/hg/ - Halo General

I Want To Believe edition

>Halo Wars 2 is now available in stores
- A new campaign showcasing the fate of the Spirit of Fire crew following the events of the first game
- Competitive multiplayer with new units, leaders, and abilities
- A brand new "Blitz" multiplayer card game mode
- Features the "Play Anywhere" program, syncing game progress and stats between Xbox One and Windows 10
- 60 achievements for 1000 gamerscore

>Important Halo Links, Notes etc. (WIP)
pastebin.com/DpwtNzmu

>Latest Halo Community Update
halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/patch-party

>Spartan Company
halowaypoint.com/en-us/spartan-companies/halo general

>Xbox One clips and screenshots
xboxdvr.com/

>PC Section
coming soon™

previous thread

I feel you user. We all do.
It's pretty silly for them to make anniversary games for the first 2 but not the most popular one.

I want it. So bad.

So. Next month at some time I will be playing Halo from CE down to 5. I'll do solo or co-op. And over awhile (like maybe a mission a day. Or such. I'm not rushing through)

So. If anyone wants to play do me a favor

>Leave me a gamertag.
>Tell which games you're open to

I'll get a list. And when I'm about to play I'll invite. Remember some games I'll only get one person. Some 3.

And I'll probably do heroic. It's always the better option.

Official Thread Armour

Reminder to play as Vale and Tanaka

I'm genuinely sad about no H3A, i really wanted to storm the remastered beach on the remastered ark with my remastered ODST pals.
>inb4 halo3babbies
I don't give a fuck, CE was my first Halo but 3 will always be my favorite.

Sorry bro, I wasn't racing.
This is actually the second time I've ever tried to make an OP and the last time I got beat out actually.

Just make the next one Hyubasa edition (leave out the GOAT maybe, people tend to ignore opinionated threads and make different ones I've noticed).
I promise I won't try to make the next OP. Though I can't speak for other people.

First for the dream I had of a better version of Warzone before Warzone even came out.

It was about three - four weeks before they unveiled it:

>Same large maps, but more open.
>More focus on survival, like firefight
>Vehicles readily available from the start
>As you earn points you upgrade your main base and build structures around the map, e.g. sniper towers, bridges etc
>Weapons unlocked with the structures
>Constantly fighting a mix of covenant and prometheans
>Seemed like in the dream there was a focus on sticking to a role as you played. I seemed to be on the back of a warthog, shooting enemies and building structures (they'd just kind of "fall into place" as you passed), while the dude driving was dodging obstacles and trying to get me somewhere.

Overall the coolest part seemed to be that the maps would evolve, and you'd have to get yourself to an objective on the other side of the map without dying

I remember thinking "halo is saved" when I saw that warzone was kind of similar. Oh well

Halo 3 isn't even my favorite Halo and I'm also sad H3A (probably) isn't happening.

It just seems dumb to me to not give 3 a fair share of the remaster treatment. I get giving it to CE, but if you're going to extend it to 2, you might as well get the whole trilogy.

It's fine boyo, I've only made one successful /hg/ OP

I'll make it one time, probably not the next one though

>How is /hg/ celebrating International Woman's Day?
By playing Reach, of course

Halo 3 looks too decent for there to be an Anniversary honestly. Any remaster would just hamper the original art style, which I personally loved.

A remade map pack for 5 would be nice though, I'd love to pwn some n00bss on Guardian again

I completely disagree with that but it would be better than nothing

>CE gets a remaster
>2 gets a remaster
>3 gets some REQ shit DLC in 5
I'd rather have nothing than that. That's just insulting to 3's legacy.

Even if they just made Halo 3 backwards compatible I'd be happy to be honest.

>CE gets a map pack because there's already an established Halo title on the console
>H2A gets a modified version of Halo 4 to bring Halo to a new platform
>implying H3 would get any special treatment when it's still playable on 2 consoles

Reach got the anniversary map pack remember?
I would be down with a proper standalone campaign remaster + map for H5, similar to how CEA did it.

I'm shocked they haven't yet. I guess they just want to sell the MCC instead, but that was such a fuckup that I doubt the sales haven't stagnated by now anyway.

Why would you want that when there's TMCC? Not memeing or anything, i really can't see the point.
I would rather see ODST BC instead because i want to play firefight on Xbone.

>Reach got the anniversary map pack remember?
Yes, it was almost universally criticized. People wanted the original multiplayer.
>I would be down with a proper standalone campaign remaster + map for H5, similar to how CEA did it.
That would be a decent compromise, but you need the campaign piece for it to be notable.

