TRADE

I want to trade a 4.6 liter Ford modular for a 4.9 liter in line 6. Is this a fair trade? Do you think I'll be able to find a willing participant?

Bump. I don't wanna pull this 4.6 for nuthin

so you want to trade a newer engine for an older engine?
That kind of indicates that there is something really good about the older engine, and something kind of not so good about the newer engine.
So.. no nobody is going to do that trade unless they are under the influence or something. If you had a 302 or 351 you might find somebody willing, but the 4.6 is shit. The 4.9, while maybe not super high power, is perhaps one of the toughest gas engines every made.

As in convert your current vehicle to inline 6? And find somebody to swap engines with you?

So there is no culture that values the 4.6 liter v8?

the 300 6 has gear driven cams bro. its like a cummins 12v but gas. unkillable.
the 4.6 is rather meh.

I'd rather keep the 4.6. may never be a powerhouse but it'll hold its own against a 4.9 i6 plus you can make it sound better.

go to the junkyard pull a inline 6 300 from a f150
sell the 4.6 on cl
way easier than a trade

i doubt anyone will be willing to trade, to many specific factors for it to work out. I doubt there are any people looking to make that trade outright

Excellent advice. Thank you for offering a solution senpai.
I want the workability, toughness, and wide transmission availability for a f100 4x4 project.

Stupid idea. Both hold up quite well but no one is likely to TRADE you. Just sell the thing if you must.

Also visit the Ford Truck Enthusiasts site for detailed info.

I like both engines but swapping in a truck is a bitch for little reward. Your truck will have a GEM module etc that interfaces with the ECU and in general suck to convert. 4.6 are durable to high mileages. If you want a 300, get it with an older Ford already wrapped around it.

If you were replacing a hydro-locked 4.2 or something and extremely bored I could see it. Otherwise fuck that. Your transmission bell housing won't match so you need all related along with a custom driveshaft unless you get lucky.

>I want the workability, toughness, and wide transmission availability for a f100 4x4 project.

In that case just sell all the extra shit. I posted before scrolling down since of course you didn't say WHY you wanted it.

300 would be my choice for any F100 2 or 4WD. Much tougher than the V8s and ample torque. FTE has some nice ones.

Let me clarify. I have a 1970 Ford f100 with no engine and I have a 4.6 liter from a Vicky. I would like to put an inline in the truck tho.

>So there is no culture that values the 4.6 liter v8?
maybe some forgotten third world culture that worships planes thinking they are silver bird gods.. but they won't have a 4.9, at most they might have some beads.

in that case see no one will trade

The folks at konnigseg thought it was worth modding.

The 4.6 had more horsepower AND Torque. As well as being able to get good V8 exhaust note for cheap.

Thanks for your input. I will consider the 4.6 route recommendation for a transmission?

4.6L is a pretty durable engine. The factory engine in my crown vic is at 248K. Its a pretty decent engine to put in an old vehicle, although you won't be getting gobs of power out of it.

Wiring can always end up being a bitch when swapping modern conputerized engines, however.

it was a good enough starting point, i guess, but:

"We had to figure out how to design and build many of the components and systems ourselves to make the engine work. We had to re-design camshafts, pistons, connecting rods, block reinforcements, fuel injection systems, fuel pump system, drysump lubrication, a new type crank case gas re-circulation system, exhaust, patented catalytic converter flow system, compressor system, flywheel, piston oil cooling, clutch, programming etc. And we got it done. The engine used in the CC8S was truly unique"

if you want automagic from the 90's-early 2k's
the 4r70w from that era are pretty stout and widely available, but make sure you run a after market trans cooler. keep that fucker cool.

for a manuel consider a zf5 and avoid the mazda M5OD transmissions pretty weak

are you sure you know what your getting yourself into? the fact that you ask all these questions might mean this project might be over your head lad.

I'm doing it alone. Also have access to some shop space. So while I am inexperienced, I am not too concerned about this.