Hey Veeky Forums I have a few questions

Hey Veeky Forums I have a few questions.

I skidded in the rain the other day and hit a car in a intersection. Technically it was my fault and I don't have full coverage and only liability.

It was my first accident and I was wondering what am I suppose to do now? All the collision shops are closed today. Do I just have a tow truck take the car to a collision center and have them take estimates? It's currently undrivable.

Other urls found in this thread:

louisville.craigslist.org/cto/6098418694.html
louisville.craigslist.org/cto/6099647005.html
louisville.craigslist.org/cto/6098708732.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes, that is exactly what you do. Hopefully you know of a good place already to get work done, since its shitty to have to shop around when your car is already fucked.

Yup, take a day off to get over the emotional response and then ideally get 2 or 3 estimates. If you can't move it without a tow truck then that will be expensive. But if your first estimate is really expensive (if you can't tow it somewhere else then they don't have any competition) then it's probably worth some extra dollerydoos to get a second opinion (if they see you're willing to pay to have it towed elsewhere they're more likely to try to give you a good deal to snag you as a customer.)

If you have decent shops around they might take pity on you and try to give you sound advice.

Post pics.

You might just tow it to the junk yard and buy a new car.

That's what I did with my previous car. It gave me sads and feels, but really it was the only rational thing to do.

Here. Someone was working on the lights, so I think it had something to do with it. When the light just turned red, the other cars we already across the intersection. It was down 40 minutes before.

That looks a little bit expensive just from the cost of replacing fascia and body panels to make it look as new as it used to be.

But what really has me concerned is the way your fender is pushed in under the hood. Any pics of the engine bay? If that's all crunched up or your suspension is all bent up then you could have something more expensive than it looks on your hands.

I couldn't even get the hood up.

If the unibody is all bent to hell (aka "frame" as many would call it) then you might as well start to think about maybe looking for a new car.

Otherwise they're going to have to put it on a machine to bend it back in to shape, probably replace / reweld a bunch of key structural components, it will develop rust problems early even if they get it close to being the way it should be, there's a good chance you'll start to find stupid little problems that take a year or few to show up, etc.

How much do you think we are looking at?

I can only really put 2000$ in repairs.

I have no way to know without getting a closer look and looking up part costs, but I'm going to guess that's $2k or more just for the cosmetic damage, making sure you have a headlight that will pass inspection, and stuff like that.

If it can't drive itself around the real question is whether you just need to replace a few bent pieces or whether it's really fucked up.

not even memeing you should junk the Acura and get a 3k civic.

if it's totalled grab a wrench and start parting it out and get a new car, junking it will ruin your wallet, they mostly don't even give you money for that. With a part out you might could get ~3k in Parts so you can grab another Acura for 5k

thanks for the advice guys.She was an 02 so it was time to replace her anyway. I just wish it was under better circumstances.

what car do you have planned next?

louisville.craigslist.org/cto/6098418694.html
louisville.craigslist.org/cto/6099647005.html
louisville.craigslist.org/cto/6098708732.html

one of these.

get the focus, Zetec Engines are hella fun

civic

AVOID THE SENTRA.

my dad had one and all we remember is that we heard the undercarriage just falling apart bit by bit just driving on the road normally.

Well the engine doesn't look too bad

Little box thing falling off.

will do man.

Are you sure? Maybe I'm looking at that funny but it appears that the entire right side of the bay is pushed way in to the point your little box popped out.

That would mean it's ogre short of some serious shade tree mechanic type stuff to patch you up and put you on your way in a junkbox.

I'd tow to my residence if you've place to store it. Insurance adjusters travel to the wreck.

Don't disturb anything so the adjuster can price out the damage.

Do, if you can make more money selling or parting it out, consider asking your insuror about a buyback because they have to spend a fair amount of money to auction off the wreck via Copart etc. If totaled you can offer like 400 dollars for it because scrap cars aren't selling for much at all lately.

It's probably totaled but also keep in mind some mechanics can put a core brace on it and sort it out. They can be cut from another vehicle and welded in place. I used to do that for a used car lot.

Ignore non-mechanics and ask on Honda forums to determine what it's worth and what it may take to fix it. Radiator, condenser, core brace, bumper cover etc etc should be a total in INSURANCE terms tho.

It was only liability insurance and it looks like I will be declared at fault.Insurance company probably won't take a second look at it.