I know nothing about cars and want to know everything about cars, general maintenance and the inner workings of the car...

I know nothing about cars and want to know everything about cars, general maintenance and the inner workings of the car. Also anything that anyone knows about cars

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCED11EACAE477F6C
discord.gg/SmUsC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Same

I know everything there is to know. But I will merely watch your learn by yourself- as that's how I entertain myself now.

here's your first lesson

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow

an evening with OP's mother

study the fuck outta your service manual, lurk moar, also look on YouTube (Scotty Kilmer, etc.)

Scotty Kilmer is a fucking lunatic.

Engineering Explained is top tier. Eric the Car Guy is a demigod.

OP, pick a car and watch a bunch of repair videos about that car. Once you have a working knowledge of that car, you can study variations on those mechanisms.

For instance, if you pick a car that has semi-trailing arm rear suspension, you can much more easily understand leaf spring or torsion arm suspension, because you now understand what suspension is supposed to do.

But for starters, learn the basics of a 4-stroke engine. Learn about timing, what is a camshaft, what is a crankshaft, what is a connecting rod, what is a piston ring, what is a tappet valve, and learn how they all interact. Pretty much everything can branch out from there.

Youtube is actually pretty fantastic for learning about cars.

I started with automatic transmissions, desu. torque converters.

was way easier for me to understand cars once I realized the transmission actually powers the wheels, and the engine is just a massive air pump driving the transmission.

That's one way to look at it I guess. I always thought about it like impedance matching because I've played with some radios before.

Torque converters are pretty cool. Transmissions in general are just cool.

Also learn how a clutch works. If you can't learn how it works, at least understand what it does.

It's tricky to explain, but also knowing the difference between torque and power is useful.

>impedance matching
what is this in car terms? synchronizing your workloads between systems so they help facilitate eachother?

cylinder vacuum, turbocharger turbine, flywheel.

Broader terms. Like your engine could be spinning at 7000 revs and could be making a crapload of power, but if your gear ratio is too low, then you don't put any torque down, and don't make any power. The input impedance of the engine and the output impedance of the drivetrain don't match.

It makes sense in my head.

Right, we're on the same page.

That's the synchronization I was talking about. Probably the most important part of the car, since both of us have different ways of visualizing it pulled from other technology.

It happens in nature too with how a tornado sustains its own vortex.

Physics is fuckin legit man.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCED11EACAE477F6C
More or less everything you do or will want to know about automobilism

Also when studying the engine. It's important to note which compromise was made in its design.

cylinder compression ignition (diesel) + fuel injection - this makes an explosion spread from where fuel was injected, as it ignites immediately when entering the combustion chamber.

spark ignition + air/fuel mix - this makes the explosion spread from the spark when it's timed to go off.

In a perfect world, the cylinders will compress the air and ignite a air/fuel mixture- meaning the explosion wouldn't grow from any one point, it would ignite everywhere in the combustion chamber at once. But this only works in small model diesel engines. Because at large scales, the engine would heat up too aggressively and mess up the timing, as they exceed the temperature the fuel ignites at before any compression happens.

There's so much room to improve the design of an engine. Another example I have is that we haven't even seen the limit of what an engine can do. G foces will make engines shake too hard, and the pistons will simply break. That's our limit right now.

Reddit pls leave.

sweet. i have something to do tomorrow.

looking forward to the bit on frames.

The engine is powered by a mixture of gas, air, and an electrical spark. These create a combustion in the engine that pushes the pistons down in sequence, creating a rotary motion in the shaft it's attached to- called the crankshaft.
[spoiler] diesel engines don't have spark plugs and need to rely on heat to run [/spoiler]
This rotational motion is transferred into the transmission, which spins freely in neutral, but takes different speeds depending on the gear in which the transmission engages.

This gear is then led into the driveshaft, which is connected to the wheels. The rotary motion is always present when in gear and the engine is spinning (which is why you car rolls forward if you don't apply the brake), when you add gas into the engine and it spins faster, the transmission gains speed, which give the speed to the wheels, propelling you forward.

The brakes are powered by hydraulics, and use pads to clamp the wheels down and keep them from spinning.

There's a lot more to learn, but this basic idea should give you enough of a platform to learn the more mechanical aspects of automobiles.

join Veeky Forums discord and ask mrcummy (tbrick47)
discord.gg/SmUsC

don't bother
find a car you like
then get to know it well

and remember fast = boring