Ask a Subaru Engineer anything

Here goes nothing.

I'm a mechanical engineer from Subaru's main office in Cherry Hill. I am currently working on the newer edition Subaru Impreza (NOT THE WRX NOR STi). I am interested in hering your questions and comments on what you would like to see done here at Subaru. I do not have direct control over pretty much anything marketing related, but I do have some tricks up my sleeve :)

> hering
dropped

Why wont you fucks make an I4
I like subarus style and interior.
Hate the flat 4.

How reliable is the FA20 w/ turbo inside the 2017 WRX and its transmission too?

should I get a 2017 or wait for the 2018?

with direct injected engines how do you keep the intake valves clean?
also, will subaru ever make a wagon again thats not a crossover such as they sell in other markets?

does the FA20 use direct inject? I thought it was DOHC

> not realizing the benefits of the Flat engine
How about lower center of gravity, less vibration, and better safety features?

You guys are doing great job, keep it up

How do you feel about hatch backs from a design perspective on Subarus, are they harder to design for or are trunks worse?

i was asking him not you

Prove it.

Those are not mutually exclusive.

I am also asking because I want a new car that uses the FA20

Thats all BS marketing bullshit

flat 4 engine is huge, you can fit an LS1 in the engine bay of my BRZ, mount it further back than is possible with a flat, and still have more room in the bay.

How often should I clean my direct inject on an FA20?

why do u work for a shitty rebranded toyota?

But that's lexus user. And the Toyota cars are rebranded Subarus

And subarus are rebranded chevys

Taking the bait. Toyota owns 16% of Fuji Heavy Industries, but besides the rebadged Daihatsu Kei cars, none of them share anything at all.

We are implementing Direct Injection for newer flat engines in the latest edition Subaru Impreza's.
Not very reliable. I would wait until 2018 for the improved injection.
Since it is a controlled spray, it generally keeps the intake ports clean. You might, however, need to take the engine to a shop to deal with . Regarding your second question: I'm not sure. We are making the transition to crossovers and the lamentable SUV market.

What did he mean by this?

>asking all these meta questions about the car

Protip: engineers at auto companies work in tiny departments that barely communicate with eachother. OP probably designs cup holder detents.

Yeah I got a question for you

Why are modern Subaru's so shit. I mean holy fuck they are terrible compared to older models.

Why is the WRX STI so stagnant when other sporty cars are making huge leaps? Every tiny HP gain is met with a larger weight gain. Do they not care anymore now that the Evo is gone?

Why doesn't Subaru make a halo car like the NSX or GT-R to show what they can do?

>Not very reliable. I would wait until 2018 for the improved injection.
based on what?

Thank you.
They really aren't much of a pain. The only issue comes from reallocating space for the cabin.
My last name is Abubakr (yes I'm a Mudslime). B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from UMichigan Ann Arbor; currently in Subaru R&D for about a month or so.
Fuck you.
I give it every 4 months or so. I'm sure Subaru generally notifies you about this during reg. check up (I would know I own an 04' Impreza myself).
There it is.

when are you guys bringing back the SVX and the baja?

That didn't prove anything, post pic of parking lot

No. Fuck you. Answer my question.

Fuck you, I design other shit besides that.
Lol I don't work in Cabin design.
We are too afraid to make the leap from the EJ using our newer FA. I don't know much besides that; I have never worked outside of the (non-turbo) Impreza.

You dudes aiming for about 160hp with full DI? Should be nice, will match up with the lesser powered I4 stuff with the benefit of AWD which is good.

>newer FA
dude the FA has been in BRZ's since 2012

offer the impreza with the following:
>apple carplay/android auto
>standard and auto trans, not just cvt
>engine from the BRZ
>better interior overall
Basically make a car/hatch to compete better with the civic. Their Si is only 205 hp with their bitchboi 1.5T motor, if you put the 205 hp BRZ motor in an impreza hatch, with updated interior/infotainment system, and at least offered the option for a tranny other than a cvt, you'd have a better car than the civic, especially with the awd
If you went to UMich, you should have studied nuclear engineering tbhfam

Nigga I live in an apartment in Philly.
Asking that question is like asking why animals mate or why humans breathe Oxygen instead of Nitrogen. The bottom line is that the unique engine puts us in a niche so that we can proclaim the greater safety features of the Flat engine.

Thats retarded.
I4 is superior to flat. Period
Dumbass company

The FA is relatively new compared to the older EJ.
Currently we are at around 152, expect a 4 HP boost by 2018.

Do you atleast drive a Subaru?

