Super Naked "fight"

Hey guys, just went to the 2017 bike show in my town and i just fell in love with some models.

(new gixxer was awesome, as well as the aprillia rsv4)

but i want to buy a super naked, so tell me which you recommend.
I am between mt-10 , mt-09 and ktm superduke 1290r.
keep in mind i am planning on doing some small touring with pillion, on whichever bike i end up buying.
So seatcomfort and accesories availability such as top cases and windscreens are a big factor.

but the bike will be used most for city riding and hitting the curved roads at weekends.

*feel free to suggest other models you have in mind*

there is a bike show? never heard of it

you should try riding them

very unlikely anyone here has rode all 3 of them and even if they have, might not have the same opinion. most of those are not gonna be great for 2 up riding either

I'd doubt any of those would be ideal for touring without sacrificing a lot of what you could get by buying a second bike that's more suited for that specifically, especially if you're looking to maintain use of an additional seat.

Unrelated to that, part of me wants a Superduke purely because of how it sounds.

i already done some touring on a cbf500(with my gf on the back seat) so i know the feeling of touring in a naked bike. Also ADV and sport touring bikes just dont make feel the same way streetfighters and super nakeds do.

MT-09 has a good seat position ( for the pillion as well ) even for longer rides, especially with a comfort seat. but i am not sure if the 3 cylinder engine would be good at long highway speeds. thats why i am interested at the mt-10.
As for the superduke...well the new looks are amazing and...you know... wheelies !

The mt09 is a mid range naked and a lot cheaper than those other two.

They all got very different engines so you should test-ride first.

You think you need 160hp+ for highway cruising? Are you insane?

I've taken my speed triple on trips for several hundred miles at a time. Never had an issue with 3 cylinders.

i used to "cruise" on the highway with the cbf500 , with no problem . Its not about horsepower is about how the bike behaves.
I had driven an MV agusta brutale 800 (three cylinder 125hp) and it wasnt that good on highway speed, it just screemed for more, the engine felt "bumpy" , thats why i am asking if the 3-cyl MT-09 will face any issues.

well yeah . 850cc and 115hp isnt exactly mid range, at least for my standards ! i will test ride them and will start a new thread to let you know how it went.
btw,not a big fan of the yellow color, but great looking bike

>MT10
Basically a naked R1, unless you plan on hooning the shit out of it and are a really experienced rider I'd avoid it
>superduke
Same thing but from what I heard from an owner it's a good ride and easier to ride. I sat on one and it's probably my fav of the 3
>MT09
Best REALISTIC pick. $5k less then the other two, comfortable, and you won't get bored of it

The superduke is also fucking pointless for commuting, it's literally meant for ripping mountain passes and pulling wheelies out of every corner.

The mt09 is a nice allrounder, good for commute, good for spirited riding.

yea i am leaning towards the mt-09, but i love the looks of the 1290 and i wasnt sure if the 3cyl would be as smooth as a 4cylinder. The only way to find out is to book a test ride for those 2 yamahas and find out. will let you know in another thread how it went.

yea i am leaning towards the mt-09, but i love the looks of the 1290 and i wasnt sure if the 3cyl would be as smooth as a 4cylinder. The only way to find out is to book a test ride for those 2 yamahas and find out. will let you know in another thread how it went.

What do you mean by smooth? Power curve or if it vibrates?

You can expect the yamaha triple to be pretty close to the mt10 i4 in the midrange.

well the MV i rode , had some small vibration, the power curve was really "uncertain". At ~115km/h
6th gear, sometimes when you rolled the throttle, it just didnt respond and sometime it did. Maybe thats a problem with the brutale 800 and not all three cylinders, but since i dont have a lot of experience with 3cyls i thought i would ask.

Where do you live that these vines are even remotely close in comparison, they're 30+hp away from each model, and they're almost a 3-4k$ price difference from each model.

Yeah try the mt09, the brutale is a completely different bike. It's twitchy and nervous because of considerably lower wheelbase and trail compared to the mt09. The engine has a very different character too, brutale one is way less linear both in torque and hp compared to mt09.

Well some of that might depend on the gearing, and where the peak power lies on the curve. The 1050 can do 120kmh all day in mid range, and have plenty of power still available.

KTM 1290R.

It has a sistership in the 1290SMT and many of the parts will swap over if you wanted to go full tour. I've put 10K miles on a 690 Duke, and a friend has a 990 SDR. Great bikes. Have had zero issues.

If you like the RSV4 you should check out aTuono V4 though. It's a fuckin' great naked bike. Had one up to 145 on a demo ride. Comfy, can even get saddlebags on that bitch for touring. Still might buy one myself this year..

