Generators and other useful resources
pastebin.com/aeg28Ktm
[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
yanfly.moe/
[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List
Collection of old RPGM games
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz0L3Pxrc8tqfnB1dFhTZHZwSV91cW1KMW9wcUM2WHhwSFFFMUVJX0pEYVExMndNLWtXbGs&usp=sharing

The /rpgmg/ podcast:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A

Latest SteelZeroes Demo!
mediafire.com/?7j353lkhfpnnx27

Tomb of Friends demo pep.itch.io/tomb-of-friends-demo

The Long Road demo:
gamejolt.com/games/thelongroad/236740

/rpgmg/ Discord:
discord.gg/pQShn

Other urls found in this thread:

spriters-resource.com/fullview/6074/
time.com/4424589/being-transgender-is-not-a-mental-disorder-study/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Tell me about your setting
Also stop dying

Did you Know?

Before they were a social platform, rpg maker forums provided support. And still do!

Just like our thread?

making progress is hard

It sure is but don't you feel rewarded afterwards?

I'd go to the forums for help if I didn't expect:

(A) Blue text from the staff telling me I can't ask for that.

(B) Tutorials and Resources made by a well-meaning teenagers going on 30 who are less qualified that I am, but continue to be authorities because no one is allowed to tell them otherwise.

(C) Bullshitters who are quick to respond and can write paragraphs and paragraphs on solutions to your problem as you phrased it. But won't open your zip folder to see the goatsee.jpg inside.

well like, I'm at the story planning stage (I'm making the outline first) and I've just got horrible writer's block

What are you struggling with? Not sure how to proceed with a scene?

So I don't sound like a bullshitter: Show us what you got.

Remember. You're anonymous, so any shame or embarrassment you experience when we laugh at you is medicinal and will work as a laxative to push crap and bad ideas out of your system.

Okay, I will be bumping this thread for at least a few hours so it won't die. But that doesn't mean you can slack off, user.

Don't worry user! I'll

Pretty much it's story progression. I'm not very far but as of now I have the tutorial fight, and I'm not sure where to proceed from there.

also >so any shame or embarrassment you experience when we laugh at you is medicinal and will work as a laxative to push crap and bad ideas out of your system.
no I'm pretty sure that that'll just cause me to throw out the game altogether and not want to work on it again. However, helpful criticism without sounding like a dick is good for fostering good ideas.

It's possible that you're dwelling on the details too hard, hence why you're getting stuck on just the "tutorial fight". Try to write down events into summarized pieces consisting of one sentence, then add details when it's all arranged as you want it.

Seriously, you get a lot of space covered with:
>MC is going to the big city.
>Encounters girl.
>Saves her, takes her back to starting village.
>Badguy sending army after girl.
>RPG ensues.

Story idea:

a transgender female gets beat up and then decides to become a man(again). The combat is fighting the mental illnesses to become normal again and moving back into the normality of society. Then the game ends with a new main character and a set up for the sequel.

>a transgender female gets beat up and then decides to become a man(again)
I'm not transgender, but I don't think that's how it works

shitty desu

Somtimes

why?

transwomen don't decide to become male again cause they weren't male in the first place, being trans isn't a mental illness, being trans can mean being normal in society
so aka people would laugh at you fucking up this hard

>transWOMAN
>they weren't male in the first place
>born with a penis
>being trans isn't a mental illness

really makes you think. they are biologically a man though, you can't deny that.

I mean, yes they are biologically born as men, but mentally and developmentally they are female. Transwomen are shown to have similar brains to cis females and same for transmen and cis males.
And no it's not a god-damn mental illness. If you want to classify it as any sort of "illness" (which is still an incorrect term but I can't think of a better one), it's an issue with the brain of a person being in the wrong biological body.

>transwomen don't decide to become male again cause they weren't male in the first place

Biologically speaking, they were male

Rate my sloppy first animations, /rpgmg/

I'm proud of them even though they are literally the first animations I've ever made, ever.

>mentally and developmentally they are female
How can that be though? If the entire physiology of the body is male, producing more testosterone and growing male features for most of their developing years, how do they turn out to be women?

