How reliable is a porsche 944 non S?

How reliable is a porsche 944 non S?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Vd4r83tZBBw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pretty good if it's been looked after and hasn't done a zillion miles.

But they do need a decent maintenance schedule if you want to keep them that way.

So by maintenance, is there anything except for changing oil, checking belts, etc?

I daily drove one for 5 years before it died on me, mine was a S with a s2 swap in it though. Picked it up with 100k miles, I treated it real bad. I had to replace the rear cv axles 4 times when I snapped them launching it, I replaced the clutch (it's a real bitch in them too, you gotta take the whole rear end, exhaust, ect off). Cleaned the AFM and did some electrical work when it was idling bad. I wouldn't say anything beyond the ordinary to expect with a 25 year old car, reason mine died was the water pump cracked and I just gave up on it.

I've seen kits for both a g50 swap, and 911 axle/hub swap, what do you think of the sound of that?

Would it still be rear transmission? To be honest I don't know anything about 911 engine or transmissions. I only ever learned the 944 and the 928 because that's what I had. Would it make it shift smoother or something? Cause I'd say that's my biggest complaint driving that car, the shifting was so sloppy since the linkage runs the entire length of the car.

It would, of course. Not sure how the shift feels, but the g50 is much stronger, and has a great lsd. I think the g50 can handle up to 700hp or so.

I wouldn't worry much about prepping it for 700hp or something. I'm not gonna tell you how to live your life but just gonna say the entire point of the car (at least pre 88) is to be tiny and light, balanced 50/50 weight. It has just enough oomph to be fun on the highway or open country roads bur also still be great in the turns. I'd look at tires and suspension as my first mods for it, a turbo kit if you really want more power. If you engine swap it, it'll ruin the weight distribution.

If I engine swap, it'll only be for reliability. I've read a lot about axles breaking, so I figured, I'd get those replaced first, after usual things I do to new cars, which is oil, brakes, and tires. You really suggest suspension? Do you have a particular brand to look at?

I can't remember what I had but I had some decently cheap coilovers and noticed a world of difference after them. Also get one with a broken ebrake, so that you can leave it up and offer friends to drive it, then they get analised by it since it's on the left side and people never spot it.

Make sure it comes with maintenance paperwork, primarily info about the timing belt. They're pretty reliable if you pay attention to your routine maintenance. Don't expect it to be fast, but they handle like a dream if you know how to drive with your right foot.

I wouldn't expect a naturally aspirated i4 to be fast. It looks nice, seems reliable enough, rwd, manual, cheap, and has rear seats for my daughter, so it's perfect, really.

If aftermarket suspension made your car feel much h better then your stock suspension was probably old and broken. The user looking to buy you can keep it stock as long as parts don't need to be replaced. Aftermarket parts may be cheaper to replace with if stock is broken.

I own and track an '87 944, non turbo. It's solid and should be around for a long time, but I managed to find one in basically perfect condition around Atlanta.

Yes, my struts were blown. But I also drove a buddy's 944 turbo and his didn't feel nearly as good as mine after the coilovers (know for certain his suspension was fine). I'm pretty certain that the 951 had the same setup as the s/s2 so the only thing I can think is that the coilovers just did way better.

I don't really care how smooth it is, and neither does the little one. Funnily enough, she likes loud cars, lol

Checked and this.
Ive bought 2 off craigslist and after some initial repairs( one water pump and the other needed some gaskets because it leaked oil like sieve) They both ran like a champ.

Not especially, but you really need to keep a check on shit that will have fatigued badly over the years and possibly not been replaced, water pump etc.

Not really too bad other than that, but check for wear throughout the suspension, cv joints etc

Thanks guys, I'm getting pretty excited to check one out. Not sure if I'll go with one, or have to save up a bit, since they range in price a lot, but still excited nonetheless. I think I'll do the axle swap regardless of anything, just in case, and probably replace some of the hoses.

Relevant video
youtube.com/watch?v=Vd4r83tZBBw

bought one january 2016, daily drove it and fixed things as they got fucked. bought it for $2,400 and the list of things that went wrong/needed maintenance included

>handbrake spring/adjuster failiure
>brake pads/rotors
>brake lines rusting to the point where they snapped, forcing me to fabricate brake line because you can't just find prefab line for them
>Ignition switch (that was a bitch to diagnose)
>rear shocks
>balance shaft belt and roller failure
>timing and alternator belts
>alternator tensioner failiure
>cam tower gasket failure
>various electrical gremlins, including a bizarre case of having no turn signals because the park/safety switch on the transmission was shorted
>various small things that cost twice as much as they should simply because it's a porsche

i think i've spent about 3,000 on fixing it at this point. i wonder why i still have it, then i take it to another track day and remember...