Mystery Fluid?

Hi Veeky Forums,

don't post here ever but figured maybe someone could help suggest something.

I've got this mystery fluid covering about 1/3 of my 96 Subaru Liberty/Legacy's engine.

The fluid doesn't have an odor or colour and I've always guessed it is water. As far as I'm aware this has been going on for at least 4 or 5 months with no actual issue for the car's performance besides dirtying the front left wheel.

The car was serviced about 2 months ago and the only suggestions that I think could be linked to the issue was a recommended engine degrease and brake fluid flush. Otherwise the mechanic didn't mention anything about the fluid.

I'll post some pics. Thanks !

some of these are awful photos I know but if you look hard you can see the fluid on the car, collecting dirt etc.

Looks like your coolant is mostly water.

I can't tell where the fluid is coming from either, it is just sort of there and rarely seems to drop below the car either.

Cheers mate - so I should replace it with just full on coolant liquid?

Is the mystery fluid coming from my car's coolant system?

Final image

Since it's an old subaru I would guess oil. But it's hard to tell anything from pics

Looks like you're losing oil.

Cheers mate. Is it kind of a normal thing for old Subaru's or is it something that direly needs to be addressed?

I'm pretty good at regular oil checks and it's got a new oil filter put in recently if that means anything.

My guess is if it mainly collects on metal surfaces, it's probably water from humidity. Mixed with dirt and whatnot.

Thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciating it.

Also for the record this car has nearly done 200,000 miles/311,000km. Is this going to be an issue going forward or will it survive?

Is your A/C condenser on that side, by any chance? The fact that you called it a "Liberty" makes me think you're in Aus and would have been running A/C for the last few months, and it could be condensation from the outside of your A/C condenser.

I am indeed in Aus, but the A/C is never run as it needs a regas. I've always got it off and drive with my windows down instead.

A lot of old cars will leak or seap a little bit of oil. It's not dire as long as you keep an eye on your oil level. This is all assuming it's just oil of course.

Cheers mate!

Use a tiith pick or stick to scrape some of that gunk then put the stick in a tray with water in it.
Rainbows = oil or trans/transfer case fluid
Hazy film = coolant

The easiest way will be to degrease & dry the engine then throw foot power around until it sticks to fresh fluid. Should narrow down the leak spot. But my comple novice guess is from that red tinge on the bolt and bracket it's probably power steering fluid or trans/transfer case fluid.

Could just be a breather being caked with shit and blowing oil dust everywhere.

Just clean as much as you can, keep an eye on it see where any new oil accumulates.
Likely a breather or something, could be rings - who knows.

cheers mate. will give this a try

Did some work on my mums car the other month, tiny leak on the right cam cover and the power steering reservoir has a seal that gets hard and leaks - could be both, looks more or less the same as under her 96's hood.

Taste it. If it taste bitter it is oil, if it tasted sweet its coolant. If it taste sour its power steering fluid, if it taste salty its brake fluid

cheers mate. Is that an easy fix?

Subaru mech here in the united states, looks like you're leaking power steering fluid (ATF) an AC condenser freon. Also looks like oil. Check those head gaskets nigger