subplugin "multilevel" which renders multiple z levels

tileset is spacefox

That's spacefox.

You can enable/disable twbt with a change of df/data/init/init.txt lines.

Cavern cabins are super cozy, make a world with the magma sea layer on but hell layer off and go find a volcano, it'll be open to the sea and you can build homes inside them.

Yo newfag here does Dwarf Fortress has a rimworld tileset?

You can make one if you want.

bampin' with an old pic

wouldn't it be cool to make rimworld tileset for df and a ascii df mod rimworld?

You can make them if you want.

nice work, though strangely homoerotic

I guess it is yeah, weird.

It's that last panel, isn't it.

>implying there is anything homoerotic about this fine lizard lass

first and last I'd say, but I think it might be inherent in the rhino's design

Goddamnit.

Pls no sex the animal people

>A goblin waves a white flag covered in blood at your gate

>The gate keeper is confused and can not properly make a good judgment on the case

What does it mean?

comfy drawing

pls no more furry

in their tongue he is Måmgoznóton, Dragonborn!
MAR-TIAL-TRANCE

Sorry friendo, can't help it if the guy who posted the cavern tips played a rhino man.

cheers guys, I guess I'll come back and take requests once I finish the libash cavern survival thing

what kind of performance gains are you getting with overclocking in DF?

My CPU can't overclock

Let's settle this once and for all

strawpoll.me/12475256

Ahah, you put to words what was on the back of my mind.

Putting that survey here will skew your results.

I posted it on /rwg/ too though

>Implying it was not meant to be rigged

Its just like CNN running a poll on Trump

he put it in the rimworld thread too
it's still ridiculous since
1. it's just a "which game has more players on Veeky Forums right now" vote
2 it's too easy to vote multiple times

all in all I think this is just a strangely innovative bait that's supposed to make us shitstorm about rimfags again

Dwarf fortress is more fun than rimworld in its current state. Rimworld has alot of potential but it still isn't as good as dorfs atm. If Tynan were to start putting a little more depth behind pawns in Rimworld and make them feel less like mindless bots then I would probably have voted rimworld. Rimworld with mods definitely beats Dwarf fortress without mods though.

>Rimworld with mods definitely beats Dwarf fortress without mods though.
I disagree

You just haven't been using the right mods.

Suck my cock dude.

Not him, but I also disagree. The most I can get out of mods is making the game feel more like DF, which just makes me want to play DF.

NOW LISTEN UP YOU COCKSUCKING FAGGOT.

I WONT SUCK YOUR COCK I AM A FUCKING MAN AND I AM NOT GAY. Fucking EVERY DAY the same shit. ''SUCK MY COCK DUDE'' I have a wife you piece of shit I AM AS STRAIGHT AS SPAGHETTI YOU HOMO SHITS. I go out with my friend to go bowling like a normal person I go with him to gaybars like a normal person and I KISS HIM GOODBYE LIKE A NORMAL PERSON. I AM JUST A STRAIGHT GUY I DO NOT SUCK DICKS YOU HEAR THAT ?! I also hang out with my friend LIKE A STRAIGHT PERSON. I LOVE HIM LIKE A STRAIGHT PERSON AND I FUCK HIM LIKE A STRAIGHT PERSON. MY WIFE ALSO FUCK ME IN THE ASS SOMETIMES LIKE THE STRAIGHT CHRISTIAN FAMILY WE ARE. Fucking FAGGOTS I WILL NOT SUCK YOUR DICK YOU PIECE OF SHIT I AM STRAIGHT I AM NOT GAY.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.