With all the honesty, "programmed" car wearing is a myth or real thing? I mean engineering cars with just enough durability to last until warranty runs out?

In term of safety why would I buy a Shitbaru over based Swede brick?

A 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI did 0-60 mph in 4.4 seconds and ran the quarter mile in 12.8 seconds. A 2015 STI does 0-60 in 4.8 seconds and runs the quarter mile in 13.2 seconds.

A 2015 STI with an EJ257 makes 310 HP and 290 ft lbs of torque. The old EJ207 made a similar 304 HP but more torque at 311 ft lbs- and was half a liter smaller.

Why aren't your cars getting faster? Why aren't they getting more powerful? How do you excuse a new STI being slower than its ten years older brother?

hi dad

>mcdonalds spends millions marketing the big mac
>jingles and commercials that get people to memorize the components of the burger
>start selling whoppers which directly compete with your flagship product

We are offering Apple Carplay soon. About the tranny; sorry bud, but the CVT is just more efficient for our boys in Indiana.
> better engine in BRZ
silly, silly normie. Everyone knows that the 86's main bargaining chip is that it can get fags like you to beg for higher gearing and more power. And when we do, you flock to the 86 like a Protestant couple on Mass.
> better interior
defer to previous comments.

Also, about the Si. You can't compare that and the 86. One is a FWD shitbox, the other is a RWD shitbox. Totally different dynamic plus consumer market. Nobody buys a RWD nowadays for cheap thrills.
Also: UMich was my transfer school after already working towards mechanical.

>Also, about the Si. You can't compare that and the 86
I wasn't, I was comparing the impreza to the Si, saying if it got the BRZ's engine, and a real gearbox, with improved interior, it would be better than the civic/Si in every way.

I already said previously that I drive an 04' Impreza. If I drive a WRX I'm getting robbed where I live.
The Flat engine generally sinks below and doesn't harm the driver. Swede shitboxes also suck, considering that the T50 doesn't come with that harmonious turbo anymore.
I would like to see the conditions in which both tests took place. Also, understand that Subaru is putting more cancer into it's interiors to appease normies, which leads to a weight increase. Power-to-weight ratio my guy.

Too bulky/ out of place. The reason we separated the performance oriented STI & WRX from the Impreza was to make the normie market easier for the Impreza to work with.

I have a new engine design for you
gib royalties

>other shit besides that.
So you do design cup holder detents, what other big projects are you on, floormat anchors? First row seat inner track cover?

oh fuk

What will be the gasket-esque failure in the new WRXs?

well the FA20 has been around for a long while and nothing has really come from it

My project generally focuses on "Accommodation and Safety". It is to balance the overall reinforcement of the car to match the needs of the rest of the team; done so as to mitigate safety issues.

>this entire thread

They always come so it doesn't really show a marked change.
> forgetting DI and power increase
okay then.

Hey guys I'm an engineer at ford

I work on the mustang and for the 2018 Mustang we're bringing back the live axle

> mentioning Ford on /o
Go back to school, kid.

>> forgetting DI and power increase
>okay then.
I meant nothing bad like the glass transmission and head gasket meme

rrrrrrrreeeeeeeee answer meeeee

Hi guys I'm an engineer at mazda and I've been poised with the task of engineering a new RX-9 and we're bringing back the 13b. We surplussed some new chinese made steal for the apex seals so we're going to help keep the price low

I'm so sorry, I dead didn't see your post. The idea is a myth; we don't have a rigid facelifting schedule like Mercedes or BMW. That's the reason our main changes to the STi were expectedto come by 2018, but are coming by 20. We can't "program" our cars to fail so precisely.

>STi
for shits sake you work there and even you can't figure out that it's STI? the I had been capitalized since like 2006. which means the logo hasn't been updated in as long as the engine hasn't.

Subaru still uses STi with posters and flags around the office.

gay thread OP, but I'm surprised no one has asked..

Why is the new non-turbo Impreza SO FUCKING UGLY?

I must say I actually liked the design of the new Impreza/Crosstrek (and will buy a manual CT when they depreciate some more), but holy shit you guys shit the bed on the new facelift

Differentiation between the STi and the Impreza. We need to make it "uglier" so that it appeals to cunts like your parents.

Oh look, fartmaker acting all high and mighty as usual

Go back to changing oil, wageslave

Thank you.

