Toyota makes a driver focused car with amazing handling, rwd...

>Toyota makes a driver focused car with amazing handling, rwd, manual and a spiritual successor to one of the most iconic car
>lightweight
>isn't stupidly expensive where only the 1% can buy it and never actually drive it
>has a huge aftermarket
>Veeky Forums shits on it because it doesn't have 800hp

Other urls found in this thread:

roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a18334/scion-fr-s-tire-transformation/)
youtube.com/watch?v=MM2JpJGoiv4
adcentre.com.au/wp-content/uploads/13FFX_CS002_Mazda-31.pdf
theaustralian.com.au/life/motoring/mazda-targets-the-mx5-sportscar-at-gen-y/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's an overpriced brz

Lol nvm thought this was a new Supra hate thread

>Toyota makes a driver focused car with amazing handling, rwd, manual and a spiritual successor to one of the most iconic car
>lightweight
>isn't stupidly expensive where only the 1% can buy it and never actually drive it
>has a huge aftermarket
>Veeky Forums shits on it because it has 200hp

I'm sorry, I love the BRZ/FRS, but your OP is just retarded.
The car would have benefitted from having 250-300 hp instead, that's for sure.

It also looks pretty ugly compared to the original AE86 though

i'm just surprised they didn't offer a higher HP model as an option.

I beat one in a first gen forte koup at the strip.

If an ecobox can beat you with less power you got problems.

then it wouldn't be a spiritual successor to the ae86

No
>Veeky Forums shits on it because they can't afford it.

>20k car
>Cant afford it

>Buying into Tsuchiya's bought marketing meme scheme
dream on dagumi :-D

I mean you might have just been a better driver

Ok? A fusion can beat an ae86. They're not made for the same thing lol. Take your ecoshit thru some corners. Inb4
>lol butt hurt frs owner
Speed3, lemme smoke your econoshit.

all they had to fucking do was give it a JZ engine or a fucking turbo.
but no. they gave it an NA boxer4 engine.

The miata is faster

it needs more power
better off buying a used s2k
and i don't mean like 100hp
just like 30-40

It weighs nearly 3000 pounds dude. It's not a successor in any shape or form

>Speed3
>smoking anything other than it's morbidly obese owner

Fuck you poor people are disgusting. You can only have 2 of these: reliability, affordability and performance.

Either they up the price to give it more power (reliable, because they're not going to sell something that breaks down and ruins the toyota reputation for reliable) or they do what they did.

You niggers are so fucking cheap and dumb you don't understand why toyota did what they did.

No fucking shit it's anemic and needs more power, it also needs semi-slicks.

All of that shit costs $$$$$$

I suspect most of the people unaware of this really are black. They are genuinely upset these things were not factory, when if they had the money they could just go buy them and throw them on right now.

But they don't have the cash, because they are niggers who can barely afford the car as it is.

it weighs 2800 pounds
thats extremely light for a modern car

I don't see it passing safety regulations at all

Excuses, a sports car should have no excuse to getting beat by a economy car

>1994 mx5: 2300lb, 0-60 9.8 seconds
>2017 mx5: 2300lb, 0-60 5.8 seconds

explain this

but it's not getting beat
is your only judge of a good car raw hp?

This excuse doesnt really fly when there are many affordable turbocharged engine on the market making more horsepower.

So a Miata has no excuse to lose to my V6 Passat?

It literally got beat on the track.

by a ford fusion?

>Veeky Forums shits on it for being underpowered
>never mind the original 86 was also an underpowered hunk of shit

You lot are a bunch of morons.

Why did you make this thread? Everybody already knows that.
But the miata has 155 hp and nobody shits on that. This is just the 2+2 coupe miata.

Back Then:
>AE86 GTS - 112 hp
>1986 RX7 - 160 hp
>1986 MR2 - 118 hp
>1986 Starion - 150 hp
>1986 300zx v6 N/A - 160 hp
>1986 Supra - 161 hp
Today:
>2017 BRZ/86 Flat 4 - 205 hp
>2017 Challenger v6 - 305 hp (Same price)
>2017 Mustang v6 - 300 hp (Cheaper)
>2017 Camaro v6 - 275 hp (Cheaper)
>2017 WRX - 268 hp (Same Price)
>2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe v6 - 348 hp (Cheaper)
Let this meme die. 86 is more underpowered today than it was back then, and is most expensive to boot.

i like the FRS/BRZ and would rather have one over v6 mustang, camaro, challenger, or genesis because it's smaller, lighter, better handling, and better build quality

inb4 triggered autistics try to argue

It's also slower on every track by a sizeable margin. To each his own I guess.

