Carmax AMA

I appraise cars at Carmax. Ask me your questions.

No, I don't know exactly what your car is worth without looking at it. I could probably give you a ballpark.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AO71AbW5RTo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>2005 STI
>60k miles
>flawless paint
>interior is mint
>plenty of service records
>zero damage
>I know what I got
How much?

Who's the hottest female you work with? Let's get some creepshots.

Carmax isn't the place to sell your specific car, IMO. They'd turn it around for wholesale as they wouldn't resell it. You'd see $15000-$16000 likely. 2006 is the oldest they'd resell, and the company's not generally interested in cars they can't resell.

Dealerships acquire 2005 STI's from one another for about $16,000. Hence the offer. The private market for that car is definitely the way to go. A mom and pop dealer that would resell it would likely give you closer to the $18,000 mark if they knew they had a customer for it and you were buying something else. You could private party that for almost 20, easy.

Anyway, nice car.

My office is all dudes.

Thanks figured that'd be the case, I have no plans of selling but I'm sure plenty of boyracers would pay 20k+ easilly

what do you think of Doug Demuro and BUMPER TO BUMPER WARRANTY

>Doug Demuro
Literally who?

Carmax gave me $1,200 for my '01 Civic. It had a huge dent in the side from a deer and one of the wheels bent to shit. Wonder where it is right now lol

to give more doug related questions, how much would you offer for his Dodge Viper? he was offered 25k for it and made a video

youtube.com/watch?v=AO71AbW5RTo

Doug pls go

why the fuck are people always shilling this paid-by-the-autoindustry fag here? are you the same shills that shit up this board with the trump shit?

I wish doug would come to my location so I could drive his shit. He seems pretty realistic about what he's getting into. I think he's using the warranty right, he's definitely got more out of it than he put in. Definitely gonna need shit like that with a land rover.

Junkyard dudes show up to our wholesale auctions all the time. They buy it for less than the cost of all the individual parts.

I just watched that video. Probably less knowing that I live in an area where it's snowy for much longer than where he lives and it's a less affluent area. Offers can change depending on where you live. Some cars are worth more in different areas.

He's alright. Better than anyone who regularly appears on Motortrend/C&D/R&T.

>Junkyard dudes show up to our wholesale auctions all the time. They buy it for less than the cost of all the individual parts.
So you're saying it's probably parted out? No one is listening to eurobeat in my Honda?

I mean, go with what your heart tells you.

I took that advice before and now I'm on a sexual predator list

Well, you'll be happy to know that being on the sexual predator registry doesn't affect your offer at Carmax.

How are the carmax warranties?

Lifesavers for some cars, unnecessary for others. If you get a german/british car that is notorious for driveline issues, it can save you thousands. If you have small quirks with typically reliable cars you may not get your money's worth.

Admittedly I don't see a lot of the warranty stuff because I don't deal with sales too much. I've got it on two of my cars, if that means anything, and I didn't even get a discount on them.

How much extra is the warranty on a car? And is it an extended 5yr/60k?

How does it feel to be the Gamestop of car dealers?

What's the worst condition car a person has brought in? Do you ever have to reject any?

Depends on the car. A Camry is far cheaper than a 335i. For a 5 year one to last you that long you're generally between $1200-$5000, depending on the car.

Good. The benefits are dope af. Wouldn't want to do anything other than the appraisals and auctions, though.

Never rejected a car. That's kind of one of our big things. I did appraise a 94 Civic in which the floorpan had a volleyball sized hole through it and the driver side was smashed. The engine smoked. It was fun. The shitty cars are always the more fun ones.

I also appraised a 4 Runner with a dead dog in it. He had put it down, and was on the way home to bury it, but decided he'd stop in quick for an appraisal first.

1991 non turbo diesel toyota hilux 310k km smooth 33" tires and an orange rolled-on paintjob
Comes with semi leathered BMW seats

Lol. I wanna buy a junker Corolla, smear dog shit on the dashboard etc, then try and get Carmax to take it. Maybe vomit in the trunk.

Kek and kekked.

>km
There isn't a carmax where you live, duder.

Do it.

I know
I paid 420k isk for it btw

>420

ayyyyy

How much do you make? Are you drug tested randomly?

Enough that I'm middle class now. And they test when you get hired and then never again.

