Sup Veeky Forums

Sup Veeky Forums

Im tired of bringing my cars to the shitty car wash and want to start doing it myself.

Is pic related a good start or is there a cheaper solution to my lil problem.

Would I be better off buying stuff separately and possible saving $30 or $40 bucks?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CE78VO8/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What car do you have and what's condition of paint? Don't buy that, go on amazon and buy the following.
>wash mitt
>chemical guys 1 gallon of honeydew soap
>absorber XL drier
>microfiber cloths
>clay bar (removes gritt out of paint, make sure to lubricate with detailer)
>meguiars quick detailer (for clay in and removing baked on dirt and bugs)
>applicator pads
>meguiars compound
>meguiars polish
>chemical guys jet seal

Wash car thoroughly, Claybar with quick detailer or you'll swirl your shit up, compound, polish,sealant. If you do that keeping your car clean will be super easy. Just apply the sealant every three months by hand.

I have an 08 Honda civic and the paint is MEH. not exactly bad but not great either.

also have a Miata that was repainted probably about a year or two ago.

The previous owner did all the prep work so really the paint job came out really good for a MAACO paint job

the cars are both black.

Also thanks for the list. Do I need anything else?

Have you ever waxed a car before? Are they both swirled?

Not op, but would a foam Lance be a good idea?

I have never waxed a car before. Just the civic is swirled.

Only if you own a pressure washer
Apply thin layer body panel at a time, usually I start with hood, then fenders, then bumper. Wax dries fast so keep an eye on it when it's set for like 5 minutes remove wax with microfiber towels. Watch some tutorials on youtube.

OP here, I was thinking about that as well. Im not sure if its just some weird instagram meme that people like to use so they can take pics/vids of themselves using it or if it actually works better than the normal method

sounds good, thanks user.

I have one but it's 2700psi or so I'm concerned that's too high, so I was looking at ones that attach to a garden hose. Those any good or should I not bother?

Np, forgot to add be careful with black trim wax will stain it and make hard to remove
No, it's safe I have a 3100psi pressure washer. Make sure you use right attachment for wetting the car

Allright cool, I'll pick one up then.

Get this exact one, just be carefull with neck and attaching nozzle it's very fragile but it's cheap and works wonders

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CE78VO8/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

>everyone here posting these car washing kits
>I just use dish soap and water with Windex for the windshield
I do like to make sure my lights are nice and clean though so there's that

Your paint will start to fade and oxidize because you decided to be a lazy fuck

Will do, thanks user

I bought the soap dispenser spray attachment at harbor freight for $13. It has a variety of spray patterns, but I use it mainly for the soap dispenser. A fresh stream of soapy water carries off any grit as I use a wash mitt in the other hand. It's definitely a lot more convenient than using multiple buckets.

Your car is bigger than your own body. But imagine washing yourself with buckets as compared to a bathtub. You'd be cleaner in the bathtub. Then compare the the bathtub to the shower. You see that a continual stream of fresh soapy water gives a cleaner wash. Fresh stream also means there is plenty of liquid for the mitt so it doesn't scratch with any grit it picks up. And the fresh stream clears out a lot of the grit in the first place.

Another plus is that if any part of the car starts to dry out, I can easily spray over there to keep it wet while I finish using the mitt elsewhere. No more slow buckets for me.

>I just use dish soap and water with Windex for the windshield

Some dish soaps have "oxyclean" or other oxidizing or bleaching agents in them. Oxydizing your car's paint is not a good thing.

Another thing about dish washing soaps is that the better ones have enzymes added to help detach organic matter from the metal pots or inorganic ceramic finish of plates. The clear coat and paint on a car is basically organic matter stuck onto a metal surface. Surely, you don't want to apply enzymes made to loosen organics from a metal surface? Sure, the clear coat and paint are thick, so you say what's the big deal, it won't penetrate enough. But why make the upper surface of your organic clear coat "frayed" in a molecular sense from the enzymes trying to yank off the organic molecules? You're just artificially aging it.

Haven't you wondered why there are cars with peeling clear coat but almost all other same model cars from the same year look just fine? Those cars with the peel probably used harsh treatments that oxidized the clear coat. Or they used too much "correction" or polishing and thinned the clear coat to where it was too thin to keep itself from peeling off.

>it's 2700psi
Don't use pressure on places with paint chips. The PSI will force moisture thru the chipped area and under the paint. Thus you can get a bubbling rust spot over time.

>I have one but it's 2700ps
>I have a 3100psi pressure washer.

I understand the use of pressure washers for sidewalks and decks as it blasts moss and mildew off (or even etches the sidewalk if held in place too long).

But pressure washers seem redundant if you're going to use a wash mitt and physically rub the surface of the car anyways.

>2 microfiber mits
>car soap from the store(it doesnt fucking matter what it is, they usually perform the same)
>cheap foam gun
>2 cheap buckets from lowes
>pressure washer
>drying microfiber towel
>meguiars wax
wow, didnt cost me a car payment and I get the same results

>wow, didnt cost me a car payment and I get the same results
$13 Soap Dispensing Trigger Sprayer (adjustable){harbor freight}
$7 MF Washing Mitt
$4 Handle to use with mitt (longer reach & easier to hold)
$8 Meguiar's Gold Class car wash shampoo
$14 Turtle Wax ICE liquid wax
$8 Turtle Wax ICE Detailer

Microfiber towels and other items are from household supplies and are stocked regardless of car or not. Waffle weave is for scrubbing and thus aren't for car paint. Use plush MF for drying and wring as needed. Cheap packages of MF towels are available at warehouse shopping clubs.

Before washing the car, I windex the front and back windows to see how much calcium mineral deposits there are. Then I put vinegar onto a folded paper towel and wipe to remove the mineral deposits. A glove keeps the vinegar off my fingers. If you are bolder, you can use calcium removal chemicals as long as you are very careful not to get it on any rubber seals, wipers, or paint. Vinegar removes less but is much more gentle if some gets on wipers or window edges.

O fugg, did not know
Will fix this, thank you Veeky Forums

Not a problem so long as you use low bit and keep it with a little distance.
If you have a foam Lance it makes soaping the car much easier, if you rinse before then let soap absorb into the paint it loosens the contaminants alot easier especially when using warm soapy water.

I use two passes of soap to clean the car. The first time is a cursory somewhat careless removal of mostly the major dirt along the sides of the car. That grimy dirt sticks pretty strongly especially near the bottom.

Two passes aren't needed with the pressure washer with foam attachment warm soapy water helps alot too. Also no having to worry about two buckets or keeping as much contaminants on mitt. Do you have a pressure washer?

>Do you have a pressure washer?
Everyone in my neighborhood that washes their car at home uses a soap dispenser that hooks onto the hose. No one uses the multiple bucket method after the word spread around and people see how easy and fast it is. Everyone also understands a "shower" is cleaner than a "bath" using dirty water. Pretty soon, everyone copied each other and now all of us use soap dispensers. Except for one house down the street that still uses buckets.

To make using a mitt easier, I have it on a short handle. So no more stretching or having a bent wrist which is tiresome.

The first easygoing pass with the mitt reveals areas that need more attention on the 2nd cleaning pass that is done more seriously. I like the easygoing first pass because I have more time to rinse out any debris on the mitt. Thus the 2nd pass has very little debris to contend with.

Those soap dispensers that attach to garden hose are garbage