Good post. I copied it for future shitposting.

autism right on cue

>fractions of a second
>"sizeable margin"
as if any of you faggots are race car drivers who have any hope of even coming near those times anyway? have you ever even driven on a track in your life?

160lbs 5'11, try again m8.

Its not a spiritual successor to the 86

the AE86 is literally just a higher trim of a fucking econobox. The BRZ/GT86 isn't based on an econobox at all

>minutes behind every other car
>fractions of a second

>Jokes on you I WANT my sports car to be slow!
I don't hate the 86, I think it's a good car just not worth nearly what they're asking for it.

Its not driver focused at all. its MARKETED as one but its not in any way. First off if it was designed for enthusiasts, tuning and shit why is the ECU encrypted?

second its certainly not fucking made for any kind of drifting shit because "the tires are low grip" They're all -seasons you retards.

Third, why the fuck does an enthusiast, driver focused car have a massive torque deficit that hinders acceleration and speed?

>But the miata has 155 hp and nobody shits on that. This is just the 2+2 coupe miata.
because the miata wasn't advertised as a driver focused enthusiast car.

>300 pounds lighter than regular sedans and shit
>super light dudes!
not light enough to matter

>because the miata wasn't advertised as a driver focused enthusiast car.

the delusion is strong in this one

>mfw Toyota gives it shitty wheels and tires and markets it as "easy to break loose"

Post a fucking advertisement or a demographic of where this sub compact dinky roadster was ever advertised as a "driver focused enthusiast car"

where did they ever say this?

>inb4 "going fast within the speed limit"
>muh seating position
>it feels good (based on nothing)
>forming baseless opinions with no merit
>it wasn't designed for that even though thats what enthusiasts care about

what's your opinion on the miata? more expensive when you equip it with 6 speed and LSD, nearly identical performance numbers

but ofc you are just repeating the popular Veeky Forumspinion because you're a casual and can't form your own

why does the BRZ/FRS trigger this board so much? it's honestly hilarious lol

also i'm going to take that as a no, you've never been on a track in your life

Camaro V6 is 335hp actually

275 is the I4T

have you seen a mazda ad lately?

That's because it has the legacy to back it up.

>Veeky Forums shits on it because it doesn't have 800hp

No, Veeky Forums shits on it because it cost more than $5000, and so they can't afford it. This is why they continue to slob over NA miatas with half the power but screech autistically whenever the BRZ is posted. It's a modern, more superior version of what they drive. Sour grapes

The phenomena of the GT86 stems from a huge realm of misconceptions and people who can't take hyperbole into account so they make extraneous claims and strawman because they're retarded.

The problem with these garbage 86 threads is that there has never been, will never be, and won't be any discussion about the car at all. Everyone of these threads sparks a gigantic shitpost war and it ALWAYS starts with the OP's garbage bait, erroneous suggestions and baseless opinions. Every time someone disagrees with these fallacious statements you're met with some shill(s) who will call you a bench racer for casually using normal and typical metrics for measuring a car's performance and analyzing it against competing cars. Everyone does this, even casual drivers who look for value in their car. They'll then default to another retarded position where the only argument they'll make is "well it wasn't designed for that" or "thats not the purpose of the car". They'll feign an illness of sorts and claim everyone else is attacking them all the while plugging their ears to any legitimate criticism with "nanana boo hoo stick your head in poo poo bench racers" ignoring every flaw or any downside. The 86 is pseudoperfect in that the shill will NEVER claim its perfect but will denounce all flaws and claims with dogshit responses.

The real problem with the 86 is that its advertised as some sort of driving car meant for moderately enthused drivers with the blind intent that it LOOKS fast therefore it must BE fast. This is where the fucking controversy lies. The huge flaw in this car is that its overhyped for what it is. Its severely overpriced for the performance you get which is what enthusiasts give a shit about. But don't say that other wise you're a bench racer. This car (according to shills) is designed for "pseudo enthusiasts" or some conglomerate of stupid casualism and mild elitist dogshit that merely pretends to give a shit about things enthusiasts actually care about.

now post weights
do it

>Its severely overpriced for the performance you get which is what enthusiasts give a shit about
can someone PLEASE explain to me why you all cry so much about how overpriced this car is, but nobody complains about the miata, which is has significantly LESS power and is MORE expensive when you option an LSD (which the FRS/BRZ comes with stock)?