>Why would you want that when there's TMCC?
That's a funny joke, user. But we're being serious.

H3A as scorpio launch title with access to the H6 beta would be a clutch and affordable move, but it doesn't look like they're going for that route.

All eyes on e3 I suppose

No i'm serious, the campaign is better in every way. If you're talking about the multiplayer, everyone votes for H3 every match anyway so that's not an issue.

>campaign is better in every way
Crashes
FPS dropping and rising by double digits
Co Op is even more picky than it is on 360 (I've checked)
SFX issues
>multiplayer
I would run out of characters describing the issues with multiplayer in MCC.

To be honest i already gave up on hope for H3A.
CEA had strong rumors before it's announcement.
2A had rumors and comments like "maybe we'll do it" and "nothing to announce at the moment".
3A has "no we're not workin on it", "not worth the time/money" and "no Halo FPS this year".

The MCC ranges from moderately glitchy to borderline unplayable.
It is in no way "better in every way"

Fuck 3 anniversary, they made a hash of MCC, if they released that and expected more money it would be disgusting

Just make a new, good IP. Sea of Thieves is literally the only xbone exclusive I'm loooking forward to

This is why they need to at the very least release Halo 3 on backwards compatibility.
If they're not going to give us an anniversary treatment, AT LEAST give us a version of the game that works.

I'll enjoy playing it on PC

To be honest, i never had any problems with any campaign in TMCC besides achievements not unlocking in the first couple of months and i have hundreds of hours of playtime.

I'll give you multiplayer though, i'm aware some people still have major issues with it.

Literally "IT WORKS ON MY MACHINE": the Post.

but yeah I've had a similar experience. Campaign tends to work fine

>give us a version of the game that works
Someone hasn't joined /hg/ customs sessions.

>Someone hasn't joined /hg/ customs sessions.
Have you?
There's always like 6+ people that can't join the lobby because the game won't let them. Then for those who do get in, there's always a chance they get booted by the game after the match.

That's a feature, it's to make every match more hype.

This guy

I like you

Why would anyone want halo3 remastered

Game looks fine already. The cool "old vs new" graphic feature would look pointless or not be in. Which would again be useless .

Also halo CE and Halo2 are the only prime classics. Elder tier. Original Duke controller pre-360 days back when the closest thing to a dashboard was some green tabs and when we had clans .

Halo 3 is new. 360 era. Graphics look fine today. Even sometimes better than 5. Remastered would be pointless. You could just play MCC or of not.....On 360 Because it's still online of I'm not mistaken.

Guys, relax.

We will get an H3A one day, it just probably won't be on the 10 year anniversary. It will instead be years later. Some fans will make it a project and they'll probably do a better job than 343 could have done anyway.

Right now however, 343 is in a similar situation that they were in during 2011 where they had to focus their main efforts on the next main entry and not the remaster, so they outsourced the campaign remastering and just made the multiplayer a modded Reach mode with some new maps. It would only make sense to expect a similar treatment in Halo 5 with modded weapons, kill times, and classic maps. We don't even need a new coat of paint on the campaign because MCC kind of gives it to us anyway (not in the same respect as it did for CEA and H2A, but H3 is also a better looking game than the classic CE and 2 were anyway).

So yeah, we will probably get the game you are looking for, just not this year. And remember, that's kind of a good thing because focus on MCC was one of the things that really hurt Halo 5's development in the long run.

Stay optimistic. Everything will be alright.

Because Halo 3 looks and sounds absolutely dated in comparison with H2A.

I think it would be cool if 343 did a few more free dlc packs. But each based on a halo game. And not just "here's a pistol"

>CE pack. With some emblem. Maybe better classic armor. At least 2 maps. And maybe one gun. Like classic AR

>Halo2 pack same deal. A map or 2. Some better armor. And another weapon or 2

And I'd say just for Halo 1-2-3. Maybe even have a warzone map based on each game. Like CE could have the control room. Maybe Halo2 could have a Outskirts type warzone map. Halo3 could have The Covenant themed

>Never will happen.

So?

Graphics shouldn't even matter. It works in CE and 2 Because those games look old and new graphics are like a huge jump. Halo3 to Halo3A would be like "oh here's some old but good graphics. Vs. Better graphics". It's not the same thing. It's like a 2-3x difference compared to a .25-1.5x difference.