In your opinion, what do you think the best deals are at CarMax? I know you they fix their prices nationally so what could be overpriced in one market is perfectly fair in another, but by-and-large what is the best thing to go onto a lot looking for?

The newer/lower the miles, the less margin we have. The high margin is on older/higher mile stuff because we sink A LOT of money and time in to fixing/reconditioning cars.

So 2015 inventory with like under 20k miles is going to be best, as far as acquisition to sale. Homies looking at 2008 GTI's may be served to look to buy elsewhere if price is the main concern.

Although we're ridiculously picky about our old shit and we offer warranties on them well above 120k, so our stuff is generally super solid. Generally.

I'm out, duderinos. Maybe i'll come back in a few hours and answer stuff you leave here.

Any horror or general green-textable stories?

Didn't he say he appraised a car with a dead dog in it?

How much, minor hail damage in hood/roof, would depreciate the trade-in (or private resale) value on a 3yr/o top trim econobox?
Body shop quoted 1.7k for the repair. If the car is "after rain dirty" is difficult to see it up close. Apart from that it's pretty much in pristine condition.

TL;DR: Should I fall for the metal sheet jew?

Texas fag?

Trade in, about $1,000. That seems like an honest quote for a hail job from a body shop or whoever. 1.5-2k is the general range for that private party. We get crazy prices from dent wizard so we don't back up AS much for that.

Private party sale will hurt more because whoever buys it is inheriting the full retail cost of that fix.

If it happens to be a Civic then maybe it's not that bad because the company is in a hurt for more Civics right now.

>Appraise an 09 CTS with the dash lit up like a christmas tree.
>190,000 miles on it, somehow.
>Limp mode, won't go over 25mph
>Note on the appraisal sheet that there is and engine issue and a transmission issue.
>Now, the trans was likely fine and the computer was limping it, but we had to make the extent of the issue clear to the customer.
>Customer claims that the vehicle is fine, wants to speak with me
>No problem, business as usual
>Explain that there is a major issue causing the vehicle to work like it is.
>She wants to show me that things are fine
>Sure.jpeg
>She drives, I sit shotgun.
>She pops the trans into slapshift mode.
>At about 30mph, you can hear the rods knocking
>at 45mph the entire car begins to shake
>she slapshifts into 4th
>I tell her to pull over
>She does.
>Happen to have code reader with me this time.
>Misfire all cylinders, Crankshaft Position Sensors, Camshaft position sensors, etc.
>Ask where she drove this from
>She says a town two hours away.
>Tell her she needs to drive back to the store under 25mph.
>She wants to prove the car is "fine", goes like 45 again and the engine is shaking on the mounts.
>Have her pull over, I get out, start walking a half mile back to the store.
>She flips me off, takes off.
>100 yards later hear a huge pop and the engine spills it's guts all over the road.
>I smile at her when I walk past.

>Appraise like a 2016 CR-V or whatever.
>We don't even bother driving cars under manufacturer warranty.
>Do the appraisal, whatever, customer leaves.
>70 year old lady comes back about an hour later.
>She claims I siphoned her gas.
>Tell her I didn't, obviously, and that I didn't even drive the car.
>Inform her we have cameras all over the lot.
>She wants to see.
>Manager and I pull up the tape
>Only I saw the vehicle and the gas cap wasn't ever even opened.
>She turns around, puts a finger in the manager's chest
>yells "You're in on it, too!"
>she says the dude that just changed her oil at jiffy lube says we "Definitely siphoned her gas."
>Go out to her car
>Fuel gauge barely under full
>lsd tabs in the passenger seat.

You go, granny.

>Customer calls
>Asks if we appraise "Collectors Cars"
>I say yes, ask him what he's got.
>He says 1984 Corvette
>I say, "Cool, but what's the collector car?"
>Got written up for disrespecting a customer.

I could speak for days about corvette customers. Literally the worst subset of humanity.

>Dude with like a 2005 BMW 330i
>Wants to ride along on the test drive
>No problem, never usually bothers me
>Check engine light, of course
>Run codes, misfires cylinder 2 and 3.
>Get up to like 3000rpm and there's an obvious lack of power
>Customer starts panicking and saying I'm going too fast
>Freaks out, tells me to slow down anytime I get over 3000rpm
>Get back to store after taking like 2 minutes to go a mile
>Complains loudly to the store manager that I was speeding and revving the engine excessively
>Dude was trying to hide his misfires by acting like I was revving the shit out of his engine
>Manage owns a 330xi
>Knows they're slow as fuck
>Kicks the guy out.