It's like everyone got all hyped up for the BRZ/FRS and then it came out and everyone hated it because it was too slow... then they get all hyped for the MX5 and it's got 45 less hp and costs more, but nobody says anything???

First point is the 86/brz is overpriced, which it is. Numerous people come to an agreement that this is a grand flaw due to the poor price/performance. If the car had something a little more to offer, or was a little cheaper the flaws would be overshadowed by a preferable price point. But its not, and any attempt made at discussing this flaw is always met with "FUCKING BENCHRACERS WANT 800HP" not even fucking kidding, this isn't a strawman, even the OP here used it because hes one of these people looking to start a 400 post shitpost thread.

Second flaw is raw performance. This car has been around for what? 5+ years now? and Subaru/Toyota in those 5 years of cooperation wouldn't cooperate to fix that fucking torque canyon everyone talks about that severely plagues the car's performance? "pseudo enthusiasts" will claim it doesn't matter because they're only interested in cars to the point of cosmetic features and feelings rather than objective metrics that REAL enthusiasts look for. Simple fact is that this has been an issue for years, toyobaru doesn't give a fuck because retards will buy up this car regardless because all toyobaru has to do is market correctly. To their own advantage they're entitled to that, they're a company advertising a product yadda yadda thats the way it works. Putting on the grown up glasses reveals this huge sleuth in the car and its makers and any reasonable enthusiast would avoid this car unless buying used, which goes without saying.

Second, the car clearly didn't have enthusiasts in mind when they gave it an encrypted ECU or all-season garbage tires. This isn't enthusiast at all. Sure you can just swap the tires and crack the ECU but still, pseudo enthusiasts don't care and shill relentlessly for this claiming outlandish shit like "it doesn't need tuning" or "the weak ass tires are meant for drifting" which is actually a pretty high end enthusiast sport in driving that clearly this pseudofucker doesn't even do.

tl;dr holy shit that's a lot of autism

>You can only have 2 of these

Wrong

Because the miata isn't advertised to real enthusiasts. Miata threads never devolve into constant shitposting every fucking day. Miata threads keep to themselves, they have lengthy guides about miata's. They have their own dedicated fanbase that is exclusive on Veeky Forums. The BRZ/86 threads have NO established fanbase that secularizes itself to a single thread. It doesn't have elaborate guides or discussion general details. They don't even have anything to contribute. Just to bait, spark controversy, and collect (you)'s by making up strawman to force.

Miata threads don't generate the raw amount of controversy these 86 threads make by fucking far. Its always full of idiots who claim the 86 is all high and mighty then shill relentlessly against dissidents causing 400 post threads that did absolutely nothing but regurgitate the same shitposting from 2 hours ago.

You fucking call me when 86 threads cement themselves to a single established thread and not bait like this fucking thread is.

Miata is a gay car and doesn't pretend not to be like the BRZ

You like the car, I get it but don't waste time making threads like these.

>Isn't low cost at all
>Has terrible build quality
>Terrible weight distribution for the type of car it is.
>Unpredictable steering in wet or even dusty roads
>Terrible interior
>Rides like a brick on wheels
>Very poor power to weight ratio
>No practical use in everyday
>Not good on fuel economy
>In 2017 Manual isn't a selling point anymore
>Makes around 195 HP standard
>"High end" versions add more plastic and no changes to performance or handling not even suspension.

I've driven this thing it's a huge disaster and they know it is. It's a marketing gimmick jap companies have tried to glue together. There's no race league of this thing, no rally version, no long term value. It's literally parts from old cars and other divisions made into a new car which is awful. The 2016s and 2017 suffer from cooling issues in the heat and under stress. Also if you abuse the engine it will eat its own oil.

I own a 10th gen CVT turbo 4 door civic and I smoked one of these at the light to 90 and back to the light with time to spare.

>Veeky Forums
>actual track bike

pick one, the only racing these guys do is in forza

>Because the miata isn't advertised to real enthusiasts.
oh my god my sides are bursting from this hairdresser's delusion

A street bike is nice too

No fuck you because its all true.

Everyone of these fuckers who shill for the 86 does absolutely nothing to create meaningful discussion. Often times these threads have NOTHING actually to do with the 86 because the shitposting is so fucking thick.

