The meme is too strong

Drove a 1988 MR2 AW11 yesterday and now im infected. I cant resist this meme any longer. I drive a 335i as daily and had a Audi S4 4.2 V8 befor but I never had so much fun in a car befor.
tl:dr
>I will buy a MR2 AW11 for the summer

Other urls found in this thread:

boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/6075941228.html
ocala.craigslist.org/cto/6086572276.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/6095982029.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

just be careful at first, dat oversteer risk takes getting used to

do it tho

I tried the high horsepower and torque meme. I'd rather live in my 4AGE powered memes for life.

Also, I had an AE86, not an MR2, but I'm thinking about buying a $3-4k one this summer to replace my auto Civic. Seems to be a lot of potentially not total shitbuckets in CA for much less than my AE86 was.

Should I expect about the same reliability out of an AW11?

figured I'd ask, how are the stock speakers in an AW11?

are they decent?

can better stuff be put in if its shit?

and how hard is it to replace them?

thanks in advance

I heard you should never release the clutch to fast in corners. Is this true?
(Sorry for bad English I'm german)

Get a good sport exhaust and you don't need any speakers.
But for real it's really easy to change to aftermarket speakers.

No, it's an 80s car
Yes, it's a Toyota
Easy, it's a Toyota

Is the current Lotus Elise the only affordable new MR car?

>tfw drove a 2003 corolla base model the other day
>manual, shit tyres
>haven't had so much fun in a car in my entire life

I always thought that boats were great bargain fun

Now I can see that sports cars exist for a reason

That ass

>tfw want an aw11
>don't want to die in a carpark bump
>can't afford a lotus
wew

Question. Stereotypes aside, have you driven a Boxster?

snap oversteer is scaremongering. all you need to remember is when in doubt power out

Okay which one of you guys owns this? Cuz I'm interested

boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/6075941228.html

Owner of a POS AW11 I bought for $500.

All the bolts will be stuck, just own PB Blaster and a breaker bar.
Replace the stock air box with a pod filter. The airbox is restrictive as fuck and the pod filter adds sweet intake noise.
Honestly though the car is trooper. Runs through any conditions even when shit is going wrong with it. I mean I blew the headgasket and drove the car back home on two cylinders from 10 miles away through the city.

Stock speakers are SHIT.
It's not hard to replace the speakers.
I daily drive this car and frequently make hour plus trips and don't ever listen to music. It's a loud car that demands your attention at all times to drive it, which is why it's so much fun. I used to listen to so much music in me AE101 Corolla, and I thought I would miss it in my MR2 and I don't at all.

You should never shift in the middle of any corner so that's correct.
The bigger deal is don't brake mid corner. If you come into a corner too hot you have to ride it out and keep your foot on the gas. You should ONLY BRAKE WHEN THE CAR IS TRAVELING IN A STRAIGHT LINE!
is 100% correct. The car seems to grip more under power desu.

>I heard you should never release the clutch to fast in corners.

Who in the literal fuck taught you to drive?

Yes, its also a good drivers car and the fast one but I really cant stand the way it looks. The interior made me feel so bad I couldnt buy one.

My current and last car are awd and they drove around the corner like on rails

How are the supercharged AW11s? I have a sudden interest in this car.

it's true though, you can easily upset your traction and lose the rear end in a RWD car when you downshift quickly without rev matching

Thats what I read about the MR2. When the car came out new a lot of people crashed them for this reason

I swear I've seen this exact op like 4 times. Is this pasta? Stop it

Super rare here in Germany. I saw only one in my whole life. Toyota build them for the American market, I would kill for one.

Fuck off my thread reeeeeeeee this is no pasta.

Bretty rare here in USA too. Find one occasionally on Craigslist. They're often listed for $5000+. For that price you can buy a NA AW11 and turbo it to make the same power though.

Trust me it's better to swap the turbo engine from the W2 in the W1. It's really hard to make a turbobuild with the W11

Should I go blacktop or supercharger for AW11?

I've always liked NA engine setups, so I vote for the blacktop. The sound of a 4AGE 20v with ITBs is fucking amazing. Plus added throttle response.

Not the user you're replying to, but isn't a 20v setup with ITBs like 5k+?

Yes that's true, but that requires ECU swap and custom engine mounts and all that.

Meanwhile you can slap on a tiny turbo on a 4age, and run it at 6psi on the stock ECU just fine.

The NA route will always be much more expensive to achieve the power of forced induction. The 20v swap requires a full ECU and the engine parts are very expensive. At least $5000 if you don't fuck up anywhere and get good prices and do it yourself.

