Questions that don't deserve their own thread

A thread for people who don't know anything about cars to ask their dumb questions without shitting up the rest of the board.

I'll start. I recently got my car jumped after having it be dead for months. How long should I let the engine idle to ensure it charges up again?

Not all cars produce charging power at idle. Drive it around for 5-10 mins like normal and it should be good to go. If you have a multimeter you can find out exactly what voltage is being driven to your battery at different rpm. Depends on car but it should usually be about 14 volts

semi-related question, and I don't own a Prius before I ask. I've heard a Prius battery is dead for GOOD when it dies, and always needs replacing. Is this true??? wtf

Same concept as any other car's battery dying

thought you could just recharge the shit

I think people asking their dumb questions in Veeky Forums would improve the quality of posting desu.

Think of a hybrid battery like a laptop battery.

You'll get loads of life out of it when it's new but as it ages the health of it declines and it holds less and less charge until eventually it's dead and needs to be replaced.

Note: by 'dead' I mean dead as in dead person dead, not 'it just needs a charge' dead.

As a Prius owner, It does loose some charge capacity as it ages, however, it's not too expensive to pull one out of somebody wreck and replace it.

Why are dirt track headers asymmetric?

How do you jump start your car?
Everyone I've seen just put + to + and - to -, although many internet guides tell to put the receiver - on bare metal.

Lithium ion cells have a limited life span, as they age capacity drops, internal resistance increases and output is reduced.

Any bare metal on the car is the same as putting it on the negative battery post. They say to use not-the-post because if you make sparks then it's less likely to ignite hydrogen that could be leaking out of a busted battery.

You're supposed to clamp on bare metal of the car being jumped. But in reality either way would work and the danger of the dead battery blowing up on you is very small.

It's best to put the dead battery's neutral cable on grounded bare metal, but if you can't find anything suitable you can use the neutral terminal. Any part of the engine block, or the large bolts on top of the wheel well are good for the neutral cable on the dead side.

Also, that image doesn't include step 5.5. You need to idle the live car at a higher RPM, 1500-2000 for about 5 minutes to allow the dead battery to charge enough to get the engine running.

What is a good turbo for a 05 v6 mustang?

In reality it doesn't matter. Sure the guide in pic related is perfect but unless you're really really dumb it doesn't matter.

In this order,
GOOD RED
BAD RED
GOOD BLACK
GROUND

Questions:
My car is 17 years old (Peugeot 106 1.1i), 74000km, battery has never been replaced.
Should I replace it?

Same thing with brake discs?

Also, does stepping on the clutch pedal too much (eg when taking a turn, or braking, or taking too long to downshift while clutch is engaged) hurts the car/transmission/engine?

Lastly, what's the easiest way to clean the engine bay?

>Should I replace it?
After 17 years it's probably sensible preventative maintenance. You might wind up with a dead battery faster than you thought one day by leaving your dome light on or starting too many times in a row or when it gets too cold or something.

>Same thing with brake discs?
Probably not if you've never worn the pads all the way down to where it scrapes. Ask your mechanic to check them next time you bring it in for something and he'll be able to tell you if they're badly worn or just a nonissue.

>Also, does stepping on the clutch pedal too much (eg when taking a turn, or braking, or taking too long to downshift while clutch is engaged) hurts the car/transmission/engine?
It puts extra wear on the throwout bearing, but that pretty much doesn't matter. It's inexpensive and you just replace it when the clutch wears out and you have to replace the clutch.

I've collected oil for a long time now, from my cars and friends/neighbors. I've been dumping it into other people's drains, street sewage system, or their lawn.
Morality aside, is this wrong? What's the worst that could happen.
To me, I mean. I don't care about them. I can't be bothered to "dump" it at Vatozone.

>is this wrong? What's the worst that could happen.
Well it poisons the soil obviously. If you live above an aquafer too much of this activity will consequently poison the drinking and irrigation water.

If it's into a sewage system then it depends on where it leads to. If it dumps into a river, congrats you're a turdball. If it goes to a plant not equipped to deal with it, congrats you're a turdball.

Basically you shouldn't be lazy if life is so easy you can just accumulate it in a bucket or something until you get around to leaving it at a vatozone.

Thanks for the advice user.

It's never on my lawn or neighborhood, and it's those street drains when it rains a lot, I guess.
Rarely down a sink when there's an Open House and no one's looking or they're preoccupied showing the house off to other people.
"Out of sight, out of mind" you know

Aquafers tend to be like really yuge. Maybe you live somewhere where it's just going to get stuck in the ground and not do anything, but if you don't know that it's a pretty nigger thing to do in this day and age.