These shills aren't interested in ANY enthusiast anything. They aren't interested in the aftermarket they claim the 86 has. They aren't interested in any of the metrics that enthusiasts care about because they vehemently scream against that under benchracing. Its so hypocritically obscene its not even funny, its low effort wasted shitposting. The same retards who claim the GT86 is "founded on the principles of the AE86" when really the GT86 has so much subaru parts in it, its 90% subaru and only 10% toyota. Its a fucking subaru engine in a subaru chassis with virtually subaru everything. The AE86 was basically a higher trim of an econobox. The GT86 isn't anything but its own car. Stop making these dogshit baseless claims because you watched Initial D 10 years ago and thought it was fantastic when the AE86 was more profound before any of that.

>TRIGGERING INTENSIFIES

please, continue

But you are literally a bench racer. You are bench racing lap times of cars you don't own on the internet. You don't race anything in real life.

>The GT86 is made for driving focused enthusiasts
>the GT86 has an amazing aftermarket
>but talking about specs and metrics is benchmarking even though the people who are truly driving focused and are enthusiasts who buy aftermarket parts do care about specs and metrics.
>The miata is just like the BRZ!
>even though the miata demographics aren't aimed at boy racers
>even though the miata isn't advertised on a street performance platform
>even though the miata doesn't pretend to be a fast car
>even though the miata isn't even ADVERTISED as a fast car.
>lemme post this erroneous advertisement where a universally targeted picture of a guy enjoying his drive in his sub compact roadster with "drive matters"
>because "drive matters" as an umbrella term is totally synonymous with the performance area the BRZ was falsely pointed towards

He's right though, Miata's a mostly driven by old people, women and people wanting sporty without any sport. Mazda don't have any good cars. Their biggest hit was the mazda 3 and it a disaster on wheels. Now I see people in CX-3s everywhere and it's very much shit even in 4wd.

wow bro you could qualify for the olympics with those mental gymnastics

>you must own the car to see the huge flaws in the selling point and make of the car itself
>you must be a bench racer.
>the aftermarket is great for people wanting to make cars fast
>but if you wanna make cars fast you're a bench racer.
>the BRZ can be made fast!
>but wanting the BRZ fast makes you a benchracer
>you don't race
>even though you see the poor racing potential
>although I'm blowing past the realms of the hyperbole its my job to shit post as hard as I can with the same tired garbage as a non-argument

Only the 1% can buy it you autistic Fuck. If you can afford a sports car, you officially are in the 1%

I don't like the fact that the BRZ is so slow and garbage, so I used the wide array of aftermarket parts and tools to bolster the speed and performance of the car.

But apparently me wanting this makes me a bench racer even though the car was proportedly advertised to enthusiasts

No? oh only "enthusiasts" who care about shitposting rather than the real enthusiasts who care about performance. Because its not about the car, its about shitposting as hard as you can to the point it doesn't matter if the argument is entirely backwards and hypocritical.

wow i really underestimated the amount of pent up autistic rage that Veeky Forums still has for this car. so you admit you're a bench racer and the lap times set by pro drivers are irrelevant to your casual self?

I love my BRZ, it is truly the ultimate drivers car. As in if you're a bad driver, you're fucked.

>If you don't know how to launch and shift properly you'll get smoked by a nissan leaf

>Autotragic version is significantly slower, doesn't get the new sporting package or engine/rear-end upgrades this year either

>has a mode that disables all electronics without having to pull fuses (pedal dance drift mode)

>You can slam shift to pass people without heinously breaking the speed limit

>Has a adjustable shift light/buzzer stock because lol ricer

>put some rubber on it and beat a WRX and a Mazdaspeed in a slalom course (roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a18334/scion-fr-s-tire-transformation/)

What I really find addicting about this car is that it has the heart of a shitbox, you can give it 110% all the time and have a blast in it. Its not the fastest, but it has charm that I've yet to feel from another new car.

It isn't the spiritual successor to the 86; it's weight and size are pretty average, it's not barebones, and while not expensive it isn't dirt cheap.

The S-FR will be the true spiritual successor the the 86 and even Toyota knows that, hence this video youtube.com/watch?v=MM2JpJGoiv4

They're hipsters

you're fucking retarded

>you're a benchracer for exploiting the benefits I mentioned affirmed by me because I said so.

