Welcome to Parts, how may I help you?

>Welcome to Parts, how may I help you?
>I'm looking for some floor mats, its for Brand New Car Model 2017 S Spec
>Sure thing, just need the VIN

>no buying everything online
L A D

What does the vin has to do with fucking floor mats?

>be me
>ordering parts for my miata
>need a new thermostat and alternator belt
>not a retard so I looked up the part numbers and everything to make sure its 100% correct
>go to checkout
>see field for VIN number
>think to myself wtf
>leave it blank
>finish checkout
>pop up tells me i left a field empty

>Not realizing that VIN look up is the better way

You have not worked in a parts store. You have not had some moron screaming at you because you cant sell them a starter for their Toyota that has 4 doors and they "think" has a V6 causes it feels fast to them.

The VIN is accurate to each specific car. If changes were made mid year or across models, The VIN will tell. Just because two cars were made in the same year does not mean they used the same parts.

That is why dealerships, which is who I assume you called, require the VIN up front. Litte room for error if they have the exact diagrams that match your VIN.

>tfw swapped all my vin markings with a junked car

>Hey I need a cockulator for my for my 2015 nigmobile buttfucker FGT manual, should be part number 1337-1488
>Ok let me take a look, can I have your vin
Nigger I gave you every piece of information you were gonna get off my vin I'm not gonna walk down stairs into the garage just to fucking stare through my windshield to read you a jumble of characters that will tell you the exact same shit I just did in 10 seconds

But it's easier to type the VIN in than all that shit

Who doesn't have a picture of their vin plate on them/their phone at all times. Amateurs, lot of you.

I don't as I have it memorized

I fucking hate this shit. Fucking dealers wont even, shit CANT even look up anything without a fucking VIN. Even for a car model that came in two fucking trims. Not even a fucking option.

I was getting my tires rotated and wanted to ask the parts guy a few questions.

Wanted to know the foglight bulb type
>need a fucking VIN
Wanted to know exactly how many quarts of oil it takes
>needed a fucking VIN
asked about buying paint touch up bottle, knew the fucking color code
>sorry sir, I need the fucking VIN

FUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOU

Is it that much of a chore to give the vin? Takes all of 3 seconds to read off your winshield or in your door.

Just recently ran into this sort of issue. They need the VIN for color matching.

>Order parts from rockauto
>Never have this problem

>match that paint to your vin
>car is old and faded
>get a shiny new panel

>person at echeck asks for my vin
>give it to them
>they ask how many miles i have
WHY DONT YOU JUST ASK ME HOW MANY INCHES MY DICK IS WHILE YOUR AT IT FUCKING JESUS MOTHERFUCKING CHRIST
>lie

they sell this info to chinese advertisers who in turn sell it to insurance companies who jack your rates

This is the sort of issue you have once, then you do and never deal with it again.
Or you go on Veeky Forums and rant about it and shit.

>pull into BP
>card reader is broken on pump
>walk inside to prepay
>"Hi, 20 on pump 4 please"
>"Absolutely, just need your VIN"

Or then you have the case of my car. My Vin would point you to a 94 integra rs automatic. What I actually have is a 94 integra with the vtec and manual swaps done. Absolutely useless to use vin lookup.

>not buying your parts online
It's like you want to get bad parts

>talking to this qt
>ask for her number
>"sure I just need to run your VIN"

kek'd audibly.

>matching your paint code to your VIN
>paint code is LITERALLY next to your VIN under the hood

why.jpg?

It's so they can write you a ticket and put you in the system (on top of making it easier to have your car's specifics), so it's easier next time you come in

>t. Service Advisor at Ford dealership

why is it so hard to find your vin?
if you cant find it yourself im sure a 2 minute google search can

Its not about knowing your VIN, its about having to deal with that many numbers, or dealers being retarded and not accepting the model, year, and trim of the fucking car.