I like to leave mine at the local university that has a fancy "green" room where you can like recycle light bulbs and CDs but not household hazardous waste. At least that way I can feel self-superior because they're being fucking retarded.

It's in poor people neighborhoods. I don't live near them.
But maybe you are right, user. I might seek out a college to start dumping this shit at.

This

What are good sites for evaluating and getting an estimate for the price of parts?
Ebay and craigslist don't really help with this due to shitty search results and just generally not having parts.
Many salvage yards in the area are way overpricing their parts, so it's hard to get a good estimate.

Hi Veeky Forums, question about my engine:

I have a 92 Supra with a 7MGTE (Pic related). It's burning and leaking oil which I suspect has to do with the head gasket starting to go. It' hasn't blown yet and still runs decently if I top it up with oil.
My question is, when I go to replace the head gasket, do I still need to get the head machined if it hasn't blown up yet? Or will there still have been some damage even with a minor leak?

Gratsi

>down a sink when there's an Open House
What the fuck how??

Have you never been to an open house? You can walk in and roam at ease.
I spot on, go home, come back with my jugs, go in and pour.

Ok I got a few.

So occasionally I need to clean certain spots on my japbox, and I don't need soap as abrasive as dishsoap; what's a good, light household cleaner I can use so I don't have to buy a big jug of specialty car soap?

Next, how often should I change brake fluid? Power steering fluid?

This and also it reduces the voltage jump that could fry electronics.

A V8 turbo.

Most all house hold cleaners other than dish soap are going to be Corrosive in nature.

Just get an empty spray bottle and mix dish soap and water in it.

RockAuto is probably best for new parts, in my experience

You sure its not your rings, valve cover gasket, or a bad valve?

You have to get it machined regardless becuase engine flexes with heat cycles over time and the face of the head becomes warped ever so slightly becuase of that.

How about used parts? I remember someone posting a site that was almost like an Ebay for used and refurbished parts, but I can't remember it to save my life.
The parts are for a work truck, front fascia needs to be replaced to pass inspection, so used is fine.

I bought some halfshafts from rockauto and they were pretty solid. Don't know about the rest of the inventory, but I shop around websites when I need things that are more than a few pocketbucks.

Depends on what car you have too, Rock Auto, Jc Whitney, Summit are great for when Im shopping for the Truck, but Pretty much shit if im looking for parts for my BMW's I have to go to ECS, Bav auto or Pelican.

not 100% sure, I still have to do some investigating. I need to get the gasket fixed anyway because it's never been done before so it's a bit of a time bomb.
Thanks for the reply, I'll look for a machine shop.

When I plug my phone into the outlet the headlights get noticeably dimmer. Is this cause for concern? I'm not worried about having dim lights but I do not want to run into major electronic problems down the road.

You should buy a windmill for your trailer hitch

Get your alternator and battery tested.

Get a leak down test done, it'll narrow it down, but generally you'll know you're burning oil due to smoke coming out the tail pipe, same with a head gasket.

In the best case scenario it may just be valve cover gasket leaking onto the exhaust pipe.

>Get a leak down test done, it'll narrow it down, but generally you'll know you're burning oil due to smoke coming out the tail pipe, same with a head gasket.

In the best case scenario it may just be valve cover gasket leaking onto the exhaust pipe.

There is definitely smoke coming out of the tail pipe so it's burning oil. Hopefully it's the valve cover like you said, but I'm not opitimistic. These engines are notorious for head gasket failure.
Cheers!

How do I into motor vehicles? I don't even know where to start.

Can anybody here give me a rundown on the 944? My cousin works at an import dealer and they've gotten both a 944s2 and 944 turbo in a trade. I hate the shit out of my current run around and it's finally starting to die enough that I can justify getting rid of it. I've been looking at some other cars like a newer ND/NC miata, but I'm loving the 80's vibe on the porsches. I'm comfortable doing light wrenching on things to keep them running, but I really don't know shit about porsches.

Could just use some direction on researching them.

>Rarely down a sink when there's an Open House

kys pajeet, jesus fuck you are a piece of shit.

Practice changing a flat.

Then consult the manual and try routine maintenance like changing your oil.

Hey Veeky Forums. I got all new tires all around but i got them half an inch larger in radius than stock because they were far cheaper. When I take right turns I can hear rubbing what do? Should I contact the place I got the tires? I didn't know anything about getting bigger tires when I got them I thought it would be fine but I have now read that it messes up the odometer and speedometer did I fuckup? They told me at the tire place that getting these tires would be fine.

