Trucks

Hello Veeky Forums I don't come here ever I hail from /k/.
I'm gonna be moving from Washington to Montana in the next year or so and I know I'm gonna need a truck for hauling stuff (Nothing over 2 tons) and something that will be good in a few feet of snow and as for mpg I'm not too concerned as long as a tank doesn't beat me out. I will also need a winch setup. Any recommendations my limit is $28,000 for a used one.

Other urls found in this thread:

carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Ford-Ranger-2015/OAG-AD-14502526/?gts=OAG-AD-14502526>ssaleid=OAG-AD-14502526&rankingType=Showcase
carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Holden-Colorado-2013/OAG-AD-14248670/?Cr=42
phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/6066689186.html
phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/6086636691.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I would say to check out some Chevy/GMC pickups. (2008-2013)

Pretty good, for me at least.

f150 2.7 Ecoboost.
>0-60 in 5.5 seconds
>8500 lbs tow rating
>incredible performance at high altitude

/thread

any other answer is wrong

Thanks ill look into those!

>incredible performance at high altitude
low tolerance to small falling toolboxes though

Any of the big 3 are good. They all have their little quirks. GM usually has the most reliable engines apart from the diesels then the gm is regarded as the worst (but not by much at all).
I am a Dodge fan boi so i would probably get a 1500.

t. Poorfag who cant afford a bedliner

reminder that the 2.7 Ecoboost out hauls the 6.2l pushrod v8 from chevy.

also

>please believe our ad

2nd gen Tacoma, with the 4L V6
F150 2.7 Ecoboost isn't bad either

Look into the Silverado/Sierra 2500HD. Make sure you get the gas engine; the 6.0L Vortec is probably the most reliable truck engine made in the past 15 or so years. If you get the truck cheap enough (and you can get 10 year old truck for cheap), you can drop the other money into the other stuff you need like a winch setup, because if you look for a truck that already has one you'll wind up paying a premium for it.

Do you know if you'll be hauling any 5th-wheel trailers or just ball hitch?

Probably just a ball hitch, probably just gonna haul wood.

Literally any of the midsize "1/4tons" or half tons. Me personally for that coin, I'd try finding a second hand Duramax Colorado for mah diesel efficiency. Otherwise find the nicest lowest mileage gas 1/2 ton possible. $28k gets you a fair bit of truck. Sorry I can't recommend any other specifics.

the 4L V6 is very underpowered for a 2 ton load.
My wife's 4runner has the 4L its a good engine but not for towing that much.
is me
I would also recommend a F250 but not the 6.0 or 6.7 they are both bad engines. They are some of the most popular HD trucks so you will most likely be able to find exactly what you want.

Actually, that "hauling nothing over 2 tons", is that on a trailer or specifically in the bed? If the latter, I take back my suggestions of midsize and half tons. That's well and truly 3/4ton Territory. If the former, I'll stick with what I said.

I'd disagree. The 4.0L V6 is more than adequate for 2 tons off the hitch.

Important question, OP: Where are you going to buy this truck? The markets are slightly different between Washington and Montana.

It literally doesnt.
Take your shilling and lame memes to a containment thread

the Tacoma has a 3500 tow weigh rating.
It is a great truck but it is not designed nor good for hauling that much. The truck doesn't even weigh 2 tons. In the snow that would not be a good time.

I was planning on buying in Montana to avoid dragging another car a few hundred miles. I want to keep my honda but it cant handle snow at all without chains.

I would use a trailer if i needed to but the bed it the first place I'd put anything.

00-06 Silverados and Sierras

Best getting them in the 2500 for the god tier vortec 6.0 or you can go halfton with the 5.3.
Both of them are reliable as hell. This is coming from experience.

>can't prove me wrong
>s-shill
take your meds autist

>max tow rating for 2.7
>max tow rating for 6.2

>Durr take your meds
Take a fucking hike faggot

In other parts of the world said motor powers vehicles rated to tow 7700lb. Now while I think that's grossly overrated, 4000lb definitely isn't. Although if it's not licensed to more than 3500lb as you say (citation on that?), then I'd agree that OP should look elsewhere.
Up to man, but you could be toeing the line between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. Keep your options open ;)

you want an HD then. F250 or 2500 Dodge or Chevy. I cant recommend the Ford gas engines besides the V10 as i havent had any good experiences with them. The Chevy has the most dependable Gas engine but the Hemi will give you a bit more power.

>12500
nope. it only tows 8300 lbs. says so on chevys webs8te.

sperg more.

carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Ford-Ranger-2015/OAG-AD-14502526/?gts=OAG-AD-14502526>ssaleid=OAG-AD-14502526&rankingType=Showcase

>"nothing over 2 tons"-(OP)
Take your irrelevant tripe and bury it in a hole, along with yourself.

