What went wrong?

What went wrong?

it had a rotary engine

Emissions regs. Too restrictive cats, not enough oil injection. Can't premix because it kills the fuel pump or something in 50000 miles or some shit like that. It wasnt the RX7 FE some people wanted.

Well, the engines tend to blow up, sooo....

Also god-awful Mazda "styling".

I almost bought one

>8500 CAD
>65000km
>owned by a Mazda mechanic
>knew about premix and other stuff
>just had engine replaced
>aftermarket spark plugs designed to last longer

Did I fuck up in not buying it?

This

I still really want one though. Am I retarded?

No. Do a cat delete, fit an oil injection system if you are worried about drawing from the crankcase, make sure the engine is good, and enjoy it.

fuck thats a nice car to pass up

Besides its engine being a two Doritos, it had bad mileage and performance was mediocre. Mazda never made a high-performance turbo'd version like they did with the RX-7. It's styling, while it looked good at the time, is of the trendy type that ages a fast as milk.

Unreliable and powerless engine for how uneconomic it is. Also there hasn't been any good looking Mazda in this century.

emissons regulations

basically it's same shit that VW tried to elude and failed miserable

People are idiots

Never heard of these oil injection systems. Are they heavy and complex? Is it a separate tank for oil or is it for two stroke?

>Engine needs replaced at 65k kilometers
>Even when owned by a Mazda mechanic

Sounds like you dodged a bullet

I just sold mine for scrap price. 2004 with 170,000 km on it. I couldn't sell it for $1500... I bought it in August 2008, just before the world economy went to shit, for 17,500 CAD. Least reliable car I have ever owned.

There is a lot to like about the car, but it's not a daily driver. Too expensive on gas, maintenance and easy of use. It would have been a decent 3rd car though.

Because in America there's no tax on engine sizes so there's no point when you can get so much more with a v8

Still buying an FC tho

Best handling car of its era, but all anyone can think about is TURBO TURBO TURBO.

You fucking idiots can't realize how expensive the last FD3S was. The RX-8 SE3P was an attempt at trying to bring sportscars back to the common man.

/thread

People hate on it simply because it isn't an RX-7. What they forget is that the RX-8 was a little over half the price of the RX-7 while being more practical and usable. It's a good car, just the RX-7 is better.

not enough triangles hidden in the styling

I think the biggest issue was they sold this to people who can't maintain a corolla

>>just had engine replaced
Nigga wtf is this piece of shit

>to the common man
TOPPPPPP KKKKEKKKKKKK

This is pretty much it, retards couldn't accept the fact it wasn't another 7. I imported a 07 from Japan to NZ a couple years back for roughly 4000 USD, still using is as my daily and still the original engine, I rape the shit out of it on a daily basis, people just need to fuckin learn to maintain cars. As for fuel, a tank gets me a week traveling 100km a day. Is it faster than my 2jzgte supra not a chance, but it is by no means as slow as people meme it to be

It was only half a second slower to 60 than the FD, I don't know why people claim it's a barge when it's faster than 66% of all RX7s

Rotaries can last for 100,000 miles (more with decent aftermarket seals), lots of people pre-empt that and do it early so they don't have to worry for a while. Even then once the seals go you just progressively lose compression, the thing'll still run though, most the "rotary exploded" images/memes you see come from fuckwits that were using cheap brittle Chink-built apex seals.

Mazda stopped being good around 1997

Pretty much this. The injectors on the early models were all cocked up so it turned out to be slightly less reliable than the 13B in the FC/FD in the long run, took until 2006-7 to fix if I recall correctly.

Basically, if you're gonna get one, get the most recent models, or you're buying a car that's worse than its predecessor in literally every conceivable fashion except number of seats.

nothing its a good car. Chassis has great potential.
Only thing making it less popular is lack of aftermarket.

Slap in fd engine and you have a fd that handles better.

Far too thirsty for the performance on offer. And dealers sold them as normal cars, i.e. they didn't tell customers that you can't do short trips in them and they use oil by design leading to lots of engine failures and them being branded unreliable garbage and most second hand ones being fucked.