>We surplussed some new chinese made steal for the apex seals so we're going to help keep the price low
>chinese made steal
>steal

REAR WHEEL DRIVE CAR THAT COSTS LESS THAN 20K

DO IT I DONT CARE WHAT ITS CALLED OR WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE

Why don't you put the 6 speed manual from the WRX in the Forester XT and give it a little more power? You could fit a unique niche (sporty Turbo AWD manual SUV) like you did with the first gen XTs. Is it a engineering or marketing issue (because honestly I barely see current gen XTs out on the roads, and they're not much better than the other AWD SUVs namely Escape Ecoboost and Cherokee V6)

Not op, but it's because no one wants manual. They don't sell

>but the CVT is just more efficient for our boys in Indiana.
horse shit CVT is garbage!

6sp manual or bust faggot

Never for that POS, slow as fuck, auto only svx hopefully. What a fucking meme car.

OP here. They don't sell well with our flagship normie cars.
Not happening. You can't get a Corolla below 20K you poor cunt.

The only thing wrong with that car was that it was in auto.

>offering car play soon
>I sell subarus in georgia and have sold 4 2017 imprezas this year
>mfw apple car play is standard in the 2017 impreza
>mfw u a fuckin liar

Also, I'm buying a 2017 impreza sport because it's manual and comes with android auto among other reasons. So OP do you want to provide further evidence as to why you're either a dipshit or lying?

I'm sure base imprezas outsell the WRX/STI by like 20:1, why would you go out of your way to make the bread and butter car look like shit?

i literally can't comprehend how that design made it to production, and it looks even worse in person

like someone threw the swoopy side design of the Mazda 3 on some Kia shitbox in photoshop and called it a day

and fuck you for getting rid of frameless windows, I think I'll just keep buying SF5s bc poorfag 2bh

Salesperson here one last time.
>flat engine generally drops below cabin
Are you serious? That's the best safety feature you could come up with? If you knew shit about dick, you'd know that probably close to 90% of cars made today have drop engines. I know as a Subaru employee you MUST have some sort of brand training right? Show us some sort of physical Subaru of America proof you're not completely full of shit.

The impreza has been a dud at my dealership. WRXs sell like hotcakes. Being in the southeast however makes a big different. This retard doesn't even know why Subaru is making more pussified normie cars. Subarus global brand relies heavily on the US market. Even more so in the north and rust belt for their snow offroad capabilities. They know this is a bad and unsustainable business model. So they are branching out and trying to grow and penetrate the sunbelt areas by focusing their marketing and car design not on offroad performance, but on gas mileage, safety, and resale value. This is where you get things like the 2017 impreza with fake carbon fiber, the outback with soft cushy suspension, the subaru ascent which will undoubtedly be a horribly performing pigfat thirdrower, and cars being designed for "empty nesters"

Make the non performance variant FWD to improve fuel consumption

>I'm a mechanical engineer from Subaru's main office in Cherry Hill.
Have you ever come across a juden by the name of Douglas Demuro?

That's precisely what I said, dipshit.
The manual doesn't sell well nationwide. You're a rare breed.
> muh salesperson
fuck off, wageslave
> my dealership
> car dealer
sorry I don't sell cancer Japanese imports for a full-time living. I've only been at Subaru R&D for a month now.
I wish I did

I had an outback made in USA and the ride was nice, interior was nice, but the transmission was shitty and slow.

Made me wnat to barf.

Thoughts?

Manuals are made to be shitty in non-performance models to improve fuel economy. There's a reason you have tall ass gearing.

convert to christianity or get the fuck out desu senpai. Nobody outside the Jews running U mich want you,

> convert to Christianity
> get the fuck out
I think you know the rational choice

Was an auto senpai.

Oh fuck, even worse then. Don't know what to say other then don't buy an Outback or XV without a manual.

well fucking fix it dude jeeez

I don't work on engine/ trannies. I work on safety; and my previous experience was with headlights with Toyota.

I will sleep much better knowing my wife and kids safety is in the hands of a snackbar.

tank u

Subaru isn't offering it soon. It's offering it now is my point. You sound like a tremendous casserole. If youve only worked there for a month why have a thread about yourself telling people to ask you questions you clearly don't know the answer to? Wageslave? Do you not live off of monies given to you by the same corporation as me? My job is essentially a constant forum between my coworkers and my customers about Subaru and where the company and product is going as a whole.

> arguing semantics on Veeky Forums
I see where you're going with this
> false equivalency between engineering major and car dealer
poor, poor you
> I'm in charge of Subaru as a whole!
sure you are, bud

Outbacks aren't offered in manual

umm yes they are. A 2.5i comes with a six speed.

>forum
>being in charge of anything
>you sound like you just graduated and subaru was the first company to hire you
>having this little real world experience

Toyota was the first to hire me lol.

Sounds like a diversity grab at Jew Mich and suburu picked him up as an intern.