$27k
carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Holden-Colorado-2013/OAG-AD-14248670/?Cr=42

>eating_popcorn.gif

turbos are great at altitude because they help to negate the poor air quality. diesels are expensive to buy and maintain, take forever to warm up and are really bad for short trips. I would highly advice against a diesel if you're not going to be towing heavy regularly. all of the big three half-ton trucks are on par as far as reliability, I think Ram has the best interior and ride comfort but worst electronics, Chevy is boring as shit and doesn't do anything bold but they've got solid engines, and Ford is the only one that offers a turbocharged gas engine but the fuel economy with the Ecoboost is really hit or miss and I'd definitely stay away from 11-12, 13-14 were pretty good years for the F150 but then 2015 was a new generation so there are always teething problems.

the Cummins is by far the most unreliable of any of the modern big 3 diesels. the Duramax is probably the least problematic.

the 6.7 isn't bad at all. the 6.0 is a nightmare if it's been poorly maintained and the 6.4 is a nightmare unconditionally.

truck prices are relatively high in Montana because there are a lot of oil field workers there.

>even the 5.3 outhauls the 2.7

You mean 9.3k. It literally says on their website. And that is whithout the towing rear end.

the 2011+ Ford HD gasser 6.2L is a really solid engine. only real downside to them is piss-poor fuel economy but you're probably going to get that with any HD gas truck.

For some extra salt in the wound

lol.

>muh top of the line vs base model
pic related is a fair comparison

>28k to blow
>on a truck for hauling stuff
I never understood the american mental gymnastics involved in purchasing a truck like a tacoma, tundra, ford 1/2/350, dodge ram, etc. Expensive gas guzzlers with no purpose, less room, and no cover for your stuff (easily jacked out the back).
Get a van. They have the same engines as trucks and have plenty of space as well as protection from theft and the elements.

Simple comparison time.

phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/6066689186.html - 2012 Ford F 250 with 163 thousand miles and they want almost 20 THOUSAND dollars. Doesn't even have a fucking bedliner.

Compare that to phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/6086636691.html
Same fucking engine, 57k miles (100k LESS MILES), holds all your shit, and 9 THOUSAND dollars less.

Be smart op.

you guys caught this, right?
stupidest argument in the world anyway. how many people have you ever met that are regularly towing enough with a half-ton for this to ever fucking matter? and how little do you know about GVWR and GVCR to think that the max towing capacity really matters at all?

Don't buy in Montana. The sellers know every roughneck wants a truck so they jack the prices way up. Buy it in Washington and haul your Honda on a trailer.

>cherry picking to an SUV that weighs more than a bare bones f150.

Top fucking kek. Ford trucks literally cant compete with chevy trucks

buy a miata and install a hitch

>ford trucks can't compete with chevy trucks
what? lol the 3.5l outhauls your pushshit.

sperg more.

>a 2.7l v6 destroys the pushshit 6.2l v8
LOL

I just googled it because i was curious. Some sources say 3500 others 6800. Im guessing its with or without a towing package?
Im sure there are people that pull a 4 ton load with it, especially in other parts of the world. I just think there are better options. I think it would struggle up steep hills with that much weight. Also much safer to have a heavier truck with a load that heavy.

Im pretty biased to chebbys since that is all i've owned but I can tell you they are rock solid trucks. The only thing that you need to worry about is that some of the earlier models like the 88-98 C/K and 00-06 are prone to rocker rust. Pretty much everything else about them are bulletproof.

I cant tell you much about Ford or Dodge so you might want to check in with someone else.

i mentioned the ecoboost because it's superior. even though you don't need it.
>gm
dogshit

Sorry i must probably confused the 6.4 and the 6.7.

>fully loaded suv =/= a regular cab long bed base model truck
And yet that same motor in a truck out hauls the ford with all engines...

kek

>out hauls the ford with all engines
nope.. the 3.5l 2018 f150 outhauls the silverado. ford just upgeaded it this year. you are literally autistic.

first off that F250 is insanely overpriced. that's what they should be asking for a diesel. just because some dumb delusional shitlord decides to ask that absolutely does not mean someone is going to pay it. but nice cherrypicking.

so now lets move on to your stupid shit argument about the van. first of all, that van has a 2V 5.4L which is not even remotely close to being the same as the 6.2L that's in the F250. getting passengers in and out of the rear is a pain in the ass vs. just having four doors and two bench seats. the van's towing capacity is dick, and it has far less available features. and lastly to think that an enclosed van cargo area full of windows even remotely compares to an 8' bed with no roof over it is laughable.

oh and, yeah, find a 4wd van.

*upgraded
autocorect is broken

*autocorect

>you are literally autistic
nice projection.