>Appraise like a 2004 Ford Explorer
>Backseats and back area are filled with garbage bags of peanuts
>Salted peanuts in clear garbage bags
>Like, at least 15 garbage backs of peanuts.
>Do the appraisal
>Ask the customer if she sells peanuts or works for a distributor or something
>She says, "No, we just like them."

Sounds like you deal with a lot of mental illness and con artists. I hate people.

Most people see their vehicles as an appliance. You get used to dealing with the crazies.

Every dipshit that has a 24% car loan gets appalled that their car isn't worth what their payoff is after only a year of ownership is convinced i'm a rip off artist.

How does carmax deal with cars that have a missing title? My brother bought a 2003 Focus ZX3 from a melanin enriched gentleman who says he bought it at a police auction.

Basically the dumbass filled out a bill of sale and never got a title for it, then I helped him drive it across the country on temp reg- so its completely untitled and unregistered.
Is it possible to sell it?

Lol no one would pay 20k for that. It's almost 10 years old.

>>He says 1984 Corvette
>>I say, "Cool, but what's the collector car?"

holy shit

If you work in a position where you have to deal with people you'll find out pretty quick this is the average gene pool these days.

We'd make you go get a replacement title at the DMV.

I'm pretty confident someone would, actually.

what would a 43,000 mile 2014 mustang GT base model with a new engine put in by ford with 2000 miles run for?

it has a genuine shelby wing on the back

Got any stories when the customer was really good?

Is it really a "no-haggle" policy? That just wreaks of Jew

10/10

$20,000 up north
$21,000 down south

Give or take, depends on that region's needs.

It's really no haggle. Carmax isn't for car people that are good with negotiating. It's for Moms that need a 3rd row Highlander and are afraid of dealerships.

Appraised a Fabspeed modified 911 Turbo. Guy said "feel free to go nuts." I did.

and what would the price be for the mustang if the old engine didn't an hero?

Oh, I know.

Used to cashier at a grocery store
>super busy night because a tropical storm is approaching
>whole shift is just endless lines of people
>this lady throws all her shit on the belt and asks if she can go grab something she forgot
>I'll be really quick she says
>literally standing there for like 10 minutes waiting for this self-centered bitch to come back
>can't check anyone else out because her shit is on the belt
>CUNT

Used to work outside at a country club / golf course
>one of the members marches over and starts screaming at me about how one of his clubs went missing yesterday
>I wasn't even working that day but he still insists I know where it is
>goes and tells my boss he doesn't want me handling his clubs anymore
>I hate boomers

Same. Engine works, that's all we care about.

How does it feel to suck Satan's dick for a living?

Probably the same. Telling everyone you blew up your engine isn't exactly a selling point.

it's still under 5 year 60k mile warranty ;~;

I don't work in sales.

>Telling everyone you blew up your engine isn't exactly a selling point.

I didn't fucking do it. It started knocking randomly one day and ford said one of the heads were bad. They just replaced the whole thing

We'd sell it for like 22-23 grand. If it makes you feel better, after reconditioning we'd likely make less than a grand off your car.

Oh, and one more from when I worked at Target

There was this black lady who flipped out because she wanted to buy a certain baby doll for her daughter but it only came with white skin tone. I don't make the dolls, I just work here you dumb bitch!

1990 legacy sedan
215k ish miles
AWD
engine mechanically sound
manual trans
working power everything
"""custom""" sound system (nigger rigged by myself (unprofessionally))

cel comes on if driven over 3k rpm or 65mph for extended periods (im guessing it has to do with the hole in the exhaust which also makes the car very loud)
doesn't actually affect the way it drives and mechanic is not worried about it
cel turns off on its own most of the time and isn't there when started up
struts basically worn down to nothing (drives like a boat)
under carriage (slightly) caved in from being beached on a snow bank and being pulled out of a ravine (separate incidents)
paint obviously shit
rust spots on fenders and hood
left fender has multiple dents
interior plastic bits falling off from 27 year old adhesive
left reflector lights held in with packing tape

so what do you think i could get for it

>i know what i got
>no low balls

How do you guys deal with car with mods vs stock?

I would think you guys would give more for a stock car, but who knows.