>Pull car into oil change shop
>I tell them 4.5qts 10w30
>They ponder around my car for 30 seconds looking for my VIN (I removed all but one VIN numbers from my car)
>I tell them to just change the oil
>wageslave gets his boss to come over and explain to me he can't "service" my car without a VIN number
>I give them a fake vin I made up completely on the spot
>This satisfies the bureaucracy and they begin to change the oil
>2 minutes later I catch the little fucker trying to put the wrong oil in my car
>Remind him I said 4.5qts of 10w30
>He tells me I'm wrong and that his computer is telling him 15w40
>The VIN I gave the guy must have been some diesel truck
>Without directly telling the kid if he's retarded, I point to the oil cap that clearly says "10w30"
>Boss comes back over
>This is a fake VIN number we CAN'T touch this car!!!
>He instructs his wage lackeys to lower my car off the lift and get me out
>My car has no oil in it, they drained it
>The boss himself pushes my car out of the shop
>Threatens to call the cops on me for lying to him about the VIN if I argue with him
>I call the cops myself and explain what happened
>I'm American
>Cops shoot me and I die

>Not changing your own oil

>decide to take my qt3.14 gf out for dinner
>pick her up in my gorgeous /Miata/
>head out to the restaurant
>fanciest place within an hour of where we live
>collars and ties required
>place is an old fashioned 40's style steak house
>already trying to decide how much steak I can eat while still being able to bone down later
>place has a valet service
>looks legit enough but always get nervous doing valet.
>don't want someone joy riding in my baby
>one guy opens my gf's door, another opens mine
>while it always pains me just slightly, step aside to allow the valet in
>"take good care of her" I say autistically
>"of course sir. but before I go park it, just need to run your VIN."

>not having your vin memorized

>ordering a thermostat for buddy's TA using the shop discount

>This is parts, how can I help you?
I need a thermostat for an LS3
>What's the vin
That won't help you
>I just need the vin sir
1GMblahblahblah
>That appears to be an '89 with a 305. We have a thermostat on the shelf
That's nice, but it's wrong. This isn't the factory engine. I need a thermostat for an LS3.
>Oh, ugh let me get someone else.
>This is generic old man parts guy #3
I need a thermostat for an LS3
>ok, I'll send one down

Blame the software. Not us.
t. Parts

That's bullshit and you know it. You can do searches without VIN numbers
t. Actual parts guy

Write the ticket without the VIN. I assume you use CDK.

>It's easier to read off a jumble of letters from a plate than list the model, trim, and engine from memory
Wrong

Why can't they use your license plate number? That's how it works here and it's a lot easier to remember than a VIN

This seems like the best reasoning. I see no reason to not give VIN, especially if you are at the dealer. Then you can just say "Hey, its user" and they already know everything about your car.

If they ask for VIN when getting parts, odds are that vehicle has different parts within the same year/model, as others have said. I was at my dealer the other day for wiper blades; only told em year and model, and they brought em right out. However, I'm sure if I asked for something engine related they would need the VIN.

In defence of vin code asking, there might have been some mid year adjustments that differ. See rear wheel hubs for the Opel Vectra for example.

>Wanted to know the foglight bulb type
Read your manual
>Wanted to know exactly how many quarts of oil it takes
Read your manual
>asked about buying paint touch up bottle, knew the fucking color code
Big news, OEM paint is sold with a part number just like everything else and you need a VIN to get the exact one you need.

Just because you are too lazy to keep your VIN saved on your phone or to fucking read your manual, doesn't mean everyone has to cope with your laziness.

ITT: retards that know beforehand they will be asked for a VIN and complain on the internet when they are asked for a VIN

>Hi, welcome to ExpensiveParts, what can I help you with
Hi, I'd like to place an order for a set of 12 spark plugs for a Mercedes. Plate is DJ47386
>Alright, do you want the inhouse brand or the NGK's? We recommend the inhouse brand
The NGKs please
>Alright, you can pick them up at your local store in two days

Two days pass, and I walk up to the desk of my local store

Hi, uhm, I ordered a set of spark plugs for my Merc, under the name Strand
>Oh yes, here they are
>*puts a bag of six spark plugs on the counter
I think I ordered a set of 12, and these are the inhouse brand
>Did you? I'll go check that out right away

A few minutes pass while he is on the phone

>Uhm, it appears they didn't have your spark plugs in store so they sent just the normal ones
Alright, but I also ordered a set of 12
>It says here you ordered a set, and since the engine is a V6 you have just 6 spark plugs
Sorry, but my engine has two plugs per cylinder
>I don't think thats the case, I've never seen or heard about one of those. Are you sure?

