Hot hatches

ITT: We discuss hatchback autism.

What hatch do you have? What are you looking to buy? What's your favorite hatchback of all time? Why do you like them? etc.

I've been craving a Golf GTI for a while to use as a fun daily driver. Getting rid of an expensive mistake of a 2013 Jeep I bought last year with thankfully no further loss. Not longer after signing the buyer's remorse set it and I still wish I'd just gotten something fucking used and cheap. Long unrelated story, bad idea, but that's over and now I have a strong taste for these cars.

Have my eye on a few used Golfs and hopefully I can pay cash for one soon. Also looking for a Civic Si but they're nowhere to be found. I might be talked into a nice Focus SVT if I can find one but they actually seem about as rare as Si's for some reason.

Anyway, discuss hatchbacks.

Other urls found in this thread:

willtheyfit.com/
houston.craigslist.org/cto/6060024030.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Love my ST. Things I've done in my first 7000km

>drive it hard through Toronto traffic like a madman
>get at least a foot of air over a crest while going 190kph
>got sideswiped by a French Canadian and had to get a door + sideskirt replaced (extra panel gap makes me mad every time I see it)
>hydroplaned over a puddle on a wet track and had to get towed out of the mud with 2 other cars
>hit 80kph while 2 people sat in the trunk with the hatch open and their legs hanging out the back
>fit 5 adults (all 6ft or taller) wearing full military kit inside of it
>drove along a walking trail at night on a dare, which was just wide enough to fit my car
>drive for 2 hours on backroads with snow over a foot deep (pic related)

It's been good fun. Still need to break my previous speed record, hit the drag strip, and put it on a dyno. I've done a bit of stuff to it

>full Mountune MR230 kit (turboback, intercooler, tune, intake)
>Mountune short shifter + Boomba shifter/transmission bushings
>Mountune rear motor mount (don't recommend, sometimes rattles)
>Rokblokz mud flaps (fuck salt)
>Firehawk Indy 500 UHP tires

Everyone thinks the painted calipers/stripes/interior lighting is aftermarket but it came pre-riced

Hot hatches are a huge step up from 150hp sedans that I'm used to, but I'd like an actual sports car with RWD next

I've wanted a Golf R or GTI for the longest time too, but recently did more research on them and found that their clutch slips a lot (even with everything stock)

That's the worst Golf GTI ever made, and the slowest, so I hope it's not one of those that you're hankering after.

I think the standard GTI (N/A) makes about 115hp!

The only reason I like hatchbacks is because they're the only modern non-sport car design that doesn't look like dogshit

>hatches
I have a 2006 Seat Ibiza with a 1.6 L I4 16v engine, it's decent bu t I would love to have the 1.8 L I4 20v Turbo.

>What hatch do you have?
Punto
>What are you looking to buy?
Abarth punto
>What's your favorite hatchback of all time?
Punto
>Why do you like them?
the best

Give up on the hatch and buy a hot wagon instead.

I have a '16 FoST.
It's pretty nice, though I feel it could use a bit more power sometimes. Fortunately mountune exists....

What are the best years for a GTI? First I've heard of this. One of them I have bookmarked is an 05 like the OP but the rest are all older.

Actually, second worst, 3 gen was worse.

Apparently, 1,2, and 5 gens.

also, 4 gen is not bad as a car, it's just not great at being GTI.

>t. 4th gen driver

Oh really? Wasn't this one more of a heavy fatty though? I don't know, but I do know it's pretty shitty.

I'd mirror what the other guy says, 1, 2, or 5

Although 1 & 2 gonna be fairly expensive for a good one these days.

I own two microscopic hatches and get shit at work for driving small cars.

Interior space is pretty good despite the small size, and they're much easier to park than most other cars.

maybe for burgers 4th gen was worse since you got 2.slow instead of 1.8T

I'll look for a 5th gen then, thanks.

Noice CRX m8!

Just remember to check for rust! one m8 of mine had a 5th gen, was plagued by rust.

2009 MKV is objectively the best of them, it has the TSI engine used in the later models as opposed to the FSI engine used in the earlier years of the MKV. None of the age issues associated with the FSI happen.

I like volvos

Confortable, practical, safe.

Right now i have an 2003 xc70

I didnt expect it to be so potent.
The engine picks up to 100 in a heartbeat. Thats just the middle of the of the dial.

And with awd snow and mud isnt a problem

>Hot Hatches
>XC70

I will be getting this in the next days. I deliberetly chose the 155hp version because >multiair
Its very comfy and surprisingly has a lot of interior Space, unlike my current car. Im not worried about reliability because I work for fca. Anything to look out for when buying one?

