Electric cars

are they the future?

Electric bike is superior to electric car

nu-males will eventually grow up and realize they suck.

how many of those companies shipped vehicles? two? fisker and tesla have actual auto plants and tesla is the only one left shipping cars

Only if biofuels never take off, which is unlikely as large energy companies are starting to get in the game.

Karma will ship vehicles when their management straightens out
Faraday is fucked

Lucid is doing VC funding rounds but should be good

The rest of the companies will die expect for lesee after it gobbles up Faraday

>are they the future?
Is Oil not Finite? then i guess they are the future eventually by default.

Takes more rare elements to make an electric car than a regular car.

With electric cars, you don't have the ability to just get up and go somewhere a thousand miles away without stopping overnight every 300 miles to recharge the car.

Governments will find a way to make it the only option. In fact, Germany has already banned gas powered cars by 2030.

My opinion:
Tesla will survive and do well, but the normal automotive companies will crush the rest.

And Tesla doesn't even make a profit

>NIKOLA

WOW!!!!

HOW IMAGINATIVE!!!

Fuck no, they're the past. Accept it.

Hydrogen is the real future.

>LeSEE
>Lego

>Governments will find a way to make it the only option

Ironically this is the only reason Elon Musk has had ANY semblance of success with his projects. Imagine if his cars didn't have the $7,500 tax credit. Hey fuckface, I ride a motorcycle. Where is my tax credit? I take up far less room and pollute significantly less. The entire concept is a meme. This isn't even acknowledging the fact that lithium-ion technology is maxed out and there is barely any room left for improvement. There wont be some technological breakthrough where they get 1000 miles on a charge or have insane recharge times. The current iteration of Tesla is literally as good as it will get. The only compromise they could make is ramp up production on a scale large enough to bring the production cost down to make it more profitable

I thought they made $7m in profit over the last couple years? That's still pathetic earnings considering how many people have invested into the company.

yes but they are and always will be limited by battery technology
although after a certain point somewhat soon they'll be good enough to eclipse ICE for the vast majority of drivers

>Hydrogen cars get roughly the same range as an ICE car and takes the same amount of time to refuel while having water be the emission yet everyone ignores it for battery powered meme cars

Via only sells plug in hybrid conversions of GM vehicles.

Tesla makes a profit on every car sold. Then they plow it all back into expansion.

>hub setup
enjoy your shitty torque and shit top speed per watt.

People are afraid of dying in a hydrogen explosion desu

hydrogen is incredibly inefficient and expensive.

it would be better for the environment and cheaper, to just burn CNG in cars. since CNG is cracked to make hydrogen.

Is this the world's heaviest mtb or the world's worst dirt bike?

I can understand electric commuters but idk what the point of this thing is.

I'm a little bit afraid of getting electrocuted in a crash desu.

They only made profit for a single quarter their entire existence

>Lucid
might actually get somewhere
>Nikola
most likely will fail
>Lesee
chinese vaporware
>Tesla
noprofits
>NIO
chinese vaporware
>VIA
rebadged chevys
>Fisker
>Karma
so the chinese bought fisker, renamed it karma, and fisker recreated fisker again, and the fisker karma is now the karma revero, and fisker is pushing its concept model 3 knockoff

>workhorse

all they have is a frame

>faraday

HAHAHAHAHAHA

That bike does 50mph

No because with battery technology will never be up to par.

No because producing electricity without nuclear waste is either unavailable due to scarcity if renewable sources like water, too slow like solar, or pollutes like coal and methane.

No because of research into alternative fuels.

No because it's easy to make a H2 canister explosive proof. Infrastructure that's a different conversation.

No because electric cars will cater to the wealthy, who will also but a driver for their electric cars. Poor people will imitate and drive electric cars which will then be self driving. So now people will take transit because if your going to commute for an hour why pay X dollars for your own electric move able chair when you can buy the same seat on a train for a x price per year.

Maybe one day but it's a long way off, the technology isn't there yet

I would expect to see a lot more electric vehicles in city and urban environments in the next ten years, but there needs to be much more development in battery technology. There's a good reason why most electric vehicles currently on the market are luxury items - they're impractical for most daily driver applications due to their range and charge time so the only customers who buy them are people who just have to have the bleeding edge of motor technology.

>Germany has already banned gas powered cars by 2030.

Is that real?

a Tesla contains no rare earth elements

How long does it take to fully recharge a Tesla?
Another thing that worries me is that batteries degrade with each recharge.

yeah dude germany preemptively banned 99% of their transportation

No, the law hasn't passed yet.

> Fisker

Yeah , no...

Fisker became Karma and they're relaunching the fisker karma as the karma revero this year

Fisker got butthurt and re-created fisker as a new company and says they will build their cars in 2019

According to the automotive industry yes they are hence the tax benefit of owning electric cars and also the government direction to soon offer scrap incentives for diesels in the city. Why do you think all major euro oems showcased their hybrid/electric platforms at geneva motor show 2017?

For those saying hydrogen is the way forward yes i agree and i think it is too however there have already been debate over hydrogen vs electric and whilst currently electric is easier to harvest and create hydrogen is difficult to create as much with a lower cost as electric with current technology and researchers are working to find a simpler cost effective solution for mass market. Toyotas Mirai is textbook example of automakers doing good work when releasing information on how the fuel cell technology works or something along them lines for other automakers to challenge and create their own hydrogen vehicles.

Besides the latest buzzword in industry is 'mobility solution' the cars of the future may not even be conventional cars but more like a service or more compact for near travel. The future looks interesting to say the least but expect the decline of the ICE over the next 50-100 years akin to the steam engine to modern day ICE.

Probably not, the battery technology just isn't going to happen anytime soon enough to have an impact when bio fuels are better in all but the tailpipe emissions.

It was a guy who didn't know shit.