Considering getting a metro as a DD, I forgot all about the car until it popped up on Craigslist...

Considering getting a metro as a DD, I forgot all about the car until it popped up on Craigslist. Is the mpg as good as people say? How reliable is it?

Get a corolla instead.
Its 10x the car and probably the same price as the geo

MPG is amazing.
Parts are cheap.
Repairs are surprisingly easy.
Safety is on par with Chinese cars.
It has 3 cylinders, so no power.

Good shitbox if you're a poorfag.

>How reliable is it?
I'm curious to know this as well.

But I do know that the MPG is the best.

>No CPUs
>No power anything
>Any problems can be fixed with a screwdriver or adjustable wrench
>Parts super cheap

You could keep one going for 30 years for a few hundred bucks

Considering modern cars with i4s are getting close to the 3 cylinder MPGs I'd say go with something like a 1.4t Jetta.

Man, it's really truly depressing how little power the 3 cylinder has. And all of these are quite old now and likely in not so good shape. Probably don't even make stock power.

There's a bottom limit to what I will drive power wise and anything over 10 seconds 0-60 is that limit.

Only downside I see so far is lack of safety, pretty sure I wouldn't survive any major accident in this thing

The problem is that the majority of them end with blown heads because of the rust in radiator

Pros
>It will run to apocalypse and run after everything is eviscerated

Cons
>Good luck surviving anything more than fender bender

Anecdotal and all but guy at work's got one with 300k in it. Owned it since new and only normal wear items replaced. Pretty impressive

My buddy got a 3cyl one with a turbo strapped to it for Lemons racing.

That thing is a fucking rocket. Not even meming. In a car that weighs almost less than 1k pounds and has around 130hp you better hold on.

Thing is a missile on the straights flying passed mustangs and E30s but its an absolute nightmare in the corners.
>back end likes to slide
>top heavy
>non stop wheel spin once you hit boost

Only problem is previous owner poorfag neglect and they have timing belts but they are supposedly easy to do

This guy is asking 1800 with 32k, idk if that's a typo but thats really low mileage. what should I offer

1.5k is fair. If he doesn't budge then find another one. Even if you get a high mile example, they will still run to the moon and back

People are offering 2k for examples with over 300k

I agree with 1500 is a good offer. Definitely be willing to go a couple hundred up though.

Good times with this car.

Friend had one in highschool. We'd lift up the front end and drag it somewhere else or we'd just tip it on its side.

1700lbs + a roll cage and other safety equipment is "almost less than 1k pounds"?

it's not a 32k miles metro.

Many of the metros were offered with a mileage gauge that only has 5 digits, so when you roll over to 100k, it goes back to "0".

Your 32k miles is probably 132 or more likely 232k. Use that and get him down to 1600.

Sure felt pretty light when me and him lifted it up.

Its basically just a chassis motor and body. everything was taken out. Including not needed mounts, metal that isnt needed, glass, lights, and other shit. The car is pretty much gutted. Roll cage added about 100lb, seat added a few more lb and kill switch and other little electric stuff added a few more. We're looking at 1.3-1.5k

As a general rule it isn't a very good idea to buy a car for one singular purpose at the expense of it being well-rounded.

The metro is good at being small and good on gas, but absolutely shitty for anything else. You will have a much better time in a more reasonable car that is almost as good on gas, such as ye Civic or Corolla.

They're excellent but there are other cars that can do it as well. The Honda Civic VX gets 44/51 (city/highway) which is only very slightly less than the Metro while making 92 (40 more than the Metro) horsepower which is better suited for highway driving. Though the Metro would most likely be easier to find stock.

If it's the XFi trim it'll get better MPG than the VX, but if it's the base model it's about even. More capabilities for even better MPG too if you're one of those ecomodder fags. The Metro isn't even in their list of top MPG cars.

>Parts super cheap
Are they still easily available?
Worked at an auto parts store for 2 years,never even priced a part for a metro and we stocked one,just one,of everything if it didn't sell in a few weeks,we returned it to the warehouse.
In the '90's I could easily get a carb rebuild kit for my '85 camaro,now it's not stocked by every place.

Nowadays the internet is king for auto parts. RockAuto.com will usually have anything in stock a car like that will ever need.

Including rebuilt assemblies like transmissions 'n' sheeit.

I had a 1997 3 cylinder 5 speed that mechanically wasn't in good shape... Probably a leaky gasket. Only got 37 mpg and was dangerously slow on my interstate commute I was stupid enough to do it in.
I say a S-Series Saturn is a much better car that you can get for about the same price easily. GF's auto SL2 got 30 in city, but has got 40 highway. I imagine a manual SL1/SC1 would be close enough to Geo mpg while being much more liveable.

>S-Series Saturn
It's amazing how many of these I see on the road every day, considering they stopped making them in 2002.

Wtf I had a '96 3 cylinder 5 speed and it wasn't slow! Stop saying their slow u gay faggots. Do a tune up and these puppies can chirp the tires in 2nd gear :)

Good times.

Mine died from the frame rails rusting out which is a common problem... Google it and be cautious when buying rusty geos.

This..

I own a 91 3/5