Also how can a brain be in the wrong biological body? From about seven weeks the baby is already growing their sexual organs. I don't think this is an issue of biology here. It's determined way before any social pressure.

Anyway, I think the story could be quite inspirational and at the very least controversial.

the torso should move

How so? Should it bob with the head? Lean side to side?

>making a game saying that transwomen should detransition, their being trans is a mental illness, and saying being trans isn't normal in society
>I think the story could be quite inspirational

up and down

>Inspirational
>Controversial
I'll just say you very likely have no idea what you're talking about.

Even if being transgender was a mental illness (it isn't), one does not simply "get inspired" to fight their own mental illness. And what do you mean by "become normal again"? Are you saying people with issues or people that happen to be different from your ideas of
"normal" aren't normal?

If you're aiming to be controversial unironically, then I hope you get inspired to not be such a closed-minded individual with no idea how people work.

Like thus?

Sure

the way to think about it is that lifting your leg moves the rest of the body up simultaneously. That includes the torso, the head, and the arms

Something else, you animate the lower half of each arm without moving the top. the motion actually comes from the shoulder, so you should be pivoting the whole arm to show that

On the front-facing one you also probably want some foreshortening on the legs: they should get smaller when they're further away. Right now it just looks like they're moving up and down.

Fair - although the arm thing is intentional in that it's supposed to look like she's lazily swinging her hands about, all child-like. But it could still use work, you're not wrong.

Also, by foreshortening do you mean making the foot smaller? Because when I make the legs thinner it looks strange because of how few pixels I'm using (each leg is 3 pixels)

What is up with the general being weird today? The last one was weird too.

So we agree on the biology aspect then?

>one does not simply "get inspired" to fight their own mental illness
Fine, lets say mental disorder(please correct me again CNN) since you're stuck on semantics.
But people get over depression, addiction, anxiety and other phobias. Why is it so completely insane to think that it would be different in this case?

As far as normal is concerned, going along with how biology and nature plays out in men and women. That's why CIS straight men and women are the overwhelming majority of the world. It's not my idea of normal, it's clear by the numbers. So by saying "becoming normal again" I mean going back to what they were born as: a man. .

I think you just don't get that that's not how being trans works though.
Trans people don't ever decide to detransition, and if they do it is horrible for their self-worth and being.
Being trans itself is also not a mental illness. If there is any mental disorder from it, it's gender dysphoria, i.e. hating your body for being the wrong gender. The closest we've gotten to trying to get cis people to understand is saying, it's like if you as a man, suddenly had tits. Sure maybe for 10 minutes you'd be like "oh hell yea I'm gonna feel myself up" but then you'd have to deal with bras, with back pain, with everything else, plus having boobs in the first place. You'd most likely hate it and want to get them removed and feel awful about having them. That's dysphoria for trans people, and we're just trying to fix our bodies so we don't constantly hate them.
We do get inspired to get over dysphoria, but you don't "get over" being trans.

>she's lazily swinging her hands about, all child-like
that's not really how children walk, esp. in animation
Maybe you were going for the more stocky earthbound look?
spriters-resource.com/fullview/6074/

The interesting thing here is that the torso is basically just a 3d cylinder: the arms, legs etc. rotate as the torso "twists" around, so the shoulder/hips move back and forth horizontally so it gives kind of a waddling vibe.

>Also, by foreshortening do you mean making the foot smaller?
Sure. Something else you can do, even if it's not super realistic, is to darken things that are supposed to be further away from the camera, the same way you do with the back leg in the side view. This can suggest the thing is further away without requiring line weight changes.

The smaller leg actually does get darker, although its hard to tell because the gif quality is shitty.

And yeah, I am trying to make it sort of Earthbound-esque. I'll try and crib some stuff from that sheet.

>it's horrible for their self-worth and being
Trans people have a huge problem with depression. They probably have it the worst out of all groups. So wouldn't it be most logical to help them overcome that and find peace with their situation instead of pushing them to find discomfort in trying to be something their not and probably be publicly ostracized for their effort.

Also the breast analogy is not a good one. You wouldn't suddenly get them. Nothing like this is ever just a sudden occurrence. It builds up over time.

