Is it feasible to drive across the country using state highways instead of interstates...

Is it feasible to drive across the country using state highways instead of interstates? Seems like it'd be a fun if not slightly slower cross-country method. I'm driving from PA to IL in a few weeks and I don't really want to push my miats past 65 MPH for extended periods of time so I won't be going all that fast anyway.

If you're road tripping you should always be taking the back roads unless you're on a schedule. Route 66 and whatnot.

I think that's the best way to travel for sight seeing

Interstates are good for getting there fast just don't expect scenery and the only place is exits with gas stations and truckstops

how do you find solid backroads without scouring a map for 15 hours?

I'm heading home for the summer, but I've got more than enough time so I don't mind some sight seeing. Gonna have to stop overnight anyway since I can't really drive that much in one day.
Google maps gave a pretty comfy looking route when I checked no highways or toll roads. For local cruising, I've had pretty good results just finding some state highways that loop around.

So do you guys stop and walk around when passing through towns on road trips?

I'll stop if something looks neat. Ask the locals at a gas station for a good diner, etc.

Is that the clip where a zombie pops up out of nowhere?

I'm gonna do this, just drive the coast from Vancouver to California, alot slower but you have an awesome view of the Pacific ocean and can probably pitch a tent somewhere.

>PA
>IL
>cross country
midwestern flyovers literally believe this

>he doesn't like scouring maps for 15 hours

wtf pham that's like half the fun

I realize it's not that far, but it's the most I've done on my own so far. Last big trip was IL to CO with one other person

Use a sextant and follow the stars.

>I don't really want to push my miats past 65 MPH
I'm German and I think I need an ambulance, I'm literally laughing myself to death over here.

>actually wanting to listen to the 4-5000 RPM drone for 8-13 consecutive hours so you can arrive a little faster
There's only so much you can turn up the volume on the stereo

>shitbox was incapable of going over 55 without overheating
>drive 400mi at 55 on the interstate without a hicup

>make the same trip next year
>get lost and end up on a backroad for some 130mi
>end up at the same destination within 10 mins of eta

its amazing what you can do when you're not a cuck

>cruising speed in my 90bhp German shitbox: 110mph
>barely have to speak up because Eurospec cars have noise deadening
Amerislows and their national speed limit, I laugh.

>weighing down an already sluggish shitbox with sound deadening when the roof unlatches in several seconds and negates the whole point of it
>weighing down aforementioned shitbox with passengers to speak to

>don't really want to push my miats past 65 MPH for extended periods of time

what? I had an Mx-3 that I'd have between 80 and 90 for hours at a time on long trips.

>can't stand noise
>rather drive slow to keep the noise down than make the car heavier
>go on roadtrips alone because weight reduction
This is the current state of Veeky Forums.

I did a constant 85-90 in my 70hp 1.3 Fiesta everytime I was on the Autobahn. Other than the fact that it took ages to get there, there was litearlly nothing wrong with that. Unless your Miata is in a condition that it's literally a death trap, I REALLY don't see the issue.

>Seems like it'd be a fun if not slightly slower cross-country method.

You will encounter more actual life instead of the corporate gas station or corporate stores lining the major freeways.