I currently have both and it's hard to choose to be honest. The blacktop revs like a motherfucker but the low end grunt out of the SC is also great, albeit with a bigger pulley and G-box mod.

If you want to stay relatively stock, I'd say go with the 20v, it sounds awesome and the throttle response is sweet, but if you have plans to heavily mod the supercharger or even go turbo, the 4AGZE is built like a tank.

Check this out
Should I do it?

My phone's fucked up screen made me forget the link
ocala.craigslist.org/cto/6086572276.html

The 20v comes with ITBs, its just a matter if you want to run the stock plenum box or if you want to run open elongated trumpets on them. Trumpets cost 200 dollars max.

Wait.. the MR2 got produced with the 20v A-GE in America? Or are the blacktop engines all custom builds from the 16v??

there is no turbo-kit for the W1 which means you have to do a lot of research to find the right parts

AW11s did not come with a 20v from the factory anywhere in the world.

what engine does that panda have?

No there has never been an factory 20V AW11.

And that's the point and why it costs so little. You can pull a cast manifold off eBay, get a junkyard turbo, splice in some coolant and oil lines, drill and tap the oil pan, and run a boost based fuel pressure regulator. It's really cheap and relatively easy.

20v

Thats why I got confused, only knew about the A-GE and A-GZE.

Did some one of you guys ever saw a turbobuild aw11 in real?

I just finished a silvertop swap and it probably cost me about 3 grand all told. The bt is a lil more expense, but if you play your cards right I could see it being done for 4 grand

What ECU are you running to get everything to work? And I'm assuming it doesn't have ITBs. Sounds like a blast though.

I drove a 3sgte swapped AW11 which was bonkers. I also plan to turbo my AW11s 4AGE this coming summer. Should be able to do it for under $2000 easily. A megasquirt ECU might get thrown in there at some point too if I want to run more than 6psi, but they run around $800 on their own for a plug and play.

Why wouldn't a ST/BT have ITBs? That doesn't make any sense.

There were multiple iterations of the 4age.
The most common iterations in basic terms are:
>Bigport 16V 4AGE
>Smallport 16V 4AGE
>20V 4AGE
>16V 4AGZE

I meant velocity stacks, not ITBs. Silly me. I know the 20vs came with ITBs.
I also figure the guy doing the swap did a lot of the custom fabrication himself. Also I'd be surprised if he's in the USA because all 20Vs are not that cheap from what I've seen.

Having open velocity stacks in an AW11 gets incredibly droning since the engine is right behind you. It sounded nice in the beginning but it honestly gave me headaches after 20 minutes of driving. The stock air plenum with the stock 20v curved trumpets and a good pod filter was the best compromise for me, and it still has the nice intake growl, just a little bit more muted. It's all a matter of taste but I got tired of deafening myself and being a cop magnet.

Vstacks don't cost that much anyway. T3 sells them for 180 USD

Don't let off gas quickly in corners, or anywhere, especially if the back end kicks out. If it does, give it a little gas. I'd recommend practicing a bit in a parking lot. They aren't that bad, but you should know how it will act if you're gonna be pushing it.

The st technically has stock itbs, they're just inside of a plenum so they can use an AFM instead of an MAP. I'm running the stock silvertop ecu, you just modify the st harness to mate to the aw11 body connectors.

I want an aw11 so fuckin bad, hold me anons

get one its not expensive

Best gen MR2

Really fun to drive, just slow as fuck
Like even my sierra is faster

It was never about speed, that's why the Miata is so popular, same with the 86.

Your modern accord could dust any of them in a straight line, but driving a modern accord is boring as all fuck.

>boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/6075941228.html

You cant hear the stock speaker system. lol at least in my car which only has a TRD header on stock exhaust.

I was thinking about buying that! I'm this guy I ended up buying a z31 300zx, more local and I've owned one before. That MR seems like a steal!

>mint
>rear end accident damage
>wheel arches rusted to shit
Not even worth 400

Is this even close to worth this much? I don't really know how the supercharged ones are priced. losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/6095982029.html

What he said. I have a car that does 0-60 in 5.3 seconds with torque out the ass but it doesn't get exciting until you're doing felony speeds. Had more subjective fun objectively crawling from stoplights in my AE86. Hard to give a shit about the Sentra pulling ahead of you when it feels like you're in a rally car all the time.

And they're not even that fucking slow for 30 year old cars.

its fast enough buddy

Just don't fucking lift off, or even brake for that matter.
Take it fast or die