How does this look? Sorry if I'm just kind of not getting it.

Where are the games?

Venus is in retrograde and in Aries. Expect people to be loquacious with a gift of oratory.

yes, we have huge problems with depression cause we also have staggering amounts of discrimination, murder, sexual assault, and are seen as a negative part of society by a large amount of people
and helping with their dysphoria is 100000x better than trying to get them to repress. If you want to make a transperson happy, all you have to do is call them the right pronouns and not treat them like shit and they do a lot better.

Also ok imagine growing up you had boobs then.

some demos are listed in OP

You sound determined to stand in your own way. I can't help people who are tangled up in their self-image.

>being trans isn't a mental illness
It is one. Which is why making jokes about it is in poor taste. Still doesn't change the fact that it's a mental illness though, tranny.

I'm not that guy, but here, I'll translate the analogy for you:

Let's say you died and got reincarnated as a Dragon Quest blue slime. Being a blue slime has its own pros and cons, but you know you were a human before, and because of that, you'd rather have a human body.

Now tell me how you would feel if a wizard came along and told you that instead of a human body, you should go back to being a slime because that's the "normal" thing you should be.

I know this because I am dog. And when I get tangled around a post my human laughs at me saying "walk around the other way"
I can't go anywhere else, so I do it. And he tells me "good job' and we go home.

Also it's fun to roll in crap. Sometimes eat it.

time.com/4424589/being-transgender-is-not-a-mental-disorder-study/
someone more qualified and better at speaking their side makes a case for why it's not a mental illness.
have fun

>someone more qualified and better at speaking their side
than you?

Are you saying that you'll toss your entire game out altogether when some people point out flaws about it? What, was your entire game all just bad ideas then?

Sounds like you have nothing but doubt for your own work, so already you're shooting yourself in the foot.

yea, honestly I get really flustered and mind-flooded when I try and speak my side of something and sometimes don't say what I need to or stuff comes out wrong.

Imagine you live in a city born out of gay love between San Francisco and Miami, and liberals took a massive pastel shit over the baby.

This is my setting.

Who is this game even for?

You the dude who posted a screenshot with a weed shop in it a thread ago?

Here's the way I look at it:

-There's always gonna be someone who thinks it is shit and won't be afraid to tell you.
-Criticism is an invaluable look at your work from an outside perspective.
-Unhelpful criticism and mean comments are just par for the course on the internet and especially Veeky Forums, surely you've developed a thick enough skin by browsing this site that it shouldn't really phase you anymore (in theory)?
-Sometimes ways to self-improvement can still be gleaned from impolite criticism. Instead of getting butthurt, being humble about it and asking people what specifically is shit about your work/what needs improving in their eyes has led to otherwise inflammatory people being decently helpful towards me in drawthreads.
-Because there is no place more brutally honest than Veeky Forums, if somebody actually says they like your game they're probably being genuine, so even if five guys say "it's shit" and one guy says "wow, good job, user!" then hey, somebody liked it.
-Even if you made one of the best games in the world there's still going to be harsh detractors. As a gamedev you have to learn how to take it gracefully so you don't become pic related.

All of the other disorders I listed before are agreed upon as not optimal. So people cure, or at the very least minimize them to livable levels, them and go on about their lives. However when it comes to trans, it's like you bow down to them and that's it. I don't get why this is any different? Thinking they are the opposite sex is not(according to you) an illness but thinking that their body is ideal is? I'm telling you, it's not adding up.

I'd rather listen to the hard science and what's between people's legs rather than pretenders. This whole trans thing has led people to expand on the whole super explosion of genders and what people think they are. When people think they are attracted to animals or are some other kind of -kin, things have gotten out of hand.

Still a hypothetical but it's better, I'll give you that.
However in this situation, you were something and then were completely changed. A man is born a man but wants to become a women, which he never was. So he's in search of a wizard that will make him into the women he wants to be AKA take hormones to change his body and his mind. That's probably what messes them up even more mentally. Those hormones are what make the body completely off balanced. They are taking more than a normal woman would have to offset and disrupt their body to get the result they want.

