Just got my first new car Veeky Forums

just got my first new car Veeky Forums

incoming blog post

tl;dr hyundai seems to have done well with this car

i'm prepared to be roasted but eh, thought i'd share. don't see anytalk of the elantra sport on here, but it seems pretty well received by most auto journalists.

my initial impressions:
>nicely bolstered seats, comfy full leather interior
>good driving dynamics: mostly flat through cornering, good feedback through the steering wheel, haven't driven that hard yet to test understeer, not sure if i can be a judge of the independent rear suspension yet
>nice exhaust note that's not pumped through the cabin(kind of needs to be stated given recent trends..) has some nice snap crackle and pop, decent burble, and you can hear some nice induction noises from the turbo
>absolutely easy as fuck shifter and clutch
>progressive, predictable braking
>torque picks up and puts you back in your seat ~3k rpm, trails off after 5k-ish rpm (haven't tested much higher because its brand new), plenty of highway passing power
>android auto is very straightforward and works well
>lots more tech that i'm still getting used to

Keep your Korean trash to yourself

Shut up child
You did good OP

thanks, it ended up being ~$20k too, which seems decent for how well equipped it seems to be

for 20k you could have bought a 1987 Ferrari Mondial at Barret-Jackson Red/Black manual transmission.

neat

Wow did you get it?!!???

nice ford fusion

no but someone else did, I was trying to buy an E36 M3 coupe that sold for 6k there, it only had 70k original miles. there was also a nice 944 S2 that went for 12k. kicking myself for not having the funds at the time.

It's a Mazda you retard

Aston Martin*

but then you would be stuck with the ugliest, shittiest car ferrari ever made with insane maintenance and insurance costs

I used to shit on Hyundai a lot, but I got to test drive my buddies 2015 Veloster Turbo and I honestly had a blast. The shifting felt so seamless and easy to get the hang of, sounded pretty nice for a turbo 4cyl, and the ammentities and the interior seemed really nice. I don't think they're the same as they used to be.

I'm going to pickup a 2013 in a few days for about $10k used.

I'd be broke and sad, but at least those tears are hitting some Ferrari leather.

I drive a 2013 elantra atm and its a pretty smooth ride with good handling. the only problem with it ive had so far is that its slow to shift (its automatic) when going from flat road to uphill.

Yeah, the Veloster I'm looking at is manual. I wanted a manual as a daily for a while.

I think I feel alone when I say I really like the design of the Veloster. Looks kewl.

>all these gook apologists

Look at the Veloster rally edition

i love the veloster. almost bought a 2012, but decided against it when i saw the oil was changed every 7k miles.

"gook" isn't an argument anymore, grandpa

Damn, I've been changing the oil in my 2016 every 5k miles.

Managed to put 40k miles on it in 18 months though, but I'm also ready to trade it in for the next Veloster when that drops early next year.

Veloster mkII is shaping up to look like it will be a decent little car. All the suspension improvements Hyundai has done to the Elantra Sport and the Elanrta GT will also be in the Veloster mkII, and they'll surely add more power in the base and the turbo models.

>buying a hyundai
>buying a new econobox
Kill yourself. Should've gotten a 3k civic or fixed your old car

Picked up this goy exactly 4 weeks ago this Thursday.

Neutral:
>6 spd auto with the flappy paddle manual shifter

good:
>rated 37 highway mpg, can stretch to 40 thanks to the high gearing in 6th. hangs at 2400 rpm at 80mph, and 1500 rpm at 50. 11 gallon tank, can stretch out refills forever
>surprisingly lots of trunk space
>manual shifter mode feels good, downshifting and revmatching can almost replace the feel of a clutch. almost.
>10yr 100k bumper to bumper warranty
>curb weight of 2550~ with 138 hp. Not bad for a 1.6L i4, drives a lot like my old Focus did, not much power under 2k but pulls well from 2k to 5k (haven't gone over, still new!)
>OE oil change interval on the non turbo is 3k for first and then 7k thereafter

bad:
>no center console, only a driver's side armrest
>cruise control was an option not included on the SE. my poor ankle :/
>electronic instead of throttle wire
>when in normal auto mode, the car is finicky about which gearing to pick, either going up a gear and making you accelerate too fast when coasting or forcing you to feather the throttle to avoid it shifting up. Can be remedied by using paddle shifter.
>Engine braking doesn't happen until a certain % of the brake pedal has been depressed, I don't know how to describe it but the car keeps itself in its most recent gear for a bit longer than is comfortable, I assume for emissions reasons. After you hit, lose enough speed it begins to downshift and you can feel the engine braking kick in. It's very finicky and takes a very fine throttle control to work around, would be better with the traditional mechanical cable I think
>back seat is cramped, not usable unless small asian laundromat worker
>14 inch tires on the SE, OEM tires ride loud, you can feel every line or piece of mulch you run over.

The best part though was the price tag. $12k brand new.

>tl;dr commuter econocar with lots of corners cut to hit the bottom line of super cheap prices

>it's my first car so now I feel compelled to write a lengthy blog post telling you about how good it is despite it bei onjectively shit and me not knowing any better because it's literally my first car

And this is why nobody likes millennials outside of other millennials. And coincidentally why Veeky Forums has gone fully down the shitter as well.

>stop liking things I don't like, it's shit

auto board, post about car not talked about that's pretty good and happen to have first hand experience with.

really makes you think

Hyundais are the definition of shitboxes and are nearly impossible to work on if you plan on anything beyond fluid changes. Get to know a 5'2" Filipino mechanic, you'll need it in 60k or so.

>80s ferrari
>quality leather

And here, anons, we see a retarded car """"""""enthusiast""""""" in his natural habitat. He goes by brand names and thinks he's an engineer because he knows how many cylinders his car has. Please do not feed them, it forms bad habits.

It's a good car, definitely one of the better compacts out there and the one to get if you want a quiet ride and don't like VW's unreliability, but I wouldn't call it sporty. Ironically, it's more comfortable than the Elantra non-Sport because that version has the torsion beam rear suspension that's bad in every way (okay, it does save space).