You need to go out and ride each of them yourself, twice. I spent 2 months test riding bikes before j purchased my gsxr750. There were a lot of other bikes that were hyped up that when I tested out I realized wasn't really for me.

Test ride each bike you like twice on separate occasions so you know your mood/traffic/weather etc aren't affecting your thoughts. Don't listen to the salesmen either, they're just after a sale. 99% of bikes these days are reliable, quicker than you'll need, and generally perfect. So choose one that suits your size, posture, riding style. No reviews from Veeky Forums can tell you what you really like.

Also consider the fact for the price of a new bike you can usually buy 2 semi decent bikes if you want a touring bike for the gf and a Hoon bike for the weekends

mt 09 = 10.000euros
mt 10= 15.500 euros
and superduke is around 17.900euros
so yea the bikes are not close in matter of price or horsepower, but these are the 3 bikes i would love to own, sadly i can own only one of them. the mt 09 has more than enough power, at least for me, but the superduke just looks better imo. i threw in the mt-10 cause it looks unique and thought it might do a better job at touring than the mt-09.

the brutale felt alive in when the rpm was higher than 7k , and the torque wasnt that good. it would do a great job on the track though.
i dont really like the tuono, for some reason the looks doesnt appeal to me in this , naked, version.
well you would expect a naked bike to have its peak at mid range, but the MV Agusta 800 brutalle , had a "supersport" feeling to it.

i know all that, and its a great advice. Cant afford 2 bikes though (insurance will go higher, and the taxes i pay will go higher as well, thats why i am trying to get 2 in 1) .

P.S. i know Veeky Forums cant tell me which one is better (For me) but i was feeling bored and had some questions, so thats why i started the thread. always fun to see how people differ from each other

Any time I post about this people think im lying, but I'll say it again. Buddy I rode with had a new brutale. Within 3,000kms it had been to the shop under warranty twice. (All paid for but still not what you want when you have a new bike). Unreliable garbage. Both times they updated the ecu/fuel maps (nothing to do with the mechanical issues, just while it was at the shop). Apparently MV are constantly adjusting them and if your bikes under warranty you can go to the shops and get it updated. This may solve some of the jerky/low torque problems you experienced.

Love the look of the bikes, if I owned a mv I'd have it in my lounge and stare at it all day, but the reliability is beyond a joke.

Why not GSXS1000

No worries. Where are you located out of interest? Can make a big difference in costs

italians tend to do a great job with the design, but "forget" to put the same amount of work on the electronics/engine.
i am not a big fan of the looks, and i dont have a suzuki dealership nearby the place i live sadly.

i went with a gixxus over an fz09 and fz10

basically because of price, got the gixxus for less than 10k

The MT-09 has terrible suspension, literally one damper to control the front end (yes, one damper in one fork, none in the other) until the 2017 refresh.

I'd get a Z1000 (or Ninja 1000/Z100SX, not ZX-10R) over the MT-09 desu, even as ugly as it is.

Bikes are so challenging that benchracing in a papa new guinean puppetry pavillion is pointless unless you are drag racing or good enough to compete in a real racing series.

Just ride one around for an hour and pay attention to practical aftermarket (ie: luggage)

OP, between the ones you listed I think you're best option may be a MT-09 Tracer. I think it's going to be the comfiest while still being able to perform well. The MT-10 is simply a more comfy R1 and the Duke is now KTM's flagship sport model. The MT-09 is more of a city bike, while it can be equipped to tour, it's not nearly as easy as just buying a MT-09 Tracer.

I owned one for over a year and 12k+ miles. Did a thousand mile trip on it and it was fantastic. Good wind protection and luggage hauling ability. It's also super easy to equip with hard cases as Yamaha has some factory ones.

I saw the FZ-10 in person a few days ago and I was honestly a little bit underwhelmed. The design looks kinda shitty and the bike just looks weird. I don't know how it rides but 130whp is pretty pathetic.

I'd go for the SuperDuke personally.

>130whp is pretty pathetic

Kys pls, my man...asap

yea i know the suspension issues, but the new 2017 fixed it a bit, everyone says is a lot better now.
yea , i did consider the mt09 tracer but i am not quite there yet to buy a "ADV" bike. I want something a bit more nimble and fun.
the grey/fluo combination looks good only on the mt 07. i first saw a fluo fz-10 in person and it looked terrible, but the tech black is waaaay better.

p.s. anything more than 90hp is fast..really fast.(on light/mid weight bikes like these)