Do you retards not realize that you literally agree with each other? What are you even arguing about? Everyone in this thread thus far has agreed that It's a shit car

>Because its not about the car, its about shitposting as hard as you can to the point it doesn't matter if the argument is entirely backwards and hypocritical.
Yep you got it, i really don't give a fuck about the BRZ, I've just been shitposting about it because watching you sperg out super hard is fucking hilarious.

I don't even like cars lol, I race bikes

I'm not sure who the brz and gt86 was supposed to be marketed except those with money to burn and no clue about cars. I see alot of asians in them where I live. The leather driving gloves wearing kind of asian. I never saw one in winter since it's unusable in those conditions.

For the price you can get a wrx which you can abuse the clutch like no body's business and nothing happens to it. It's even not that bad on gas.

Hell even the 2016 and 2017 normal imprezas are better. as an overall car.

First two things you said was "enthusiasts" and "aftermarket" literally the two reasons we have such shit cars in the world.

see:
Or any ad for the Miata, or any Mazda for that matter, outside of the meme gay pride image that gets posted here (not a real advertisement, more of a one-off attempt to gain PR favor).

For the past 20 years, most Mazda ads have focused on driving and ZOOM ZOOM, even after the death of the RX-8 and the rise of compacts/shoebox shitheaps and the soccermom CX-9.

I was actually going to get a BRZ but I ended up getting a manual Accord Sport because it was more comfy and is actuallly faster than a BRZ lol.

Who exactly is the miata marketed towards? because its certainly not in the same demographic as the GT86

>literally the BRZ main competition
>not in the same demographic
not sure if this guy is just lying to himself or actually retarded

They're hipsters

They aren't real car enthusiasts. They only know enough vocabulary to talk a whole lot about things they don't understand.

Unlike people who genuinely don't know, these people are worse. They don't know but will spew utter nonsense to such a great extent that they refuse to acknowledge how wrong they are.

Real enthusiasts, the ones who dyno their cars, do tunes, regardless if they actually race them or just drive hectically on the streets, are the ones who don't buy the BRZ.

the miata has been around for over 20 years, the miata was not created for competing with the BRZ. The BRZ came way fucking after. They aren't even in the same class of car, they don't even have the same demographics

but please tell me how this umbrella advertisement "drive matters" is the same as the erroneous marketing toyobaru does to sell a gimped car to boy racers who pretend to be fast. Because the miata isn't advertised on being fast at all. Its a fucking sub-compact roadster

You know that boomer in your area that tools around in his S2000 or older Miata on the weekends?

That's who they're marketed to. 40-55 year olds, and the occasional yuppie "enthusiast" driving it as a daily to work and back. GT86 aims for a slightly younger demographic, mid-20s generally. That's the main difference really.

That's why the GT86 fails (and works, perversely). Its main target demographic (millennials) both know nothing about cars, and don't even have the ability to buy them without loans.

You do none of these ever. I dread to see what your clutch looks like.

to soon, you can use that line for shitposting about a car you've not driven in a year or two

It need a better engine note that better doesn't mean more powerful. If by some miracle they could have a malaise era v8 while keeping the same weight the car would be better.

It's a car that's too pure and good for Veeky Forums a car Veeky Forums needs, but does not deserve.

>there's an old white guy driving the new Miata with the top down on my way to work every morning

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Because it reminds them they're worthless neets who will never have nice things because they're worthless neets.

Well, Mazda's marketing scheme worked on another one.

My 60-year old uncle loves his NC miata (the worst one, lel).

>That's why the GT86 fails (and works, perversely). Its main target demographic (millennials) both know nothing about cars, and don't even have the ability to buy them without loans.
Exactly, they're fucking hipsters with buyers remorse

>if you are old you cant enjoy driving

Wht did the millenial mean by this???

miata's are faster

Explains why the recent Need for Speed game had the scion, brz, and gt86 versions marketed to death in game and well how the game things people who like cars are.

>if you want to calculate a good tune for your engine, you're a benchracer
>I'm not a bench racer, I'll take credit for the study of others, oust them, then claim victory

>2JZ
>not Beams 3SGE

>That's who they're marketed to. 40-55 year olds
actually the target demo is males 25-44, but nice try with your alternative facts

adcentre.com.au/wp-content/uploads/13FFX_CS002_Mazda-31.pdf

theaustralian.com.au/life/motoring/mazda-targets-the-mx5-sportscar-at-gen-y/

these autistic kids will do anything to convince themselves that the BRZ is shit and the MX5 somehow isn't despite them being basically the same car