Is it worth getting a sports car if it's automatic? Not shitposting, genuinely curious...

Is it worth getting a sports car if it's automatic? Not shitposting, genuinely curious. There's usually some cars I'm interested in, but they're almost always automatic. Is it worth having a nice(r) car if it's automatic, or does it negate it?

Depends on the transmission.

If it is decently responsive and shifts quickly than it likely won't matter. Paddles are always a plus.

Ideally a MT is what'd you want, for a sports car, but a nice auto is not bad if the deal is right.

Old cars alwqas manual.
New cars always auto

Back then autos were slower, unresponsive, less mpg.
They were made simply because of people not knowing how to manual

Nowadays they trump in every possible way.

>Is it worth getting a sports car if it's automatic?
No, manual or dual clutch but never auto.

>not shitposting, genuinely curious

if its a 4sp auto forget it

newer 6-10 speeds are fine but thats mostly after 2007

If its older than mid 2000s get a 6sp manual

This, but be careful on DCTs, they're nice but the ones in the Hyundais and Fords aren't very good. Autos are fine all around, but you get a lot more control over your power band and acceleration with a manual/DCT. Instead of waiting for VTEC or VVT to pull the slack you can push your engine up to redline yourself. You have to seriously floor it to get above 4k rpm in an auto.

>Nowadays they trump in every possible way
Except mechanical efficiency. Enjoy your inferior power and MPGs.

You will only get bored with it and feel inferior when you see other sports cars.
One day you will be listening to your favorite southern rock and driving down a back road and you will want to run through the gears and play racecar driver but you'll look down at your shifter and just feel defeated. Then you'll turn your music down and just sit back in your seat and finish your drive in with disdain for your automagic sports car.
I hate to tell you this but I care about you OP

It's definitely less fun and less cool but MT is basically inferior these days.

Think about it this way: it's just one more part of the cars operation that you're deciding to automate or not. You're also not playing with a choke for a carb, or any number of other operations.

IMO the only real advantage is you know exactly what the car is going to do when you hit the gas. Exactly how much power you'll get etc. Which is nice.

It depends on the car and the transmission. I don't know a lot about the 300zx but I doubt a 90s automatic was particularly 'sporty'. However more modern cars are less clear.

>grown up on 6speed manuals
>feel nothing but contempt
>read how efficient modern automatics are
>now enjoy all this extra space not being occupied by the shifter and clutch.

Anyone who says manual is "fun" is a filthy turncoat who started automatic. The only thing you get from manual is the smug satisfaction of being a prick

Only thing I can think of that's better about automatic is that the turbo pushes air the entire time you're accelerating. Though if you have a half decent turbo in a manual then it goes pretty much the instant you hit the accelerator again after shifting.

You can achieve the same effect with power shifting, no? Some cars can't handle it, but driveline upgrades shouldn't be much of an issue for it either.

The auto in a Z32 kind of sucks. Mine broke for the third time and I finally swapped it to a manual in 2015. It was a relatively easy swap; the pedals were easy to install and there was almost no wiring work required. Really woke that car up.

So if we're talking about Z32s, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a really nice automatic car with the goal to swap it to manual in the future.

Look up the brand of the transmission and find out.

The German cars around 2007 started using ZF autos and they work better than manual and almost as fast as DCT.

I bought a 2012 suburua outback auto and its was complete shit.

Old cars like Porsche with tiptronic autos are also bad up until PDK.

You'll have to try it out. The ZF 8 speed in my S Q3 audi is amazing.

Yeah? Can you not comprehend a post that's not a shitpost?

How much did the swap end up costing you?

Just call it a grand tourer instead of a sports car.

Lots of stress on the drivetrain, even if done correctly. I never recommend powershifting.

>this shit again

No. It may take days, weeks, months, or years, but eventually that thought will appear...

"I would like this car more if it were a manual." Once that hits, you''l spend less and less time behind the wheel because from here on out you'll never enjoy you car the way you did before.

stuck in the past gramps?

Then why does the Viper have the most track records?

Depends on the car and the transmission. For older cars, and for lightweight cars (BRZ, miata, etc) I would always choose the manual. If I was getting a Corvette or a Porsche it would be a difficult choice for me personally though.

If you aren't getting a newer car stick to the manual.

Because it is a track car that they made street legal.

So then what's the point of automatic?

Spoken like a true cuck

To be driven on the street? Ease of use? Comfort?

Why are you so hostile toward something that no one is forcing you to use?

>To be driven on the street?
What does this even mean? Lots of manuals are on the street
>Ease of use?
Maybe if you're an amputee
Comfort?
Then why are you looking at a sports car.

I'm not being hostile. But why are you praising an inferior transmission?

not him but I swapped an s14 for just over 1k in burgerbucks. It's not much harder than changing a clutch, I recommend it if you can find a clean auto car

>To be driven on the street
Literally what I said. It's for driving on a fucking road. It is no better or worse. It is an option.

I have a feeling no matter how many ZFs or PDKs or 7ATs or 8ATs that come out that are faster, more efficient, and overall better, you are going to dismiss them as "inferior" with your baseless opinion because of some skill a teenage girl can learn in an afternoon in an empty parking. It sounds like a you problem son.

t. Someone that taught their little sister to drive manual in an afternoon

Really depends on the transmission and how easily you can come by the manual transmission that came in the car and swap it in if you want

What s14 guy said. About $1000. Funny, the last Nissan I manual swapped was an s14 too. Anyway, for the z32 I actually got lucky and got all the parts from a local guy for $300 including pedals, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, tranny, etc etc. But at market value, you're looking at $1000 or so to piece it all together. And then one to three weekends of wrenching depending on your abilities and tools available.

Yes, look at the new ZL1 auto.

To buy and end up swapping a manual into? I say yes if it's a ob1 or earlier, very super clean and well maintained car and is cheaper than the manuals.

Theres probably some cars that might be a special case that are newer like a G35, 350, or e46 where the swaps are well documented and direct bolt on. I would look out for differences in engines tho

It's come to a point where manual transmissions are a crutch. The hold back the true performance potential of a car, and it seems the le supreme enthusiasts don't really care about it. More like it suits them, because now they have a legitimate excuse for their shit driving.

>huur I'd rather focus on changing gears than actually going fast, that's why my lap times are so bad! But at least I'm having fun fumbling around like a retard who thinks operating a stick shift Is a badge of honor!