soundcloud.com/ethanb/the-grand-walk
soundcloud.com/ethanb/spets-suoiretsym
soundcloud.com/ethanb/frozen-rain-drops
soundcloud.com/ethanb/c-sharp-minor-stuff-2
soundcloud.com/ethanb/improv-on-june-5th-2013
soundcloud.com/ethanb/sailing-in-the-autumn-sea
soundcloud.com/ethanb/tracks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So who won DD13? Not counting Umbrella or Monolith, since they've been winning for 3 demo days in a row

>I missed demo day
FUCK ME
FUCK

It was even extended an extra day, user

Me, 'cause I got to play demos and watch streams of demos.

>mfw haven't posted a single game since demo day 1
Such is the life of a programmer with no art.

more demo day stuff

When It Hits The Fan: This is quite good for the simple thing that it is. It took a minute but I started to really get into this. Some clearer way of telling when you've respawned would be nice, as well as your health and when you need to "use a token" and when you don't and why.

Whimp the Bold: I really want to blame you for the bomb section, but I don't know if I should. Using the dash and then the hover works fine; I kept trying to hover and then dash because that made more sense to me and the text box didn't specify which order to do them in, and it didn't work at all, and I found that really frustrating. The "sprint" is not that fast at all-- maybe it's not supposed to be, but it feels pretty pointless. Other than that the controls were fine. I would increase how long it takes to die though-- it's a very drawn out sequence, especially considering how few frames it has, like a full 3 or 4 seconds.

JamOS: I'm not sure what's going on here. If this is a joke I don't get it but it's kind of simultaneously too much and not enough effort.

Frost: I really like what you're doing here. It seems like you already have a lot done and it works well. The volume of certain sound effects is really low, even with master volume and sound effect volume turned up all the way. When I plugged in an xbone controller the game didn't recognize it, and when I unplugged it the game crashed. Starting the game with the controller already plugged in didn't help. The way knockback is done is kind of annoying and it's too easy to fall off ledges. When I died I pressed Enter on one of the options and the game left me stuck as a corpse-- which brings me to my biggest complaint: It is extremely natural to press Enter to choose options, so I was constantly constantly exiting the pause menu when I didn't want to. This would've been fixed by using a controller if that had worked. This really is a diamond in the rough, please polish it!

more tomorrow

Aw, the OP art is so sweet and adorable.

I want to make a Morrowind clone. Where do I start?

i do mostly orchestral music if anyone is looking to colab. i'm currently working on an animated film and i'd like to start some more game related projects.

[email protected]
soundcloud.com/ethanb/ethanb-journey-live-recording233

soundcloud.com/ethanb/the-grand-walk

soundcloud.com/ethanb/spets-suoiretsym

soundcloud.com/ethanb/frozen-rain-drops

soundcloud.com/ethanb/c-sharp-minor-stuff-2

soundcloud.com/ethanb/improv-on-june-5th-2013

soundcloud.com/ethanb/sailing-in-the-autumn-sea
soundcloud.com/ethanb/tracks

Make first person hitter/talker/looter/interacter

>dream about getting paid for work
>wake up
>a janitor on Veeky Forums

can you trap influenced chiptunes?

Anyone happen to need a writer? I'm good at dialogue, flavor text, pretty much anything involving words.

>tfw making sprites while watching streams of Rotterdam riots, waiting for shit to pop off
Who /comfy/ here?

post samples of work

Looking for feedback on the reflecty white line thing.
Was going for a sort of refracted mirror effect, but when scaled in game res, it looks a bit shit.
In terms of bounding box, the object is just a line. So something like a rope or a chain would work, so if you have any suggestions I'm all ears.

Also this is the first webbum Ive made in a very long time, so sorry if the bitrate is kind of awful

A.Post examples
B.Would you also be willing to do art? You wouldn't need to be good but for most games you'd be spinning your wheels instead of contributing if all you did was write

i'm interested, ill keep it handy.

two night ago I had a dream an asteroid was coming towards the Earth
near the end of my dream the asteroid sometimes looked like the AGDG logo
on my way to work that day there were two funerals going on
at work I thought I heard the Windows 10 error/alert sound even though there were no computers around

what does it mean?

Can you explain what we're supposed to see/what the reflection is supposed to convey gamepay wise? It looks fine, but I'm kinda lost

Samples would be nice. Also what genres do you like and what kind of game would you like to work on?

