Hydraulic Hybrid...

Hydraulic Hybrid, employing hydraulic pumps and pneumatic pressure to store energy recouped from a regenerative braking system – energy which is then released to boost vehicle acceleration. The result is a hybrid vehicle with no batteries. 20 to 35% Better Fuel Efficiency’?

>idle for 4 minutes in mcdonalds drive thru
>dies

It has been tried in the yellow goods sector, where most of the components are already there bar the large accumulator with limited success, I don't see it being very good for use in cars as hydraulic pumps and motors aren't super efficient especially at repetitively high speeds.

Danke, just looking for opinions. the seems to work on paper ?

no hybrids are good at repetitively high speed, the point is stop start traffic, accelerations, and harvesting braking energy
for highway cruising its all dead weight and drag

I don't think you get what high speed is for a hydraulic drivetrain, our 18t truck for example has a ~280hp engine and cruises at 56mph on the road comfortably, when using the hydrostatic drive system it needs all that power to hit just 20mph despite being a lower rolling resistance environment.

you don't think it's geared that way on purpose for torque?

No, the repetitively low coefficient of friction of steel on steel limits the torque output anyway.

Steel on steel? you mean the pump? An automatic transmission uses a pump.

I think it's the gearing you're experiencing and you're too ignorant to know how your system would behave with different gears and weight.

Turn your engine off?

you can. i wont be driving the greenpeace cuckmobile.

you know what I'm about, junior? performance. I live my life 9 seconds at a time (cause I never settle for double digit times)

Best Ferrari Hybrid
Best Porsche Hybrid
Best Mclaren Hybrid
Best Koenigsegg Hybrid
Um....OK

I like the idea
and get to read this sort of thing a few years early because of industry magazines
but don't think it is going to happen

>
my fucking senses. I'll sue you!

> just looking for opinions. the seems to work on paper ?
Pic related

it's a hybrid you mongoloid.
the op even said it boost acceleration not run the whole thing on it.

>Steel on steel?
No the drive wheels.

>I think it's the gearing you're experiencing and you're too ignorant to know how your system would behave with different gears and weight
Given I speced the pump, motors, gearboxes and designed the wheels you are clearly the ignorant one.

ferd da best.

yea that's the little bastard
everyone always commented that the air tanks would explode in a crash

an interesting idea would be to use pressurized fluids as energy storage only, and not propulsion itself.
>electric drive with a small battery/ supercapacitors
>energy stored as pressure in tanks
>released over time with a generator to keep the electric storage topped off
not sure about energy density of batteries vs hydraulic tanks though

This is the Cat hydraulic system, both Komatsu and Liebherr have gone for an electric hybrid system.

so like electric assist hydraulic steering?

nope you're ignorant

So on the one hand I have 2 degrees, a masters and a working life of hydraulic drive systems and experience on the other an anonymous poster on Veeky Forums, I know which one I'll trust and it's not you. You don't know what you are talking about and feel the need to resort to insults to cover your insicurity.

>insicurity
not that user, but your spelling is about as good as my father's, who incidentally has been in your field for quite a few years before starting his own business. maybe the mind sacrifices something to learn everything else.
what do you work on? My dad was in military contracting for hydraulic systems.

Why employ so much shit?

Just use an electric motor (which does 'regenerative breaking' as part of its inherit design) as a prime mover backed by a generator, same as diesel electric trains since the 1950s...

energy density while operating with zero emissions.

Rail construction equipment, mainly elevated work platforms and cranes.

>I am a cog in the wheel. respect me.
nope

in fact now that I know you wasted money in leftist brainwashing, I now see you as a nigger.

hydraulic accumulators have even worse energy storage that lead acid batteries, so that wouldn't work.

What could work is storing air as a liquid, because energy density would be much better, it works as an inbuilt air conditioning and you can use fuel as a range extender of sorts, used to expand the air many times more than ambient temperature would allow.

The main challenge with those systems is long term cryogenic storage (way too much insulation required) and designing big heatsinks to warm up air that won't take up much space nor will clog up with ice from condensation.

It would probably be easy to adapt for buses though, considering a few of them are being designed to work with LNG which is pretty similar overall.