Who is this game even for?
All I said was it's a story idea. If I did make it, it would probably be for those who want another perspective. For those who are actually open minded enough to stomach a fictional story of transformation. Yet it seems the idea has gotten attacked and it's not even real yet. That won't stop me though.

you say it's for those who are open minded but from what you're talking about you seem pretty closed minded

>Ad hominem
Who I am has nothing to do with my game.

Yes.

Still debating if I want drugs to be used for healing items.

It's just really offensive though.

>that slippery slope into bestiality
What the fuck, user?

Although technically yes, gender dysphoria/gender identity disorder is an illness and hormone replacement therapy does have some pretty bad potential side effects.

That being said I have nothing against transgender people and one of my best friends is ftm and a totally functional human being.

You know what else is a neurological disorder? Autism. Which is pretty much mandatory for making completed video games.

>that slippery slope into bestiality
Well I didn't mean to imply that. I actually meant the people who think they are like dogs and put on tails and cat ears or something. Essentially, extreme furries. I didn't mean actual people who engage in animal sex.

The main idea of the the story would be a person finding peace with themselves and rising up from a hard situation and becoming better for it. They just happen to be transgender.

so why not someone rising through dealing with society's distaste for trans people, the amount it costs to transition, the stigma that people think it's a mental disorder, in order to transition?
wow, that's inspiring, and it's not offensive!

How many times do you hear the opposite story though? Also a rich gay man becoming a women isn't all that inspiring.

I mean, there's already countless indie art games about that.

Even if user made something distasteful at least it'd be original.

>rich gay man becoming a woman
that's funny that you think most transpeople are rich when transpeople have high rates of homelessness and poverty

So let me get this straight(kek)
high rates of
>homelessness
>poverty
>depression
>suicide
>body dysphoria
>domestic violence

Why would anyone want any of that? That's like saying, you can be this certain way and have a 90% chance of being unhappy and 5% chance of being okay with it and a 5% chance of being happy if you live long enough and have the money to make it happen. Is it even logical to play with those odds?

You don't want that, that's the thing.

>you don't want that, that's the thing
So then it's better to be the gender that goes with your gender; a man being male and a woman being a female.

I think he meant the ones who go the whole mile and get their dick chopped off and everything. That shit is expensive.

After doing a little reading, the poverty thing does actually seem to be the case to some degree. Although
>facing medical expenses not covered by health insurance
seems to be the real crux of the matter. Of course you're gonna be poor when you're paying out the ass for surgery and medicine you can't really afford with what I can only assume is a Social Studies degree.

because actually transitioning can give you happiness and hope for the future, while staying your birth gender is the nightmare you wake up to every day. Trans people would rather play the odds for the 5% happiness instead of not transitioning and going with 0% happiness.

>0% happiness.
Nothing against trans people at all, but that's a dumb way of looking at it. You can't have everything exactly how you want it in life. Especially when it comes to how you were born.

I look in the mirror every morning and see an ugly fuck staring back at me every time. I'd be way happier if I had a different, attractive body for sure. I lament the fact hat I wasn't born as a hunk with chiseled features. But that doesn't mean I can't have ANY happiness just because I look like neckbeard Danny Devito instead. And THAT'S a nightmare to wake up to every day, I'll tell you what.

I know it's not exactly the same thing as gender dysphoria, but learning to accept the way things are and make the most of it does not have a 0% chance of happiness under any circumstance. Even if it takes counseling or whatnot to achieve.

This general is turning to shit

People obsessed with gender sexuality and dude weed lmaos blabbing about death and quantum physics and depression and more off-topic crap and that weird ass guy who keeps bumping these threads with anime girls sleeping in poses that are obviously meant to arouse, and all those people saying "le progress is hard xD" while posting none of their work have ruined this general

/v/ was right about this board, there is almost no real discussion, yet sadly it's one of the few places where you can discuss about specific engines while being 100% anonymous

From now on I will just chill around their "how's your game going" threads, sayonara gente

Or you could just ignore the shitposting

Eh. The quality of Veeky Forums threads always fluctuates. Especially tiny ones like /rpgmg/ where two or three people can dominate the whole thread when they feel like it. Whenever somebody actually posts demos and shit it usually goes up in quality for a while. Seems to just be a lull in progress right now.