>3.5l 2018 f150 outhauls the silverado
citation needed

>The 3.5L EcoBoost® delivers a 12,200-lb. maximum tow rating* and proven performance in over a half-million F-150 pickups.
From Ford

meanwhile at chebby
>Best in class 12,500 lbs. towing capacity†

Ill have to see about buying around my area, i would rather make a second trip than blow a few thousand more on the same shit.

you never see a ram truck as a uhaul, only ferds and chebbys

can you guys fuck off with your retarded, pointless dickwaving fucking up an otherwise somewhat productive thread?

>stupidest argument in the world anyway. how many people have you ever met that are regularly towing enough with a half-ton for this to ever fucking matter? and how little do you know about GVWR and GVCR to think that the max towing capacity really matters at all?

>please spoon feed me mommy
>so desperate he quotes last years specifications
the 2018 tows more

Alphonse doesnt know that.

Why do you think he is so upset?

THIS POST CAUSED A MASSIVE TRIGGER

That's what i thought, can't even provide his sources.

Im quoting this year with their "new and improved" engine and 10 speed.

Move goalposts some more.

>needing 4wd
>ever using 4wd
I hear this argument all the time. An excuse to spend shitloads of money. Be my guest, but I'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

>please spoon feed me
>this year
nope. the 2018 f150 is this year. sperg some more

>28k

Ok. You can probably get your hands on some 2014 v8 silverados, F150s, or Rams.

They're pretty much all gonna be reliable no matter what year you get these trucks. Its only a matter of if you want a halfton or heavy duty.

>Montana
4wd is a must then right?

okay. you have fun laughing in your shitty van and I'll have fun using my 4 wheel drive.

I dont know where you live but in the sierra nevadas if you do not have 4wd or chains they will literally make you turn around. There are check points when the road gets enough snow or ice.

Yea gonna start with an apartment then move up to an actual house away from large towns (I hate people so does my wife) I'm just worried about snow and or hitting a deer at 80+mph

No you won't. Every truck I see on the road is pretty and spotless, never taken to the dirt or trail.

Op here, I'm probably gonna beat the shit out of this thing, need to get some sort of shielding on the front and undercarriage of the truck.

oh. I guess I imagined this then

They all have pretty robust 4wd systems.
>Silverado owner
Im probably gonna be a little biased here. In terms of engines, stick with a v8. The only V6 that i would dare touching is the 4.3 chebby. Ecoboost seems like a mixed bag and ram v6s...
>FCA
But anyways, the V8s from any era of these trucks have been proven but I think the one that really stands out is the 5.3 over the tritons and hemis.
That motor (same with the 4.3) are basically unkillable. I've seen people drive them with thrown rods like its nothing at all. They will last you a good couple 100k miles before anything major is needed and when it is, it is dirt cheap.

Ford and Ram are pretty good as well when it comes to 8cyl. Same with their 4wd. If you go for a HD, remember that GM trucks have IFS and not a live front end so you might end up falling for the tie rod meme.

Other than that, you really cant go wrong with any of them. I have no clue about tundras or titans tho.

and this one too

If you want a Tundra, you have to go like 2007 or earlier before the big redesign. That's when the cutoff for the Toyota reliability was.

>Nissan
lel

>fullsize fanboys fighting over which enormous barge will haul six tons better
>OP wants to haul two tons
A bloody Colorado would be more than sufficient for OP's needs and doesn't cost an arm and a leg slightly used even with a diesel.

Op stated that he wanted to haul up to 2 tons in the bed of his truck.
There are 0 "Small" pickups that can handle that. The frame just is not designed for that kind of weight. We are talking about putting almost and in some cases more weight that the truck itself.
I just don't understand why some one you guys keep recommending these trucks. Maybe you guys have just never driven something with that much weight. I regularly haul loads of 2-3k lbs and that is in a place where it never snows. Add hills and snows and you are looking at a dangerous ride.

If you are buying anything after 2006, DO NOT BUY GM. They are the biggest pieces of shit ever. Guy a Ford or a Dodge.

Oh, the company that needed 12 billion dollars from the US taxpayer to keep afloat in '08?

Yeah, theres good reason they went backrupt and should have fucking closed. I drive one their trucks every day, company vehicle, they cant even make a competent radio, let alone a truck.

>GM
>bigger pieces of shit than a Ram

GM might have needed taxpayer money, but Chrysler needed FIAT money.

Chrysler didn't have more recalls then sales either. GM set that record.

He didn't say bed. I assumed he meant towing because only one tons can carry two tons in the bed, and even those only in specific configurations.

He specified later that he was going to use a regular trailer.

However, considering the environment (fucking winter Montana), he does still need a heavier duty truck to do it.

A 4x4 one ton isn't inherently better in the snow than a 4x4 midsize, and you can get a 4x4 diesel midsize for the price of a RWD petrol fullsize.