At this point it all just became me trying to prove that my engine actually had 12 plugs, as if it would be a criminal offense to buy 12 plugs if I only actually needed 6

>go into parts store to get spark plugs
>need to pass penis inspection before they ask for the VIN number

Strand a qt name desu

>walk into parts store
>I need a this and that for 1995 whatever
>guy just gestures toward the book and the shelves

>bring 8 year old daughter into parts store with me
>mom wanted a steering wheel cover for when it gets cold out
>let daughter walk around and pick out something cute, knowing I'm gonna buy my wife gloves as well to keep her hands warm
>daughter finally picks pink steering wheel cover with flower print
>it's adorable
>get to the checkout
>"Just this, thanks."
>"absolutely, just gonna need your VIN quick."

You sound like fun to have at a party

I work at a parts store. Advance auto.

I keep the "Vin card" in the deck unless I need it for an asshole customer or to look up paint codes. If you're being an ass and want me to double check, I'll ask for your vin (yes, i know you'll have to go back outside and get back in line and wait again). If you don't know what year your vehicle is (more common then you want to know) I'll ask for our vin. If you're some uppity housewife and come in to the store to make my life hell, I'll send you back home for your vin even if I don't need it, same goes for grouchy mechanics and teens who try to brag about what shitbox they have or how much they know, asking for vin always stops them in their tracks. 05 chevy? Vin please. Old muscle car but you don't know what size engine you have? Vin please.

Also, if you're an asshole, I AUTOMATICALLY don't have your parts in stock. You can either go across town or wait a day or two (unless it's fdo), I can be a dick too, and a bigger dick than you, I have something you want, don't get lippy with me.

Oh wow you sure showed me

>Old muscle car but you don't know what size engine you have?
You can run non-standard vin numbers.

That was supposed to be a question.

Not only that but when you call again, we can look you up by name and pull your VIN again and already have your car's information (at least in the system we use) ready to go so you can order what you want faster.

Sounds like you all are just repeating a story you heard once and adapting it to make it sound like it was your life.
The only times I have needed a VIN at the dealer was when I was getting keys made.
Every other time I can either just tell them the model and year, or I just bring in the P/N by itself.
Just because you're buying a part doesn't mean you're putting it on a car that it came from the factory on.

>Teens who try to brag about what shitbox they have or how much they know, asking for vin always stops them in their tracks.
Guess what fag I keep a copy of my insurance card in my wallet and it has my vin on it.

>Hello this is Tom Bush BMW Parts Department
Hi, I was wondering if I could get a ignition tumbler for my 1989 325i?
>Yes, that's an E36 or an E30?
It's an E30
>(Mumbling to himself)
>Who cares how many doors
>Who cares if it's convertible
>Alright yes we can get an ignition tumbler made to your vin, it should be about $80 and take 3 or 4 days
Thank you sir I'll come in in a few days to get one made.

Surprisingly the BMW parts Dept is the best one I've dealt with. (Aside from Subaru who just gives me free shit because my uncle works there)

No one cares

Quality post!

They always ask for my plate number

5 years ago this wasnt a fucking issue, literally no one ever asked for VIN unless it was in for service.

I had an EM2 and bought plenty of dealer parts durings its lifetime. Always looked it up by model, and year.

you're talking to people that have to deal with auto-illiterate normalfags all day, they're assuming that at least some of the info you gave them is incorrect.

just fork over the damn VIN

Carpet color, body type, etc.
And it's easier with the VIN when it just filters all the irrelevant options and shows precisely what the car has. What if you needed more than floormats and maybe looked for an accessory like a cargo net and whatnot?