In an attempt to stay on topic... has anyone here played Capella's Promise? Easily the best RPG Maker game I've ever found that uses RTP stuff. Nice and beefy playtime with a great treasure system and good battle balance, and the art that is original looks really good. Really feels like it could have been a commercial RPG on the PSP or something.

and nothing of value was lost

>it's for people who want a different perspective!

Who wants to hear some random cis person's assumptions about what it's like to be trans and how they could find happiness? If you make a story about another culture, you research it and talk to people who have actual experience with it. Otherwise you end up with hot garbage that only really exists to get a rise out of people.

Not even a transexual, but this just holds a lot of truth in general. If you're going to try and make a winded sentiment about any complex subject you should make sure you know your shit

Come on you guys can we stop with the weird politics and stuff. This isn't the place for it.

If an user wants to make a story about that subject, it's only natural to discuss it, don't you think?

I've been feeding the cancer, feels bad.

Lets post progress instead, here's a wip muscle man.

You help him get off roids.

I haven't been actively participating, but I think to an extent we should be able to discuss the themes of our games and commend/criticize the way other anons are handling them.

>it's not real
>fictional story that never happened
>anything could happen in a fictional story

I have to hear about every other liberals hypothetical situation for every other argument, so I think you could stomach just one story.

Besides, the MC will probably just end up getting hated from his former trans community for what they see as being fake and pretending while he tries to be the man he never was.

You're not even talking about his game or how he can develop the plot theme further. The discussion turned entirely into a matter of politics, leaving his game aside.

If a game is about dogs, and the thread about that game falls into a discussion about dogs in general, then it's not a thread about the game.

I get that there's a limit, which is why I said "to an extent", but it would appear that is actually taking this into consideration for their project
It's not my call as to whether this goes on, but I'm just saying there might be merit to this topic if it's improving someone's game.
The alternative is a dead thread that we cast bumpaga on every 15 minutes, and it's not like this noise is preventing others from posting progress or questions.

bro if you could get dubs, you could have totally gotten quints

I have minor butthurt over that fact

You got quints in my eyes, user-san

I guess that's all that really matters

>muh liberals
>muh fiction

At the end of the day, you're still just making excuses to not research your stories probably.

Properly* sorry.

>this whole discussion isn't research
Nice try. So tell me the facts then. Tell me the true story of the transgender success.

"ahhh oh no those liberals are ruining everything"

I'm sorry, I'll tell the big bad liberals to go away so you can have your safe space

>Open RPG Maker.
>this is title screen

wat do?

reel back about an inch in surprise, then proceed to start a new game

I can't claim to be an expert, being a cis gay, but having read up on the whole thing in the last few years:
>majority of suffering comes not from inherent trans+depression going hand in hand, but from a lack of support and acceptance
>this doesn't mean "needing a hug box" but "a desire to be loved and respected as a person despite my differences with cis people"
>much like being gay, lesbian, or even just black, it isn't a choice, and you can't just flip a mental switch and stop being trans
>only real support is other trans people
>treated in the lgbt community as an afterthought at best, and an "invader of our space" at worst
>THIS ALSO APPLIES to many, many feminist groups, radfems and trans-exclusionary feminists especially

Hope some of this helps you in some way, but again I'm not an expert and it would be best to do some reading and maybe even talk to trans people if you want to make a genuine and sincere story.

I'm trans and have to say that is very accurate although I'm lucky to live in a liberal progressive city and have cis allies as support as well

So they need love just like every other person but don't get it so that makes them more likely to have depression.

Also don't you think it's possible for a trans person to perhaps discover that they aren't really trans? Like a straight person finding out they are gay or possibly even the reverse. It seems that the dominant perspective that it only goes one way and can't go the other.

So, uh
How is your progress user?

Yes, there as a trans advocate who found out they were just a gay man. Forget his name, this is from like the 80s.

Had a heart breaking quote too on how he fucked up, being post OP.

Now that would make a great story.

Cool muscleman. He an enemy?