Also do you guys tend to pay more for sporty cars, or is it really dependent on what's on your lot? For example is a ST, WRX, BRZ more likely to fetch a good price than a camry?

$300 tops. 1990 bro, you're selling it to 2015 Camryville.

Modded cars always fetch less. We revert mods back to stock for sale.

And we compare like to like. BRZ prices aren't compared to Camry prices. STI's are compared to other STI's to see what people are paying for them and what they're being sold for.

Wouldn't you be pissed if you brought me a Focus ST and I was like "Yeah but you can get an Accord for this much!"?

>Wouldn't you be pissed if you brought me a Focus ST and I was like "Yeah but you can get an Accord for this much!"?
yeah but I meant more in a way like if i brought my wrx in and you have 20 camrys on the lot and only 1 wrx, would you guys be willing to work more on the price (in my favor)?

We'd offer you what the latest auction and purchase data says is the most we could give you for it. And what the needs are. Inventory is looked at as an entire region, not just the immediate store.

If we're crazy low on WRX's, sometimes we'll bump the price, but it's because we know we have buyers for them, not because the seller wants more. A car can be worth less or more to different people. Car values are oddly not objective.

No haggle, homie.

1980 Australian Chrysler Valiant

what are imports worth in murrica land?

ah ok thanks that makes sense about the regional thing.

Unless they're documented as properly imported we don't appraise them.

Yeah, it's mostly because anything within 250 miles is a free transfer, so an entire area can be considered one inventory.

Where are you located? I might actually be interested depending on what you really want. I'm looking for something that runs and drives that I can restore into my own image.

how about private party?

>in my own image
woah what
is that you jesus?

Yes, my child?

hey man
y-your dad isn't real ya know

But if I'm my own father and my father isn't real... That means.... Oh me.......

How well are the new Mazdas holding value? The 3, 6, miata...nothing else they offer matters.

The 3 is alright. The 6 sucks. Miatas have a high floor, regardless of condition they also do good cash.

What about classics?

They don't have a car on their lot older than 10 years, so they presumably get bumped to auction immediately.

Are AWD Lancers as shit as they say?

I know car dealerships sometimes will sell a car just to move it even though they might lose money. Does carmax ever do these types of sells or do you make money on most of your cars sold?

Defo not the place for classics.

They're alright. Nothing to write home about other than cheap AWD. Get one in a manual and you're in a decent spot. Cheap parts, cheap fixes.

We lose money on cars with some regularity. Many newer cars hit the lot with less than a grand in margin, so any price drops usually puts us in the red on a car.

How often do you drop the price on a car?

2006 cts-v, good condition 109k miles for $10,000 flat. Am I getting a good deal?

What's the most unusual thing brought in for appraisal?

How much would I get for a 2015 Mustang GT 6spd Base Coupe w/12,000 miles?

Asking for a friend

Pretty good deal. I have a 2007. 2006-07 have the LS2, the differential was beefed just a little. The interior is cheap, I'd imagine at that price the plastic trim is flaking it's paint. The weakest link is the rear differential and the Bushings/motor mounts.

Thanks for the info.
>black
Good taste, best color for that car imo. Mine is pic related, but oh well

Does it have a sunroof? A CTS-V is a great way to get into the performance crowd without being too boy racer and practical on top of it.

How much above/below the Edmund's True Value appreciation does CarMax typically offer?

I'll ask him.

Yeah I just graduated college last year and got a job in my field (marketing analytics), have some money saved up and wanted to upgrade from my 2004 cavalier (5 speed at least, my first car).

I wanted something professional and fun (specifically a 6 speed manual, rwd and v8), and something that wouldn't be stupid expensive to fix and maintain, 4-door vette fits the bill.
>bonus: my brother in law has a corvette with the exact same engine, so he can help me out a bit since he's more familiar

>rwd
>556hp from supercharged corvette v8
>6 speed manual
>wagon
My fucking dick

It'll be a huge upgrade. Enjoy!

Have another

How the fuck do you find CTS-V's for a reasonable price? Every time I search for one in my area they're all newer ones for like 60 grand or some shit.

I searched CTS-V all miles of my area and cheapest one was $66k. Wtf is that? Am I searching wrong?

These are first generation. 2004-2007. They have non supercharged Corvette motors, no fancy magnetic ride suspension and such. Wayyyy cheaper than the 2009 and newer versions.