I want an antique shitbox that I can get for cheap. Used to own a Beetle and loved it...

I want an antique shitbox that I can get for cheap. Used to own a Beetle and loved it, but want to try something different.

The trabant is cool but seems difficult to come by in the states, what are my other options?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yjbvrZVR550
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fiat X19

Looks pretty neat, do they sell cheap?

Makes me hard

if u live in europe get a ruskie mobile things are moving bricks, if in america try to get a brit mobile imported from the 70s those are the cheapest

trabant is hardcore plastic shitbox so I would recommend something else. e.g. Lada Niva parts cheap af and fun to drive off-road

>The trabant is cool but seems difficult to come by in the states
you could always import one, it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive and there are firms that can help you through the process. Also, it's generally cheaper to import vehicles two-at-a-time, so choose a second commie shitbox if you really want to get your money's worth.

I like cars like that. Simple and made of metal. Not a car that looks like a curve made love to a sack of potatoes. A simple shit box. Any models anyone can think of to look out for when it comes to easy repairs and cheap parts? Something with a small engine and a huge engine bay and minimal amount of bullshit extras.

I talked to a guy to buy a Trabant sometime this week. Wish me luck.

How much?

I have strangely come to like wartburgs

youtube.com/watch?v=yjbvrZVR550

I've always wanted to pick up a VW squareback or Volvo Amazon personally. Old Mustangs are a dime a dozen and extremely easy to work on as well.

Initial price said 450 euros.
Called phone he toned down to 400, after talking some more he said 350 come and take it.

Maybe once I see the guy face to face I may be able to jew them down a notch or too, if not 350 is good enough. By the voice it seemed to be a pretty old man.

Shit, wrong reply. There.

Not bad if it's in good condition, got any plans for it or just going to keep it stock? I've been wanting to make a city summer cruiser out of one for a while, convertible with a nice set of wheels and possibly an engine swap from anything else so that it runs a bit smoother and is better on gas.

imagine being an EMW or Audi engineer that built cars like pic related just to be forced to design 2-stroke commie crap a few years later.

man, good luck. i've been looking for EXACTLY what you described for years now and i'm convinced it doesn't exist.

closest thing is maybe a ford truck from the 70's or 80's.

As stock as possible really. Maybe hook up some discreet speakers and a headunit at some point.

I had once an idea how cool would it be to hook a RasPi to it and make it a smart car. Most likely I won't be able to do anything of this, but dreaming is fun.

consider the mg miget or triumph spitfire maybe even a classic mini

or if you have a bigger budget for a mgb gt or a GT6

Ancient mechanic here. All British cars of the era are fucking utter, utter, utter shit and cannot be made otherwise.

The Omnis etc Dodge sold often had the outstanding 8-valve VW four bangers used in Rabbits, but were better because they are not fuel injected and used a Holley 2bbl "Holley-Weber" style carb which are super easy to maintain vs. the stock shit Bosch CIS mechanical. I'm familiar because I used an Omni intake to retrofit my 1981 Scirocco which still lives with a new owner at somewhere well over 400K miles.

Early liquid-cooled VWs like Rabbit and Scirocco are terrific shitboxes with plentiful, cheap parts and are very easy to wrench on. Fuse boxes get wet but are easily replaced with an aftermarket modern blade fuse block.

Buy the Robert Bentley manual for any Eurocar which uses them.

Some Omnis came with a Mitsubishi engine. I'd prefer the VW by far for ease of everything but if you find a clean one go for it.

Fuck that unless you hate yourself to the level where you pay hobos to kerbie your nutsack.

It cannot be overstated how awful those models were. They killed the fucking British sports car industry almost completely. A Miata is everything they should have been. Paint a Miata British Racing Green and drive that instead. Not even kidding.

>Ancient mechanic here. All British cars of the era are fucking utter, utter, utter shit and cannot be made otherwise.
kek, you sound like my friend's dad.

Fiat 131

>antique
I dunno about antiques, but you can get a decent classic car for pretty cheap in America.

Most Trabant/Wartburg engineers were pretty proud of their achievements.
Given the conditions and what the cars should achieve, they didn't do a bad job either.

The fact that they were never allowed to replace them with modern (read: not outdated) versions even decades later is another story though.

Antique in America just means anything built before 1992