Read up on how a combustion motor works, how the 4-stroke cycle works to start. Eventually read up on what every individual component does for an engine (i.e Injectors, alternator, radiator, gaskets etc). Later, when you understand what makes an engine run, read up on the fun things like Turbos, Superchargers, Intercoolers and such. I spent two years straight reading up on the internet, watching videos, reading books and now I can perform maintenance without having to bring my car anywhere for things that are easily repairable and replaceable.

You should be more concerned about the rubbing than the odo and speedo.

Take them back to where you got them before the rubbing wears them down to much so they can take them back without a big loss and give you something that fits.

How do I change an air filter

>failed smog again
Replaced the O2 sensor, catalytic converter, ignition wires, spark plugs, distributor and cap, as well as an additive to clean out any fucking trash in the fuel system, what the fuck man

Air sensor? Or maybe your engine is fucked.

Noticed a clicking that gets faster with speed coming from my wheel when I was against a wall. It's a an automatic FWD shitbox, so could it be the cv joint? I've had a few times where I'll go to accelerate and it hesitates, or it accelerates but jerks hard.

Whatever it might be, should I even bother fixing it? I got the car as a gift and I've abused the hell out of it since, but I don't know if it's really worth shelling out money for parts. Also EVERYTHING is rusted to shit in the undercarriage so I'm afraid to try to work on it because I'm a bitch with the strength of a twig.

>maybe your engine is fucked
That'd be unfortunate. It runs great otherwise.

Could be CV. If it is, it should progress into more of a knocking or a clunking. It's not going to blow apart on a whim if that's what it is, so you don't have a better guess then you could let it go for a while and see what happens. That's potentially an expensive repair unless you can do it yourself, so you might think about taking it in for a free estimate so you can plan ahead as far as to how to play it out.

Do you know why it failed smog?

High hydrocarbons while idling.

That really shouldn't happen on an OBDII car after all the stuff you already replaced. You should probably consult a model or make specific forum because it could be some common quirk. I guess check for vacuum leaks and make sure your idle air intake isn't gummed up. But you've pretty much ruled out everything other than something out of left field or an air metering problem.

Are subaru outbacks generally reliable? I'm looking at a 2001 with 140k miles. I know they have head gasket issues but this one has been replaced.
It's 2900 also first car buy or no buy

2001 is getting old by now (2011 is ten years ago and this is 2017) so you should not be surprised if it starts having weird old car problems. But as long as the head gaskets were redone right and were redone before somebody overheated it then you should be alright in that respect.

They're pretty durable beyond rust problems, but if you're poor and you don't know how to fix things and aren't planning how to learn then you're probably going to wind up wondering if you made the right choice.

So diluted dish soap is cool then? I was under the impression that it was too heavy, but diluting it actually makes sense.......huh

Imagine that.

It varies by car but typically you find the air box, pop off the buckles that hold the top on and put the new air filter in the right way.

Well technically dish soap isn't the best thing to wash your car with, but out of all household cleaners its probably the least harmful.

First time time driving a manual transmission car and when I start I under rev but I had a question of what would happen to the car if this happens a lot?

Do you mean you stall? So long as you're not bunny hopping you're probably not doing whole lot of damage.

Try to learn to get the car moving with out using gas.

I if it helps it's a 6 speed manual transmission got for a steal but fwd but for practice a manual transmission I was told it was great.

My sister wants to buy or lease a Camero. Should I stop her?

Is it possible for someone to recreate engines using the same exact blueprint as the manufacturers and sell them cheap? IT would be something like selling replica/fake shoes or clothes.

They don't sell Cameros.

I asked this in another thread, but kind of want to get more opinions on it before I start doing anything.

I got a new radiator today, and with it came an electric fan. I did the entire replacement and in the end decided to take the mechanical fan that was being spun by the engine, off of the car.

After doing so I didn't touch the carb, non of my spark plugs got removed and the distributor cap is sitting exactly like it was before I started everything. But it idles really rough and does some occasional small bangs out of the exhaust when the car is on (idling and driving).

Is it possible that by taking the mechanical fan off I upset the timing? And if so, would I advance it or retard it to fix these issues?

I never even thought about that and have no experience to share, but now that you mention it it's possible the mechanical fan was part of the inherent dampening of the engine. Or maybe you just bumped something and didn't notice.

I would have to guess that if it's a timing issue you'd want to retard it slightly but the behavior you describe is weird and I would seek the advice of a specialty forum if you're not feeling adventurous enough to put the fan back on to confirm whether or not that was the issue. Sounds a bit more like ignition or fueling (did you knock off an important vacuum line?) but I don't really have a good suggestion.