>Mk4 gti
>hot hatches

mate they aren't even room temperature hatches

The mk3 was a worse GTI, although the 2.slow isn't a bad engine. It's simple, economical and pretty much unkillable, perfect for a daily ecobox. Just not very fitting for something with a GTI badge.

>have
BMW M135i
>want
No idea. What other hot hatch cars are RWD with a 3.0 straight 6? The new BMW hot 1 will be awd with a transverse 4 pot. Every hot hatch will be like this eventually so what the fuck do I go for next? I don't like the awd meme but every car will have them, or they'll be fwd which I fucking hate. The BMW is likely to be the last ever rwd hatchback, so I'll likely have to go coupe if I want to stick with rwd.

Its too bad that the 1series look so shit..

Mk6 gti here. I'm nearing 60k miles now and it hasn't given me a single problem. Very fun and practical car.

Work done: Unitronic stage 2 tune, Unitronic turbo back, Unitronic cold air intake, R8 coils, Autotech dogbone mount, stoptech street brakes & rotors, and Toyo Proxxes R888R tires for the track.

what's that little filter for?

catch can?

I honestly don't know. I was told it was some kind of breather for some emission thing that the CBFA engines have.

Also,is that pcv that's all cracked up?

And why is there a hose barb with no hose on it?

I don't buy cars for how they look m8. Besides the interior is a nice place to be.

>What hatch do you have?
Opel Astra (J) OPC 2014
>What are you looking to buy?
Nothing right now, in the future i want to get a BMW M2.
>What's your favorite hatchback of all time?
Opel Astra (J) OPC
>Why do you like them?
Fun and practical.

Fiesta ST here. Just over 1 year old now and ~18k miles.

I think i'm pretty much done with modifying as it's my daily. I've done the following:
-Depo intercooler
-Cobb rear motor mount
-Drop-in filter
-FSWerks short shift (transmission plate adapter)
-Accessport
-Stratified tune

along with some minor cosmetic changes like adding dead pedal.

I just put my summer tires back on yesterday, excited to regain that hyperactive puppy turn-in. I will need new summer tires in a few months and have been looking at the firestone firehawk indy 500's and BFGoodrich G-force sport comp-2. Anyone have any experience with those tires?

Its insulation

volvo c30

it's basically a ford focus rs

>it's basically a ford focus rs

>ford focus rs
LAMo i meant st, not rs

whatever

>it's basically a ford focus rs

fucking christ that is an ugly rear end.
what the fuck happened to volvos design.

i disagree. i think the thicc is the best part about the c30 desu

its an 11 year old design. the new hatches look way better

>What other hot hatch cars are RWD with a 3.0 cyl6
>what's the new Giulietta

>new Guilietta
Might not even happen, and if it does it ain't gonna have a V6 in it.

>>what's the new Giulietta
Not out yet, that's what.

Getting a turbo one of these soon.

Idk why I like them so much but I test drove a 2016 one the other day and I really liked how it shifted, how it handled, and the ammentities that came with it.

Found a used 2013 for 10k. Going for it.

>Veloster
>Hot hatch
Come on user.

Thoughts on the Focus SVT? The car you never picked in Need for Speed Underground 2 because it looked like a mom car so you always started with the Miata instead?

I love this car, and if given a choice between this and a Civic Si, I'm not sure which I'd choose.

Try an ST first. The steering/shifting/handling will be better, I guarantee it.

Its a lukewarm hatch.. but if you really like it, then go ahead.

Too expensive. Cheapest one I could find without 300 miles is $16k. My budget is 11k.

I've tried a bunch of them, but I wanted something newer and I liked the one I test drove a lot. Idc if it's not as performance oriented as the other, since it's mostly going to be something that gets me from a to b anyway.

it's decent for the price desu

Within 300 miles*

>owns based CRX
>get shit at work for driving it

america

I'm liking my Indy 500's, and I've read people on the forums say they feel grippier (wet and dry) than the SC2's.

I got them in 205/45/17, but I think 205/50/16 might be better.

you have them on the FiST? I was thinking 215/45/17 on stock wheels to get a little more width. If I were to get new wheels I'd probably drop down to 16's though and do 205 or 215/50/16.

Hey Im a guy that's into mk4's. If I'm correct in what you're talking about then it's the breather for the secondary air injection system. It's some smog bullshit. Mine is deleted.

Yeah that's it

willtheyfit.com/

According to this, you'll get a 5% speedometer and gearing error going from 205/40 to 215/45. May feel a tad more sluggish due to the larger diameter. Rubbing MAY be possible, especially if you decide to get lowering springs.

Yes, I have a FiST

That looks like an RS, UK got those.
I have an SVT. Its decent.
Performance parts are dwindling at this point.
I just like the car, size, handling and EAP interior.
Easier than all hell to work on, too.

>mud
>parker on some flaps
>problem solved

>fwd

That's a wagon, silly.

