206 kW (280 PS; 276 hp) at 6000 rpm

>206 kW (280 PS; 276 hp) at 6000 rpm
>Looks like a fusion between a supra/RX-7
>JDM
>Turbo

Why does the Mitsubishi GTO havezero street cred and generally considered a "gay" car? There's plenty of room for enhancements to increase max power.

If a show like Mighty Car Mods picked up one of these and did a feature on it, I think it would become the new MX-5.

Other urls found in this thread:

losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/6088115735.html
trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mitsubishi/auction-1308067466.htm
trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mitsubishi/auction-1290664068.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>generally considered a "gay" car?

The issue with this car is that it's the type you wanted to be able to buy when it was brand new or just a few years old, they are amazing cars that were very technologically advanced for the time they came out...the issue with this is that this does not age well at all. The cars are full of potential issues and problems.

Because they age like milk and they're impossible to work on.

Is it me, or do I only like the 3rd gen 3KGT?

Do you think it could be a thing for all twin turbos?
>Subaru's Legacy.
>Mitsubishi's VR-4 Galant.

None of them get the treatment their Single turbo counterparts do like the WRX, GSR/EVO.

Is it because
>muh boost at low RPM?

because the base model is complete ass and can't be riced up to be anywhere near a nice car

unlike base model or wrx impreza's can get STI parts, e36's can get M motors/parts, miatas can get turbos, etc. etc.

kids that got a base model GTO/dodge stealth in high school are stuck with a complete shitbox

>muh WRX with sti injectors, intake manifold and turbo with no tune.

>Why does the Mitsubishi GTO havezero street cred and generally considered a "gay" car?
t. when you buy a car without checking what strangers on the internet think of it first

Only the vr4 is worth a fuck and they are taxed to death.

The rest of them are na fwd heavy garbage.

>fwd based awd
>heavy as shit
>literally one of the most unreliable cars of the 90s

You mean these boats?

In New Zealand these are considered pov spec boy racer cars.

I would just feel like a lower class citizen driving one of these around, and I'm wondering why they're considered so gay.

Maybe because they do look like a Rx-7/Supra but don't have the get up and go like one. Maybe that puts people off thinking that the car is for "posers"

Is there no way to interchange some of the more unreliable components with say things from galants/lancers ect. I beleive you 'muricans call them "mirages"

No I mean the vr4 GTO/3000GT.

VR4 is the awd turbo model, SL's are the na fwd drive base models.

no, he means a 3000gt vr4, that's what they are called in the states
no. there are tons of stupid """futuristic""" tech gimmicks that break easily and aren't on any other car. the engine is the same

So the vr4 is the AWD/Twin turbo model of the GTO? And the rest are just pretty much POS'S?

Do these "futtureistic" tech gimmicks extend to the 3000gt vr-4?

Because it is the most unreliable of all the unreliable 90s jap turbo cars. There weren't enough sold so parts are rare. They are too heavy.

Most of the people in this thread are talking shit tho. 3000gts came in fwd and only the vr4 was awd. ie 3000gt/stealth are shit.
The gto however only came in awd and dohc, even the poverty spec auto na ones. The MR is the top trim 4ws turbo one and with the predecessor to the evo awd system (no it is NOT fwd biased) it is a very competitive gt car

I actually personally love them, the facelift with the combat wing looks awesome and the idea of awd turbo in a car that actually looks like a sports car and not like a 2 door luxobarge (read: gtr) is pretty awesome.

I bought a 300zx instead tho because they are just better in the real world

yes
yeah they are only on the gto/vr4
things like 4ws and active aero and others

I was thinking about this exact thing today. Good timing

Found this today
losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/6088115735.html
High miles I agree, but if this car had any other Prestige Jap badge on the front this would be 2x the price. VR4s are a huge steal right now... and when I was a kid I fuckin loved these 1st gens

So 3000gt vr-4 is what you want if you are going to go any where near one of these

Here is a Twin turbo, AWD, 6 speed modified version of one in my country going for about 3k USD. With less than 50k miles.

trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mitsubishi/auction-1308067466.htm

Any thoughts?

That's hwy I'm interested in them too, can't help but think they're under valued just because they're "gay"

>trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mitsubishi/auction-1308067466.htm

>Was originally a na auto and I fitted a 2nd gen tt and 6 speed

Unless they did a full driveline swap that things still fwd.

Wait nvm, only the us market got fwd gto's, but even still, the na awd transfer case and diffs are weak as fuck compared to what came on turbo gto's.

Since it was na it also won't have the active aero and all wheel steering.

Nice, that's killer. Here's a question- how much realistic fun could one of these be if you "alleviated" it of its awd, keeping it rwd?

it becomes a 3700lb uncontrollable death trap.

Yea, its shit

trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mitsubishi/auction-1290664068.htm

Here's a factory turbo, AWD, 6 speed for about the same price at 120k Miles.

I'm just using these as examples as I never knew these things were considered a "premium" in the states, these things are still considered "gay" here in New Zealand. That probably has something to do with the abundence of Skylines, Wrx's and evo's we have over here though.

Yeah, I'm not to sure I can't even really think of any twin turbo RWD japs to compare it too.

No see: There are no FWD GTOs

Only the 3000gt came in fwd

For clarification, the GT4 is the one with the electrics that will break and end up making the car cost more to own than a BMW.

You can chose the somewhat reliable base model with an anemic engine and FWD is a pretty shell, or the AWD TT VR4 with tons of electrical gremlins that will fuck your wallet nine ways to hell.

see

Already corrected myself

Lol galants are not considered boy racer cars in nz. They are fuckin poly trolleys and you know it.

Gallant vr4's are most defiantly pov spec boy racer cars. 2-3k for a turbo manual, slap on some dirty second hand BOV, and a wastegate and drive down T-straight on a friday night in true poverty style.

>gallant vr4
>pov spec in nz

mfw the same car goes for over 10k in the us.

fucking retarded backwards import laws man.

When ever those import laws change look to nz for cheap jap turbos.

There's cheap japas every where only problem is most of them have been owned by degenerates and are in pretty rough condition.

For example you can probably pick up a R33 Skyline auto 20e for about 1.2k USD

It's not just twin turbo thing, the 3000GT had a lot of electronic gimmicks like active aero and suspension stuff. It's these electronics that don't age well compared to mechanical stuff like turbos.