Why did they give it only 205hp?

Why did they give it only 205hp?

Seems like a reasonable placement within the range, and for the initial version. Maybe there were constraints on engine design and specs as well.

It could use a little more go juice, but really only when you floor it for the sake of flooring it. Honestly I'd rather they do something about the torque dip because 95% or more of the time you don't even bother winding it out.

so it wouldn't be faster than Subarus vape mobile

I don't care about the horsepower it should have just cost much less than a V6 mustang.

>it's a meme thread episode

Easier to control while drifting.

This guy has literally admitted to just making these threads to shitpost. Don't reply.

Cost as well. I wouldn't have even considered full price for a new one. As a cheap modern toy car that doubles as a part-time utility machine, it's reasonable.

HOOK line and sinker

Why does it cost $28k and why doesn't it have AWD?

Because partnerships are costly.

The point was to see if they could cost-share a RWD thing that might pay for development costs.

That makes sense. But why would they give it some meme boxer engine then?

What did he mean by this?

>why boxer
Part of striking a Toyota-Subaru deal to test a concept.

To be honest you can feel the low COG. The thing is pretty planted in front as an offset to not really being front-engined. Had a whole bunch of stuff strapped to the roof the other week and barely even noticed the wind.

Low hood and low center of mass.

A rock has a low Cog too. Doesn't mean shit if it's slow

>if it's slow
That's the thing. If you want something fast then there are plenty of other options.

If you want something that you can fling around and juice now and again while living your mundane life, then, well, this is an odd duck, but it kind of hits the checklist if the price is right.

Jesus you guys are idiots, scroll up and see this was a bait thread from the beginning. You are literally arguing with OP

I'm not arguing with anybody.

For instance, I gave mine to a valet / rich-people taxi friend of mine to see what he thought. No, it's not a fancy car by a long shot. But what did he say?

>this is 2L?
>that's crazy, they don't usually make these cars with out an I6 or V8. This is 4 cylinders?
>ha ha
>wow this is punchy
>oh, I miss RWD
>ok, I'm going to light it up on this hill

It's about bringing back the simple pleasure of driving. This is a guy who sends me eloquent criticism of top-end AMGs and stuff like that.

if it had an enterior up to par with even a fucking civic, i'd probably buy one, but it's poverty tier tbhfam.

I had to punch the passenger-side door a few times to make it stop squeaking.

But if you're thinking it's a car for people who want a plush interior and a rolling couch, you're going after the wrong thing. I'd rather it not have a stupid computer thing in the dashboard and instead the rear suspension could handle a speed bump gracefully.

>But if you're thinking it's a car for people who want a plush interior and a rolling couch, you're going after the wrong thing.
It doesnt need to be lexus tier, but at least take it up to econobox tier

>this whole post
Keep em coming toyobaru fangirls lmao

It is a modern econobox, even by MPG for what it is. Ever driven an original econobox from the 80s?

Like I said, the price point is the main thing. If you can get a limited for pennies and it has heated mirrors, heated seats, the AC works, dimming rear view, fucking red lights in the footwells that make you feel like a silly ricer? Well OK. I guess that's funny.

That's way beyond 80s shitboxes.

>80s shitboxes
I'm talking about current econoboxes
pic related is a current civic. 20k gets you heated seats/mirrors, auto dual zone ac, LED daytimes, apple carplay/android auto, and a pretty quiet cabin on the highway.
i'm not asking for luxury, and i know it's about the driving experience, but a little extra attention to detail/build quality would go a long way.
the BRZ's screen is just kinda slapped into the center console, it looks so chintzy and cheap. either put a decent system in there with carplay/android auto or just leave it out entirely

>20k gets you heated seats/mirrors, auto dual zone ac, LED daytimes, apple carplay/android auto, and a pretty quiet cabin on the highway.
That's not the market segment for the people who would consider a BRZ, and I didn't spend $20k for my decked out one.

But it is to some degree, because I would buy one if the interior was nicer.

Maybe. I would have taken a base model at an even lower price because the interior and its appointments are just icing on the cake for me.

It's fun to drive.

First of all, the 86 isn't even that light for what it is. Come at me with 2300 lbs and then we'll talk

Second, it's not affordable

Third, no one gives a shit about LSD. It's literally a meme.

It's not a miata jackass a RWD coupe isn't going to weigh 2300 lbs. It's priced just right you need a better job flipping burgers won't cut it.
>no one gives a shit about LSD
>it's literally a meme
Just when I thought you didn't know much about cars this just proves it.

>no one gives a shit about LSD
I'm not sure. It's stupid easy to spin the rear wheels without even wanting to.

But that only makes me wonder about open differentials I've driven before and how they just spun like bonkers at any opportunity.

>It's fun to drive.
Well no kidding, but I don't have money for a second car.
And I just moved not even 8 months ago, so nav or at least a screen to display gps is important to me.
It should cost 20k for a base, 23k for a premium, and 25k for a loaded model with carplay. Then it would be competing with the likes of the Si instead of the WRX.

because instead of getting an engine with a useable powerband they went muh hp/l.

Agreed! I found mine for about $17k.

>Come at me with 2300 lbs and then we'll talk

Fucking dumbass people on Veeky Forums these days that literally compare everything to the weight of a miata.

Look, this car is shit. Fucking slow with a Geo Metro interior. It can drive around a corner without tipping over. Wow. Good job Toyota.

if your tires are good, you don't need LSD.

My GTI has well over twice the torque and nearly 100hp more. I feel almost embarrassed for 86/BRZ owners.

because desu they're lazy

The same way they refuse to fix the torque canyon

Did you tune it? I hear you can get good numbers that way.