Only thing I'd say is Forge and Customs. with a halo 5 type custom browser and forge Halo3 would be fun. Imagine the things people would make

>CE: Shotgun, AR, wonky physics Ghost
>2: Brute shot, Spectre, Heretic Banshee
>3: Spiker, Mauler, Chopper, Hornet
>Wars: Wolverine, Vampire
>Reach: Plasma launcher, P. repeater, Falcon
>4: Concussion rifle, Sticky detonator
>Wars 2: Jackrabbit, Marauder

>inb4 dewrito fag starts shilling his fake halo game

Hit the nail on the head. There isn't a big enough gap in graphical quality for a full remaster. End of story.

So you get to decide what visuals have aged better?
Nah.
H3's art style looks worse than 2s even.

>H3's art style looks worse than 2s even.
Nigga what

Please. Halo 3 was the first Halo game to not visually impress at launch.

You're right about graphics not being the determinent, but we still need a working version of H3 on the current platform. We don't have one.

Hit the nail on the head.
Halo 3 original is unpopulated and low res.
MCC is broken and unplayable.
Halo Online is a joke.

There is no optimal way to play what most consider the best Halo game. Period.

So you think 343 should just keep rereleasing/remastering the original trilogy every generation?

You guys are so, so spoiled. Most franchises don't even get a single game anniversary treatment.

Also H3 has worse FOV by far.
Holy shit it's horrible.

>So you think 343 should just keep rereleasing/remastering the original trilogy every generation?
Not at all.
I just want a working version of Halo 3 on Xbox one

Halo 3 on MCC looks fine.
Not great, but fine.

The problem is Halo 3 on MCC is... well, it's MCC.

IT

Most franchises aren't nearly as big as Halo.

WORKS

ON

Yep, and that's a problem that should have been fixed two years ago

How do you guys expect to get H3A when they botched the MCC up so badly and never properly fixed it?

We dont.
Basically what said.

343 is too incompetent to get the job done at this point.
All we really want now is some form of working 3 multi. Backwards compatible would be fine

BBWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNN

I love the new scarab

So I might have missed something but I thought the Ark was destroyed at the end of Halo 3? then it reappeared in Halo Wars 2 whatever reason why?

It wasn't destroyed, just severely damaged. Sentinels repaired it after the events of Halo 3.

Hunters in the Dark reveals It was just heavily damaged but after that (according to Haah Waaw's pheonix logs) the science teams sent to investigate it reactivated the Ark's repair network which set about restoring it, although the heavily damaged/compromised structure would have made for a more interesting setting.

Lol what an idiot you didn't read Hunters in the Dark, Halo Evolutions, and the Forerunner trilogy?
Lol everybody has done that, like, literally everybody!
Nobody has ever been confused about this. It's not a problem. Stop talking about it.

I wonder when this "EU is bad" meme is going to end.

Thanks I'll have to wiki more of the lore

I don't have a kindle and I'm banned from half priced books

>EU is bad
The EU is fine when it stays in the EU.
Keep it out of the games. Don't require people to do additional reading just to figure out what the fuck is going on.

When the EU get some quality to it

When they learn how to read

I guess some people here were too young when back in the trilogy days people complained about the campaigns being barebones in terms of story, characters and lore.

What are you talking about?
I was criticizing him, not the EU.
Literally EVERYBODY engages in the EU completely. Everybody knows everything from every book and comic before they play the games. To say otherwise is just false. Nobody has ever been confused in the last few games because people do their homework. Of the millions that buy the game I would say maybe a handful don't read all the books, so there's no problem!

>Lack of lore
>Halo 2
Yeah, nah.

Please provide some instances of people complaining about a lack of story in CE and 2 from "back in the day".
I realize this may take some time, so I'll wait until next thread.

For the record, it's fair to assume that anyone that posts in the Halo General on fucking Veeky Forums has experience with the expanded universe. So if anyone here is claiming to be confused and complaining about it, well, I find that hard to believe.

However, the same can't be said of the general populace.

You faggots told me I'd get custom profile pics.
When? WHEN???

Soon.

NEVER
NEVEEEER

Implying anyone read the books for Halo 1 before playing it

Is there any point to playing Banished Leaders besides Scarab rushing?

The beam

>Glassing beam

So I finished the Halo series today. Never played Halo growing up. Here's how I'd rate them

2 > 3 > ODST > 4 > Reach > CE > 5

I didn't like Reach (looked and played bad on Xbox One) and CE felt pretty old, I'd probably feel different if I had played them before.