>frost
The gamepad controls used to work, but my own gamepad died like 3 months ago and I haven't been able to test them out after a bunch of changes were made.
Thanks for playing!

I take comfort in the fact that googum might see my ass

i'm not sure what you mean.

Made a bloody version for no real reason.

Perhaps it could suck blood instead of shooting projectiles?

Yeah that's my bad. They transpose the player. a horizontal one like in that webm will flip you vertically, letting you walk on the ceiling. One at a 45 degree angle will let you walk up and down walls.

The reason I went with the reflection is because it sort of visually shows this; They reflect the player in real time, so as you approach one you'd see yourself projected around it in accordance with how it would actually rotate you.

trap music, it's the newest urban style
t. different guy

nice boipussy

Ty :3

>Made a bloody version for no real reason.
I like it
>Perhaps it could suck blood instead of shooting projectiles?
I really like it

>someone actually drew my little placeholder rectangle
Neat, thanks drawfriend!

Thanks!
Maybe I'll go with that, then

But in that webm you're showing, they reflect everything but the player. That seems to be super confusing.
Ideally the player's reflection would be strong and the enviroment should be dimmer/more distorted/transparent

Make it jump out of corpses.

More enemy progress
Finished moai behavior.
They have a body and a head, when the body is destroyed, the head is detached.
The head could be infected with a laser shooting eye.

Idea bros check in!

Do people here have any success collaborating with people they meet online?

One of the single most prominent pieces of feedback I have received is not being able to tell where your hitbox is. I am already going back and changing a major mechanic (Burst) to be more friendly since before it was only rewarding (and usable) to extremely high play skill (thank you for that feedback by the way, there should never be a mechanic that 90% of your players will never get to use).

But the hitbox issue already has a solution in game. You hold the Focus button to both see your hitbox but also to slow down your movement to make dancing through densely packed attack patterns easier. I could (and probably will) put an option you can switch on to always see your hitbox but unless you use Focus you are still moving at high speed which makes dodging lots of things extremely painful.

The question becomes: How do I get players to use the Focus button without flashing it up on screen at the beginning of the intro stage? It will be explained in the training option but only a couple of people I watched even tried to select training so even if it was working most people would have never seen it. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best solution for this?

idk user it seems a bit against the themes of mechanical things to be sucking blood. give it some reason to be bloody, like says, but don't go overboard.

9/10 it's a failure but I have had success, yes.

honestly this is pretty good. can you do electronic?

Yeah, the reflection is limited to whatever is within a certain distance, and the player is quite small so it didn't show up in that. That being said, even if it's reflecting the environment, it'd still give you and idea of how it's going to mirror you.

That was the thought process, anyways.

yes
the game is now perfect

I love those shits in games
keep it up pugdev

have the intro stage show the controls. Guncat does this, and it's a really effective way of explaining the controls. If you have popups that are just images that go away after a few seconds then experienced players can just ignore it without breaking up the gameplay

rates?

That sounds like a cool idea!

My original intent was to have it walk around and then collect its legs beneath it so that it could "roll" over and fire projectiles from an angle.
I guess the tube doesn't make much sense if it's a machine that digs into people, though. Perhaps I'll swap it for some claw/mandible things.

I'm sure they could have a reason for sucking blood, though. Maybe they are drones sent out by aliens to collect blood samples/nourishment?

How can I make my artic researcher less shit?

>there should never be a mechanic that 90% of your players will never get to use
I disagree completely.

I got an artist and music dude to work on my game, and the only way I got them to stick around was to pay them
After many, many failed collaborations both online and irl, I'm firmly convinced that the only way they work is if your "collaborators" are actually just your employees

lmao unoriginal as fuck

not using voxels

who are you quoting?
also a lot of popular games have underused mechanics

boobs or sixpack

I added support for non-monospace fonts to my game.

He wont be voxels when I rip his limbs and head off and shove him into blender

I'm sure mecha crawlers were a thing long before Red Alert, user.

Boomerang of Grabbenings

stop using voxels for one

Bigger boots.

Is he supposed to look like Captain Cold?

looks p. good to me.

He's supposed to look like these guys

Prove it, faggot.

you're supposed to enter the woman, not the other way

My main character is going to be carrying his Saudi around, how would I model that? Would I just model each in the same project beside each other rig them seperatly and animate him carrying her?