They don't give a fuck. Just like Nissan literally admitted the 370Z is not a priority.

I got a wrx for 2k less. Drives so much better, so much more torque, acceleration and way better handling because of the AWD

Also I live in NY so winters are sometimes brutal, I can't daily a BRZ in the winter at all

Is the clutch heavy? I hear it's annoying in traffic.

on a wrx? what kind of chicken leg do you have?

Wrx a great car, however it doesn't have better overall handling it's got its strengths and weaknesses but overall performance for the price is better

DESU the clutch is just right. Its linear all the way through and it catches about half way up so its perfect for my foot because I can plant my heel and operate the clutch fully without issue. It doesn't seem to be heavy IMO I think its just right. I never liked lighter clutches because while they were super easy to oscillate my foot would sometimes cramp because I can't "rest" my foot on the clutch when using it. The feed back helps my foot rest more and I get more precision.

i like the wrx interior more.
the seats on both suck. id go aftermarket for seats and have a great car

>it's not affordable

Yes it is you fucking poorfag. An AE86 or 240SX costed more in their time when you adjust for inflation, and both of those cars are shitty turds in comparison.

>It doesn't have better overall handling
says who? Says you? have you even driven a 2017 WRX? its fucking amazing, everyone bitches about understeer because they heard some meming retard say it. Its amazingly precise and I have no problem controlling it. Its not heavy at all, I don't feel like I'm throwing a car around. The grip is super high and I never lose torque, traction or any of it

Coming from someone who has only driven American cars, the clutch is paper weight light.

I want one, but their city MPG is kind of poop

Idunno nigger. Some review I watched mentioned it. I do some squats here and there.

Yea it is a downside, the STI is even worse but I'm getting about 25 in the city right now and 29 on the highway

205hp? What do you need 190hp for?

Here's 180whp

I get maybe 23 mpg in my IS350. Probably be like 15 if I drove like an asshole.

you are doing well.

Yea I notice it with my WRX. I can seriously kill the mpg if I drive super aggressively. but I think I drive well enough and the dashboard says I'm getting 25 so I believe it to a certain extent.

I only really like driving aggressive on these series of roads out in the suburbs, super hilly and windy. Its a 55mph road and theres no towns for miles so cops are sparse as shit so I can enjoy them a lot. But commuting to work and where ever I like to stay conservative as possible and I like to shift before 3500rpm

>Its a 55mph road and theres no towns for miles so cops are sparse as shit so I can enjoy them a lot.
its mostly farm land but sometimes the road gets dirt or gravel on it so I have to be careful, gets slippery even with slicks. Just bought it so I haven't gotten any cold weather driving or snow driving yet

it handles really well I drove a new WRX before I got my STI and can honestly say there is a difference between the 86 and the WRX in terms of how it handles. The WRX has a loose indirect steering while the 86's is precise and direct around a tight turn. The WRX handles high speeds much easier with its massive grip and weight holding it down my STI gives alot more confidence than my BRZ because of its stability but just doesn't leave me as assured as the BRZ around a turn with its steering. Oversteer isn't much an issue with the pilot supersports I have now but who knows maybe I'd get gar better results switching out the Kumo tires on the STI. TLDR WRX/STI is better deal performance car while the 86 is just a weekend toy for great roads

180whp wouldnt be bad actually. It's reportedly less

it can be as low as 170. The torque loss is about 25% at 4k

Nice downgrade

>downgrade
Explain

>65 replies
Jesus you dips

There's no stopping this thread too many replied, OP has an eye on the it and will continue to bump and create threads just like your picture shows. up to janitors to delete these thinly veiled threads

If the janitors weren't pants on head retarded this wouldn't be a problem. They're supposed to be knowledgeable about their boards FFS. This car is FIVE (5) YEARS OLD FFS

the clutch is overboosted and numb

But it's livable. The greater sin is the throttle. It's OK above 4-5kRPM but Jesus Christ way to put drive by wire on the ol' cross.

Go up 5 HP a year slowly getting better and better, just to get people to keep buying.

Can someone explain why the torque dip exists? Like in terms of engineering or whatever, why does it go down at those particular RPMs?

Highway cruising RPM. Emissions and furl economy cheat, basically. If you're going ham you'll be above it anyway.

>Highway cruising RPM
>4k rpm

It has 4.10s, so that's seems about right.

Yea why would anyone compare the GT86 to a Miata?

If your highways are rated over 55MPH you're going to be right in the 3-4kRPM zone. It works just fine even if sometimes you wonder if there should be another gear.

It's around town when the dip is a killer. Why did you pay money for to have fun when it's reasonable 2k-3k cruising and then you put your foot into it and it chokes. I like to shift gears as much as the next guy but it's stupid and annoying.

My gm shit cruises at 70mph at about 2.5k rpm

My old gas-crisis-era Mazdabox hung a about 4kRPM at 70. That was almost all it could muster until I cranked up the timing and reformed the shitty Hitatchi carb, but it was still geared reasonably for what it was and comfortable.

The torque dip is not comfortable.

A BRZ tried to rev on my 2014 Mustang GT today and I fucking giggled. Who are you fooling

Post related

That's funny because a GT tried to rev on mine and all I could think about was how I'd rather not share the road with a woman on her period. Eventually he actually stepped on the pedal and drove off.

Much better were the youths at the gas station with a modern big block something or other. The engine note was sex and they were clearly having the right kind of fun.

lol a decent sv costs like $2k, not a good comparison at all

Yeah that 4 banger probably sounded hella pathetic