What even happened to the Pontiac Solstice?

What even happened to the Pontiac Solstice?

Is there even an aftermarket?

And is it better than the third gen (NC) Miata?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PoCKcOtmwHs
skyroadster.com/forums/f2/1000-rwhp-sky-build-71722/
solsticeforum.com/forum/f65/v8-weight-imbalance-theories-debunked-60618/
youtu.be/RcQB7APki8c
dailymotion.com/video/xlc09f_solstice-sports-fr-best-motoring-int_auto
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

piggu fattu

If you can find that trip named Kappa he's your guy, owns a black Sky I think. Different than the NC, not necessarily better or worse.

fat and unreliable
basically - how to not make a roadster

Saturn Sky is the same thing as a Pontiac Solstice?

It's a miata for women and somehow more homosexual men. No one wants it.

Yes.

NC handles better than Kappas but every single bump and crack in the road will feel twice as big as it actually is. Even with its slow 2L engine it needs premium fuel to get optimal fuel economy and power.

Kappa Twins are quieter, comfier, have better manners for regular driving, and can be had with a factory turbo if you want to go marginally faster for marginally more money/premium fuel. Normal engine runs happily on 87 octane.

>Is there even an aftermarket?
2JZ bolts right in. There's all the aftermarket you need.

tru

Yeah I heard people are using solstice transmissions when swapping 2jz's into other cars because they're way cheaper than the R154. Apparently they bolt up?

>What even happened to the Pontiac Solstice?
Canceled when GM went bankrupt.

>Is there even an aftermarket?
Yes
www.ddmworks.com
www.performanceautowerks.com
www.hahnracecraft.com
solo-performance.com
normsfiberglass.com

>And is it better than the third gen (NC) Miata?
Depends on what you want.

AYY

>Ecotec
>unreliable
kek

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Kappa_platform

>le gay roadster joke
never heard that one before

It has potential.

youtube.com/watch?v=PoCKcOtmwHs

That looks like fun. How's the handling?

It seems to put it's power down pretty well in a straight line. I'm sure the thing is a death trap on a track considering it's making 3x the stock power in a somewhat light chassis.

Who cares, Americans don't modify cars for turning, they just wanna do highway pulls.

Welcome to the real world. It's why comparing lap times is pointless and autistic. Most people who buy high end sports cars and supercars use them for pulling hard from the lights and highway pulls.

They use the same motor mounts, too. All you need is the plumbing and electronics for two more cylinders.

That build is insane
The guy is shooting for 1000 whp

skyroadster.com/forums/f2/1000-rwhp-sky-build-71722/

Holy shit I thought was just ls1 posting but they actually just bolt right up?

>blatant generalizations

Yeah, they really do just bolt in. You still need a custom exhaust, intake, coolant plumbing, ECU, etc, ie all of the parts that are actually difficult to fabricate. So yeah, it's kind of just memeing.

Any potential in using a kappa trans to swap in with a 2j into a mk3 Supra? R154s are just getting more and more expensive

A guy in my city 2J swapped his but had to tube frame the front end because it wouldn't fit. Took him quite a long time to make it work actually.

Also

>not just LS swapping it

An LS3 Solstice was either the "fastest" or won some kind of award at (what I think was called?) Rally Kings Michigan or something like that. I think it was at the last Detroit Auto Show.

GM's bankruptcy killed it. Edmunds.com said it was better for 80% of drivers than the NC, in that it was more comfortable and also had more grip. But it also had lousy ergonomics and that horrible top that had to be folded down and took up the entire trunk, which was puny to begin with. So if it's an only car, there's no contest - get the Miata.

If it's not, and you don't plan on raising/lowering the top very often, it could work (i.e. you'd better feel comfortable not raising it when you park). Stock, it's faster in autocross because of the greater grip; the NC comes with narrower tires than it can handle and its stock springs/dampers are way too soft.

Solstice is faster, has less body roll, is cheaper- And if GM made the Solstice in RHD Tsuchiya said he'd own one.

The R154 and the AR5 in the Sol/Sky are both made by Aisin. They have the same bell housing bolt patterns. Not sure about input shaft size or if the tail housing are the same.

I don't understand the appeal either. Why put a iron block I6 that is going to shift weight forward to make the car more nose heavy. The LS when used with a T56 shifts weight to the rear and only ads about 150 lbs of total weight.

solsticeforum.com/forum/f65/v8-weight-imbalance-theories-debunked-60618/

Another thing to keep in mind is this test was done in 2006 before the GXP (turbo) model was released. The GXP had more power stiffer shocks, springs, and sway bars. Also the base solstice came with Goodyear Eagle RSA, an all season tire. The GXP came with Goodyear Eagle F1, a summer tire. I don't remember the NC tire but I'm fairly certain it was a summer tire.

The english sub ins't on youtube anymore.
youtu.be/RcQB7APki8c

>The english sub ins't on youtube anymore.
but it is on daily motion.
dailymotion.com/video/xlc09f_solstice-sports-fr-best-motoring-int_auto

How's the Sky buddy?

Still rippin
Just rolled over 97,000 miles yesterday. 100K here we come.