>no transparent orange chainsaws
shit arctic research

Blondie really shouldn't be teleporting when getting hit by the grabarang

It is the usual lazy name to reference the tick class for engine devs. So like t.movement, and the meme grew out of recognizing recurring trends that belong in a class.

>t.nodev

You need more fluffy detail around the hood. That fluffy hood really gives the arctic look.

Lel waifu turns into Saudi on auto correct

I enjoy a wide array of genres. I really like the writing in games like Fallout 1 and 2 and Planescape: Torment. Also I'd post some examples but everything I had written was saved to my old computer which blew up 2 years ago. I mean, I could write something new if you guys want me to.

My game uses about 8-10% of my test machine's CPU (an i3) when it's running. Should I be worried about this?

>I could write something new if you guys want me to.
Write a story for this game
and a description for
no extra cues, go

This.... might?... work. At the very least there is a display on the right side that shows your current storyline progress and in the first minute or so of the intro I suppose I could instead use that area to show the most essential of controls. Might be a long shot getting anyone to look at it though since the intro starts off right into the action. There is no safe starting area where you can gather yourself before going into the thick of it. That is essentially what all the previous parts of the game would have been for. Thank you though! I will see how it feels/looks and maybe come ask for some feedback on it later!

i'm willing to be pretty flexible. it depends on the length of the track you want. send me an email we can work it out.

Could you write a game about nodevs?

>i'm a good writer
>i don't have samples, i lost them 2 years ago
>lists the most well known crpgs and nothing else
This could be quality bait but you've got to push it a little further. Have some fake samples pulled from reddit's writing board, mention some more obscure but still shit games.

Don'd fuggen disresbegd suberior finnish meme wid fals informadions :DDD

fuck i wish i could do this. where do you even get started?

Goood thank you for reminding me, I had this as a child!

>frozen rain drops
>sailing in the autumn sea
damn, I might just stealerino that shit for my game

I literally did not look at the sidebars while playing, the gameplay is too frantic to do so. Personally I think the danmaku sidebars are incredibly shit design and a good hud could display the same information in a much more readable way

Do you do modules?

Focus is, like, a SHMUP staple, so it's an odd issue to have, when you also consider there's like 3 non-movement buttons in the first place. It's also an ALT fire method, so maybe emphasize that more? People might pay more attention if you frame it as another way to attack.

It's almost to the level of asking "how do I make Mario jump?".

Not that guy, but I do modules.
I fucking love trackers

as long as you credit me.

Dealerino, senpai

>added quit confirmation check
>works fine
>started catching out-of-the-game quitting and directing it to the quit check
>works fine
>try to actually quit
>can't quit
>no exit

Thank you for the feedback! I can low prioritize looking into building a more minimal design option for those want it but the bars themselves need to stay as they cage off the usable areas of the stage. If I leave it too wide and adjust the spawning and patterns to take the area into account the game loses a big part of it's feel. Unrestricted windows are usually reserved for horizontal shooters for this reason but like I said, I will look into offering a more compact/minimal HUD. Thank you again!

Yes I thought so too but the only time I didn't see someone go unfocused was when I was personally there to see it happen and after they ran out of lives, used their one continue and ran out again I went ahead and made mention of it. I have gotten tons of feedback and they all basically have that one point (don't know where my hitbox is) among the rest of it. I will see what I can do with the language used when conveying the importance of Focus. Thank you!

You haven't written anything in the past two years?

Would either of you like to help with a game I'm working on? I already use some orchestral music (and I'd like to use more), and I've got an idea for a story but I suck a writing stories.

With no context lemme try writing something.
>A tiny mechanical Spider-Bot skitters before you; its mechanical pincers scrape across the floor in tandem with the harsh, synthetic whine emanating from within its core. Fresh blood is spattered across the frame and leg-plates, painting a garish contrast to the muted grey and green that lies underneath it. The drone fidgets in response to your movements, seemingly agitated by your presence.

That long enough? Or is it too long? Sorry, I haven't written in quite a while.

Hey, that's a cool description!

the composer here, what kind of game is it and how far into development are you.

I dislike that you went for spider right off the bat but I guess I can't blame you considering it's in the filename.
Your writing is fine I guess, but it feels kinda amateurish for what I'm working on. Thanks for the attempt anyways.

Game Maker 2 is out, how much better is it than 1? Should I switch over?