Overall I feel like the series has hardly progressed over the years when compared to other shooter series, for example when I started playing CE I wondered why I cannot sprint, why I cannot aim like in other shooters, why I cannot have a location marker to my next - and it took them almost fifteen years to add all those features.

In the same way it started getting tiring fighting the same enemies over and over again over 7 games. Would've been cool fighting humans.

The story began degrading in 4 and hit a low point in 5. With 5 I got very surprised, I hadn't watched anything at all about that game and expected to get a jaw-dropping visual presentation and what I got was pretty crap graphics wise. It surely is nice having 60fps but for the single player they could do something more.

I also felt the whole story was badly written and explained, why are Cortana and the Master Chief now evil. The whole game got SJW-ified with cringeworthy dialogues from the bland female characters to having hunt the Master Chief as a clean one-sided black guy. I don't care what race or gender my protagonist has but all of the characters were just badly written and included for the sake of "diversity", compared to lets say Avery Johnson or Miranda Keyes.

>Overall I feel like the series has hardly progressed over the years when compared to other shooter series, for example when I started playing CE I wondered why I cannot sprint, why I cannot aim like in other shooters, why I cannot have a location marker to my next - and it took them almost fifteen years to add all those features.

Halo has always had more classic shooter roots, which is why a lot of purists despise all the games after 3. The lack of sprint and ADS was a plus for a lot of people.

So if I did want to get into the EU what are the essential must reads? No novel versions of the games or non canon stories please.

>when I started playing CE I wondered why I cannot sprint, why I cannot aim like in other shooters, why I cannot have a location marker to my next - and it took them almost fifteen years to add all those features.
Holy shit. I don't even like CE that much but God Damn man those are not "features", they're cancer.

I agree with pretty much everything you said except for your issues with sprint and aiming, but I can see why some people could enjoy doing that.

Always good to see what newcomers have to say.

Start with The Fall of Reach, it has the origin story for Master Chief, introduces a lot of characters, and sets up the plot for Halo 1.

I've been browsing this general for 2 threads now and your post has inspired me to play the campaigns.
The only halo game I own is Halo Wars 2 which I picked up after launch.

>jumping into Halo with a sequel of an rts spinoff of a well established franchise
Wat

Why does 343 insudtries get a title screen while Halo Wars 2 loads up?
They didn't make the game.

Fall of Reach has been overturned mostly by Reach but the beginning is still good.
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx
Glasslands sets up some of the post-war Covenant and ONI shenanigans if you want to read it, but the following two books aren't very good.
Contact Harvest is the beginning of the war and essential Covie backstory
Cole Protocol is just some Arbiter backstory if you want some

I wanted a new game to play and wanted to try a console RTS.
I got it more for gameplay than story.

thisalso the Forerunner trilogy if you wanna know more about them and the Didact and the Librarian

That's true but as I said I haven't played those games growing up and never played any other shooter series than Battlefield online (starting from 2) so it felt a bit odd. I wonder what they will do in 6.

Because they're in charge of everything Halo.

More or less read the novels via order of release.

The Flood is the only novel that's a direct novelization of one of the games (CE), and perhaps not coincidentally it's the one of the worst books, though it does have a few cool bits in it.

If I had to trim up some fat and not reccomend reading all of them, i'd say do

Fall of Reach > (skipping the flood) > First Strike > Ghosts of Onyx > Contact Harvest > (Halo wars if you haven't played it ) > Evolutions > Forerunner Triology > Broken Circle > Last Light > Fractures

You'd be skipping cole protocol, the travis books, new blood, and hunters in the dark, and smoke and shadow here. Cole protocol is fine, I guess, but I never found it particularly interesting. If you do want to go for it, read it after Contact harvest/halo wars.

The travis books get a bad rap and have issues so I excluded them but I honestly liked the first two, the third is legit awful. They cover the state of the universe post halo 3 before halo 4 and explain the origins of the covenant faction you fight in 4 and 5.

New blood explains what happens to the squad in ODST after that and how buck got to where he is in 5. It's pretty iffy, like the flood. Hunters in the dark is alright I guess but not great. It's vale's backstory and has a joint UNSC/elite team (including the elites players 3 and 4 play as in halo 3) going back to the ark after Halo 3

I haven't read Smoke and Shadow yet

How about the invisible AND shielded bases that automatically require a minimum of 10 cloak detecting units and still not be able to take it down.

Actually, thinking about it, you need to at least read the first travis book, glasslands, before reading Last Light.