>autistic fwd complaining
>Posts wagon

Murica!

Should I care about resale value if I'm going to be owning a Fiesta ST for 5 or 6 years? I mean, I imagine a subcompact Ford would depreciate like a rock, and would be worth

yeah I wish there was more available in 205/40/17 or 215/40/17. Just not many great options in those sizes unfortunately

Falken Azenis RT615K+ comes in 215/40/17. They have incredible grip, but without being as noisy/unforgiving as RE71R or Direzza ZII Star Spec.

Tire rack's testing on those is quite poor and has worse treadlife than the indy 500/sport comp 2's.

2005 Civic Si, 2.0L I4, manual 5-speed, 174k miles, $3900. Price just dropped about $600.

Worth it? I can't find many used Si's, maybe 4 within 100 miles, and this one is cheaper than most of them.

Volvo never made good looking cars.

They've just evolved their style to be modern but ugly on purpose.

>Thread about hot hatches
>No mention of Renault
disgust

Considering buying a Mk4 GTI as a daily driver even though a few anons warned not to earlier in this thread. Of the big 3 early 2000's hatchbacks (civic si, focus svt, golf gti), The GTI is by far the most available and affordable used. Probably the weakest as well but I'm not going to be racing anyone in it. As long as it's fun to drive and I can slap some stickers on the back so I can larp as a street racer I'll be good.

At least get a 1.8T or even a VR6. You know, for fantasy street racer cred.

Definitely. I actually found a VR6 that I really like and it's not far and pretty cheap. There's a few 1.8T's near me but
>automatic
What a waste of a Golf.

Is the "hot hatch" the oldest auto meme?

no, that would be "electric car"

The term hot hatch was coined at least as far back as the 80's. When did electric cars become a thing?

NEVERMIND, fuck this post, changed my mind. I found a Mk5 with the tartan seats and I want it. less than 100k miles too. They don't list the price though, have to email for it. This is the one I have my eye on now, though.

XIXth century

I own a MK4 GTI like that as my own cheap daily. Great car if you have a few working brain cells and an internet connection. Demand to see proof of timing chain work (mileage if more than 110k) and check the lower control arm bushings.

houston.craigslist.org/cto/6060024030.html Guys I'm interested in this is it a fair price ive never purchased on Craigslist how much should I offer. I have a 2013 fusion that I daily and a work car that I drive every two weeks so I want this to just to have something to work on and make it fun. Yes I can work on cars I'm a tech at a German stealership so that's a non issue

Damn, that is very nice. You could probably get him a little under $4000 but I wouldn't let it get away for a few hundred bucks.

I would have gone with giulietta desu, there are few minor nitpics, but nothing serious desu, best to look at Alfa Romeo forums online. Honestly extremely helpful bunch, and will give you a lot of advice. Two sparks liked a lot of oil, but I have heard lot of praise for multi air thus far.

Thanks for the reply dude I will try to give give him an offer and go from there don't know much about these cars or the price point so I wasn't sure

Well I don't either, I'm just going by the little research I've done into Focuses. Been mainly looking at Golfs and Civics. All I know is that there is ONE Ford Focus SVT for sale within 100 miles of me and it's got over 200k miles on it. So they seem kinda rare, especially with low miles.

The one you linked has definitely been riced so I would make sure the guy didn't fuck anything up. And ask around a bit more on Veeky Forums for anons more knowledgeable about the specifics.

I want a Focus SVT so much so but they're just impossible to find.

Any opinions on the Audi A3 S-line?

Oh ok yeah there is another three available around here in Texas love in Dallas but two are rebuilt/salvage and the third just had the pistons put in and rebuilt all are asking for 3500 to 4000 but this guy has low miles and clean title so I wasnt sure and if any other anons with svt focus knowledge wanna chime in I would appreciate it

What about it in general or you wanna buy one and what year

Never been a fan of the full black aesthetic but this is still pretty nice. Yours?

>that hip to waist ratio

Fit Sport.

Handles great, good gas mileage, takes curves like a champ, based VTEC.
0-40 is super quick. 40-60 can be a little slow.

I'd be so into this as a 3 door hatch. Still pretty nice though.

?

Here's a nice Volvo hatch. 120 hp seems decent for 90's but it doesn't seem much when compared to that other Swedish manufacturer.

>145+ hp in late 70's

And then there's all the later stuff.

>tfw your cunt's car culture is centered around hatchbacks

id buy one if the insurance wasnt so much for an import

>SR20DET, arguably the best because of its rally peformance internal improvements compared to the sr20s from the silvia
>Altezza AWD
>180kw from the factory
>shares parts from standard n14 pulsars, meaning most parts are extremely cheap

I want a pocket-sized Evo 6.