Dick drain plug

I know no one on Veeky Forums actually owns a car, but figured I'd ask. I'm doing my own oil change for the first time on my WRX and the drain plug is stuck. I have a Fumoto to replace it with, but the damn thing won't come off.

Should I:
-use a magic Veeky Forums-recommended way of getting this piece of shit off
-buy a breaker bar
-rent one from a store nearby if it's not worth it to own one? (never done this before, don't know how much it costs)

Alternatively, would a 17mm lug wrench help with asshole bolts like this? I don't have one yet but wouldn't mind picking one up or borrowing that instead of a breaker bar if it'll do the trick anyway.

thanks nerds

Have you tried asking your boyfriend for help?

Breaker bar is your best friend твн

if you're right handed, place your left palm on the wrench and apply force (lefty loosey - righty tighty). Then with your right hand strike the back of your left palm firmly.

If that doesn't work, get a bigger wrench, or a breaker bar and a socket. My buddy's 15' forester is a 14mm, but almost all Japanese engine oil drain plugs are either 14 or 17mm.

pic unrelated

If you don't have a socket that size or a breaker bar handy, double up on wrenches

pic related

Get a can of wd-40 and spray the shit out of it also try to loosen it by going back and forth on the bolt but only a tiny little bit don't want to over tighten it or you might fuck up the thread on the bolt

Just get a breaker bar. You'll end up using it plenty more times, especially if you ever need to remove your wheels.

logically WD40/penetrating fluid wouldn't do anything in this scenario. If it did, that means you'd have oil leaking past the threads.

Spraying penetrating fluid wont help for any bolt that provides a fluid seal

Are you using the 3/8 ratchet? Time to break out the 1/2.

If you really don't want to dick around with extra tools and just need this shit done, use your foot/leg to loosen it.

First of all, you're an idiot.
Second of all, penetrating fluids such as WD40 are a much lower viscosity than engine oil, and will weep through threads that are otherwise air tight.
I'm however doubtful it'd work as gravity isn't working in the favour.

Just had this literally happen to me today on the Z
Had to drive (other car) and get a 14mm for my 1/2 breaker bar that I usually only use for lug nuts. It's like 2ft and made things wayyyyy easier.

Would recommend, going to just buy a full set of 1/2 sockets so I can use this bar for all sorts of other issues

I'm really curious if that's the case.

Not to move goal posts, but drain plug threads are always covered in oil to begin with, so actual seizure isn't the worry.

The threads might be oiled, but the head of the plug isn't (unless there's a leak) - that's the part that seizes.

how can you have a wrx and not a breaker bar

Sounds like I'll pick up a breaker bar, thanks y'all.

I lol'd. But ouch.

you're calling me an idiot yet you say the head of the drain plug is the part the seizes?

also the GASKET is what is sealing between the drain plug and the oil pan.

Don't have an extra set of wheels and I just started doing my own maintenance. I haven't had any issues with it anyway, knock wood.

>Breaker bar is your best friend твн
>твн

Get more tools. Good ones.

Buy a breaker bar. You will never regret it

You missed the thread a while back where the guy had a WRX with a cross-threaded drain plug. He was afraid he'd break something trying to take it out.

Consensus was: sell the car. Now it's someone elses problem.

Fuck off your nasioc they'll know more than the cunts on Veeky Forums

Literally one push on a breaker bar and the thing turned.