Cameros are childrens cereal that comes in the shape of cameras. they are very real but high in sugar.

hi boys, i'm sorta rich and im thinking of buying either a: pre-owned lamborghini aventador, or a new 2017 huracan. what do?

also would people be able to tell if my car is preowned? do people care?

>it's possible the mechanical fan was part of the inherent dampening of the engine
That's also what I was thinking.

>the behavior you describe is weird
To me it kind of sounds like a mini-backfire. Not so loud that it would sound like a gunshot, but enough so that I can hear it when I'm driving the car.

I may take a look at a specialty forum like you suggested, and/or try setting the timing back little by little to see if it helps.

Thanks, dude!

Why is it that v8s tend to be supercharged and not turboed, unless they are super cars. And it doesn't seem to be an aftermarket option either. It is perhaps the engines that they use?

>To me it kind of sounds like a mini-backfire. Not so loud that it would sound like a gunshot, but enough so that I can hear it when I'm driving the car.
First thing that jumps to mind is running rich and unburned fuel hitting your cat and ignigting. Again I really don't know. If the valve timing somehow went awry as a result then this could be at fault I suppose.

Why do you care what people think? And no they wont know /care. Do it if you have the money. Id go the aventador personally, just because of the v12. Congrats mang.

Lamborghinis are unique to the people that order them. Any guy, girl, dog, or dolphin could easily tell at a glance if the driver is the orignal owner or not.

what makes you say that? most people cannot even tell the difference between a aventador and a huracan

Here's a question. Along the panel of my door is a nice piece of chrome trim. Inlaid in the chrome trim is a bit of rubber that has shrank over time and needs to be replaced. Where should I look for something like that? Where would I find it?

Jesus Christ. Post Y/M/M, mileage, and emissions test results.

do brits use "ricer" or do they just blame ricer shit on chavs?

Your EGR is probably malfunctioning. Displacing oxygen with inert exhaust gas will make it run rich at idle and fail you for high hydrocarbons. It could also be a valve seal oil leak. Or it could be your ICV.

You replaced a lot of needless shit for a HC at idle fail. It's going to be EGR, ICV, or oil leak 100% (assuming there's no vacuum leaks)

It rained today and i have my driving test today. I'll be driving in an a3 quattro. Am i fucked? Also any general tips for rhe test would be appreciated.

S-should I be concerned?

need a wheel alignment

Are new AWD Lancers fun to drive? How bad does the CVT hurt them?

What does "Internet Price" entail exactly?

If I print that bitch out and bring it in would I be guaranteed the price?

it means they're suckering you into thinking you're getting a bargain because you're looking at the car on one of them computer machines

i have a few questions,

when you first move the car, are you meant to wait for the clutch to grab before you apply the accelerator or slightly before?

when i jack up my car, do i have to be careful where i position the jack and jack stands incase of denting the underside of the car or does that not matter?

Yes, you need to use the jacking points shown in your manual and put the jack stands under a solid structure like the frame rails and not just shove them under the floor boards

is the engine block and the engine 2 different things

where tf is the stock intercooler (ik its not an intercooler if its stock but filter or whatever idk what its called if its not stock)

where tf do the fuel injectors go/what do they do

tf

also ik the stock filter thing is in the engine but like where if theres pistons n shit

how do you bleed fluids n shit

does adding a turbo take value away from ur car? cause ur like changing shit? lmao i got a nissan sentra so not worried about that doe

uhhh lmao y is redline bad

how tf do u drift [my car is fwd but i wana know the mechanics just to know ya know]

might think of more later

Doesn't matter where you put the final black cable, it can be on the terminal or a ground as long as you don't have a gas leak. Just don't touch the ends together

Just bring it to vatozone so you don't poison your ecosystem
Or burn it

>or burn it
kek

I have a buddy who converted his old diesel to run on anything and he put a dash of used motor oil in it once.
>huge stinky clouds
>all tank long

I'm about to go look at a used car today. How can I make sure it's not a piece of shit? I've never bought a used car from a used car dealer before and this thread seems like a good place to ask for some quick advice.

>307 olds
>carb'd
>had a tube going off of the exhaust manifold
>connects to the air filter assembly
>makes the air filter assembly extremely hot

uhh wut? I just disconnected it last night, and aimed the tube (it's an accordian style metal) to go with the rest of the exhaust manifold, and it drove just like normal on my way to work this morning.

Yeah im not sure what the deal is with those. Both my chevy 350tbis have them.